All teen and kid member reviews for The Great Gatsby

Teen, 16 years old Written bySean Broucek May 14, 2013

AWESOME

This gorgeous, brilliant hollywood update is sure to wow audiences with it's acting, lush style, and killer soundtrack, but may be too mature for 14-. There is excessive drinking, partial nudity, violent content, smoking, overwhelming parties, sexual material, and language. There is sexual intercourse, flirting, seduction, kissing, sme female buttocks shown during a sex scene, and a female breast flashed. Adults drink to excess, and there is two murders, one with a car, another with a pistol. Language includes one use of the N word. I would rate this PG-13 For Brief Violent Images, Sexuality And Some Nudity, Drinking, Language & Partying
Kid, 10 years old May 10, 2013

Cool

Teen, 15 years old Written bymovie loving teen May 12, 2013

A perfect adaption to one of the best american tales.

I was surprised by this movie I wasn't sure what to expect with the first remake being awful and all. But this was 100 times better and it followed the book very well. This movie is highly sexual and has partial nudity. Constant drinking and smoking and heavy partying. Not a lot of bad language and one pretty violent scene but still a hard PG-13. This has the positive message as in it proves that our image is what makes us who we are even though we are not what our image makes. The best movie of the year so far, 3.Oz: The Great and Powerful, 2.Evil Dead, 1.The Great Gatsby
Teen, 13 years old Written bydoubleE May 12, 2013

The Great Gatsby is a Phenomenal Movie but Hard to Tell if its Appropriate for a certain age

The movie was an AMAZING movie with a great soundtrack, storyline, and visuals and it's true to the book but there are some iffy scenes. There are two sex scenes but nothing is shown that is over the top. There's a scene in which many people get drunk and some have sex in an outrageous party scene but that is as worse as it gets. The entire movie is about couples having affairs, so their is many discussions about that. Also, there are some violent images such as people committing suicide. The party scenes are crazy and many people get drunk but its nothing a mature thirteen year old can't handle, such as my-self. If you tween or teen is mature and has read the book, I think its fine, though many people have different views on this movie.
Teen, 14 years old Written byAbigail Fletcher May 11, 2013

The Great Gatsby- Spot On Perfection

*I DO POSSIBLY GIVE AWAY SPOILERS, SO IF YOU SO NOT KNOW THE PLOT LINE OF THIS STORY YOU MAY POSSIBLY LEARN THINGS YOU DID NOT PREVIOUSLY KNOW* I am a young person who read and absolutely loved this book, and I can most certainly say the same about this movie. I've discussed this book with a few others who have seen it, like my mom (who went with me to see the premiere of the movie I had talked about and anticipated for so long) and we both agreed Baz Luhrmann took a risk with the music, but we both agree that risk was well worth it. The modern music and soundtrack gave the movie (set in the '20s) a nice modern flair that younger people would most certainly be able to connect to. I have absolutely no complaints about this movie, and I have referred to it to many people as "spot on" to the book. I chose to mark the "positive role models " box, as Gatsby himself as well as Nick Carraway had qualities that inspire people to do kind things for people, and also to believe in themselves and in others. I also checked the "positive message" box, as this movie teaches children to believe in things out of the ordinary, especially things that aren't necessarily very common to believe in, and no matter what other people believe of those things. However fantastic I may believe this movie is, I felt the need to check the box for sexuality, as this movie is somewhat centered around a couple (Tom and Daisy Buchanan) who are each having an affair behind the other one's back, as well as the love between Gatsby and Daisy (which tends to become a bit graphic at times; something, although somewhat vulgar, the movie could not be without). The final thing I have chosen for this movie would be the drinking and smoking. To me, being a member of society's youth, the schools have done an amazing job of teaching us to beware these things, which is why I personally, do not have a problem with this concept of the story. Nick Carraway gives a small prelude to the story, and he says "New York, 1922. The world was changing~ Buildings were taller, parties were bigger, morals were looser and THE LIQUOR WAS CHEAPER". This raises a red flag to many parents, but it should not. After the prohibition on alcohol was lifted, liquor and drinking, as well as smoking, was a big part of nearly everybody's lives. Many characters, including Daisy, Jordan, as well as Tom and several others smoke, but this was common back then (before people knew the dangers of tobacco and alcohol), and Luhrmann chose to play this movie as true to the time as possible. However, I believe everyone should see this movie, and I believe it is a wonderful thing for people above the age of thirteen should defiantly see.
Teen, 15 years old Written byCoolrockboy3 September 6, 2013

Great Movie, but may bore some People

"The Great Gatsby" (Based off of F. Scott Fitsgerald's Classic Novel) is an amazing movie, though may seem incredibly boring for some people. There is a lot of hard partying which includes a large amount of drinking, from both main and unnamed characters. One or two of the main characters smoke. Some sexual content which can easily be skipped through if a child under the age of 12 and wants to watch it. There is basically a love triangle throughout the movie that may concern parents, and bore kids. There is some of violence. Bloody aftermath of a car crash. All in all I give "The Great Gatsby" 4 Stars but I think maybe anyone 13+ could see it.
Teen, 13 years old Written bydancer4life11 August 1, 2013

Great Gatsby - A Great Period Movie!

