All teen and kid member reviews for The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

Teen, 15 years old Written bydoodlebuggy(: November 23, 2013

SO AMAZING IN EVERY WAY.♥

Catching Fire blew my mind to pieces. It was SO MUCH BETTER than the Hunger Games, so if you have any low expectations, I promise you those will be gone by the end of the movie. Francis Lawrence created such beautiful action shots and everything was real on set and it was fantastic. The graphics, costumes, makeup, and choreography--everything was executed beautifully. The best part was the ACTING, oh my goodness. I wish I'd brought a pack of tissues because I was bawling. GREAT MESSAGES: Katniss was great as always. Everyone, especially Katniss, faces problems to save their families and do what's in the best interest of the people. They set good examples of doing what's right and caring for others, despite their horrible governmental control. In the games, Katniss and Peeta and their allies all work together to save themselves and great examples of sacrifice are displayed. -VIOLENCE: It's the Hunger Games so of course there's some violence. I'd say the worst part was when Cinna was getting beat up and Gale was getting whipped. During the actual Games, however, there wasn't as much blood shown as in the first movie. There are some stabbings, arrow shootings, fire, and the other expected violence. -KISSING: There were multiple kiss scenes, yes, but nothing a 12 year old can't handle. They're a bit more than just "pecks," but again the kisses have to be somewhat real, right? There is one scene where Johanna strips down in the elevator, but no body parts are shown. No inappropriate scenes. -LANGUAGE: One character says "f--k you!" but it is bleeped out, and several other "unfriendly" words hahaha. As long as your kids know that these words are inappropriate, then they should be fine :) -ALCOHOL: Haymitch will be Haymitch. He's an alcoholic so he is constantly holding a drink, and Katniss joins in once. Most kids know that alcohol is a no-no so I don't think that's a huge problem. GO WATCH IT. It was amazing watching it on the big screen and I promise you, you'll love it, especially if you're a fellow HG fan. LOVED IT! :)
Kid, 12 years old November 22, 2013

See the Movie!!! Already saw it twice

Love, love, loved the movie! Though I do not want to spoil anything, this was a satisfying installment to the movie series, keeping the good parts, but eliminating the other sections as to make it a PG-13 movie. There was mild language, more than the book, but Katniss, Peeta, Gale, Finnick, etc. are great role models, demonstrating bravery and selflessness for one another, sticking up for what they believe in. Other characters sacrifice themselves for others. There was some violence and gore, including a few severe injuries, but it shouldn't disturb most teens. Few kisses and a few alcoholic beverages during a celebration and with a certain character, but overall an excellent, emotional adaption for any fan!
Kid, 11 years old November 23, 2013

AMAZINGLY PERFECT I LOVE FRANCIS LAWRENCE NOW

Some swearing, some curses are "bleeped" out, which if not bleeped I probably wouldn't have been seeing the movie, so thank you, Francis Lawrence for the bleep. Anyway, there was a lot of violence so if you're not okay with blood and violent actions, I sadly wouldn't recommend it to you. In my opinion, IT WAS AMAZINGLY PERFECT. I've been going crazy about it so I'm so glad I got to see it. The end was great. So dramatic! AHHHHHHHHHH FINNICK WAS PERFECT I loved it and I hope you will too.
Kid, 12 years old November 24, 2013

AN EPIC THRILL RIDE WITH A MESSAGE (Sorry about the long review)

