All teen and kid member reviews for The Hunger Games

Teen, 16 years old Written byRustyGirl March 22, 2012

Not quite as violent as the book

Incredibly, The Hunger Games movies has stayed extremely close to the book, with only a few minor changes, and several larger ones that, while it didn't quite happen that way in the book, it's about as close as they could get without making a 5-hour movie. The violence is toned down somewhat. Most of the deaths were slightly off-camera, though in many cases you can still see the blood fly. Deaths that were somewhat gruesome in the books are still the nastiest, but you don't see too much of what's going on, or what happened. One scene involving a certain type of bug/muttation may scare kids. A death on the first night that could have been somewhat disturbing for younger kids was avoided in the movie (Careers show up, cuts back to Katniss' face, a scream is heard. You find out what happens second-hand from Glimmer as the Career Pack run past). Gamemakers talk about killing off Tributes, even joking about it. The end of the Games is nowhere near as gruesome as the book, and is shorter. There are several "shock" moments that had my friend, also sixteen, jump a good three inches. After the first one, she looked at the projector rather than the screen because we knew an even bigger "shock" moment was coming up. Haymitch, the District 12 mentor, starts off the movie very drunk. As the movie goes on, he sobers up and starts doing everything he can to actually help Peeta and Katniss. For sexual content, there's hardly anything worth noting - just a couple of kisses between Katniss and Peeta. Overall, the movie was really good. The use of a hand-held camera in many places gave you the feeling of actually being there. I actually got lost watching it, which doesn't happen often. In the end, it depends on your kid. If they were okay reading the books, they they'll likely be all right watching the movie - though be wary, seeing it play out on screen could make it seem more "real."
Teen, 15 years old Written byspacechick22 March 23, 2012

Dear Over Concerned Parents, I BEG YOU TO READ THIS!

Dear Over concerned parents, I would just like to share my opinion here, to those parents complaining about how violent, bloody, etc. this movie is and how it is somehow promoting teen violence, you have either not read to books, are taking the movie at face value, or underestimating the teenage audience. If you have read the books than you would know that Suzanne Collins is doing anything BUT promoting violence, her books serve as a warning against totalitarian government and out of control obsession with reality TV. Secondly, please try not to take this movie at face value, if you do you will only see the bloody killing and not the message AGAINST killing that it is trying to get across. Finally, please do underestimate us teenagers. Most of us understand the message that this movie and the book series was try to put across, ANTI VIOLENCE and FREEDOM! In order to get this point across, Ms.Collins chose to depict the worst kind of violence and totalitarian government in order to warn people AWAY from it, which I, and many others, believe is the most effective way. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, know your facts before you judge, never take anything at face value, and have some faith in our society and your future generation. I'm sure you've thought there must be more to this movie and these books than kids killing kids, and there is and most of us see it, and that is what makes the Hunger Games so incredible and it's message AGAINST violence so vital. Thank You for Reading, I hope that some of you can take a second look, and maybe rethink a bit. If not, I tried my best.
Teen, 13 years old Written byqwerty8me556 March 23, 2012

The Hunger Games

First of all, this is an utterly fantastic movie. The acting is superb, the effects were great, and over all, it was a great adaption. Many people are worried that it's too violent for tweens. I've scrolled through the reviews on this site, and they're crazy. "15+. NOT for kids!" That's a bit ridiculous. What I noticed while seeing it on opening night is that you never really see any weapons enter the body of another person. (Except for once.) You just hear a scream, and a body fall. Let's see. . . about 50% of the deaths were off screen, and the deaths you do see aren't horribly violent. (*SPOILERS FOR BOOK*) (*SPOILERS FOR BOOK*) Everyone is worried about Cato getting ripped to shreds, but actually, I hardly saw anything. It was dark and the camera was shaky and you didn't really see Cato at all. Iffy violent scenes in order of most violent to least: 1. Tracker Jackers 2. Rue 3. Cato 4. Cornucopia Other than this, it's just some injuries and such. (*END SPOILERS*) It's not overly violent, but it really depends if you (or your tween) can stomach some stuff that might make you jump in your seat. Now that this violence is cleared up, you really need to get going. You're going to miss your showing. Go. Watch. Be amazed. Have some laughs. Have fun.
Kid, 11 years old March 20, 2012

The Hunger Games Rules!!

