All parent member reviews for The Elf on the Shelf: An Elf's Story

Parent Written byp1xelpush3r June 7, 2012

Mind numbing & terrible

I can't believe this infomercial is even allowed to exist to educate our kids on how to be materialistic. There isn't a single original or interesting or clever idea in this movie and to compare it to Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer is pure malarkey. This is a driveling, obnoxious, sad excuse for a cartoon that holds no educational or moral value to benefit the future. There is no depth, no layer of subtlety, and boring simplistic design. It is simply a long commercial. My 4 year old was uninterested and forgot about it 2 minutes later. Skip this one - you'll thank me.
Parent of a 1, 5, 7, and 7 year old Written byFowlerFan November 23, 2013

There are a lot of good Christmas shows out there ... the classics such as Rudolph and Frosty. Or new titles, such as the Prep and Landing series. This ... is not one of them. Syrupy and overdone. The musical numbers are cheesy. I guess kids will be okay with it, because after all, the bar is pretty low for 2 year olds.
Parent Written bybumpers November 27, 2011

elf in show says there is no santa

this is a good show but beware the first part of the movie. Santa says to the elf wow you have a big job to do this person does not believe in santa anymore. I realize there are a lot of shows that say it but why put the question in their mind. Just say he lost the spirit or magic. We all know what that means. later in the show the elf comes back saying he's sad he still has a lot of work to do and feels he's disappointing santa because the child still doesnt believe. in the end the child ends up believing. But like i said saying the words is very direct.
Parent Written byCreativeMom2 January 3, 2016

True Christmas Classic for Kids!

What's not to like? As a parent I really appreciate this for what it is--a sweet Christmas special with timeless messages like Christmas being a time for forgiveness and celebrating the season with love, joy and peace. This is cute and entertaining for adults who watch this with their children in mind and don't expect complicated plot lines. The songs are fun. There are no scary, bad guys. The themes are sweet. I do agree with the main reviewer that if your kids don't already have The Elf on the Shelf they will be clamoring for it... but after watching this, I'm not so sure that is a bad thing. I can't help but chuckle at everyone who made remarks that this is too commercial. I mean, really... do you think Rudolph, Frosty and Charlie Brown haven't made a fortune on merchandise? I don't think this is any different and I don't think the movie dwells on the "product" at all--other than helping to explain that the packaging is how an elf comes to your home. It's simple and sweet and stays true to the spirit of Christmas I want my children to celebrate.
Adult Written byLowe's man May 20, 2014

This elf should be on your shelf.

This elf, Chippey, has a big job to do. Upon discovering that Taylor no longer believes in Santa Claus, Chippey tries to get Taylor to believe once again, something that both Chippey and Santa want. At first it's tough, for, in addition to not believing in Santa Claus, Taylor has a bad attitude. But, with the help of Chippey, he goes through a major attitude adjustment. Not only does Taylor believe in Santa Claus at the end, but his whole behavior becomes better. Mission accomplished. Since Chippey succeeded in a very difficult assignment, he's obviously a very good elf. He's very cute too, I might add. Put this elf on your family's shelf.
Educator Written bymaddox121 August 31, 2015

Ever since we got Alfred-the elf (an elf on the shelf) we watch it every christmas

the protagonist (Chippey) loses his flying power. thats the only red card. that's the end.