This movie was amazing. I just loved it, and so did my mom (who had read the book beforehand). I have to agree that it glorified drinking, smoking, and sex. But you have to remember that this movie is set in the Roaring 20's. This is a time when all the rules about marriage got looser. When it comes to drinking, this is the time of Probation, when alcohol was, for the majority, banned. Since this movie was based on the rich New York party crowd I'm the 1920's, this movie was very accurate. Language wise, there is quite a few d**n's and some h*lls but nothing more than that. There is some scenes that imply people are having affairs but nothing more than their shoulders up shown. For violence, a man beats his wife and another thing happens that I won't share because of spoilers. But nothing to intense. People drink and smoke (cigars, cigarettes) at the parties and some are shown to be drunk. This movie is very thought provoking and is so much more than a romance. You will leave the theater thinking, "What just happened." You get completely sucked into the movie and the ending leave you bewildered. I whole-heartily give this movie 5 stars!
Teen, 14 years old Written bycatherineodon June 16, 2013

The Great Gatsby - Amazing.

I am 14, and went to see The Great Gatsby with my Mum after pestering her for days, as she was initially reluctant to go after reading on some other sites that it was an average movie with very little depth. However, she was proved wrong as we both really enjoyed this film. Leonardo DiCaprio was probably the only person ever who could pull of Jay Gatsby's manner without making the audience cringe, and he was absolutely incredible at playing this character. Toby Maguire was also very good as Nick Carraway, as was Carey Mulligan as the shallow, foolish Daisy. This movie was very true to the original story, with very few changes made from the book to the big screen, and I even feel that it captured the very spirit of the book, despite many critics saying that it lacked emotion. The main plot is essentially easy to grasp, however, children younger than 11 or 12 may not fully understand some of the themes in this movie, depending on maturity. It does however make spectacular viewing no matter what the age, as Baz Lurhmann has done a brilliant job on capturing the sparkling New York of the 1920's.
Teen, 16 years old Written byDaisyBuchanan November 22, 2015

Complexly Brilliant

It can be difficult to understand and follow at times, but the plot is beautifully portrayed with twenty first century thematic elements. Drinking is a large theme I this movie, so I would mostly recommend this for adolescence who understand that the message they are attempting to show is the negativity involved in substances, not to encourage the behavior. Lovely love story and very dynamic characters.
Teen, 17 years old Written bybel8910 July 22, 2013

Brilliant Movie for Teens and Older

I thought this movie was absolutely brilliant, and did a very good job at sticking to the book. It probably isn't appropriate for children, but it's definitely a lovely movie if you're older.
Teen, 16 years old Written byUnknownpearson May 29, 2013

Cool!

Great movie just great!set in 1922 billion air gatsby comes to town and fall in love with a beautiful but the women is married making gatsbys quest for love untrue.
Kid, 10 years old May 11, 2013

Cool

Teen, 14 years old Written bysasou0079 April 14, 2016

great!

I loved this movi because it is with leonardo dicaprio and because it was a bit romantic. First, for the parents or others, it does have some party but nothing discusting not nudity, nothing. People are drinking and smoking but you have to know it goes with this time so its normal. There is two sex scene but you do not see anyting, you pass it quick like I did and it's fine. It is a dramatic, romantic story wich is brilliant!
Teen, 14 years old Written byAidan Powell October 12, 2015

Pretty Good

The movie is very good in its story and acting but contains some disturbing parts and some sex in it. There is only one sex scene and it isn't really that graphic but there is a lot of sexual references. Other than that, this is a stellar movie.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJimmy Brew July 21, 2015
Kid, 12 years old June 2, 2015

Young children may not understand

I have read the book (and loved it!) and the movie marvelously portrays the book. I'd say that some children 12 and under may not understand the plot and the different characters, like how Tom is a married man having an affair and just different things like that. As you're scrolling through the sight, you are probably getting anxious about the scene where Tom's mistress gets hit by a car. If you are uncomfortable with it, watch it first and then decide if it's appropriate. If you don't like it, just skip over it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byrebo344 April 2, 2015

The Great Gatsby was overall great.

Baz Luhrmann did a fair job with this film. The acting was spectacular, with Joel Edgerton giving the best performance. The visuals and party sequences were stunning. The 3-D was OK.
Kid, 11 years old October 22, 2014

Dazzling

Violence- 3 (A man slaps a girl, a girl is run over and SPOILER ALERT, Gatsby is shot violently) Sex- 3 (Lots of sexual dancing and some rude scenes) Drinking, drugs and smoking- 2 (A character is very drunk)
Kid, 10 years old August 22, 2014

the great gatsby movie review

this movie is fine for 13 and older because of some swearing, partying, drinking. but a great movie
Teen, 14 years old Written byCurmagicwithin June 7, 2014

I hated this movie!

THis movie was just terrible, it was so long and the story was just on going, not even Leo could save this movie!