Kid reviews for The Impossible

Very intense story of family's survival against the odds.

Teen, 13 years old Written byShen2 June 20, 2013

Sad but really great movie!

Such a good movie. However, there are some VERY sad and disturbing parts of the movie, like one part where 2 people start coughing up some stringy black stuff which is not nice to see, and another part where there is a big hole in some-ones leg. It is also very sad when you see the body bags that the dead people were put in. I noticed that some of the bags were extremely small, which choked me up with tears. However, it does have some positive role models and messages, as it teaches you to hope, believe the best, and look to the future

Teen, 16 years old Written byBestPicture1996 January 12, 2013

Devastating and inspiring

Katrina seems like a rain storm compared to the hundreds of thousands who were swept away in the 2004 tsunami. I remember so clearly hearing the news on the day after Christmas, and just being overwhelmed with grief. This extremely intense film shows the horrors of that occurance, but also the power of the human spirit. I'm so joyful Watts got an Oscar nomination; the agony written on her face throughout "The Impossible" is something only a vet like her could achieve. It's not even a tearjerker so much as just...horrifying. I can't recommend seeing it twice, but a single viewing will blow you away.

Kid, 11 years old March 2, 2015

The Impossible

The Impossible is a well made film but has some very disturbing scenes in the aftermath of disaster we see dead body's and horrific injuries including characters getting hit by bricks when trapped underwater and realistic injurys that are quite graphic however it's got a good educational value and is well acted and a great movie for teens.

Teen, 13 years old Written byTheReview January 28, 2013

amazing 2004 tsunami dramatization has an overload of emotions

i saw this movie today and the first thing id like to say is it is VERY bloody. also, for all you wondering, the movie actually doesn't stray very far from the true story. this movie is filled with glimpses of dead bodies, terrible wounds and people emotionally and physically dying. it is filled with terror and sadness, but has positive role models of the boy always watching over his mother. ill keep this review short so i dont spoil the movie for you, but all in all this is a very intense emotion filled movie and its really based on the child on whether they can handle it.

Teen, 17 years old Written bysmithsasaiodjsalf February 25, 2017

Distrubing

Watched it with my family... a 13 year old, 17 and parents. Often had to fast forward as gory content. Was not worth the watch. Showed multiple scenes were covered in blood and in pain. Overall disturbing content.

Teen, 13 years old Written byMimefaceuser20 January 27, 2017

Deserves to be rated PG-13

This definitely deserves to be rated how it is. It is sad, bloody, and there is a brief moment of partial nudity( they didn't have to have it ) when the mother's bloody breast is shown.

Teen, 15 years old Written byDogemaster August 3, 2016

Great movie, Very powerful, gory and violent

This was an amazing movie. Positive role models throughout the movie. The reason I gave it a 15 year old rating is because of the gore. On a couple parts, it gets very gory. As the mother is flowing through the water, a branch sticks into her leg and blood colors the water. The young boy is intensely thrown around in a big wave. These scenes weren't too bad. A few minutes later though, the mother is walking and the son notices that the back of her leg is a huge gaping bloody hole with a tree in it. It was very gory. The only other very gory part is when they are in the hospital. The son tries to give another woman a tangerine, and she begins to puke up blood. Then his mother begins to do the same. The scene is intense and very sickening. After that, there isn't much gore. The movie was very violent but very good. My mature little sister (12) had to leave the room for the first half of the movie. I watched it through. The only other thing that was a little sketchy was when the mom notices she has a stick in her leg, her breast also shows for a quick second. There was barely any language. I highly recommend this movie to teens.

Teen, 13 years old Written byRobby Berger April 18, 2014

Know your kid before you watch this with them

This is a great movie about survival against the odds. When a tsunami hits the beach resort where the family is staying, The whole area is obliterated and each family member looks for another. Although it is a touching story of a mother's desire to keep her kids safe, there is a lot of blood from objects in the water and a scene where the mom is trying to save her son and gets her leg caught on an object in the water. After that, there is a large flap of skin (about 6 inches long) missing from her leg. Another part is when her shirt partially comes off and exposes her trunk.