After reading the user reviews for the first movie, I was extremely disappointed at how audiences that hadn't read the books reacted at this movie. They kept saying it had no message whatsoever, and that it was just a horrible way of entertaining kids our age. I thoroughly explained that they just didn't understand the point of everything, and that they should read the books before giving an opinion. Other people said they got the message, but they just wished they had shown it without the violence. I explained that Gary Ross had to up the violence, in order to make an impact on the people who watched the movie. For the second movie, I feel like the users understand the movie better than Common Sense. I sat in the theater at 12:00, waiting for everyone to finally have their angry thoughts on the first movie replaced with emotional bundles of happiness, that hope is stronger than fear, that there is always a way to right the wrongs, that you must learn to stand up for yourself, and create your own mockingjay. I sit writing this review a changed person, because I feel like this movie was exactly what I wanted it to be. It included the emotional scenes that I loved, the gritty scenes that showed just how wrong the Capitol was, and even some of the funny scenes. (The elevator scene with Johanna was hilarious!) It showed that even if President Snow said that even the strongest couldn't defy the Capitol, that a single person with an influence could. It showed what our community could become, and that reality shows and entertainment were getting off hand. It showed that when you stand up for yourself, an entire nation can follow. Brilliantly acted and perfectly paced, the plot of this movie was a bridge from the first one, connecting the totalitarian government to the SPOILER ALERT! rebellion that will unfold in the third one. I am extremely disappointed that Common Sense Media gave this movie four out of five stars, because for the people who didn't read the books, it gave the first movie more meaning. It finally showed Katniss in deliberate rage, and Francis Lawrence allowed himself to go more in depth with the characters than Gary Ross ever did. I felt like this isn't a movie that deserves four stars like Common Sense did, and that it poignantly gave us a depth of the characters we'd never seen before. This is a hands down five star movie, and I feel ashamed for Common Sense that they didn't understand this one as well as the first. For example, from the very first scene, Francis Lawrence expertly showed us the aftermath the Games gave Katniss. SPOILER ALERT! (When she shoots at the turkeys and the arrow goes through Marvel) Another example of this is that we finally get to see the Capitol's reactions to the Games, like when we see Effie crying regretfully, and that she is so sorry she ever acted like a Capitol puppet. This is not a "really good" movie like Common Sense says, but a five star movie that gives a different point of view of life, than any other movie I have ever seen. So wake up Common Sense, like Haymitch would say, and watch the movie again. Sandie Angulo Chen, I encourage you to rethink the movie's themes, and compare this movie to the first in every single aspect possible. This isn't a movie that simply entertains, like the epic Harry Potter and the amazing Twilight Saga, but it is a movie with a moral aspect of life and standing up for what you believe in. Thanks, and I hope you liked my review. (Sorry it was so long :))
Teen, 16 years old Written byrebma97 November 24, 2013

Better Than The First (4.5/5 stars)

I saw Catching Fire with a friend Sunday and it was really good! It was better than the first one, which I thought was great, too! Of course they couldn't put everything from the book in the film, and I could have done without the love triangle, but overall I think they did great for what they had. The storyline's more political focus was better than the first film's more focus on survival. On a side note, there was no shaky camera in this one (yes!) Jennifer Lawrence continues to surprise me with her acting ability and almost made me cry at one point. The other cast was good, too. Violence: Tons, probably more than the first book. As the rebellion sparks in the Districts, an older man is shot (off-screen). Gale is shown being whipped in one scene and you see his wounds and hear him cry out in pain (it's kind of intense). Once the characters get into the Games, things get more brutal; scary monkey mutations come out of nowhere and attack. Katniss and other tributes are infected with a poisonous gas and receive nasty wounds from the poison. Some explosions are seen, and many characters are killed. Sex: Katniss kisses Peeta and Gale. A female tribute, Johanna strips naked in front of Katniss to make her feel uncomfortable (nothing sensitive is shown). Katniss wears a semi-revealing top (it's a bit see-through) near the beginning of the Games. Johanna asks Katniss how it feels to have the world want to sleep with her. Also, Finnick is seen flirting with Katniss and is shirtless. Language: "s--t" is used by Haymitch and "h-ll" and "son of a b*tch" are used by Katniss. Also, Johanna says the "f" word twice but it's bleeped out. Drinking/Drugs/Smoking: Haymitch is an alcoholic and is seen getting drunk at times. Katniss also drinks in one scene. Some tributes in the Games are called "Morphlings" because of their addiction to the drug.
Kid, 11 years old November 22, 2013

Great Movie: Mature Tweens and up

This was very incredible. It had more action, romance, and language. Language includes three use of f---, which are all bleeped out, one use of s---, d---, a--, and son of a b---- twice. Sex includes innuendo in an elevator, kisses, and marriage talk. Violence, which there is plenty of, includes gun shooting, stabbing, hand-to-hand combat, a scene of which a character is repeatably whipped, a scene of a morphing covered in gore, and scenes of blood and disturbing poison exposure. This does have good role models, though. I would rate this: PG-13 For intense violent action sequences, disturbing and frightening images, language, and innuendo.
Teen, 15 years old Written bymlee0607 November 21, 2013

AMAZING!! WATCH IT!

This is one of the best yet! It has such an exhilarating plot and amazing characters. The movie was ten times better than the first one and you will not be disappointed. It copied the exact things coming from the book, i've read it like five times and it captured the city, the glam, and the essence of the battles Katniss and Peeta go through. I love how the directors captured every growing scene. Good job!
Teen, 13 years old Written bywinston2470 November 22, 2013

THE BEST!

