Kid reviews for The Impossible

Very intense story of family's survival against the odds.

Teen, 13 years old Written byShen2 June 20, 2013

Sad but really great movie!

Such a good movie. However, there are some VERY sad and disturbing parts of the movie, like one part where 2 people start coughing up some stringy black stuff which is not nice to see, and another part where there is a big hole in some-ones leg. It is also very sad when you see the body bags that the dead people were put in. I noticed that some of the bags were extremely small, which choked me up with tears. However, it does have some positive role models and messages, as it teaches you to hope, believe the best, and look to the future

Teen, 16 years old Written byBestPicture1996 January 12, 2013

Devastating and inspiring

Katrina seems like a rain storm compared to the hundreds of thousands who were swept away in the 2004 tsunami. I remember so clearly hearing the news on the day after Christmas, and just being overwhelmed with grief. This extremely intense film shows the horrors of that occurance, but also the power of the human spirit. I'm so joyful Watts got an Oscar nomination; the agony written on her face throughout "The Impossible" is something only a vet like her could achieve. It's not even a tearjerker so much as just...horrifying. I can't recommend seeing it twice, but a single viewing will blow you away.

Teen, 15 years old Written byDogemaster August 3, 2016

Great movie, Very powerful, gory and violent

This was an amazing movie. Positive role models throughout the movie. The reason I gave it a 15 year old rating is because of the gore. On a couple parts, it gets very gory. As the mother is flowing through the water, a branch sticks into her leg and blood colors the water. The young boy is intensely thrown around in a big wave. These scenes weren't too bad. A few minutes later though, the mother is walking and the son notices that the back of her leg is a huge gaping bloody hole with a tree in it. It was very gory. The only other very gory part is when they are in the hospital. The son tries to give another woman a tangerine, and she begins to puke up blood. Then his mother begins to do the same. The scene is intense and very sickening. After that, there isn't much gore. The movie was very violent but very good. My mature little sister (12) had to leave the room for the first half of the movie. I watched it through. The only other thing that was a little sketchy was when the mom notices she has a stick in her leg, her breast also shows for a quick second. There was barely any language. I highly recommend this movie to teens.

Kid, 11 years old March 2, 2015

The Impossible

The Impossible is a well made film but has some very disturbing scenes in the aftermath of disaster we see dead body's and horrific injuries including characters getting hit by bricks when trapped underwater and realistic injurys that are quite graphic however it's got a good educational value and is well acted and a great movie for teens.

Teen, 13 years old Written byTheReview January 28, 2013

amazing 2004 tsunami dramatization has an overload of emotions

i saw this movie today and the first thing id like to say is it is VERY bloody. also, for all you wondering, the movie actually doesn't stray very far from the true story. this movie is filled with glimpses of dead bodies, terrible wounds and people emotionally and physically dying. it is filled with terror and sadness, but has positive role models of the boy always watching over his mother. ill keep this review short so i dont spoil the movie for you, but all in all this is a very intense emotion filled movie and its really based on the child on whether they can handle it.

Teen, 17 years old Written bysmithsasaiodjsalf February 25, 2017

Distrubing

Watched it with my family... a 13 year old, 17 and parents. Often had to fast forward as gory content. Was not worth the watch. Showed multiple scenes were covered in blood and in pain. Overall disturbing content.

Teen, 13 years old Written byMimefaceuser20 January 27, 2017

Deserves to be rated PG-13

This definitely deserves to be rated how it is. It is sad, bloody, and there is a brief moment of partial nudity( they didn't have to have it ) when the mother's bloody breast is shown.

Teen, 13 years old Written byRobby Berger April 18, 2014

Know your kid before you watch this with them

This is a great movie about survival against the odds. When a tsunami hits the beach resort where the family is staying, The whole area is obliterated and each family member looks for another. Although it is a touching story of a mother's desire to keep her kids safe, there is a lot of blood from objects in the water and a scene where the mom is trying to save her son and gets her leg caught on an object in the water. After that, there is a large flap of skin (about 6 inches long) missing from her leg. Another part is when her shirt partially comes off and exposes her trunk.

Teen, 14 years old Written bynataliechun July 5, 2013

Violent vs. Inspirational

This movie was a gut-wrenching tale of a terrible tsunami and a heart-breaking story of a loving family. It brought me to tears every minute but kept me on my toes. I am 14 years old (and quite mature for my age) but I had difficulty watching this without biting my lip or covering my eyes. Violence was definitely an issue. During the tsunami, the mother received an atrocious wound in which her skin was detached from her body. The mother is dragged across the ground, aggravating her wound and causing her to scream in pain. That particular scene made me very tense and stressed. However, the story showed the importance of family and was a truly inspirational movie about survival.

Teen, 15 years old Written bybiovox14 November 14, 2016

Great movie if it hadn't been for nudity.

