All parent member reviews for The Hurricane

Parent Written byashute May 22, 2012

OK to watch and discuss with a teen

I watched this movie with my 14 year old son. I felt that it provided an opening to a conversation about racism and some background for current societal conversations that kids today can't understand because they've never seen real racism. I agree that the language is a little raw, but no worse than he hears on the school bus. The racial epithets became part of the conversation of how different groups have been treated. Besides, this is a good, entertaining movie and the first few minutes have some of the best boxing footage ever.
Adult Written byclarence August 4, 2015
Adult Written byjmo97 May 28, 2016

An interesting biographic that has severe pacing issues.

The Hurricane is a biographic about Rubin "Hurricane" Carter, a real-life boxer who got imprisoned after he was accused of murdering at least three people in a bar. The acting in this movie is overall very good, with Denzel Washington being the stand out (because honestly this movie is about his character). The themes of the movie, which include redemption and perseverance, and the story are very interesting, and I recognize that the filmmakers were trying to create an honorable film about racial prejudice. That alone should give some interest for parents to watch with their mature teens. For me though, after the first hour or so, the film REALLY started to drag, and instead of being engaged, I was tired and relieved (though somewhat inspired) by the film's end. For violence, there are two intense boxing matches (though they don't last more than a few minutes), a shooting at a bar with some blood spurts, and a scene where a bottle is smashed on a guy's head, and that man is later stabbed in the arm (there is blood). For sexual content, the scenes of real concern are one where some prisoners are shown naked from behind and searched by guards, and then another scene where a molester tries to get closer to a boy (he touches the boy's head, but is later stopped). There is a fair amount of foul language (standard cursing), but it's not pervasive. The Hurricane is an honorable movie, but I had trouble finishing it. 6.2/10