Teen, 14 years old Written bynataliechun July 5, 2013

Violent vs. Inspirational

This movie was a gut-wrenching tale of a terrible tsunami and a heart-breaking story of a loving family. It brought me to tears every minute but kept me on my toes. I am 14 years old (and quite mature for my age) but I had difficulty watching this without biting my lip or covering my eyes. Violence was definitely an issue. During the tsunami, the mother received an atrocious wound in which her skin was detached from her body. The mother is dragged across the ground, aggravating her wound and causing her to scream in pain. That particular scene made me very tense and stressed. However, the story showed the importance of family and was a truly inspirational movie about survival.

Teen, 15 years old Written bybiovox14 November 14, 2016

Great movie if it hadn't been for nudity.

Ok so I love Ewan McGregor and most of his movies, and this one doesn't let down, but they just had to make sure they got that brief, pointless nudity in there. It has no standing with the movie, and was a pointless scene. The rest was fine with the exception of some heavy emotional themes. Great movie that I advise you watch:)
Kid, 11 years old August 31, 2014

The Impossible

This movie is a great and gripping true story of the horrific events of the Asian tnsunami. This movie is pushing the boundaries for a 12 rating by the bbfc, it should be a weak 15 because the injuries are pretty gory and realistic, people are drowned or crushed by the debris.It is very bloody. In once scene, people cough up seaweed covered in dark red blood. There is not much bad language in this film but it is violent, this movie is unsuitable for anyone below the age of 13.

Kid, 12 years old May 28, 2017

Very Edgy for PG-13

This movie is very bloody for a PG 13. Maria is covered in blood throughout the whole movie and one close-up scene is gory. Everyone is bruised and battered. There is nudity but asexual, as CSM says. There's mild language too. However, the movie is brilliant. Its a maracle how the family survived, especially Maria.

Kid, 12 years old August 16, 2013

Depressing

The acting was phenominal in it but it was DEPRESSING. Swearing like h*** and d*** nothing very bad. VERY gory and disgusting. Blood pucking skin loss was actully painful to watch. Though the son and mom stay together its positive messages I guess. The son points out his moms breast is exposed and all. Kissing. ALL AROUND SAD!!!!

Teen, 14 years old Written byFILMCRITIC500 January 21, 2013

graphic depiction of true event has disaster sequences and gore

this violent, sad, and emotionally draining true story of a family tprn apart by the 2004 tsunami has very intense scenes that make it a better fit for older teens. this harrowing tale of survival and loss depicts the tsunami in probably the most realistic and scary way possible. people are swept around, buildings and other objects get destroyed, and the main characters get tossed sround underneath. also, the film contains a load of blood, with graphic injuries including cuts, slashes, gashes, hole, bruises, and even a flap of skin flayed off. there is brief female nudity. but the biggest thing is the theme of family, protection, and love.

Teen, 14 years old Written byConor Coyle January 12, 2013

Brilliant!!!!!!!!

Saw it in the cinema today (12/1/13) and I loved it. The tsunami was an intense scene. Maria's breasts are only briefly seen twice. The violence is the serious injures and the tsunami attack. But there was a lot of other kids behind me and my family and they laughed at the tsunami. And I was like "what the hell are you laughing for, if that was you would you still laugh?" It's a must-see for ages 13 & up. And you will enjoy it!!!!!!

Teen, 14 years old Written byDouglas Mitchell October 9, 2018

A film that shows you God can do the impossible.

