Kid reviews for The Exorcist

The Exorcist Poster Image

Amazing movie, but not for everyone.

A classic horror movie for sure, known for the creepy nature, this movie is known as one of the scariest movies of all time, which I say is an overstatement. If you're easily scared by physiological horror and more specifically, movies where people get possessed, this one ain't for you. I watched this when I was 13 because I am a movie buff, and I wasn't scared. (There is some swearing, horror violence and mature themes). 13+
3 people found this helpful.

EXTREMELY well-done horror movie about demonic possession.

Although it’s not scary nowadays, as it was made in 1973 and the effects are outdated, it is still extremely well-done with a build-up and generally spooky/demonic atmosphere. Also hats off to the acting! Violence 7/10: The film is more creepy than violent; however, there are scenes of violence. Regan (possessed) gets out of bed and commits a number of violent acts to her loved ones and the priests; deaths occur too. Scenes of Regan suffering and being injected with needles, as well as self-mutilation. Sex 5/10: Regan (possessed) frequently insults the priest sexually, using the words “c—k” and “f—k” sexually at them. A statue clearly has an erection. Urination on a carpet (no nudity). A scene of self-mutilation for pleasure. (Read the Expert CSM for more info on that.) One character is grabbed by the crotch. Language 8/10: The profanity is not too frequent, but when it happens it’s very graphic. Although it’s mostly said by possessed Regan, some uses of “f—k”, “s—t”, “damn”, “hell”, and “ass” are used angrily by her mother. However, Regan says “f—k” sexually, “motherf—-ing”, “c—k” sexually, “c—ting”, “f—got”, “hell”, and strong insults to God and Jesus. About 2 or 3 uses of “c—t”. Drug use 5/10: Casual drinking, a sedative, one character is a drunk, cigarette smoking, and verbal references to drugs.

3 people found this helpful.

A film that still hits hard decades later is a necessary watch for it's important questions and themes but one that kids should avoid at all costs, featuring sexual content, strong language, and terrifying imagery and atmosphere that earns it's spot as the scariest film ever made.