This was a fantastic film! Amazing! Things to watch out for: LOT'S OF VIOLENCE. Characters are stabbed, impaled with tridents, shot with arrows, and more. Haymitch is drinking a lot, and Katniss drinks once in the movie, and she's only 17. Several swears. Overall, amazing!
Teen, 13 years old Written bykate317 November 21, 2013

ASTONISHING MOVIE

Brilliant movie! It was ten times better than the first one! Totally exhilarating and half the time you were crying and the other you were on the edge of your seat. Verdict for parents: It has tons of good messages, families can talk about war and doing what's right. It also has Katniss and she is an amazing role model. Sure she kills people but she does it to survive. She protects her friends and family and will do anything for them. Violence. Much more violence than the first. There is a lot of deaths but they are mainly shot fast and blurry. The only deaths I think we can worry about are Cinna's and the guy from eleven's. Also Gale is whipped. That science was probably the most violent. Not much sex. A few kisses. Nothing to worry about. Swearing. Sh-t is said once and f-ck is beeped out but yeah. Idk what that dollar sign stands for and there's quite a bit of drinking but that's not shown in a positive way so it's not a negative thing. Overall the violence isn't the issue but the mature themes are, the meaning behind it all is the real issue. SO YEAH 5/5! AMAZING MOVIE!
Teen, 14 years old Written byRaptor89 November 29, 2013

Good Movie. Graphic Content.

This film is more violent than the first. The violence is more graphic and may upset younger viewers. Haymitch is constantly drinking, Katniss also drinks in one scene (even though she is under age). There is more language in this film too, "sh*t" and "son of a b**ch" are each said once, there are 2 beeped out "f**k", and 2 damns. A main character is graphically beaten to death, this may upset some viewers. A main character whipped and his back is seen bleeding. There are at least 3 jump scenes. Characters are whipped, punched, stabbed, shot, drowned, beaten and pushed down through out this film.
Teen, 15 years old Written byMarc Fotley November 21, 2013

Take your kids, but READ this first.

"As Katniss kills with finnesse, Francis shoots with precision". I disagree with the above review however as I do not agree that it was more violent than the first. Sure, it had its moments but the one expected violent scene is not as you expect: The Cornucopia Bloodbath. Stabbings, bows, but all with no blood. If you let your child see the first alone, you have no problems with this such magnificent film. But perhaps if you are new to the world of Panem, you might consider watching the first by guidance and deciding yourself what is best. Minimum age is probably 12, and 11 is stretching it but when I went this evening I saw 5 year olds: (to each his own) as every child is mature to their own taste and only parents no. good things to know: NO MORE SHAKY PARKINSON'S CAM! This time, camera-work, and filmmaking is marvelous, cutting clean when violence is evident and leaving worse to imagination. Sexuality is not an issue as only kisses and the majority are not passionate except for perhaps one. Stabbings, one scene of an arm being cut but it is seen offscreen only blood is shown ( IMPORTANT TO STORYLINE), poisonous fog, menacing monkeys, and arrow wounds are the worst you are witness to see.Drugs are not as much of an issue as Peeta refuses a 'pink liquid to make him sick as to eat more' offered to both Katniss and Peeta at a Capitol Party. Expect high stakes, shockers, surprises, and a magnificent sequel in this edge-of-your-seat thriller. 5 stars!
Teen, 17 years old Written byB-KMastah November 23, 2013

Better than the first.

Amazing. So so so so good. I haven’t read any of the books, but I saw the first film opening day and loved it, causing me to see it three more times, and this is even better. This takes essentially everything that worked about the 2012 movie and betters it, and despite its excessive length, I was truly enthralled for a vast majority of the time. Instantly grabbing you, it deftly balances strong drama and contextually appropriate humor, with its acting enhancing it all. Jennifer Lawrence brought salty tears to my eyes several times, and I was highly entranced by its social commentary regarding exploitation and reality television, and I loved how it was depicted as subtly satirical at times. The characters are deeply developed and even shallow characters like Effie Trinket and Caesar Flickerman are deepened, all subtly, showing their small cracks in their seemingly superficial façades. It’s far more thought provoking than its predecessor as a whole. The costumes are amazing and the enlarged budget shows, but it’s far too long. Ironically, the titular Hunger Games are possibly the more expendable part. They go on for too long and are different in content that the hour and a half before it, making it to be almost (but not quite) slightly jarring, and sort of borders on repetitive. It’s better than the original, but it definitely should have been about fifteen minutes shorter. Regardless, I cannot wait for the next one, and the next one. 9/10, amazing, two thumbs up, far above average, etc.
Teen, 14 years old Written byBetty L. November 23, 2013

Amazing and Awesome!