The Impossible” is based on the true story of a family who was able to come together against impossible odds after the 2004 tsunami. I was just recently allowed to watch “The Impossible,” a very powerful film in my opinion, but after viewing I checked Christian Answers to read other people’s thoughts on the film. And I saw that so many people where getting upset and giving the film an “Extremely Offensive” moral rating. Now, personally, I don’t think this film is offensive, and think that everyone, including the Christian Answers reviewer, missed the boat completely when morally reviewing this film. So here is my breakdown on the film. So one of the things that most people were upset about was the nudity, and yes this film does have some upper female nudity. But what people are missing is the context of the situation. Naomi Watts’ character just got hit by a freakin tsunami. And has got part of her leg hanging off, and then you guys want to get upset about one of her breasts showing! It’s naturalistic; it’s not supposed to be glamours, that’s what you people are missing. Now you do see her breasts one more time when she is having her shirt cut open for surgery, but it’s a blink and you’ll miss it sort of thing. There is also a shot of it from the side in the beginning of the film. But it is very brief and easy to miss. See all » Now for violence, this film has a lot of gruesome injuries, and that’s what makes this film so hard to watch. There are many people hit by the tsunami, but there is no blood. But the aftermath is where it gets bloody. A woman is impaled by a tree branch and has numerous wounds on her body. She is also seen with the whole back of her leg hanging off, this is perhaps the most graphic scene. Many people are seen with injuries and blood on them. And there are also numerous dead bodies wrapped up on the ground. Two women vomit hair and blood. This could be hard for squeamish people to watch. There is hardly any language besides a couple of uses of he*l and oh my god. There might have been a few more but nothing that bad. This is a film that I think everybody, including Christians, should see. Because it shows how God brought a family together against impossible odds.

Teen, 16 years old Written byMeg_Wool July 27, 2018

Heart wrenching but gory

This movie was absolutely devastating and depicted the survival story of the Belón family perfectly. Personally, I think all gore and nudity involved was necessary despite finding it incredibly hard to watch at some points. There was a moment in particular a main character vomits a lot of blood while her child is clearly distressed from the sight along with close up images of severe injuries throughout the movie. Overall a very hard hitting plot line which would be far too graphic for children under 13 and should be watched at viewers discretion for ages above.

Teen, 13 years old Written byScooch smartpants June 21, 2018

Great movie, it brought me to tears

This movie was very good, but i did find it difficult at times. There is some gore and blood at some points and in the movie. At one point you see a large gaping wound on the back of the mothers leg. There is also a bit of gore in the scenes in the hospital. I got very emotional while watching this movie. I like movies that make me cry, so that was ok with me. I think there were positive role models and good characters in this film. There were some good messages aswell. Overall i really enjoyed this movie and i would recomend it to 13 year olds and up.

Teen, 13 years old Written bylifeoneboard June 16, 2018

Amazing

After I saw this movie I couldn’t stop thinking about it for days. It was so powerful. It is very intense, definitely not for younger children. Injured and dead people are shown multiple times, including two women caughing up blood, a woman with a bloody gash in her side and leg, plenty of body bags. There is one scene where a young boy walks through a hospital and sees many injured people, including a woman who is screaming in pain with a broken and bloody leg, which is obviously broken, as you can see where it is turned to the side at her shin. There is a scene where a man has to drag an injured woman to safety, and she is screaming and crying in pain. If blood or dead bodies bother you, this is not a movie for you. A woman’s tank top strap breaks and exposes her breast, but she fixes it. We see her breasts again briefly as a doctor removes her shirt to bandage her wound. The swearing isn’t too bad. There are plenty of emotional scenes, including a young boy crying because he believes his mother is dead, a man sobbing when he called home, etc. I never cry during movies, but if you get emotional easily, you’ll definitely be in tears. Strong messages of a family’s love and how people will come together in tragedy. Definitely not a movie for younger kids, but I recommend it to everyone who feels that they will enjoy it.

Teen, 13 years old Written byGwen904 May 27, 2018

Intense and violent but riveting

Excellent film with excellent actors, especially Naomi Watts and Tom Holland. Very entertaining but there are many bloody and frightening moments, not for the squeamish. I totally recommend this movie!