All parent member reviews for The Hunger Games

Parent Written byhardtruth March 23, 2012

Now That's Entertaining!???

I just left a midnight showing where hundreds of teens packed into multiple theaters to watch the movie version of the now popular book they were assigned to read in junior high English. The anticipation was tangible as they waited to see how faithful the book was going to be to the movie, and if Katniss and Peeta were all they had imagined them to be. What they saw was hard core dehumanization. The fact that we find teens killing each other in big-screen gladiatorial combat entertaining marks a new societal low. This is more than a movie, it is a desensitizing and trivializing of life and death as a form of twisted broadcast amusement. Best summarized from a line in the film, "just think of them as the other animals you hunt". Our kids deserve better role models and higher quality food for thought.
Parent Written byDecaturmom123 March 23, 2012

Appalling... maybe. Important... yes.

I don't really understand why some think that his movie glorifies teens killing teens. I think quite the opposite is true. Is there violence?... yes. Is it a movie that is just too scary for young children?... yes. Are the themes too complex for most young children?.... yes. That being said, this movie does anything but glorify teens killing teens. Indeed, the heroes of the movie actually risk their own lives to save others that they should be trying to kill. I'd recommend that anyone who is appalled by this movie read all three Hunger Games books so you can see the bigger picture and fully understand the larger themes. It may change your mind. The Hunger Games books provide an important commentary on just how far our obsession with reality TV can go and just how far a government with too much power can go. Reality TV today showcases and even glorifies bad decisions and suffering. It's about time that someone showed teens how dehumanizing Reality TV could be..... taken to it's extreme. A movie or book series that can get that message across to adolescents without being preachy (preaching never works with teens) gets an A in my book.
Parent Written bytwp6045 March 21, 2012

Kids Killing Kids by Force is Horrific...No Matter What the Spin!

Don't overlook the primary theme of the books and this movie...it's KIDS KILLING KIDS!! I'm saddened by all the desentization surrounding this horrific theme, cloaked by all the "self-sacrifice" and "positive role model" talk. There are literally 1000s of books/movies with positive messages that don't use such a barbaric premise. This isn't a battle of good vs. evil, where at least violence is understandable. And this isn't a "survivor-type" reality show, where adults with free will compete for a prize. This is KIDS FORCED to KILL other KIDS!!! If it seems like I'm being redundant, then I've made my point. I hope more concerned parents speak out against this despicable plot. We should NEVER condon even a fictional story where such frightening behavior by adults is portrayed, and I hope my kids are never exposed to anything like this.
Parent Written byRita102 March 22, 2012

Appalled

I'm appalled that this movie is being allowed to be shown. With all the youth killings and bullying, this is not a good movie at all. My God what is this world coming to! kids hunting and killing kids.
Parent Written byEat your veggies March 24, 2012

Be a conscientious consumer and embrace the powerful female protagonist

Do folks remember Lord of the Flies? It was required reading in Middle School for decades. Similarly, Hunger Games walks a delicate line between glorifying violence and demonstrating how vile those who embrace it are. Its themes include the developmental history of violent behavior, the potential risk to individuals and society of glorifying violence, the power of alliances and community to create change, the power of a love story and underdog to attract attention, the challenges of disparities between the haves and the have-nots, and more! Thoughtful parents and children have the opportunity to explore and discuss why we are both attracted to and repulsed by these themes. Don't burn books or movies. Be a conscientious consumer! Having read and discussed the books, my ten-year-old daughter and I saw this movie. Some images were haunting, but we were prepared. She and I particularly enjoyed the powerful female protagonist. How often do we get to see that?!
Parent Written byJust an Opinion March 22, 2012

It's a Sick World

There is so much killing in real life. If you're into violence, just watch the news to be informed and to learn about these daily issues. (reality television, totalitarian government, and screen violence) It's a sick world that finds such plots, as this book offers, entertaining. Even sicker that they would allow their children to see it.
Parent Written byelizabeth2771 March 24, 2012

Violent but with a moral purpose

I think those who believe the purpose of this movie is to glamorize child on child violence have either not seen the movie or completely missed the point or are incapable of understanding the point. It reminds me of the hysterical crowd who were convinced Harry Potter was all about turning kids to dark magic and Satanism. Yes, the movie has violence and the violence is perpetrated by teenagers on teenagers but it is more a commentary on a society that has become numb to humanity and has dehumanized anyone not just like themselves. The teenagers are being forced into an untenable situation by an evil totalitarian government bent on perpetual punishment of those who dared to rise against them. The residents of the Capitol are spoiled to the point of depravity and no longer view those in the outlying districts as human with the rights or feelings of humans. It is an indictment of the reality TV mentality that has caused people to stop seeing the people on TV as people and has enabled us to see them and their pain as objects of ridicule and hilarity. Katniss enters the arena, in her sister's stead, with Peeta, the boy from her district, and they begin the change of the world by playing the game by their own rules. They play with all the integrity they can muster and eventually make a stand against the intentions of the game and of the evil government, putting themselves in danger, and sparking a rebellion. So, for those who think the only point of the bloodshed was for the sake of watching children hack away at each other I would say you weren't paying attention or you deliberately didn't ever intend to pay attention. You had your minds made up before you ever saw it. I wouldn't take a small child, someone under 10 years old, unless they have read the books and you have talked about them a lot. If the child hasn't already read the books I would think they should probably be 13 years old and then you need to be prepared to talk about ethics, political systems and the moral/ethical error in treating people like objects. The violence is fast and shaky so not much time is spent lingering on the details. If you would allow your child to see Lord of the Rings I don't think there should be much of a problem in that regard.
Parent Written bymovienerd78 March 22, 2012