Wonderful Book AND Movie!!
Teen, 15 years old Written byTheWhiteKnight March 20, 2012

While intense and violent, teenagers will most likely handle it.....

The movie is well done, and has positive messages through the story along with characters that are better role models than the stereotype character today. The main issue is it is pretty violent for a PG-13 film. It can be intense and actually pretty cringe-worthy at parts (and this is coming from someone who rate Drive as a pause for 14 y/o teen). While the violence seems to cause some stressful moments, only really sensitive teens or children under 12 would have a hard time handling the movie's content. Try and discuss with your kids about the film, not a sit down and "have a chat" with your kid, but a conversation about the film's themes and role model characters.
Kid, 12 years old March 24, 2012

I totally disagree with every comment I've seen so far...

Everyone's saying that it's way too violent and gruesome and it's sick because it's kids killing kids. First of all-READ THE BOOKS. There is so much more going on than the violence. That's the whole point, kids killing kids. It's sick and the people in Panem are trying to stop it and Katniss starts the rebellion. If you watch the movie: We are rooting for Katniss because Katniss disagrees with the Hunger Games. Everyone should. No one WANTS to watch kids die. You people should really think because this movie gives you a whole new perspective on how awful our world could get. This is an amazing movie and I totally disagree with all of you people who think there is too much violence. THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT!
Kid, 12 years old March 23, 2012

Phenomenal, but Bloody

Just so you know, this IS a very intense, graphic movie, just like the book. I was so happy they stayed pretty true to the phenomenal book, and thought the movie was so great and unique. Katniss and Peeta are great role models- Katniss protects people she loves, and Peeta is so kind-hearted and pure. The beginning of the Games is a full-on bloodbath. They dont do close ups of the tributes being killed, but there is quite a bit of blood. Tributes are killed by swords, arrows, daggers, crushed heads, and in one case, poison venom which results in the character swollen and grotesque. There is one scene in which there is kissing and flirting, but fairly mild. There is occasional language(d**n, Oh my God, Hell), but pretty infrequent. Haymitch is a drunk, but turns out to be a good mentor. This was a fantastic movie, and I absolutely adored it(saw it twice :)), but view discretion is advised.
Teen, 15 years old Written byNeon_Fish December 28, 2015

Great

The hunger games movie is amazingly every aspect. The movie stays true to the book, with its promotion of sending the messages 'be yourself' and 'standing up for what's right'. The movie contains various themes of moderate violence, drinking, some romance, but overall sends strong messages to the audience, (mostly younger people) and if you are thinking of seeing it you will be not be disappointed.
Teen, 13 years old Written byCool Kid Reviewer March 23, 2012

Great!

I think this is a great movie! For people who say there is too much killing, then why see a movie that has the whole plot around killing? I think if people read the book, and talk about it with there children it could even be OK for 11 years. There are a few scary scenes, but other than that, a great movie, off of a great book!
Kid, 12 years old March 22, 2012

Wouldn't recommend it

Here's why: the main conflict in the movie has to do with a "Fight-to-the-Death" kinda thing. That's really kinda violent. I wouldn't really recommend it.
Kid, 12 years old January 5, 2016

