All teen and kid member reviews for The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Teen, 15 years old Written byWayward Girl December 15, 2012

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is AMAZING!!! I CANNOT wait until Hobbit 2!!!

Just saw this with my family yesterday! My parents haven't let me seen the original trilogy, but they know I am a huge fan of the books, and they decided it would be okay. I am so glad they gave in- It was so much fun! The movie was beautiful, with gorgeous landscapes, and it was pretty funny, so younger viewers will enjoy too. There's tons of battle scenes that show violence through out the movie. One scene shows an "Orc" lifting up the head of the Dwarf King and another showed a Dwarf chopping the same Orc's arm off. The battle scenes may frighten some, but then the creatures who they fight with alone could be considered "scary." Things like the Trolls, the Goblins, the Orcs, The Wargs, and possibly the Rock Giants could bother those too young. There was as scene that disturbed my 12 year old brother, and that was the scene where the shadows of giant spiders could be seen on the windows. That didn't last very long however. And then of course, there is Gollum. Poor little Gollum tends to be very disturbing to younger and older audiences alike. That scene was amazing, by the way, and stuck very closely to the book. In fact, the entire movie stuck very well the the original novel. My dad disagrees, but I think it does. It took what was there in the book and stretched it, going further into details and character development. Lots of people are complaining that it was waaay too long (2 hours and 50 minutes!!) but to be honest? I didn't even notice. I was just hoping it would never end. This was a really fun movie, the best fantasy film I've seen in forever, and I am so excited for the second and third installments. The best part about it though, is that young viewers and old alike can love it.
Teen, 13 years old Written by1234fivemo December 14, 2012

Wonderful Movie for a Wonderful Fandom

For all the LOTR fans this is the perfect film. Only just coming back from the midnight premiere about ten minutes ago I can honestly say it was a wonderful film and great adaptation. The movie does end in a clifhanger awaiting a second film which was a little dissapointing bu other than that a wonderful, tween friendly film!
Teen, 17 years old Written bytripp106 December 14, 2012

Epic

It was fantastic! I went to the midnight premiere, and saw it in IMAX 3D(best way to see it). It's jaw droppingly awesome! I don't understand why CSM only gave it 3 stars!! The story is awesome! The added decent amount to the book, and changed a lot of stuff around, but it made way better! The graphics were amazing! I just wanted to sit there and stare at it for the rest of forever! As a major fan of dwarves, I was giddy the whole movie! Kili is my favorite from the book and he definitely did not disappoint in the movie!! It's a major blockbuster movie that deserves it's hype! There's nothing in it of questionability, so the only concern is the violence!
Kid, 11 years old August 23, 2014

Depends on child....great watch

Okay I LOVED the Hobbit when I watched it a few weeks ago, but I do have a couple of things to say about it. I'm guessing most parents are wondering if their child should watch it and it really depends on the child. If you have a 7 year old, (like in our family,) who doesn't get nervous at all around movies with more action and adventure then it would be GREAT for your child. A great test to see if your child is ready is to have them watch the Narnia series, it has a little bit of action and a couple of battles scenes, not gory at all, and if your child is perfectly fine with it, has no nervous bouts then its pretty safe to say the the Hobbit would be fine with some watching of the child. The Hobbit does have a lot of action and scary scenes, but it also has great messages. So really age doesn't count, it's the child in my opinion. One more thing about the Hobbit relating to violence was that the character, Gollum, is pretty scary at first. I was a little on edge because he's really creepy (more so than the Lord of the Rings) I got used to him later, but first time glimpse is.... not pretty. Curse words are not existent in the Hobbit, same with inappropriate clothing. No romance at all in this movie, though there is a little bit (nothing bad) in the Desolation of Smaug. There is the concept of magic, but not a whole lot, nothing like in the Lord of the Rings. And yes, there IS a little drinking and smoking, but I didn't notice it that much. Overall, it's a great movie though!
Teen, 13 years old Written bygoodreviews101 April 13, 2013

Peter Jackson deserves a kick in the ass

Having seen and loved all three Lord of the Rings movies, I thought this one would be as good. I was wrong. This movie is far too long. It isn't connected to the book at all. Peter Jackson struggles to fill the almost three-hour running time with garbage that doesn't belong. I almost could not stay awake and focused when I was watching the movie. The one thing that makes this movie watchable is the acting. People who enjoyed Lord of the Rings and the read the Hobbit book should see this movie, but don't be expecting anything like the LOTR movies.
Teen, 13 years old Written bycricketcat December 24, 2012