The Exorcist is a 1973 horror movie directed by William Friedkin and starring Jason Miller, Linda Blair, Mercedes McCambridge, Ellen Burstyn, Max von Sydow, Lee J. Cobb, and Jack MacGowran. Language(5/5): While the film isn’t very frequent with it’s profanities, when they appear, they are very shocking and very vulgar, most of the worst being said by the possessed 12-year-old girl. The film contains over 20 uses of “f**k”, 6 uses of “c**t” and “b**ch”, 4 uses of “s**t”, “hell”, “damn”, and “bastard”, 3 uses of “a**”, 2 uses of “c**k”, “a**hole”, “sl*t”, “t*ts”, “whore”, and “d**k”, and one use of “c***sucker”, “bloody”, and “piss”. There is also occasional use of slurs, including a scene where Burke goes on a racist rant against a man he accuses of being German where he calls him a “Hitler-lover”, “Goebell sympathisizer”, “kr**t”, “Nazi”, and “h*n” and the demon saying “shove it up your a**, you f***ot” once. The blasphemy elements of the film in particular are the most unrestrained, with the demon disregarding the sacred nature of the Virgin Mary, death, crucifixes, innocence, children, good, faith, and especially the main Christian figures, with over 50 abuses of “J*s*s Chr**t”(other then the demon, Regan’s mother does say this in vein a lot as well), 4 uses of “G**”, 2 uses of “l*rd”, and 6 uses of “g****mn”, each of these words either being said in anger or in extreme disrespect. The demon also uses S**anic propaganda and states that “the sow is mine” when approached by the doctors. Other then the words being listed statistically, the words context are also extremely shocking, including the demon making Regan say “F*ck me!”, “Keep your fingers away from my g******ed c***”, “Let J**** f*** you!”, and urging the other men to take advantage of her, shouting “stick your c**k up her a**, you motherf***ing worthless c***sucker!!”. The demon also takes advantage of Father Karras’ struggles in several disturbing scenes, encouraging him to “f***” Father Merrin, relentlessly mocking his failure to help a homeless man, his loss of faith in Christianity, and most of all, his mother’s death, taking the form of his mother’s body, speaking in her voice, and saying possibly the most famous line in the movie, “your mother s*cks c***s in hell”, which takes a horrific new context after watching the entire movie. Mrs. McNeil calls priests “witch doctors”. Sex(5/5): The film contains several graphic scenes with sexual content and nudity that are not remotely gratitious or intended for pleasure but are instead horrifically disturbing. Several scenes show the statue of the demon that’s implied to have possessed Regan, which has a large erect penis that is shown in detail. Regan urinates on the floor early on and her mother later washes her in a bathtub(no nudity depicted). During a surgery procedure, Regan’s chest is briefly nearly exposed. The demonic Regan picks up the psychiatrist by his testicles and throws him the air. Multiple scenes depict sacred deities being desecrated with sex and violence, including an image of a statue of the Virgin Mary being given a penis and exposed breasts dowsed in blood, and of course the infamous crucifix scene. Mrs. McNeil runs in the room and sees Regan stabbing a crucifix into her genitals for the purpose of nonconsensual m*sturbation, her parts are partially visible but a nightgown and layers of blood covers the majority of it from view. Her mother tries to intervene, throwing the cross aside, but then the demon buries her face down under her dress screaming “l*ck me”, Mrs. McNeil slaps the demon’s hand away before being sexually assaulted orally and reappears with blood covering her face. The demon encourages the two priests to r*pe Regan and each other, describing or*l and an*l sex, p**oph**ia, and r*pe in tons of detail(see Language). Burke drunkenly comments that he’s found “alien pubic hairs” in his drink. The film contains both graphic male and female nudity put in contexts that makes it impossible not to give it a 5/5 for this section and impossible not to warn viewers about. Drinking, Drugs, And Smoking(2/5): Burke gets very drunk at a party on an unspecified alcohol, characters smoke frequently as was the time period, Father Merrin takes several pills that are assumed to be medical in purpose, and Chris states she “doesn’t even smoke grass” when asked if she possesses drugs. Violence(5/5): The film contains multiple scenes of horrifying and violent visuals that are well spaced out and often seem to come out of nowhere and are oozing with tension and realistic amounts of gore. The beginning with Father Merrin features an ominous statue of a demon seeming to inspire a fight between two dogs and a evil presence in the area. The happy family of the McNeil’s finds Regan with a ouija board in the basement, which she briefly plays with. At night, the house seems to be creaking, and as Mrs. McNeil inspects the attic, her candlelight catches fire on a dead lightbulb and comes out of nowhere as a jumpscare. Regan tells her that her bed was shaking and she couldn’t sleep. Regarding the priests of Georgestown, one of them finds a statue of the Virgin Mary desecrated with exxaggerated sensitive parts soaking blood. One of the priests, Father Karras, is struggling with multiple issues in his life, and eventually gives up his life as a priest after his mother passes away off screen. Before her death, his mother is shown inside of a hospital home that she is clearly upset to be stuck in and knowing that he put her in there, Karras feels responsible for her death as he knew her health was declining and she would’ve survived longer under his care, the whole sequence is very heartbreaking. Later, Karras dreams about seeing his mother again and her leaving him once more, then briefly seeing a demonic face and waking up in a sweat. After intentionally aggravating a man with racist comments, Burke and a waiter briefly get into a brawl that ends quickly. Regan’s behavior becomes increasingly strange as she urinates on the floor at a public party and can’t sleep, and Mrs. McNeil is getting more concerned before hearing her screaming and seeing the entire bed lifting up off