All parent member reviews for The Fox and the Hound

Parent of a 15 year old Written byMarvin Martian May 14, 2011

Ausome film, with a great imagination. However blood is shown, with gun violence, and attack. Very sad scene in the middle
Adult Written bydragoonlover April 9, 2008

Adult Written bynduns November 2, 2014

Still a good film, but a few minor bits of wasted potential prevent it from being great

Like with Bambi, this is one of those Disney films that almost has too many cute moments and spends a long time getting to the dark and gritty content, but that I don't have a problem with. This is clearly meant to be one of Disney's more realistic animated films, and I think that's great. I love the relationship between Copper and Tod and how you can see just how the two have their falling out. However, where Bambi succeeded was that when it got to the dark, gritty stuff, it really showed you how harsh life could be. It lets you know how fatal a gunshot can be and how dangerous the life of an animal is. This film, on the other hand, has Copper turn against Tod for good when Tod accidentally leads the dog's mentor, Hunter, into a moving train thus getting him injured. The odds of anyone surviving something like that is slim and yet Hunter continues to live with nothing more than a broken leg. Honestly, with the way Copper reacted to this, I feel like it would have been much more powerful if Hunter had died instead of just being injured. Heck, in a later scene, you see him trying to take advantage of his injury and enjoying this new life of luxury he leads. Cop-out aside, this is still a good film that blends cuteness with the harshness of reality and gives us a very nice friendship between opposite sides that really works.
Educator and Parent of a 4 year old Written bycrkohring January 24, 2015

Sad movie

My 4-year-old doesn't get scared easily but the part where the lady leaves the Fox in the forest made her cry and it broke my heart. It helped a little when I tried to explain what was going on. In hindsight I would've waited a few more years before letting her watch this movie.
Adult Written byadvocatewhat'sright December 26, 2012

Best movie of ALL TIME, that is 100% fact!

It's just as another kid reviewer said. THIS IS THE BEST MOVIE EVER! I will never understand what's with people about it. Even though us kids on this site say 5 stars, and the adults 4 stars, I still wish OTHER sites felt the same way. Like, on IMDB it's rated as...a 7.1/10? And it gets worse; the total percent of positive opinions at Rotten Tomatoes was...69?! What is wrong with you guys?! Bottom line, if you can only see one movie in your life, and you never have, make it The Fox and the Hound! 5000/5
Parent Written byLittleBearsMom December 25, 2012

The Fox and The Hound movie creates a hope for the future.

There is a very accurate portrait of the present attitude toward the wildlife. It's harder and harder to protect what we love to be wild and free. But the movie is offering hope that kids who like it will grow to love and protect the environment.
Parent Written byreednem March 31, 2012

Good movie, scared the little ones

Good movie with themes on friendship and redemption. Even my 9 year old shed tears at end. 4-7 year olds scared of bear scene. Is overly ferocious and may give nightmares
Parent of a 5, 5, 11, and 15 year old Written bygoodman April 6, 2011

A good story

Its a good movie ppl may say its a baby move but its not it HAS A GROWN UP idea 2 kids(copper and todd) that are friends have to be separate because of tradition. MY 11 love it she say that it had i lot of friendship BUT a sad ending. MY 5 yaer old said there were to many guns and the bad guy broke lots of rules.
Parent of a 3 year old Written byplc711 March 9, 2011

Too scary for younger viewers - lots of guns and animal fights

A cute movie with some really loveable characters. However, it's pretty scary from a toddler's perspective. The fox is constantly being shot at the, the fox's mother is killed during the opening credits, there is a fire started to smoke out the foxes, use of metal animal traps, and many animal pelts showcased as the hunter's bounty. Not to mention a terrifying fight with a massive, red eyed bear at the end. As far as young ones go, this may be one of the more upsetting Disney movies. Some high points were the personalities showcased - the old lady who adopts the fox is wonderful, as is Mama owl and the two silly birds that spend the movie trying to get a little worm (who eventually turns into a beautiful butterfly).
Adult Written bypeter2820 January 24, 2011

excellent family movie, no one can hate it

" when you have a natural attraction you deserve a mutuall reaction, you gonna get a whole lot of satisfaction..." really a questionable song that ends well. Otherwise, perfect movie. All other aspects are beatufull, emotional and thought provoking.
Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written byLynn3050 January 9, 2010

Scary for younger kids

While this movie does have some redeeming messages about friendship, it was very scary for my 3 & 5 year olds. It had too many scenes with chasing and guns. While I knew going into it that it had a hunter in it, I didn't realize just how often he would be chasing the fox and shooting after him.
Adult Written bybunnyjo April 9, 2008

Not for sensitive kids

This movie came out after I stopped watching Disney movies so I had never seen it. It's an ok movie plot-wise except for three scenes. I didn't like the bear attack scene in the end although my 5 year old son was howling with excitement. He did not want to watch the scene where Amos is setting bear traps in the woods - we skipped that section. The main section that made him cry out loud and stop the movie until we talked about it was when Copper yells at Tod and says he will never forgive him, will never be friends and will "get him for this". It really upset my empathatic little fella. So maybe wait until they are older til you watch if you have a sensitive child.