All parent member reviews for The Express

Parent of a 10 and 11 year old Written bywrightmom December 5, 2008

Hard to watch the racial issues, but great story

I almost always agree with the Common Sense ages, but I did take my just turned 10 and almost 12 year old to see it. We have a connection to Ernie Davis due to where we live so it is a popular movie here. I spoke with the my kids before as I knew the racial issues were strong in the movie. It disturbed me to watch but gave good discussion before and after the movie. I would not take any younger child to the movie due to the racial topic and violence associated with it. Make sure you know your 10-11 year old and feel they are ready for this. It was disturbing to mine, but he could deal. All older kids should see as it is a great teaching movie.
Adult Written byLowe's man November 17, 2014

A movie about football- and a whole lot more!

When Ernie Davis was a young boy living in Uniontown, Pennsylvania he faced lots of racism. (Even if Jim Crow laws weren't official outside of the Southeast, they were informally observed in certain other parts of the country.) Being forced to run from his white tormentors gave him the idea to play football. Things got better for him when he moved to Elmira, New York, in the western part of the state, at age 10. The great skills that Ernie Davis had led to a scholarship at Syracuse University, and ultimately to being the first black player to ever win a Heisman trophy. Unfortunately, he wasn't allowed at the banquet that was given in his honor because of his race, so most of his teammates wisely boycotted the banquet. (It would be interesting to find out why a few didn't.) After graduation he was drafted by the Cleveland Browns. Unfortunately his health prevented him from ever playing pro football. He died a year after being drafted. Ernie Davis even had it even harder than Jackie Robinson. If you think about it it makes sense. After all, Jackie Robinson never had to play in the Southeast since major league baseball at the time was only in the Midwest and the Northeast. Davis, however, did have to play in the Southeast. A great way to see where we were in race relations in various parts of the country at the time. I'd highly recommend this movie.