All teen and kid member reviews for The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

Teen, 15 years old Written bybranman894 December 14, 2013

The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey was better

The Hobbit the Desolation of Smaug is too long to start things off. I'm a Lord of the Rings fan so I'm okay with the run time but this one didn't have what the others did (including The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey). The special effects in the film are great and Smaug himself looks fantastic. Benedict Cumberbatch's voice is chilling and some of the acting is fun to watch. The actions scene's are done well too except they are too long. There are some things in the movie that do not happen in the book also. The story was also too drawn out. Now I'm against spoilers in reviews, because I feel like if your reading a review your deciding if you should see it or not, but I do have to mention one thing that is a spoiler. If you have not seen The Hobbit Desolation of Smaug you should not read this next part. I'm assuming if you are still reading this you have seen The Hobbit Desolation of Smaug or you just don't care about spoilers. The cliffhanger is basically the same exact cliffhanger they leave you with in The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey. Basically what happens in the first hobbit is Smaug's eye opens up and that is the end of the movie. In this cliffhanger Smaug fly's away into the land to kill people. They are the same because you think the same thing when you see them both. When you see Smaug open up his eye you think to yourself, okay so now he's going to get up and kill people. In this cliffhanger you see him go into the land to kill people. They both end with you thinking the same way. The cliffhanger doesn't move the story the cliffhanger just stays the same. If you go to see the cliffhanger be resolved then you should not see this movie. Overall the movie was on the lower end of okay.
Kid, 12 years old December 13, 2013

BEST MOVIE EVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This movie is the best movie ever made so great just some violence but so great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kid, 8 years old January 30, 2015

It's ok

Too much violence for little kids and a little scary
Teen, 14 years old Written byDorotea Dukovac August 19, 2014

I am dissapointed

It is OK, but it is not that what i was expected. My friends like it so much, but not me. The Lord of the Rings is much, much better than this.
Teen, 17 years old Written byshrekmaster December 26, 2013

It's Okay.

The Hobbit was good movie with some sexual innuendo but a whole lot of violence. The film had practically zero blood though, even with shooting arrows in the eyes, chopping heads off, getting shot in the legs brutally the film displayed not a lot of blood. If there was blood it would have been a guaranteed R-rating.
Kid, 9 years old December 15, 2013

BEST ACTION MOVIE FOR KIDS AND ADULTS!

This was so good but very long to watch in the movies! There are some scary images that will scare little kids and you have to watch the first movie before seeing this one but trust me that this one was better than the first one!
Teen, 17 years old Written byAlreadyTaken December 14, 2013

Great

Peter Jackson delivers once more with his second installment of The Hobbit. Although this one departs farther from the book, much of the added content is well-produced action that entertains. The violence is probably a bit higher than An Unexpected Journey, with hosts of orcs being slain and several decapitations; however, there is little blood or gore. No issues with language, and despite the addition of the female elf Tauriel, sexual content is kept to a minimum. If your kid could handle the first one and enjoyed it, Desolation of Smaug will be fine for them to watch, and they'll definitely enjoy it.
Kid, 11 years old December 22, 2014

The Next Great Installment, However, A Tiny Bit More Scary Than Unexpected Journey.

I can't pick a favorite for these films because they are all mind blowing. Now, before I describe what you need to know, (SPOILER ALERT) A quick recap- The movie picks up where it left off as Bilbo Baggins and the Company of Dwarves camp upon the Carrock, a bear shaped rock. Azog continues to pursue the Company on their quest for Erebor, the Lonely Mountain. Azog then receives a message from Dol Guldur, where the Necromancer (A Dark Power) lives. He leaves at once and appoints his son, Bolg, to track the Company. While Bilbo spies on Bolg, he notices a bear in the woods. After the bear scares Bolg and the Orcs off, the bear attacks the Company. The Company then takes shelter in a mysterious house in the woods. Gandalf informs the rest of the Company that the house belongs to the bear who is actually a shape shifter named Beorn. After resting at Beorn's Hall and borrowing his horses, the company sets off for the border of Mirkwood. (The forest surrounding Dol Guldur. was once a thriving place but now devastation and corruption.) After setting the horses free to return to Beorn, Gandalf discovers a symbol of Sauron. (see LOTR) He leaves the Company at once. The Company traverses through the forest until they are captured by giant spiders. Bilbo rescues them by slaying each of the spiders. Towards the end of the duel, he sees one of the spiders with the One Ring and under the ring's control, he aggressively kills the spider. The Elves of Mirkwood then capture the Company and take them to an uncorrupted area of beauty. Bilbo is not captured and he follows the Elves to rescue the Company. Meanwhile, the dwarf Kili falls in love with the elf Tauriel. When Bilbo rescues the Company, they take advantage of drunken elves and use wine barrels to escape. When they are about to pass through the elves' river gate, Bolg and his orcs ambush both the elves and the dwarves. Kili is shot in the leg by a Morgul Arrow. (Like the Morgul Blade from LOTR) The Elven King, Thranduil, commands his subjects not to give thought to the Company. Tauriel thinks otherwise, she goes after the dwarves to help them. Thranduil's son, Legolas (see LOTR) follows her. They eventually decide to help the dwarves. Meanwhile Gandalf visits the High Fells, tombs of the Ringwraiths. (see LOTR) Radagast, an animal loving wizard who was introduced in the previous film, and Gandalf discover that all nine of the Nazgul (Ringwraiths) have awoken. They go to Dol Guldur to investigate. Gandalf sends Radagast to contact the other wizards and elven ring bearers, and Gandalf enters. He is faced with the Necromancer, who is revealed to be Sauron (see LOTR). Gandalf is then captured by the Necromancer and Azog, who marches to Erebor with an orc army . The Company sneak into Laketown with the help of Bard, a swashbuckling bowman. The Master of Laketown is greedy and afraid of Bard. The Master captures the Company after they try to steal from the armory. However, when The Master discovers the dwarves' purpose, he lets the Company keep the weapons. Bard discovers that the dragon may assault Laketown and takes up his bow and black arrows (which can kill Smaug). He tries to convince The Master that the dwarves have a blind eye, but fails. The Company leaves Kili and two other dwarves behind so that they can heal. Kili's sickness from the Morgul Arrow kicks in and they have to fight it back. Tauriel arrives to rescue Kili, but Bolg quickly follows. Together, Legolas and Tauriel kill Bolg. The Master then arrests Bard. Once the company gains entrance to Erebor. They upset Smaug and he flies toward Laketown. (See AUJ for more info.) Great Messages: Good Messages for this movie include : -Tauriel deciding to help the Company -The same ones from AUJ Great Role Models: Perfect Role Models for this movie include: -Tauriel. She helps the dwarves regardless of the fact that they are dwarves. -Radagast. He respects all nature and loves and cares for it as well. He also has an open heart. -Bard. He is brave and chivalrous and will do anything to protect his town and family. Violence: To be expected in a good vs evil film. The film contains epic battle sequences and the deaths of evil characters. I don't even remember a death of a significant good character in this film The most violent scenes include: -Beorn's Attack -The Spider Ambush -The High Fells (Not exactly violent, just creepy.) -The Dol Guldur Battle -The Duel With Smaug. Sex: I did not label this because all that it is is a crush between Kili and Tauriel. Consumerism: Many toys were created after the film. As with AUJ this film deserves it's money anyway. Drinking: I did not label this because it's just a reference while the Elves are asleep.
Kid, 12 years old December 6, 2014

