Parent reviews for The Gods Must Be Crazy

Charming family film makes you think; expect some shooting.

Based on 1 review
Adult Written byNsschauermann January 18, 2020

Nudity, clothing disasters and mild profanity

The beginning of the movie shows tribal woman’s breasts many times and a woman who has multiple clothing disasters showing her in her underwear on several occasions. We could have skipped all the bare chests and wardrobe malfunctions and it would have been good for the whole family. The scenes with the truck had us rolling.

Adult Written bysnsn January 8, 2020

Gods must be crazy

Good and funny movie probably laughed 1000 times.

Parent of a 5 and 8-year-old Written byAmanda B. March 18, 2018

Definitely charming and fun. Some issues with violence and stereotypes

My 8-year-old said something about walking to the ends of the earth and I experienced a flashback to this childhood favorite of mine. Successfully dug it out of iTunes for family movie night. It was totally fun — with a couple issues.

Kids enjoyed the movie a lot. They loved the sight gags, they learned things about culture and life of the San people in South Africa (see related culture issues below). The plot kept them engaged, they both got something out of the messages — question the need for material things, prize humane interactions and harmonious relationship with nature over all. Yes there is that shooting in the beginning, I had them close their eyes for it. It wasn’t an issue in my family but I could imagine some kids being upset; recommend skipping over that scene if that’s the case, just explain what happened.

Watching this 1980 movie from the lens of 2018 does raise some questions in my mind about stereotypical portrayal of the roles of black and white people, and also men and women. The San people are called Bushmen — and described as childlike. There’s a pretty and fairly helpless female lead who needs rescuing all the time. The movie as a whole is a sincere effort (I think) on the part of the filmmakers to be liberal minded (1980s version), but you certainly could have a discussion with kids before/after about stereotypes to make sure everyone is watching
critically.

Reading on Wikipedia after watching I learned this movie was super
Low budget, made locally in South Africa, that was a surprise international commercial success, which I think is interesting. It’s a totally charming film in many respects, I would give it two thumbs up, just keenthe above caveats in mind and address with kids as appropriate in your family.

Adult Written byEd P. December 29, 2016

Scared my 10 year-old

I have fond memories of seeing this movie as a teenager. My 10 year-old son seemed intrigued by the breasts of the African tribeswomen, but the terrorists shooting up people brought him to tears. My bad. We stopped watching. We'll try again in a few years. Also, plot set-up may be a bit slow for modern audiences.
Adult Written byUnknown Agent December 26, 2015

OK

This Film Contains some Cultural Nudity, of a Females breast's ( No Sexual way). Expect some PG Violence and very mild language ( one use of bas**** and other mild profanity).

My rating Pg-13 for some Cultural nudity and moderate Violence.