Violent, but impowering ages 12+

While the book adaptation is violent the camera turns away often. Teens are forced kill other teens, however that is not the main focus of the film and deaths happen briefly or offscreen. Haymitch is drunk most of the time. In an overpowered America the Capitol has control. Katniss is a good role model and everyone in the arena (well almost everyone) knows it's wrong to kill each other yet is forced. I took my 15 year old daughter and 12 year old son to this movie and they both loved it, my son didn't mind the violence and knew that it is wrong to kill each other. Everybody needs to relax as this is what America could become and it's not too violent. The Hunger Games gives something to think about and a positive message to preteens and teens. For mature 11 year olds and all 12 year olds and up.
Parent Written bycommoffsense March 23, 2012

Awfull!!!!!!!!!!

I was really expecting them to be fabulous, considering all the good things I'd heard about them (a majority of those good things said by the people from here, actually), but I didn't find that I loved or hated them. I wouldn't, say, rush out and see it. It was way overrated. Not only that, it was super innapropraite. I wasnt expecting a book-series that was intended for pre teens and teens to be this bad in the movies. Violence, gore, body parts hanging limb from limb, arrows grusomely going through the eye of one teen, a toe nail being...well torn off. I brought my 13 year old and we had to leave it was so gruesome and gore filled. Not only that but its sending a message to our kids that its okay to kill people. I am sure none of you will beleve me and will still see this with your kids who will wind up being disturbed for life. Please dont see this!!
Parent of a 6 and 11 year old Written byTerjy March 27, 2012

Parents beware - why to expose your children to this material?

This movie is utterly inappropriate for any elementary or middle school aged children. While it is becoming customary to expose our youth to desensitizing material, there is no common sense to it. Watching children killing each other is bad for anyone's psychological development regardless of how interesting the underlying story is. It is a sick scenario and requires maturity that the elementary school children and tweens who are so interested in this story (book and movie) lack. Great, but intense, movie for older teens and adults. Parents need to take a stand. Just say no.
Parent Written bymommy in charge March 30, 2012

Just a mean mom, I guess.

I think the central idea, children killing children for the gratuitous pleasure of others, is getting lost in the whole debate over whether to let your kid see it or not. This is going on now. We turn our head and think it's someone's problem but certainly not mine. The only difference is we don't watch it for sport, but it's on the evening news, every night. Is that a reason to let you kid see this movie??? Stop trying to justify it by saying she is a strong female who takes care of her family and is independent and is a strong role model. We are desensitizing our children and younger and younger ages now. Why must children see this kind of image to be entertained. Honestly folks, who is the parent???? This is not a movie or a book for less than 14. Lord of the Flies? It was in high school in the 80's and if you read it in middle school, that just proves my point. Can't we just let them be kids. BTW, the author gave an interview where she stated she wrote the books for a 15 and up audience. I stick with the author and tell my kid no, no matter how many tears, whines and other parents have let their kids do it. I have no problem being mean mom. Someday, she'll thank me for it.
Adult Written bymwright0622 March 23, 2012

Awesome movie!!

I just got back home from watching this movie with my 15 year old daughter. It was Awesome! I wouldn't recommend it for very young kids-but teens and older will love it! It followed the book pretty closely. There are a few people writing reviews that are LYING! What sexual content? A couple of kisses and that's it. And no Gore at all!! If you've read the books it was much worse! It was in great detail- but in the movie, you would see a little blood splatter every now and then and it showed a couple of wounds- the book was gory- the movie was not. You can't go to a movie about 'Fighting to the death' and not expect at least some violence. However- if you've read the books- you know that most of the people weren't happy with the way things were.They hated watching kids fight kids. Most of the kids hated it too- that's what makes the books so inspiring and what makes Katniss a good role model. She stands up for what she believes in and wants to make a change in the world- for the better. I highly recommend it! For those that say it's just about 'kids wanting to kill other kids'- then you haven't read the books and you don't have a clue what you're talking about. My daughter is only 15, but she said that one of the biggest things she got out of reading the books and watching the movie is- 'One person can make a difference- if they just stand up for what they believe is right'.
Parent Written byHungerGamesSux March 24, 2012

no good

Should be rated R for: Brutal Killing of the Underage, Drinking by Underage, Sexual content of Underage.
Parent Written byatac March 23, 2012

Excellent Movie

this is an excellent movie and although Katniss is a postive role modle, realize that only one is suppose to come out of the games alive. All the other's must die
Educator and Parent Written bymom94 March 23, 2012

