Parent reviews for The Godfather: Part II

The Godfather: Part II Poster Image

One of the best sequels ever made

I do have to agree that calling Godfather Part II a sequel is rather insulting. It is one of those rare sequels that almost outdoes the first, and considering how amazing the first Godfather was that says a lot. The Godfather Part II is longer, but in some ways it is also richer. People may say like with the first it is slow and takes a while to unfold. Of course, but I think that was deliberate. Both this and the first Godfather have an elegiac quality to them that makes them even more compelling. For one thing, the film is very well made. The cinematography is simply gorgeous, whether it is dark or autumnal or picturesque, and the settings are wondrous. The music once again is outstanding, it is haunting and sticks in your head for a very long time. Then there is a brilliantly written screenplay that is intelligent and thoughtful, masterly direction from Francis Ford Coppola and a fabulously constructed story. The film does have some wonderful scenes-: the scenes where Vito flees Sicily has the grandeur of a silent movie, while the scenes in Cuba actually avoid being clumsy and confusing and the climax is extremely chilling. Not to mention the Pop Goes the Weasel scene, which was very funny. The acting is superb once again. Vito is brilliantly portrayed by Robert DeNiro in one of his better performances. I was also taken with Robert Duvall as loyal Tom, John Cazale and Diane Keaton. But the picture belongs to Al Pacino. He was great carrying the first Godfather movie, but he is even better here. He is simply phenomenal, and to be honest I think he should have won that Oscar. Overall, an amazing film and one of the best sequels ever to be conceived. 10/10 Bethany Cox

This movie is fantastic but, doesn't strike as hard as the first.

The violence is over all, a bit less agressive in this film, and there is definitely much less sex. The language is a bit more harsh, but language happens, and there is probably more language at your middle school or high school than, in this movie. Other than one scene, any teen could watch it. When (don't want to give spoilers) a guy is talking to an old man. he sticks a knife into the guy's belly and moves it up to his neck. It shows tonnes of blood pouring out of his belly and the man leaves the knife in the man's neck. This is why this movie is not for children and definitely deserves a hard r rating.

Not as good as the first , but still an excellent film.

Great movie . It includes moderate violence and profanity , but that's all. I recommend it 12 and up.

Should have been split into two films

The Godfather: Part II is beautifully directed and acted film, with an especially stellar performance from Al Pacino. The film is careful not to glorify the mafia and maintains their depiction as sociopathic power-hungry social parasites, who do not hesitate to opportunistically victimize the innocent in pursuit of their own gains. Also included in the film is many historical allusions as it takes place during the dawn of the Cold War. The setting of Cuba during one point in the film is an interesting reference to the political and socioeconomic situation of that country at the time. The only obvious problem with this film is that it is split into two storylines... One of Al Pacino's character, Michael Corleone, in the "present time." The other of Robert De Niro's character, Vito Corleone, during his early upbringing in Italy and eventual rise to power in New York. These two separate timeframes switch throughout the film and just make it feel a little disorganized. Would have been best to split those two timelines into their own films. By the end of the movie, The Godfather: Part II just feels slightly too long.

O god!

With 4th July over it is time to look at one of the highest scored IMDB movies The second Godfather movie. Some of the highlights are the Havana New Year Eve scene, and the boat scene. If you have 4 hours to spare on a boring day don't miss this movie to take you back to decades long gone.

not as scary as original

PG-13 A+

Even Less than the first movie...

I made a previous review on the first Godfather movie where I discuss why I think it's for 14 year olds. I'm going to do the same with the sequel, and that's only because I think a 14 year old can get what the movie is trying to tell us. Other than that I think it's more tamed than the first movie when it comes to violence and profanity; and the sex is non-existent.

Just short of the original, but still fantastic