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Peter Jackson has done it again. I went to see this and it was amazing!!!! It just might be a little intense for some sensitive or smaller kids. Also, if you see it in the theaters, some of the previews can be inappropriate. SPOILER ALERT -> Some of the more violent things you might want to watch out for is: 1) At one point, it shows a dwarf king's head that has been chopped off. It doesn't show it actually happening, but it shows the head later. Although there is no blood, it might upset some kids. 2) There is one point where Smaug (the dragon) destroys a town with fire. It's kind of intense, but there is no blood or gore shown. 3) Bilbo and Gandalf are shown smoking. Also, the dwarves drink in a few scenes.Not very many people find this a problem, but if you do,it's good to know. 4) At one point, Radagast the Brown journeys to some creepy looking ruins. In a stone doorway, there are a bunch of creepy sounds and this silhouette of a man is just floating there. A statue of something that looks like a Nazgul (if you've seen The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, you know what I'm talking about.) drops a sword after some sinister whispering. I think this movie was awesome. You should so see this movie. I can't wait until the next ones come out. Good work, Peter Jackson!!
Teen, 14 years old Written byThe Hannah Claire December 23, 2012

Excellent

I loved this movie. I went to see it with my family at the 3D high frame rate version at midnight. I found it quite violent (for some reason it seemed worse than the original ones). A dwarf king is beheaded and there is a very scary orc. I didn't hear any language and there was no romance at all. This movie was a great deal funnier than the original trilogy which made it more fun to watch. It's different from the book but still amazing. They added two more plots to the story which makes the movie even more intriguing. Altogether, this is a great movie to take your teenager to.
Kid, 11 years old March 22, 2014

THE BEST MOVIE EVER!!!

THIS MOVIE HAS - ADVENTURE, ACTION, COMEDY, SUSPENSE, CREATIVITY, ORCS, HOBBITS, ELVES, DWARVES, WIZARDS, MEN, TROLLS, GOBLINS, DRAGONS, BEARS, ROCKS SHAPED AS BEARS, SPIDERS ENORMOUS EAGLES, AND A CREEPY CREATURE NAMED GOLLUM WHO IS ACTUALLY A DISTORTED HOBBIT... I THINK IVE SAID ENOUGH...PLEASE DON'T FORGET ALL OF THOSE THINGS I JUST TALKED ABOUT... BYE.
Teen, 14 years old Written byeziosbutt January 2, 2013

The Hobbit is a superfluity of intense storyline, heartwarming characters, and breathtaking scenery

This extremely enjoyable movie displays the same magic that Peter Jackson (director) was able to capture into the Lord of the Rings. The movie displayed many characters of noble heart and ambition, such as Bilbo, the homely, scared hobbit who faced his fears and confronted an adventure. Thorin, the prince of the dwarves, is a persevering leader as he eventually learns Bilbo's not so obvious heroic qualities. While they are violent throughout their quest, it is only through medieval weapons, which if your child begins to enjoy them, are a better path than automatic weapons such as guns and bombs, because with them it brings along qualities of chivalry and honor that is not present in the use of automatic weapons. This movie provides a plethora of heartwarming characters and awe-inspiring settings that combine in Tolkien's legendary tale as a wonderful movie. 5/5
Kid, 10 years old May 23, 2015

boring movie

this is the only hobbit movie i have seen so far and i HATE it i hope desolation of smaug and battle of five armies are better
Kid, 12 years old December 13, 2013

AWESOME!

THE HOBBIT IS SO GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byemcfa3000 May 27, 2013

OK

When I read some of the reviews of other movies, I was surprised at the amount of people who put the rating older than I am, but I saw the film a few years ago, when I was younger. Never cause any problems. This film is more suitable than all those films, but if you have a child or are a child that crys at everything, don't watch it, there are troll things. In terms of how good it is, it's slow, good at times but I wanted to leave the cinema at times. Wouldn't watch it again.
Kid, 11 years old January 21, 2013

An 11 year olds review of The Hobbit.

