Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for The Grey

Bloody wilderness survival story has lots of violence.

Adult Written bylolo33 January 29, 2012

Dire!

awful movie, poor acting,lots of blood,gore and swearing, and i would imagine very bad news for wolves in the wild, in this dire movie they are irresponsibly portrayed as blood thirsty killers, when in actual fact they are shy and fearful of man.
Adult Written byPennyloafer January 27, 2012

Surprise Ending

Very dark and foreboding. The "F" word was used predominately throughout the film. Lots of gore and blood. I love Liam Neeson, but did not enjoy this film.

Adult Written byBenjiroodler October 6, 2012

The Grey

Great Movie! I'm 9 years old.

Adult Written bycommonsenseuseit January 31, 2012

for all you complainers

ok, first off people that complain that ohhh its too violent for kids then why would you bring them? you should first research the movie it clearly tells you its for adults only. quit complaining about the language im sure you use it more than the movie. COME ON NOW!! and for the fact that the wolves is clearly off? do you live with wolves? im sure you know nothing bout them. they can be dangerous when protective of their TERRITORY. as does any animal. WOW
Adult Written bymrblurr February 3, 2012

Not for kids, but an interesting story

It's a good poetic story at the heart of the movie. Sadly, that story is wrapped around a constant used of F*ck and other swearing all through the movie. I wouldn't take any child under 17 to see it, ever. There's blood and gore, but I wouldn't say it's a gory movie. It's realistic, you cut your leg, you bleed. I will say there is a lot of people getting hurt in the movie, so if you get nauseous from blood, just know it's bloody. Wait till it's on TV and censored, then it will probably be a great movie for most kids over 14.

Adult Written bybadalucco January 31, 2012

Realism

(Spoiler alert) I read a few reviews here, but decided to see the movie anyhow, and I'm glad I did. Very rarely do movies leave you feeling so overwhelmed with thought and contemplation. ‘The Grey’ is an intense sermon; a last prayer in the religion of survival and a hymn to the resounding belief that we can overcome our greatest challenges with perseverance. Neeson draws upon the memory of his wife and her message, "don't be afraid," and a flashback between him and his father. He also draws upon the happiest memories he has in the most perilous of situations and helps others around him to do the same in their last moments. It is a survival story with a colorful cast of characters that offer diversity of opinion, beliefs, and personalities. Conflicts between a few of the men reminded me how we all approach our fears differently, and how in difficult times, it's the happy moments that help you relax and endure. I found this movie to be a powerful allegory for the times we live in. The power of resiliency is arguably one of the most inspiring attributes an individual can possess. Metaphorically we all have wolves, storms, and rivers blocking our paths throughout life. We have experienced crashes, whether economic or personal and survived dire straights. I actually really enjoyed the ending. It's not a typical feel good Hollywood ending. Maybe one expects going to the movies should help them escape realism, whereas this ending depicts a truer and more realistic resolution. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the connection this ending tied to the opening of the film: Neeson's hand feeling the wolf's last breathe & Neeson's head lying on the wolf's body as they both presumably take their last breathe which capsulates the poem Neeson recites frequently throughout the film: "Once more into the fray, Into the last good fight I’ll ever know, Live and die on this day ... Live and die on this day ..." RE: age appropriate. I think this movie is too strong for kids. I think 15 and up could handle it based on individual maturity. There are good messages, but they are deep messages which deserve conversation and contemplation.

Adult Written bysueshawn January 29, 2012

terrible

terrible movie. to much use of the f word even for adults..and even if a person is acting they should never look at the sky and scream those kind of words.

Adult Written byThat Therapist Guy January 29, 2012

Poor acting, gore, cumbersome theme, drenched with profanity.

As a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, I am consistently seeing younger and younger children exposed to questionable materials. I was interested in the concept of THE GREY, I like action, I like survival stories. I did not like THE GREY. I would recommend the producers add subtitles. Viewers struggle to hear the dialog between characters because the constant barrage of the word F**K is beyond pervasive. Secondly, the preoccupation with referencing the male genitalia seems over worked. The film itself is cumbersome and attempts to sustain attention via poor acting, gore, pervasive language and some ethereal ideas relative to the afterlife. I grasp a film attempting to capture the culture and dynamics of a particular group, but this film certainly ranks as deeply disappointing. IF your interested in a good survival story, look elsewhere.