Ok so I love Ewan McGregor and most of his movies, and this one doesn't let down, but they just had to make sure they got that brief, pointless nudity in there. It has no standing with the movie, and was a pointless scene. The rest was fine with the exception of some heavy emotional themes. Great movie that I advise you watch:)
Kid, 11 years old August 31, 2014

The Impossible

This movie is a great and gripping true story of the horrific events of the Asian tnsunami. This movie is pushing the boundaries for a 12 rating by the bbfc, it should be a weak 15 because the injuries are pretty gory and realistic, people are drowned or crushed by the debris.It is very bloody. In once scene, people cough up seaweed covered in dark red blood. There is not much bad language in this film but it is violent, this movie is unsuitable for anyone below the age of 13.

Kid, 12 years old May 28, 2017

Very Edgy for PG-13

This movie is very bloody for a PG 13. Maria is covered in blood throughout the whole movie and one close-up scene is gory. Everyone is bruised and battered. There is nudity but asexual, as CSM says. There's mild language too. However, the movie is brilliant. Its a maracle how the family survived, especially Maria.

Kid, 12 years old August 16, 2013

Depressing

The acting was phenominal in it but it was DEPRESSING. Swearing like h*** and d*** nothing very bad. VERY gory and disgusting. Blood pucking skin loss was actully painful to watch. Though the son and mom stay together its positive messages I guess. The son points out his moms breast is exposed and all. Kissing. ALL AROUND SAD!!!!

Teen, 14 years old Written byFILMCRITIC500 January 21, 2013

graphic depiction of true event has disaster sequences and gore

this violent, sad, and emotionally draining true story of a family tprn apart by the 2004 tsunami has very intense scenes that make it a better fit for older teens. this harrowing tale of survival and loss depicts the tsunami in probably the most realistic and scary way possible. people are swept around, buildings and other objects get destroyed, and the main characters get tossed sround underneath. also, the film contains a load of blood, with graphic injuries including cuts, slashes, gashes, hole, bruises, and even a flap of skin flayed off. there is brief female nudity. but the biggest thing is the theme of family, protection, and love.

Teen, 14 years old Written byConor Coyle January 12, 2013

Brilliant!!!!!!!!

Saw it in the cinema today (12/1/13) and I loved it. The tsunami was an intense scene. Maria's breasts are only briefly seen twice. The violence is the serious injures and the tsunami attack. But there was a lot of other kids behind me and my family and they laughed at the tsunami. And I was like "what the hell are you laughing for, if that was you would you still laugh?" It's a must-see for ages 13 & up. And you will enjoy it!!!!!!

Teen, 16 years old Written byKey-iya January 25, 2019

Very good but only recommend for a mature teen/tween.

The movie is pretty good but there are some clips when I thought I was going to get sick. At one point fairly early on, the eldest son (Somewhere around 13-15 years old) notices that his mom has a huge part of her leg hanging off, showing her bone partly, she turns around and her bloody breast shows for a minute. Overall, I love this movie but I don't recommend it to anyone under 12-13.

Kid, 11 years old January 16, 2019

Nice but sad

It's really good I enjoyed it so much but it's just quite gory and sad but to parents watch it yourself first and decide if it's appropriate and if ur child is mature enough xx
Teen, 13 years old Written byAgirlwhojustlov... December 30, 2018

Touching and an eye opener, a little bit scary.

The movie was AMAZING! It makes you realize that this kind of stuff is real and tragic. I felt extremely bad for the mother, she had gotten the worst of it, there is that one scene that made me shake, and that was when the boy looked down and had saw the huge chunk of flesh on her leg. REALLY GROSS. I'm 13 and honestly I think I wasn't old enough to watch mainly because the wounds on the mother was horrid, and the plot had made me uncomfortable, I don't know it just makes you hope that it never happens to you, and it also is a tear jerker. Also it made me think about all the lives that were lost children, adults, teens, and elders it made me really sad. But besides that I LOVED IT. It is a story about hope, survival,strength, the helping hands of others, and the bonds of family.

Teen, 15 years old Written bychloeskead December 10, 2018

The Impossible

The impossible. An exhilarating movie based on a true story. Be Prepared to be on the edge of your seat the whole time! The movie is about a family of five who go on vacation to an exotic resort in Thailand, when all of the sudden, a tsunami hits. Two large waves hit and the family is torn apart. Lukas and his mother Maria struggle to survive, while fighting for their lives they still manage to save a little boy crying for help. This movie is very emotional and graphic but also realistic. There was never a point when I was bored. The theme of this movie is that things can happen in the blink of an eye and you never know when your life will suddenly change. I highly suggest watching this movie if you enjoy watching true story based movies. Have a box of tissues nearby, you will need it!

Teen, 15 years old Written byKatelyne December 10, 2018

The Impossible

Looking for a sad, thrilling, and full of emotion movie with lots of twists - the impossible is the movie for you. This movie is about a family that goes on a christmas vacation to Thailand in 2004, When the tsunami hit, it went from paradise to disaster in a matter of seconds - it will put you on the edge of your seat to find out what happens. The main story revolves around Maria and her eldest son, Lukas. They never give up and do all they can to survive. Although there are many messages behind this movie, the unexpected twists and turns that happen show that no matter life throws at you, you can survive anything. It is hard to imagine this movie was based on a true story. Grab your tissue because it is intense and sad at the same time. The movie was good and I would recommend watching it if you are 14 years and up because the movie is quite sensitive and may make you cry.