the ground and shaking her in the air as she jumps on and tries to help her. She sends Regan to the psychologists, where she aggressively rejects the medicine they provide and swears profusely at them. Eventually, they decide to run a brain scan on here, and they show the process of the surgery in full detail. A needle is pricked into her neck and she winces in pain as her neck squirts out several giant leaks of blood before they connect the needle to a tube as her blood is studied while they get a giant claustrophobic machine around her face that examine parts of her brain offscreen. The scene is a very long and realistic depiction of surgeries in the 70s and is very hard to watch. They also place her in another machine that doesn’t have a visually graphic process but is still clear that she is distressed. After the results come out negative for any mental problems, Mrs. McNeil shows them proof of her condition when she calls them over as her outbursts become more violent, as she shakes up and down her bed and eventually is completely overtaken by the demon as it enters through her neck and her eyes roll back before snarling, smacking the doctors who try to intervene, insinuating violent sexual acts verbally, and getting viciously slapped by one of the doctors who then restrains her with a sedative. She is recommended a psychiatrist, but she assaults the psychiatrist as well after he askes if the demonic screams she lets out are the person inside Regan and the demon reveals it’s face through hers and grabs him up by his testicles and throws him completely in the air before biting him there as she is restrained and screams normally. Burke is found dead by the sidewalk with a crowd covering his body and his death being described as “having his neck completely turned around 180 degrees after falling from the stairs”. (The symbol “*” indicates this scene is only in the directors cut of the film) *As Mrs. McNeil grieves his death, she turns around and sees Regan crawling down the stairs backwards on her hands and feet turned around like a spider before she vomits up blood and screeches loudly.* The doctors suggest an exorcism after Regan’s face starts becoming plagued with scars. A detective discovers that the only way Burke could’ve died the way he did was by falling from Regan’s window. Mrs. McNeil moves a cross outside of Regan’s room before the detective arrives, but it disappears. As she looks around and realizes that the demon possessing her was responsible, she overhears their spirits clashing and destruction upstairs becoming louder, she walks in and discovers multiple objects spiraling around as she stabs herself with a crucifix, making the entire lower half of her body a blood-stained mess. She intervenes, but the demon enforces attempted sexual assault before she resists with blood all over her face and the demon slaps her across the face so violently that she falls into the wall, screaming in pain. The demon then moves the cabinet to close the door and almost crushes Mrs. McNeil with a dresser before turning her head almost completely halfway around the same way the detective said that Burke’s corpse looked like and then speaking in Burke’s voice yelling “do you know what she did, your c***ing daughter?” with a face covered in blood, scratches, and filth as her head is still turned completely around while her mother screams in horror. After asking Father Karras for an exorcism, he investigates the severity of Regan’s condition and finds her bedridden with a completely demonic green, misshapen, scratched, and bloodied face as he askes her questions and she responds as the devil, his mother, and the homeless man he previously denied to help. She then vomits a foul green substance all over him in a very effective jumpscare. Later, he pours false holy water over her and she responds in a ancient language while screaming quite horribly. That night, Karras finds her stomach and calls upon her where she writes “Help me” on the side of her body in scratches. Eventually, the church decides that an exorcism is completely warranted and calls Father Merrin, a revered priest, to deal with the demon, which terrifies the demon as it knows what he can do to it, even screaming out his name in terror and rage as soon as he enters the home. (SPOILER ALERT) The two priests deal out a battle of good and evil, where the demon at first seems at a disadvantage, but eventually the demon overpowers them, sticking out a giant lizard tongue, snarling obscenities and mentally abusing Karras through his mother’s death. The demon shakes the entire bed, the entire house, lifts up the bed, vomits over Merrin’s robe, turns it’s head completely around 360 degrees, and eventually levitates into the air with it’s eyes completely rolled back preparing another attack before the priests forcefully proclaim “The power of Christ compels you!” over and over until it gradually falls back into bed. After Karras thinks the demon is restrained, it breaks out of the bed and knocks him out with a bible and forces Merrin to the ground by shaking the house. It then gets on the bed and claws at the air as a light appears behind it and the statue seen in the beginning appears again in a flash. The demon then laughs hysterically after the exorcism readings begin again and the priests decide to take a break. Karras goes back in the room and finds the demon taking the complete human form of his mother. After he blinks, it goes back to Regan’s normal host and instead talks in his mother’s voice. Merrin returns and sees Karras being overpowered by it before Karras screams the demon isn’t his mother as Merrin declares he will finish it himself. Karras regains the courage to fight it and returns to find Merrin dead on the bed from a heart attack and the demon giggling gleefully. He finally goes into a rage and starts beating the demon’s body before proclaiming that the demon take him instead of her. Regan’s spirit finally comes back and the demon’s spirit escapes through the window then into Karras’ spirit. The possessed Karras attempts to kill Regan himself before regaining control and forcing himself out the window in sacrifice