Gory but overall a good movie

The Hunger Games.Everyone has heard of it.Whether a friend read it and told you the story or you read it,most people can agree on one thing:it's gruesome and emotional.I myself have read the books and this is definitely a Dystopia. The first hunger games movie did not really have any great messages I could find.They value bravery,and strength,but they also value being ruthless,and a bit of a primal instinct a will to live.This might be a good message to you but I certainly don't think eight year old's should hear about killing to survive.I have to admit I'm being a bit of a hypocrite -I watched it when I was eight- but that is my honest feeling:12 and up. Katniss is definitely a good role model,brave,self-less,though sometimes she's a bit irrational and acts out of instinct.She also definitely has the will to survive,as I mentioned earlier.That is not a minor message,almost all of the games are based on that.You are weak or strong.Weak die.Strong battle.Only one survives. Violence is going to be looooooooooong. The start of the movie is Katniss hunting,though nothing other than the bird/prey's bodies are shown.The reaping shows gruesome,past games,and it might shock little kids that anyone could send 12 year old's to that.The first scene in the games shows the Cornucopia battle,I guess you could call it.That kills several tributes,including being stabbed and other gruesome fights.I won't say much more about violence to shorten this,but there are violent boils?More like swollen faces.Several characters are killed gruesomely,including an EXTREMELY EMOTIONAL SCENE where an important character is speared through the abdomen.Seriously,you will cry.The scene might shock little children,like my sister who watched it ttw years ago.Gory injuries and much,much more awaits. There are several kisses,including a passionate one between the two main characters. Peeta admits his love for Katniss,which started in (I'm assuming as he said the very first day ever a school) first grade,which means 6 or 7. I never remember swearing or consumerism,but I can tell you Haymitch drinks like,a lot.I think there are no drugs,but Katniss is given something to force Peeta to sleep.No smoking. All in all,if you've read the book you will be surprised,as it is much more gory and detailed,but you will not be dissapointed,it is great.If you haven't,give it a try anyways.My two BFF's love the Hunger Games and they've never read the books (I admit I have told them about it)It's really good,but children under like,ten r eleven should not watch it.I did 12 and up because of the gory scenes but you should cope at 11.Great movie,I recomend it.
Teen, 16 years old Written bylalalavender March 21, 2012

Excellent!

As a proud nerd of the Hunger Games, i most wholeheartedly approve :)
Kid, 10 years old April 23, 2016

Film Adaptation of Global Phenomnenon Has Great Role Models and Messages

Plot The Hunger Games is set in the remains of North America now called Panem after what has appeared to be a uprising against the capital (the main state of Panem) which got as hectic as a World War. After this the capital agreed to round up one male and female child of the ages between 12-18 and make them fight to the death as a reminder of the uprising and the Capital's power. This movie follows the life of a young girl named Kattniss Everdeen a sixteen year old girl who has the weight of taking care of a family after her father had died in a mine explosion. (Sensitive Parents might start worrying about things here) We soon find out that Kattniss has amazing skill with a bow and that she commits illegal activity but she only breaks the law so her family will not starve to death. Her sister prim plays a big role in the plot her sister is twelve so it is her first year that her name will be put in to roster for the games. But when it is reaping day ( the day tributes are chosen ) the unthinkable happens. Prim gets picked as she will certainly get slaughterd Kattniss volunteers in her place. The male tribute is Peta Melark the bakers son. They wish for odds to be in their favour send them into the Capital and the games begin. Messages Some parents think that this movie is promoting violence but the authors intention was to do anything but promote violence. In fact this movie could be used as a good learning oportinuty to teach kids about the cost of War and mindless killing and how terrible it is. Role Models Many young girls including me see Kattniss as a role model parents do NOT be alarmed by this. Kattniss is a brave and selfless person and only kills if she has to and doesn't just kill everything in front of her she actually doesn't kill anyone with a weapon until half way through the movie. Violence This movie does have quite a lot of violence but the level of graphicness that a ten year old can't handle. Most of the time you don't even see any blood and they fall to the floor or you just don't see it at all. In my opinion the most realistic death is Rue's death were she gets speared and she pull it out of her stomach. Here you do see some blood but all it really is a red blob under her jacket. The only other scene that was a bit gross was the tracker jacker scence. A tracker jacker is a golden wasp that can cause hallucinations and sometimes death, Katniss uses these bugs to kill a few tributes that have tracked her down. Only one tribute dies but you see all the boils and scars that it leaves which is a little bit disturbing. Romance Throughout the later half of the movie Kattniss and Peta share a somewhat romantic relationship but all they do is kiss so it's not that serious. Swearing There is common use of hell, damn, oh my God so not anything your ten year old isn't using Consumerism The people of the Capital use what is rumoured to be expensive makeup and nail polish and have expensive clothes and jewellery. The people of district 12 (Kattniss' home) have a black market where they illegally trade. Drinking, Drug, Smoking Hamictch can be seen drinking and is constantly is under the effects of being drunk. But this only persists for a short time Thank you for reading this is my first review so I hope you liked it
Teen, 13 years old Written byzoldyckassassin June 8, 2016

