Kid reviews for The Godfather

The classic tale of a Mafia family, violence and all.

Teen, 14 years old Written byTom Cruise Fan August 15, 2015

"The Godfather" movie review

"The Godfather" is my favorite film of all time. It is absolutely legendary. This film, along with "Goodfellas" redefined the gangster and crime drama genre. "The Godfather" is a cinematic masterpiece. Everything about this movie is perfect. The performances are absolutely pristine. Marlon Brando gives the best performance of all time, in my opinion, as Don Vito Corleone. This man is honorable, charismatic, and forgiving. Brando portrayed this character perfectly. Al Pacino was supposed to be the best part of the entire picture. In the beginning, I felt he was kind of useless and then the hospital scene and the Sollozzo scene occurred. Al Pacino was sensational as Michael Corleone. The movie is his character study. I think that Al Pacino deserved the Academy Award for this performance. James Caan was breath-taking as Santino. He was so natural, charming, and energetic. Robert Duvall as Tom Hagen, the lawyer was subtle and I think that 's what draws me to his performance. He is not bloated or energetic as Santino Corleone. The variety of characters is interesting: Vito's kindness, Michael's ruthlessness, Santino's anger, and Tom's loyalty. The story of Michael Corleone is my favorite aspect of "The Godfather". It is such an interesting and entertaining story. His mistakes are shown through metaphor instead of literal actions like "GoodFellas" and that is why I think that "The Godfather" is superior to "GoodFellas". This is a very quotable movie. Quotes such as "I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse." or "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli." are classic. The movie spans ten years and it is done perfectly. "The Godfather" is the best directed movie of all time. Everything fits in well. Francis Ford Coppola was born to direct this movie. He is one of the best film-minds of all time. How he did not win "Best Director" at the Academy Awards(R) for "The Godfather" is beyond me. The set decoration is brilliant. It looked like it took place from 1945-1955. The scenes in Italy look phenomenal. Obviously this is a very long movie because it spans a decade. That being said, this is a slow movie for the right purpose. It takes its time to develop. The opening 27 minutes are just heavenly filmmaking. "The Godfather" is filled with symbolism. This movie had many gems hidden. Why the movie is so compelling is because it came out in 1972 and it was a very accurate portrayal of the mob life. "The Godfather" is really violent and has lots of shocking violence. The score is not exciting, yet it fits in perfectly with the somber and melancholy background. The ending to "The Godfather" is the best ending I have ever seen. I wanted to see what would happen after Michael Corleone did what he did without spoiling. Ultimately, "The Godfather" is
a story about family and corruption of the human nature. It has perfect story-telling. This not a movie for everyone, but every film-lover has to see this movie at least once. I have seen "The Godfather" four times and it gets better with every viewing. If I had to choose one movie to watch right before I die or if I had to choose one movie to watch for the rest of my life over and over again, I would choose this picture or its sequel. We all have that one movie we can watch over and over again at any time as Roger Ebert said. For me that film would be "The Godfather". Every film class in America has to see this movie. It is my favorite film of all time and a movie I will continue to see many many more times in my life.

Kid, 11 years old May 14, 2014

Mandatory High Level of Maturity, Great Beginning

For all of those people saying they did not enjoy this movie, that is because they have not reached the level of maturity mandatory for viewing this film. It was boring to the people that could not understand what was happening.
I thought the introduction was riveting! The beginning explained to you what was going on, but in an intriguing way. The script was all very well written.
I watched about half an hour of the movie because my mother decided she didn't want to view the sex scene between Sonny and one of the bridesmaids with my young brothers in the room.
During the wedding, there were people smoking, but it was common back then.
From what I have heard, there is nudity involving a women's breast which is an extreme caution.
There is obviously a lot of violence. The movie revolves around the Godfather, who seeks revenge. In one scene, an owner of a horse awoke to finding the head of his horse in bed with him, which can be creepy.
Some people may say that the beginning is slow, and from what I saw, the character development is poor.
Basically, that is all I have to say about the movie, except one thing: it made me proud to be Italian.

Teen, 13 years old Written byI love classic March 17, 2020
This cinematic masterpiece isn’t very bad at all this movie can get at times a little violent but I recommend this for the strong hearted only this can be a very frightening and traumatic for some kids

Teen, 17 years old Written byoctober1985 July 8, 2009
It's a mafia movie that is fairly violent. There is also a topless scene. Very little profanity. There are also mature themes but anyone over 12 should handle it fine

Teen, 14 years old Written byStoutKinkajou1 July 9, 2021

Can be slow for some viewers, great mafia film violent

This film is one of the best films of all time, but it’s made for older audiences mostly because it is too violent but also because it is boring for younger kids. So here are my ratings out of 10.

Violence- 9/10. People are gunned down and shot point blank, hands are stabbed, people suffocate, heart attacks, etc. a pretty blood movie overall.

Language-7/10. It’s been almost a year since I’ve Watched it so I may be wrong but I’m pretty sure there’s only some S words and B words and D words and maybe 1 F word but I’m not sure.

Sexy stuff- 6/10. I had to close my eyes so I don’t know if anything inappropriate was shown but I do know there were moaning and kissing, but I think that’s it.

Drinking drugs and smoking- 7/10. It’s the mafia of course there’s drinking and smoking. But no drugs that I can remember.

Overall a masterpiece and will always remain one.

Teen, 15 years old Written byClorox bleach June 21, 2021

The Godfather

I thought this movie had good performances by Al Pacino and Marlon Brando. The story is ok and the music is good but I really liked the acting. If you are used to movies like goodfellas and casino then you may notice this is a different type of mob movie. I can see how this movie is overrated though. And I do prefer goodfellas than this because goodfellas had more action and was less boring. But that doesn’t mean this wasn’t a good movie. I recommend this movie but beware this isn’t anything like goodfellas or casino.