It is a great movie. I am 11 and it was a bit intense for even me. All in all, it was a very good action packed movie but was also very violent and I would not recomend it for anyone under the age of 10. The thing I was kind of bummed about was that it is only a third of the actual book.
Teen, 15 years old Written byNo Name, for real. January 5, 2013

The Hobbit

I will be completely honest in my review. The Hobbit an unexpected was a little disappointing in my opinion. I loved the book when my fifth grade teacher read it to me and the class. When I first seen the trailer to the movie a year ago, it seemed impossible to wait that long. Well like every other movie it came. I just seen it today a few hours ago, and... Well, not the best. I was so eager to see it, and the first half is great, until it gets lost in all the mayhem. Don't get me wrong I did like the movie bust it just wasn't lord of the rings, and it tried so hard to be its own individual thing, instead of the traditional lord of rings storytelling. The main issue is that the run time is brutal, even for hardcore fans of Jackson's epic Lord of the rings trilogy. Where that trilogy made sense as 3 separate movies. That was okay because it was 3 separate books. The Hobbit doesn't pace good enough to be three movies. The hobbit easily could have been one movie, instead of part 1. But I think I was disappointed because it didn't really stay true to the book. Jackson easily could have made this into one long LOTR's type movie,and it would have been fine. But hey don't let my review stop you from liking it. However this is just as violent as the first lord of the rings, there are several decapitations, impaling's, stabbings, with swords and knives bashing with hammers, one characters head is held up high and then thrown, and its shown rolling. An orc is eaten by three wolves, and many characters being hit with flying arrows, in the face, head, chest. Orc's and goblins fall from great heights, and Gollum bashes a goblins head with a stone. Three mountain giants bash each other senseless in a colossal fight. But none of it is worse than the first LOTR's. I recommend this movie to LOTR fans, but fans of the book may mildly disappointed, like me.
Kid, 9 years old January 4, 2013

the hobbit is a good way to end 2012 !

the hobbit is less violint than lord of the rings . peter jackson worked hard on the movie . i told my to see it. its the best movie of 2012 to the begining of of 2013. bilbo is very caring for his home but he went because he relized that he has a home and the dwarvs dont.the only bad word is the a word . there are some carroctors eating and smoking on a pipe . it shoud be rated pg .and i recommend pause for ages 5 and under and good for ages 6
Teen, 13 years old Written byadam8 January 4, 2013

AMAZING!!!!!!

This movie was amazing! We got to see this movie in 3D, and it was beyond words. This movie was MADE for 3D. But If you HAVE to not see it in 3D, It will still be very good. I would say that they were pretty much accurate to the book, other than a few parts that made the movie better anyways. I really liked all the dwarves personalities. There was some pretty cool stuff going on with the dwarves towards the beginning of the movie. If I had to compare it to LOTR, I would have to say that I don't know. They're both like my favorite movies of all time. I can't wait to see what they do with the next two movies! I definitely would tell you to get over to the theater as fast as you can and go see THE HOBBIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! By the way, there is some violence, and some smoking. There is also a small bit of drinking. There is some consumerism, just with them trying to get the gold back. Nevertheless, GO AND SEE IT!
Kid, 12 years old January 4, 2013

the Hobbit is suprisingly scary

The Hobbit was FANTASTIC! There is no sex, barely any drinking, and tons of smoking but the main thing is violence. This movie was 10 times scarier then the LOTR trilogy. There are many jump scenes, intense moments, and scary creatures. Before you go see it, make sure you feel like you can handle that content. Overall its a must see!
Teen, 13 years old Written byGumballu December 30, 2012

What.

To much killing. this is not for kids and I would recommend reading the lord of the rings,read the hobbit ect to understand the movie. It is very confusing
Kid, 10 years old November 13, 2016

This movie is amzing!!!!!

This movie is great for tweens and up. There are violent scenes and scary looking creatures like goblins and orcs. There is fighting with swords and bows and arrows. This movie is great but can be scary at times.
Kid, 11 years old November 4, 2016

Beautiful movie

The scenery in the movie is awesome. You may want to watch this movie before showing kids ages 7 and under - it could be too scary for them. You should get all 3 movies before starting the first one because you'll definitely want to watch the next ones immediately. Sometimes the movie follows the book and sometimes the movie takes its own path, but the main point is always the same.