This movie was way better than the first one! It was amazingly filmed and was a lot more intense and real than the first one. It is so heart-wrenching when Peeta tells Katniss he is really sad that her pretending her love for him in the games isn't real. There's a lot of violence, but that is faithful to the book. One passionate kiss between Katniss and Peeta, but that isn't something to worry about. It is actually very sweet. Also, there are tons of positive messages, and Katniss, Gale, Peeta, and Haymitch are all great and positive role models. I loved it! Can't wait for the last movie to come out!
Kid, 11 years old July 4, 2015

Second hunger games is more intense but a bit better

In this film there is a lot more violence and intensity. One of the characters has been threatened horribly by a man with a lot more power than her. He also does some horrible stuff to her because she is giving people hope and he wants to crush the hope. The two main characters are very nice and help an elderly lady when they don't have to. Two characters kiss once but it's very short and nothing to worry about. There is some swearing but it's very infrequent. One character is an alcoholic and nearly always has a drink in his hand. The violence in this film is a lot more cruel a man gets whipped many times leaving bloody whip marks on his back and a elderly lady loses an eye and there is a bloody mark. The people incharge get flamethrowers and destroy peoples houses to strike fear into there hearts. Inside the arena they first get surrounded by an acid cloud and one character dies to it but the fog covers up everything the characters have wounds from the acid and they look like pussy bubbles. Characters also get covers in boiling blood and get attacked by baboons and one character gets killed by one. Also a characters fight each other with bows, spears, tridents, swords and one character uses canabalisim but nothing is shown and there is no suggested gestures either. Overall this hunger games has a lot different violence but I think nearly all teens and some Tweens should be able to handle it.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySpecial J November 24, 2013

Standard PG-13

This movie is a middle of the road PG-13 movie, with violence, kissing, and deeper themes on things such as politics. Any teen or above should be able to watch this movie, unless they are very immature for their age or unnaturally sheltered, such as still not knowing what the s--t word is at age 15.
Teen, 14 years old Written bystudboy24 November 23, 2013

Catching Fire

This is a lot more better than the first but it is a lot more violence. The violence is not just in the games but outside of it. During the film there are scenes of beatings, floggings, burning, stabbing, slitting, drowning, and executions. There was a scene where a woman strips in a elevator showing bare back. This film is very intense and should not be viewed for kids because it is a very graphic and sad movie. The film shows a lot more language than the first one. Plus the film introduces gun violence. Haymitch drinks throughout the film. Finally it has good messages which is you should never turn back on family.
Teen, 13 years old Written byWhales 8741 November 22, 2013

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

Positive Messages: This movie showed a lot about sacrifice, love, choices, and understanding. She also shows that she is not afraid to stand up for what's right, no matter the cost. Almost all of the characters have positive traits about them, which I love. Positive Role Models: As I said before, all the characters have at least one positive trait. They are all kind and care about someone. They also have so much development, it's hard not to love all of them. Violence: Okay, so this is the 74th Hunger Games. If you were expecting a non-violent movie, you obviously came to the wrong place. Yes, there is blood and explosions and killings and whippings. Sex: There's nothing that bad. Katniss and Peeta sleep together (with clothes), some kisses, Johanna strips down, but you never see more than her shoulders up. Language: One bad word said, the other bleeped out. Consumerism: Products sold because of the movie (nails, action figures, etc.) Drinking: Haymitch is a drinker. He's one of my favorite characters, but he is a drinker. He drinks a lot and he likes it. At some points, other chracters have a drink, but he's the main one. Overall: This movie is fantastic. I haven't cried since I watched Marley & Me, but at this one I burst out crying. It was so wonderful and emotional. I could not help it. I think that everyone should watch this movie, so that they can see everything I love about it and everything everyone else should love. This is my favorite movie, so you better watch it, and you will love it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byPeythepenguin November 24, 2013

Great!!

For the many fans of the book, it is quite important that the movie stay true to the novel. In this case it does..very well actually. There a couple things missing but only one or two of the events will be noticeably gone (unlike the previous installment with its many holes.) The acting is solid (Lawrence presents excellent talent, as always), the cinematography is much better this time around, and the visual effects and special affects makeup are high quality (wouldn't be surprised is it gets an Oscar nom for best make-up). no matter how amazing this movie is, there's no lying that is not for all ages. There is some drinking (mostly done by Haymitch), infrequent kissing, one suggestive scene, some profanity (two bleeped out f---s, b----, s---, h---, nothing too much) and intense violence. Violence is the biggest thing to be wary of. There is stabbing, drowning, attacks from animals, poisoning, torture, poisoning, threats, and-of course-deaths by arrows. Overall, 12-13 year olds should be able to handle it perfectly well
Teen, 17 years old Written bySaintlyFigure007 November 24, 2013

BRILLIANT!!!!!

I saw this last night and it was one of the very best films I have seen. It is a classic way to make a sequel, take the plot, deepen it, and show character development. The casting for the movie is brilliant, although I am not sure of the choice for Johanna Mason. Other than this the movie was brilliant from start to finish. The movie was quite violent in parts but not gory. This movie is one to see immediately, as it is something amazing
Teen, 13 years old Written byjasgreg12 November 23, 2013

Catching Fire

I really enjoyed this movie. Very glad I saw it on opening day. Pretty much same as the first one violence. Also there is a bit more language and a scene with a naked girl. But not much of a problem