Kid reviews for The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 1

Melancholy, violent sequel sets stage for waging war.

Teen, 13 years old Written byjohnstewart November 21, 2014

THE BEST ONE OF THE SERIES

-as a boy, I even liked it! I wouldn't say this is the most violent movie in the series, but it is very violent near the end (a boy attacks a girl in a very violent and intense way) which was the most violent part. The death count is very high, but we don't see people die; but we do see corpses and skeletons - which can be disturbing and unsettling to younger viewers. There is no sex nor nudity - only kisses, if that counts. There isn't much profanity in this movie also, just minor language. I'm kind of surprised that commonsense media said that ages 10-12 should be fine watching it, because I don't simply agree with that. I think it is way too violent for a 10 year old. I think this movie should be fine for almost anyone 13+, but not everyone.

Teen, 13 years old Written bypieshark21 December 30, 2014

Parents should leave home the little ones

I saw the movie literally 2 hours before I wrote this. Mockingjay: Part 1 is a fantastic recreation of the book by Suzanne Collins. There are great role-models (specifically Katniss and Gale). HOWEVER! I do believe that this movie is great for any age for those who have read the book. The main factor of my 14+ rating, is that it can be very intense for many viewers younger and older. Like many action movies, there are countless amounts of loud bangs from bombs and guns on screen, and can potentially scare younger viewers. Also, there are a few glimpses of disturbing corpses and bodily remains. But even so, the exciting, anxious, and exhilarating moments surely make up for anything dramatic or violent.

Kid, 10 years old December 28, 2014

Great Movie!

It was a great movie! There was a lot of killing scenes, and they show dead people covered in blood at some point. I think the most tingling scene was when Peeta choked Katniss...It was very surprising if you didn't read the book. I think people absolutely should read the the books first! It makes all the difference!!!!! I think that there is some things that some kids can NOT handle, but some kids could. I don't get scared easily and I covered my eyes in one scene. It is somewhat scary for sure, but some kids can take it. Thanks!

Teen, 13 years old Written bySophieGrace December 23, 2014

Great movie for mid teens

I love the movie it was amazing but there are moments when I though is this actually a 12 ? spoilers here but some of the moments included -Katniss talking to herself. Suffering post traumatic stress. -Capital blowing up a homeless shelter -katniss singing about a man being hung -Peter brainwashed and bloodshot eyes strangling katniss -Peter strapped down to a bed screaming whilst katniss watching But i thought it was amazing. But my friend who is the same age was rather upset about it. Just be cautious of whether the person wanting to watch it is mature enough to handle it. But I recommend the film highly. Just be cautious about whether it is suitable.

Teen, 13 years old Written byUnworkedJade December 30, 2014

A little disturbing

I wouldn't show this movie to younger kids, especially if they get anxious easily. There are a few shots of bodies, skeletons, and wounds which may alarm a younger audience. There's also one jumpscare, but it doesn't have any scary images. A lot of explosions and gunshots are in this movie. Along with that, there are some disturbing things such as a song about hanging and mentions of torture and murder. I'm no movie critic, but I think that the movie itself did a great job.
Kid, 10 years old November 28, 2014

VIOLENT, BUT NOT HORRIBLY

For mature 10 year olds and up. A lot of parts took me by surprise and I jumped a few times, but it's managable. Be VERY careful in the last couple of scenes. Overall, it was a pretty good movie. Definitely worth it.

Kid, 10 years old November 28, 2014
Ok, so this is the first PG -13 movie that I have seen in theaters. Two of my best friends had seen it with their families.I went with my mom who had read the all the books. Don't bother watching if you haven't seen the earlier movies in the trilogy (I have). It also helps if you have read the series of books (I have). At first I was really nervous! But the great thing about this movie is that is does not have as much violence compared to the other movies in the series. Being only 10 did make me one of the youngest kids in the theaters. Trust me you will not see many 8-10 kids. It's was a really good movie I thought. I think it requires a mature 10 year old to see a movie like this one. They definitely have to be aware of what's going on. I really can't wait to see part 2 in theaters. I will definitely take my best friends with me next time. In conclusion this is a good movie compared to the book, of course there some small changes. Please make sure your child is ready and aware. Thank you for reading and I hope I gave you some Valuable info about this movie from A 10 year olds perspective!
Teen, 13 years old Written byKeybladek November 21, 2014

The mockingjay lives!

This is a incredible sequel to the hunger games and catching fire and unlike catching fire is not filled with swearing (catching fire had multiple bleeped f-bombs and countless uses of da-m and hėll whereas mocking jay had no swearing whatsoever) it had a brief mention of Finick being sold as a "Sex slave" and several kisses but other than that was cleaner than catching fire (witch had Joanna Masson naked [with no nudity thanks to camera tricks]) and other than that it just leaves violence, which there's plenty of (including executions,explosions,skeletons and the bombing of a hospital) Quality which is amazingly realistic, and a good moral which there is considering it deals with concerning a corrupt capital and overcoming your fears overall I highly recommend "The hunger games: Mockingjay"

Teen, 13 years old Written byLaxislife November 29, 2014

Great Movie!

Loved this movie! There are some disturbing scenes such as *SPOILER* half cremated bodies, crushed skulls, lots of blood, and "criminals" being shot in the head. But otherwise a great movie!