Very poor adaptation

A bitter disappointment to say the least. The film follows the basic story-line but lacks emotional depth that the book contains. The character development is almost nonexistent and the deaths in the arena are bloodless in every sense of the word. Katniss and Peeta's romance comes across as cheesy and unconvincing. There is no hint of the bond that grows between them as the story progresses. There was no sense of tension. The tributes make all kinds of noise as they move through the woods, seemingly oblivious to the fact that they are being hunted. Katniss stands about ten feet away from Cato as he snaps a boys neck and we are supposed to believe he doesn't see her? The scenes from the control room are pointless and add nothing to the movie. They should have spent that time on character development! Unfortunately, this lack of character development causes the emotional scenes to fall flat. I am astounded this was even possible, given the subject matter, but the overall result lacks intensity and depth. I will credit Elizabeth Banks with an excellent portrayal of Effie Trinket. She adds humor and a sense of the absurdity of Capitol life. Donald Sutherland also does well as President Snow. Jennifer Lawrence is an adequate Katniss but Josh Hutcherson is terrible as Peeta. He's just not very likable. We see none of his inner strength. Instead, he comes across and whiny and weak. This movie had a lot of potential but it fell short in many important ways. A score of 1/5 is pretty harsh but I felt as though the filmmakers kept all of the plot points and none of the meaning. Read the books instead.
Teen, 13 years old Written byZoe0728 March 2, 2015
It's a great movie but just be prepared for a little violence entering the arena .
Kid, 11 years old November 11, 2014

Great

The hunger games is a great movie but it is way more violent than the books. The age range I suggest is pre teens to teens((preteens should know that it is violent and a lot of people die. Only more mature preteens should watch it. Teens should be fine.) I definitely do not recommend the movie for younger viewers. Even if they have read the books, the movie is more graphic. It does not have a lot of blood but you do see many dead people and killings with many weapons(swords, spears, knives,hand-to-hand combat etc.) There is some kissing but not a lot of it. If you are looking for an exact replica of the book then you should go to another movie because they leave many things out. Overall, it is an amazing movie full of and a positive role model
Teen, 14 years old Written byLukeTheGreat May 1, 2012

Largely misunderstood

Is it really necessary to write review number 395 for The Hunger Games? How would one do so without simply stating what everyone else has already said, and probably in more eloquent terms? Well, I can't pretend that I know the answers to those questions, but I'll try. I think that this film is mostly getting negative response from parents who know the premise and thus wish to discourage anyone from seeing it without actually doing so themselves. I, too, was wary when walking in the theater that Gary Ross and company may have glamorized the violence to such an extent that the audience might actually enjoy it. In this regard, I was pleasantly surprised. These parents are right: kids killing kids is horrific. And the film, for the most part, does an excellent job of portraying this. The violence is understandably toned down for the PG-13 rating, but it's still visceral enough that the viewer gets a sufficient idea of what an awful prospect the Games really are. Much of said violence is offscreen, but enough is present to warrant my rating of "iffy" for ages 12 and under. I know 12-year-olds who would be fine with this film. However, I know others who would be appalled by it, or worse, think that the Hunger Games are actually pretty cool. Know your child, and their mindset, before showing them this.
Kid, 10 years old March 22, 2012

my review

I think the movie is good for 12 and up because killing involving teens. I think the main chareter does something nice for her sister like volenteering for her sister when she gets chosen for the games at the reaping. in this movie there is teamwork between katniss and peeta to stay alive and go back to their district.
Teen, 14 years old Written bybenkitching13 November 16, 2015

The Hunger Games

Why The Hunger Games isn't simply "Teens V.S Teens Warfare". •The protagonist takes no pleasure in killing and, along with many others, plots to overthrow the party responsible for the teen's situation.
Teen, 14 years old Written byAngm September 5, 2015

Its amazing.

I first read the Hunger Games Trilogy and was really impressed. The movie captures its exact energy and emotion. It was definetly worth seeing. There is some violence that's not graphic and scary parts but they are fine if your child is mature and knows that this is just a movie. I was 10 or 11 when my parents took me to see the movie in theatres and I really enjoyed it. It is just such an amazing movie that if you're child doesn't end up seeing today, should definetly see sometime in their lives. Some kissing, but it is short and not gross.