More a book review

I agree with another poster, there is violence in other books/movies which I will allow my children to view. However, my 14 yos had to read this last summer. Both found it very disturbing. They found child on child violence appalling. I agree with them. I suggest a parental preview before allowing children to read or watch.
Adult Written byXandra March 24, 2012

deeper than the average action movie

First of all, I am a teacher (3rd-4th grade) as well as a huge fan of the books. I was very impressed with how close the movie stayed to the books. I had my concerns going in- that they would either go overboard on the violence and glorify it, or that they would cut it out and miss the whole point. However, they found a great balance- they toned down the graphic violence to make it less disturbing (often the violent scenes involve quick movements, none that I recall had as much blood as I'd imagined while reading the books). They did, however, show enough of the violence to adequately make the point that Katniss is a heroine because she (and Peeta) want no part of what the Capitol is trying to force on them. There was a little bit of language that may not be advised for younger viewers, but nothing horrific. Bottom line: if you have a mature kid who is capable of understanding the underlying themes and meanings, it's a great movie. For those concerned about the violence and kids killing kids- well, it's less glorifying of violence than any war movie I've seen. So if your kid is old enough to watch any of those- this has a far better message.
Parent Written byEaglemouse March 22, 2012

Not as graphic as the book

The movie in itself is a lot more tame then the books... Less detail to the graphic scenes depicted in the book, yes there is death, but it manageable to see.... If your child has a good understanding of real and not real and can seperate fiction from real life.... This movie is fine to watch, I will let my 11yo and if my 9 yo wants to watch it, i'd let her too..... It is actually a good movie to then talk to your children about holding your ground, remembering where you came from, what you believe in and being true to yourself... You CAN be that person that doesnt succumb to everyone elses expections.... One suspensefull scene where u are waiting for something to jump out at you may be and issue for a jumpy sensitive child who doesnt like anything scary. ( had me jump out of my chair,lol ) Sexual content is not an issue for any child, unless a very small kiss makes you squeamish.... Some drinking ( adult character only) and no smoking or illicit drugs.
Adult Written byMillie Hatton December 20, 2013

Stop babying your kids!

I understand that some kids can handle certain things and others can't. But you really need to stop babying your children. I think 10+ can read the books and yes, the movie is incredibly violent. But, it's not much different from what happens on the news. If your child is easily influenced by violent films then give this one a miss but sooner or later, they're going to have to learn that not everything is rainbows and butterflies. Katniss and Gale are seen sneaking into the woods (illegal) to hunt. She also shows the importance of family by volunteering to take her sister's place in the games. She endures hardships in the arena and uses knowledge and makes very smart decisions. Though she is flawed, she is nothing less than an amazing role model. Yes, the scenes can be graphic and bloody but the movie shows her reluctance to kill and she isn't thrilled by the fact of shooting someone. She depicts the bonds of friendship when she attempts to save Rue and covers her with flowers at her death. There are a couple of passionate kisses but nothing over the top. Haymitch appears drunk multiple times but he sobers up a bit towards the end. Cinna is one of my favourite characters, he helps Katniss make an impression and gives her confidence boosts throughout. Language isn't a major issue. I understand that it can be traumatising so know your child but I showed my 12 year old sister this and she was fine, don't overprotect your children.
Parent of a 6, 7, and 10 year old Written bysapientia March 25, 2012

Do what's right, even though others pressure you not to.

Imagine yourself seated next to your 10, 11, or even 12 year old while you watch 12-18 year olds beating each other to death, stabbing each other with blood spurting, and shooting each other at point blank range (does it really matter that it's arrows and not guns?). Close your eyes and really imagine. If any of this makes you uncomfortable, then you know deep down the answer to whether or not a preteen should see this movie. Yes, there is a good overall message, but it will be missed by even the brightest child because their young minds will be trying to cope with seeing such violence. Consider this: until adolescence, your child's brain is going through a process of "synaptic pruning." This pruning starts near the time of birth and is completed by the end of puberty. Pruning is influenced by environmental factors and is widely thought to represent learning. This neural immaturity is what accounts for the relative ease with which children learn. Input they receive makes a psychic imprint on their minds. Now ask yourself, "Do I want to imprint my child's mind with violence?" Ironically enough, this happens to be the "good message" of the film - doing what's right even though others pressure you not to. So do what's right and tell your kids, "not never, just not now."
Educator Written byKballew March 24, 2012

The Hunger Games

This movie was really wonderful, the books were more violent than the movie was. I think the content of this movie is appropriate for kids 12 and up. The only reason I have for that is because the violence, there is just so much killing going on. I don't think children under the age of 12 can handle it. Other than that, the movie was wonderful. It had really good positive messages on respect and family. The best role model was of course Katniss. Katniss is so strong, a fighter for her family and she didn't ever seem to want to become violent. Once someone she cares about though passes away, you can see her start to become even more of a fighter in the Hunger Games. Thats the way I viewed the movie. If you plan on taking your children under the age of 12, I suggest talking to them about the movie first and the violence. I honestly believe if their younger than 12 and are mature for their age, they could probably handle it.