Kid, 11 years old February 24, 2015

A fun thrill ride

This movie was really good and the story is also good. You might want to leave little kids at home though. While there is no language or sexual content there is violence. Districts are bombed with disturbing shots of dead body's, a hospital burns down, there are a couple of shoot outs, peeta is tortured and brainwashed and tries to kill Katniss, and characters are shot in the head by peacekeepers. But other than that, this is a great movie for older kids. The movie rotates from being an epic, nail biting thriller, to a slow moving drama. This movie is a great pick for Tweens and teens.

Teen, 13 years old Written bybubbleliscious9 February 18, 2015

Action packed, one of my favourite movies.

I would recommend this film for kids age 12 and above. This film has a lot of action in it and some of it is violent (intended to be violent or ended up causing injuries). There is a part in the film (SPOILERS) towards the end (around the last half hour) where Katniss rushes into the hospital wing of District 13 and she sees Johanna Mason and Annie Cresta in an extremely bad condition (Johanna more than Annie), after being rescued from The Capitol, which is the result of being tortured by President Snow. Katniss is then ushered into a separate room by Haymitch so she can see Peeta. Once Peeta has locked his eyes on her, he lunges at her throat, tackling her to the ground as he tries to strangle her. It is later learned that he only did this because he had been hijacked (tortured using tracker-jacker venom, which reverses his thoughts, making him think Katniss is a danger to everybody's lives) by President Snow. Johanna's head is shaved, she is having to use a cannula and there are a lot of visible scars all over her body. Annie has no physical damage. It is then shown that Katniss ends up in a neck brace, unable to speak, because of the strangulation. Katniss then gets out of bed and walks along the hallway, only to see Peeta thrashing about and crying in his bed while he is restrained. These particular scenes can be very distressing to younger viewers. There is also a lot of violence (more than the previous films, even though there are no more Games) throughout the whole film, i.e: (MORE SPOILERS) Dozens of Peacekeepers being blown up in a forest in District 7, the main electricity firm for Panem (with dozens of Peacekeepers inside) being blown up by the people of District 5 and a hospital in District 8, full of injured patients from a previous bombing, being bombed, causing the death of most of the survivors from District 8. This installment of the series is definitely more intense than previous films, and I would only recommend it for kids age 12 and above.

Teen, 13 years old Written bylandontube1 November 27, 2014

RED LIGHT, GREEN LIGHT

Suddenly, The Hunger Games franchise may be hitting hard. We start off with a slow, dark, emotional, and boring first half hour- but things slowly start to build up towards the films fantastic climax. Rebels galore- with strong messages and powerful thoughts... this is by FAR the most disturbing and entertaining installment yet. The violence is iffy however due to strong themes. Also keep in mind that the film ends on a rather scary and disturbing note that will most likely take young children by surprise. The writers leave us with the key to the beginning of this raging war and boy does it hurt! Although language, sexuality, and drinking/drugs/smoking is not applicable- keep in mind that this is a powerful movie no matter how old your children are.

Kid, 11 years old November 24, 2014

Prob mature 9/10 year olds

By the way, this review might have spoilers................................................................. An amazing movie... Things to watch out for: the 3 "criminals" are shot in the head, but they have black cloth around their head, so its not too bad. *********SPOILER********** At the endish area a certain boy attacks a certain girl violently and tries to strangle her to death (FYI she survives :0 ) You have to watch it doe (though). and in a makeshift hospital in district something or other the paitionts (?) look quite injured. blah, blah, watch it. PS i don't remember any swearing, and 2 brief kisses.
Teen, 13 years old Written bythehungermazegirl December 22, 2014

best movie ever

Mockingjay part 1, is AMAZING! Its good for kids. its not inappropriate. it has a little kissing but its not like kids don't see that every day. it has a little bit of violence. i started reading the hunger games books when i was 10; i love them. the movies are great too. so what i have to say about Mockingjay part 1 is ITS THE BEST AND I LOVE IT!

Teen, 13 years old Written byana_loves_movies December 21, 2014

AWESOME!

i absolutely loved this movie and thought it was the best so far!! i want next year to come so i can see part 2!!

Teen, 14 years old Written bymassie11 December 14, 2014

It works , But not as engaging

i am a newbie to thg so my friend made me watch the movies. i watched the first and some of cathhing fire. we saw this the friday it cam out . it was fine fun and good. but at some points its not as engaging . main issue is probably violence 8 out of 10 for violence.but it wont affect them 6.4 out of 10

Kid, 12 years old February 1, 2015

Exciting to know whats gonna happen next!!!

Can't wait till part two!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Teen, 13 years old Written byjbmeanor November 24, 2014

The best

Saw the perimer of the movie a day before it came out great movie just know that it is fake and let your kids know this to. Positive in standing up in what you believe.

Teen, 14 years old Written byeazy__breezy November 22, 2014

Not as violent as the first 2

Mocking Jay part 1 is not very violent at all compared to the first 2 films, the violence is very infrequent and pretty mild. The language is pretty much nonexistant, but still strong themes and death make this good for 13 and up, maybe 12.

Kid, 11 years old February 9, 2015

Awesome, Interesting, I have to say... THE BEST!

All the sixth graders watched this at school as a field trip and it was interesting and we took my eight year old brother to the movie and he enjoyed it and it provided some great discussions with him about role models, violence and all. It actually isn't violent at all. 8 and up could watch this for sure