Adult Written bygabe3973 February 14, 2012

People Complaining about to much Violence and Language

HMMMMM! Its rated R. So dont you think its rated R for a reason. 17+ Thats why there is a rating system. PPL complain about to many stupid things.
Adult Written byescape2007 February 11, 2012

Save your money

Why do movies feel they have to curse to draw in an audience? My every day dealings do not include persons who curse excessively. So why would I pay $$ to hear it? I didn't take away any positive message from this movie.

Adult Written byWilderWest January 31, 2012

Awful movie. Don't bother unless you just want good scenery.

The film is dull, misinformed and misleading. It's everything NOT to do if you're trying to survive a plane crash in the wilderness. One bad decision after another. The monster wolves are ridiculous.

Adult Written byPeeJay3965 May 13, 2012

Christian Audience Be Careful

This movie is full of f-bombs and bad language and that is a big turn off to me, but what really got me disgusted was when he looked up toward heaven and called God all kinds of curse words. Had I known this was in the movie, I would not have spent my $20 on it buying it from I-Tunes. While I love Lliam Neeson, no amount of money in the world would make me act and call God some of the names he did. Otherwise, it was a pretty good movie.

Adult Written byNormanH January 28, 2012

Avoid seeing Grey!

Liam Neeson is wasted in the worst movie I have seen is some time. When the theatre lights came up at the end many people were uttering their disbelief. Hard to figure what the producers had in mind other than to make a few bucks with Neeson's reputation. Avoid seeing it!

Parent of a 12 and 14 year old Written byBret Friend February 24, 2012

Not what I expected

The overshadowing temptation of suicide should be enough for parents to say no kids. The story shows how different personalities deal with life threatening situations and stress.

Adult Written byAsh82 January 31, 2012

Not For Kids

Disappointing, was expecting MUCH more than this frozen, dark movie. The language was BAD, even for adults. Please don't make your kids watch it.

Adult Written byjust a person January 31, 2012

Horrid, sick....

This movie was horrid, language is absurd, not for children of any age, for adults only. The depicting of wolves is way off base they are not vengeful man-eaters in real life. Don't waste your time or your money on this movie

Adult Written byzeekattacklee January 3, 2015

Parents should have judgement on this film..

This Film has got to be one of the greatest films that have a man vs wild scenario.. Although parents should be advised when letting there young adults watch this.. The film does have it’s share of violence and Strong language,(“mainly the F-words”).

Adult Written byRun boy run. July 7, 2012

Amazing movie!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adult Written byblessedchevy February 14, 2012

Disappointing Movie that had Alot of F's!

I wanted to go see The Grey, first time I seen a trailer. I mean it looks awesome and it has Liam Neeson, but my fiance and I went seen it and both of us were disappointed. I was expecting to see a really good survival movie and one when I left was like wow that was pretty good, but instead I said "what thats it? That was awful. Violence wasn't so much a problem for me, which yes there were some intense scenes from the plane crash to the wolves attacking. Which again I didn't have a problem with that. Now the CUSSING was terrible, I think I read somewhere that there were 161 F*** words in the film. Most of the times it didn't even make sense to say F. Just really overbarring and as a Christian I hated it. I can handle some, but when it is used that much its hard to really enjoy it. Plus the whole screaming at God, and calling Him out, while cursing Him, then going right back to doing it yourself, was uncalled for and didn't have any added plus to this movie. Another thing the ended was awful! Could of been ALOT better!!! I expected so much more than I got out of this movie.

Adult Written byjoshua martinez June 23, 2012

16 and up.

this action/adventure movie the grey is a boring movie about survival and teamwork with that being said this movie is best for your older teens and parents you need to know that the grey has a lot of intense bloody violence and gore there's also non-stop constant strong language used and some drinking used the message is about overcoming their false pride and arrogance and to work together and the role model is that The main character is quiet, distant, sad, and stoic, but he's a born leader. He has educated himself about many things and is able to put those things to use in the name of survival. He makes many tough decisions. He tries to get the men working together, rather than fighting among themselves.