Teen, 14 years old Written byTheFilmPsycho June 18, 2021

I mean, it’s the Godfather

Iconic film with a lot of influence on pop culture. One of the best 3rd acts ever. Not overrated at all, you should definitely check this out if you haven’t seen the masterpiece already.
Teen, 15 years old Written bytequila May 22, 2021

For mature 13 year olds and above

This movie is a mafia classic that you should definitely watch at least once. There are some sex scenes (clothed characters) but sounds are audible. There is also a scene where the female breast is visible. This is why I recommend it for mature teens :) Not just because of that, but there is a lot of violence and disturbing content (gunshots and blood) that some people may find too much. If your a teen and this does not bother you along with the sex scenes than I guarantee you will enjoy this movie.
Teen, 15 years old Written byGtmkm98 May 22, 2021

Fantastic Movie!

This movie is a MUST-WATCH for any movie fan. From the fantastic performances by Marlon Brando and Al Pacino to the awesome direction and story-telling, this is not one to skip.

If watching with your teens, it's best to divide it along the VHS tape-swap time (back in the day, the movie was too long to put on one VHS, so it was put on two tapes), just before the tollbooth shooting of Sonny Corleone. This is a complex, thrilling movie that needs an intermission of sorts to truly enjoy.

The violence is stunning in the movie, especially from Sonny's death to the end of the movie. Even in the first part, the violence is shocking - especially the horse-head incident. Several point-blank shootings, strangles, and other bloody deaths. Sexual situations are not as common as anticipated - one sexual scene near the beginning and some nudity and couple fighting near the middle - any other sexual content is innuendo. The rest of the 'cover-your-eyes' content is very bloody violence.

From the beginning, this movie is highly mature - the opening is a monologue of the speaker's daughter's brutal beating in the name of tradition. Right before the 'intermission' is a scene of domestic abuse. Other highly mature topics are explored throughout the movie, especially as we witness the transformation of Michael into a mob-boss - a journey of betrayal, death, and destruction.

Even with the sex, drugs, and horrendous violence of the movie, this movie is a must-watch for anybody who loves movies and has interest in the mafia.
And if you are worried about movie length, his movie really flies by if you are interested.

Kid, 11 years old April 26, 2021

Classic.

One of the best movies of all time, no doubt. However, it isn't that kid-friendly.

Violence 7/10: Frequent non-graphic violence including shootings and brutal beatings.
Sex 7/10: Sex talk; romantic elements, themes of infidelity, a short sex scene with breast nudity, implied prostitution.
Language 7/10: Mostly mild language, in the "bastard" range, but there are some racial slurs used by the characters pretty frequently ("n----r", "g----a") and Italian swears ("v--------o").
Drug use 5/10: Only wine drinking and cigarette smoking onscreen, but a plot point of the film involves drugs.

Teen, 13 years old Written byRobotChicken24 April 21, 2021

THE BEST MOVIE EVER

It is appropriate

Teen, 14 years old Written byCowLikesMovies March 31, 2021

I mean, yeah

You know it's good

Written byAnonymous March 9, 2021

Best. Film. Ever. Made.

Violence and very breif nudity. Should be fine for mature 12 year olds and all teens. I knew someone who watched this when he was 9. And he was fine with this.
Teen, 15 years old Written byBiggiecheese69 February 21, 2021

One of the best movies ever made!

Francis Ford Coppola's film is one of the best films ever made. it has 1 or 2 violent scenes, but anyone 12 and up could handle it. the reason i rated it 13 is because its hard to follow.

Teen, 13 years old Written byLeonvol January 25, 2021

The classic of all classics

This movie is the most classic movie of all time and I think it’s because it was one of the first mob movie that was made. I think it’s not violent But the story is good and the characters is played really good. But I will say 13+ because it can be hard to understand some times
Teen, 13 years old Written byBox1 January 21, 2021

The Godfather Review

I first saw it when I was 13, and I was shocked. Even though this movie came out in 1972, the violence is pretty extreme. Good story, though.
Teen, 14 years old Written byWbobs January 21, 2021
Nudity, sex, bloody violence and drug usage, strong adult themes. I would say that people at 14 or 15 could watch it but I said 17 because you have to be mature to even get an understanding of the plot and plus the themes that are presented in the film are mature.

Teen, 16 years old Written byilhc January 9, 2021

Magnificent portrait of organized crime

This is by far the best movie ever to give a portrait organized crime, this movie goes deep inside and shows it all inside out.. With superb acting by especially Al Pacino as Mike Corleone and Marlon Brando as Don Vito corleone this movie shows how one of the head mafia families in New York works, it gives a detailed picture of how their business runs and what kinda chances they got to take on their business, for example their denial to step inside the narcotic business brings on alot of troubles, but also it shows what kinda sacrifices they make, every day could be their last day.. Al Pacino shines above all in this movie, as the smart boy of the family he returns after fighting a war for his country, at that time not involved in the family business, but it doesn't take long before the war breaks lose and he see no other ways than to step in and fight for his family. This is definetely a "must see" masterpiece.

Teen, 15 years old Written byembot January 8, 2021

Amazing

Teen, 15 years old Written byDogcat December 29, 2020

Trash!

My grandpa likes these movies! We have the whole box set. My mom said that she had nightmares about the horse head or something when she was little and amp; she slept at the end of my grandparents’ bed when she saw it! This is nightmare material! DON’T watch it!