What Happened to You Guys

As a movie, it's okay. As a book to a movie, WORST THING EVER. I mean a 300 page book into 3 movies. Uggggg!!!!!!!
Teen, 15 years old Written bySlendyDaMan March 12, 2016

Amazing

This movie has non-stop action packed fantasy violence. Although it is not as explicit as Lord of the Rings, it is not for young children. Expect lot's of intense fantasy violence. Orcs are decapitated on screen, people are stabbed, bitten, slashed and chased by giant spiders and monsters. Some characters smoke and drink. No swearing.
Teen, 15 years old Written bylordcommander998 February 29, 2016

Great Trilogy, nothing should hold an 11 year old back.

Like the other Hobbit films, its great trilogy, but only a bit too much violence. I am 15, and i have seen the Exorcist- no nightmares. I have seen Saw, nothing disturbed me too much, just a bit gruesome. I like the walking dead, and it is not too disturbing, I am 15, and though this movie wasn't out til I was 13, I could have definitely handled it at 9 years old, maybe 8. It is a kid movie, but don't watch it unless 9 years old and comfortable with lots of slashing, bashing and a little bit of scary scenes with blood. It also has a scary dragon scenes.
Teen, 15 years old Written byAge critical reviews February 22, 2016
Teen, 15 years old Written byBreaden Hoffmaster December 5, 2015

"Dragon!"

Wow! Giant spiders, orcs, adventure, battles, galore! Like its prequel, "An Unexpected Journey", this film has many violent battle scenes. Orcs are impaled, decapitated, (headless body is seen twitching) and Legolas sends many arrows through heads, throats, etc. The dragon's voice could give kids nightmares, not even to mention his appearance, and he spews fire and attacks Bilbo. Younger kids might be sick when giant spiders are hacked to pieces, and Bilbo stabs one between the eyes. But other then the sometimes sickening action, it's a great film. No language, no sex, and nothing to worry about in the slightest. Enjoy!
Kid, 11 years old November 30, 2015

Got taste? This is for you.

This is truly the best hobbit movie in the saga. There is still the same violence in the first movie (plus a disturbing scene with a ripped-up deer) but a good, action-packed installment in the series. There is a bit of flirting between a dwarf and an elf, but nothing too bad. Please note: you will want to have the 3rd installment with you because this is a TREMENDOUS cliffhanger. Also, gandalf smokes weed like a gangster so watch out for that.
Teen, 15 years old Written byAge review kid November 28, 2015

Improved sequel is also darker and more violent then the first

My rating:PG-13 for some fantasy sequences of violence and action
Kid, 8 years old October 11, 2015

In your face New Line studios!!!

New Line did a super bad job on The Hobbit an Unexpected Journey. I am happy Warner Bros took the job and made this movie! I liked this movie more then the first. It is still pretty violent though. Expect some drinking.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJimmy Brew July 24, 2015
Teen, 13 years old Written bystrudelkitty827 July 21, 2015

Probably My Favorite Hobbit Movie

This is my favorite Hobbit movie, followed by Five Armies. Benedict Cumberbatch delivers as a scary, chilling dragon. The acting was fun to watch, and I really enjoyed it. You may not like it when you first watch it, but, when you read the book, you appreciate the second movie the most. Whenever I watch this movie I want to start reading the book, which is a great inspiration for kids. This has the least amount of violence in the Hobbit trilogy, but there is still plenty, so leave this movie for the older ones.
Teen, 14 years old Written byParkerSmykle July 5, 2015

a great hobbit movie

a great hobbit movie 5/5 stars
Teen, 14 years old Written bytoysorama. May 26, 2015

Pretty dang good

It's no Lord of the Rings, but out of all three Hobbit films this one's the best. It has some action and frightening imagery that may be scary for younger viewers but nothing too bad