Parent reviews for The Emperor's New Groove

The Emperor's New Groove Poster Image

Not your average Disney movie, but a GREAT COMEDY! :D

This is a very different and very fun Disney movie! I remember watching it as a kid and really enjoying it. The thing about "The Emperor's New Groove" is that it's not supposed to be taken that seriously, it is mostly made for laughs. And rewatching it as an adult I can definitely see their wide use of different kinds of comedy, all from physical to psychological jokes, to visual jokes and more! However, thankfully, it still does have some calmer moments where they talk about the movie's moral and about what is right and wrong, which I also found very impacting as a kid. So while it is a comedy, it still has a nice story and Kuzco has a lesson that needs to be learned. The peasant Pacha is probably the best role model in this movie, since he's so kind and is the voice of reason and gets to guide Kuzco in the right direction. The evil Yzma's henchman Kronk is also very sweet, probably the nicest henchman to a Disney villain ever! And despite all the jokes, they actually manage to get a nice atmosphere and setting here, with their representation of the Inka-people. This world looks so beautiful and peaceful and the backgrounds are gorgeously made. And llamas are a big theme of this movie. ; ) "wink, wink, mild spoiler". It may not be for everyone, but overall, this is a really good movie if you want to have a good laugh, and something that goes outside of the typical Disney format (since this is not a musical or romance or anything like that, though it has at least like one song in it). Perfect for the Friday night, I would say! :D

Shawty’s like

a melody

This movie taught my kids the abcs

We’ve moved on.

The title character’s behaviour is repulsive. He might redeem himself at the end - we didn’t get that far - but by then, the damage is done. Dark Disney at its worst.

Don't Waste your Time.

As far as Disney movies go, this one was a waste of time. The animation is lousy (think of 90s style "Animaniacs") and story is dull and the "funny" parts aren't that funny. My 8 year old laughed once. My 11 and 13 year olds were almost bored to tears. There's nothing objectionable about the content. It's basically a 2nd rate tale about how the emperor is a self centered egotist that learns a bit of humility. The only redeeming feature of the film is the voice of John Goodman. Otherwise, take your 1 hour and 22 minutes elsewhere.

Really funny

We really enjoyed this movie. While there is a little bit of tricky language, it’s minimal. And the jaguar scene is a bit scary. The outcome is satisfying after seeing the lead character slowly and comedically transform him from a rude, selfish kid into a kind leader who starts making better choices And recognizes the importance of teamwork and friendship. Krunk was our favorite character, along with Pacha, who is the heart of the film.

Meme worthy

Fun South American Disney fairytale, but too short on runtime. Rows of slapstick violence and lovely southern girls. Not a serious movie, and the animation is of course no Dinosaur 2000 standard. The movie can be too loud for some if watched in a home cinema. If you love this watch Ribbit another South American based cartoon comedy.

Very funny, not high-brow entertainment. Spoiler: the mother lives!

Very funny movie. Yes, some snarky sarcastic dialogue. And there is a villain and peril, but it is mild. One very refreshing change, the nuclear family survives intact! They are in the background not the main plotline, but still it was nice to see a happy family, competent and loving mother and father, who all manage to make it through the entire movie. Hooray!