as he violently hurls down the steps and dies with a mangled body with his legs smashed and half of his head smashed into a bloody pulp which bleeds over the floor of the staircase. (SPOILERS OVER) The film is extremely violent but also powerful. Positive Messages(4/5): The film has a rather ambiguous but powerful message about faith, with a respectful reflection on all sides of the religious spectrum and encouraging faith in what you believe but also acceptance of changes in the world that mold your views even stronger. While I do think that the content of the film itself is enough to warrant a 18+, I lowered it to a 17+ and would even consider a 16+ or MAYBE 15+ because I think this is a message that everybody needs to hear, however, the film is way to graphic for me to actually consider that. Positive Role Models And Representations(3/5): Despite featuring multiple scenes depicting role models so deplorable it would take a real demon to even try and interpret them as in the right, the film is brought up by the determination and relentless courage of Regan’s mother, Father Merrin’s wisdom, bravery, kindness, and unshakable faith, and the message depicted in Father Karras’ character arc, who starts out flawed but becomes the hero of the story. Watching Experience: I came in with tons of anticipation and nerves, knowing that despite my writing off of a majority of horror films and being overjoyed when I find one that isn’t absolutely terrible, it was most likely that this would get to me. And it did. Sleeping was a bit of a struggle for a few days, and even my cousin was scared at parts, and she’s very tough when it comes to horror movies. I was stressed, constantly thinking and reflecting on important things in my life, shocked and horrified by multiple scenes, and I even got genuinely jumpscared to the point where my heart was beating out of my chest for the only time in a horror movie other then The Shining. Highlights: The character arc of Father Karras, the special effects, the performances, and the entire end Lowlight: N/A Quality(opinionated): Easily one of the best films I’ve ever seen of the horror genre, the Christian genre, and movie genres in general, but it’s probably one of the films I consider the best that I will rarely revisit, because I want to go through high school with less to worry about. I do not see how anyone could write the film off as dated, cheesy, unintentionally funny(admittedly the “stick your ****” and the “MERRRRRRRIN” scream did make me chuckle), not shocking, and tame. Exempting the rare Hereditary, The Lighthouse, or The Babadook, horror movies I see today are either tired rehashes of old ideas or laughably pretentious and fake, so all the violence in those I saw at a young age and wasn’t effected by them at all, I laughed at the genre. But just the concept of watching this was terrifying to me. I’ve seen all kinds of possession stories, from Ouija to The Conjuring to The Nun even the awful sequels of this, none of them got to me because they suffered from the same problems listed earlier, so it’s not just the idea of possession, it’s because I knew this film was uncomfortably real, from the stories, people’s reactions, the content, and how my parents were effected, it was if the film itself was cursed(which isn’t far off if you look up the BTS, it’s actually just as scary as the film). I stayed away from any spoilers, and once I finally watched it this week, I was blown away. I finally felt a sense of both joy that I found something genuinely scary again and incomparable terror to the content. From the immeasurable talent in special effects making to the uncannily convincing acting performances to the fantastic script to the excellent messages and writing to the achievement of a horror deserving actual film analysis rather then a film pretending like it’s smart. The part that stood out to me the most was the character Father Karras. I think he’s one of the most developed characters in cinema and wasn’t even ruined in Exorcist III, with believable motivation, excellent acting, heartcrushing reveals of emotion, and a journey in faith that actually mirrors my own. The immense relatability and humanity present in him made the film engaging even when it wasn’t giving me wishes for a closer bathroom, and brought the film to a perfect ending with a marriage of the film’s most engaging elements, terrifying scenes filled with tension and horrific visuals and incredible retrospective on what it means to be religious in the final confrontation. I strongly recommend The Exorcist for those who are ready to have a great think session and can tolerate a few slower moments as well as possible health hindrances. (My rating) Rated R For a disturbing and realistic depiction of possession, bloody violent images and terror throughout, strong language including blasphemy and homophobic/racist slurs, graphic nudity and sexual content, brief drinking, and a scene with r*pe - all involving a minor.

Hell yeah

I love this movie and I will watch it so many more times I love it it might be scary but this is how I got over my fear of ghosts

...

I loved this movie, when a young girl is possessed by a demon a priest attempts to exorcise her, but it was good. A person falls down steps and dies, and in the end one of the priests dies, than the other priest is possessed and also falls down a tall flight of steps. At one point, the main part of the movie the little girl is being exorcised and says things like “your mother is a c*ck sucker” and things like that.

Explicit, Violences, overall not good for younger crowds

I think this wouldn’t be so good for younger kids, the girl has a potty mouth and has lots of violence in such scenes. I believe this would suit 13 year olds if they aren’t scared from violences or get uncomfortable or cannot be hearing bad words or explicit language.

Kids won't find it scary

The film is fine for kids these days. It will not scare them trust me I promise! It's a bit cheesy though.

not as scary as the omen

Scariest film ever. No freakin' doubt!!!

These faces...

Hilarious movie!

Good horror movie but the swearing could make a sailor blush!