Parent reviews for The Invention of Lying

The Invention of Lying Poster Image

Funny premise, but shallow characters and no payoff.

The premise is interesting, but the main characters are very shallow. It was unbelievable that Gervais' character could fall in love with someone as despicable and shallow as Jennifer Garner's character, who continues to call him fat and ugly to his face all the way to the end. And that's not to mention the atheist message that overshadows the end of the movie. I was looking forward to this due to the lead actors, but was very disappointed in the end.

Brilliant

So glad we discovered this movie and watched it with our teenage kids. It led to a really great discussion about religion, which is both useful and often ridiculous. ;) If that's not possible for you to entertain, then certainly skip this one. We loved it and will watch it again.

A successful comedy, TO NOT BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY!!

The invention of lying is a highly underrated movie in my eye's. It's a comedy, that succeeds, and has a couple of heartfelt/emotional moments here and there. (If you haven't already) go and watch the movie. I'm not going to spoil it, but by reading the tagline, I'm sure you can get a sense of what the film is about. Now I know that this film has caused controversy between religious people and athiests, and many people believe that it's a movie for athiests. BUT IT'S NOT. I'm a Christian (I have been for a long time now), but I really enjoyed this movie. The key to liking this film, and also being religious, is to simply not take it too seriously. Ricky Gervais is an athiest, so a lot of the jokes in the movie is to mock or make fun of Christianity. However, it's a movie that's self-aware (not in that it breaks the fourth wall) but in that it knows it's a movie, and isn't meant to be seen as this 100% serious Alfred Hitchcock film. So if your religious and planning to watch the film, don't easily get annoyed because someone says "[email protected] the man in the sky!". And if your an athiest and planning to watch the film, don't be like "Yeah, go athiests. And screw you religious people". Because it's just a movie. Okay? Okay. I'm gonna give The invention of lying a 3.5/5. It's funny, sometimes sad, has a lot of inappropriate scenes and swearing, but overall a good movie.

Know The Truth

This movie is the greatest ironic story ever told and makes a mockery of ridiculous myths written in the bible but exposes the faults in all religions. I have no doubt that christians will find it unusually irritating as it explains how the most unbelievable lies can be indoctrinated into a majority of ignorant people.

Wastage of time

When I saw that the first lie was invented in a bank in this movie, on that moment I shift deleted this movie. Because, I was this concept was totally wrong. If there is money is money and there is a concept of buying and selling then definitely lie was invented a long long time ago. Concept wrong baby.

Avoid this movie...

If you are of any faith that believes in God, especially Christianity, skip this movie now. It is blatantly and tactlessly anti-religion. It was infuriating to watch; we had to turn it off. At one point, a man in a mob of people says "I say f*** the guy that lives in the sky!" That was the clincher.

An excellent movie, with a good message.

It is extremely unfortunate that this movie is slammed so much by conservative Christians. This movie, at its core, is about the silliness of the whole concept of religion. I feel sorry for all of you people who feel offended by references to Moses, and the " f---k the man in the sky" line, and Gervais' resemblance to Jesus near the end of the movie, but all this is how it went down. The fact is that this is how Christianity was founded. I'm not going to get into any detail about this since, after all, i'm reviewing the movie and not your capacity to understand my reasoning. The movie was a very funny movie with many witty and entertaining jokes. In fact, many of the jokes designed with the intent of religious controversy were the funniest in the movie. Overall, if your child is mature, and secure with his or her religion, and you are not a parent who feels it is your responsibly to make your children practice your religion, then it should be perfectly fine for them to watch.

Sacreligious!

I was so offended by the sacreligious message in this movie. God (referred to in the movie as the "Man in the Sky" was called horrible names. The message was that all of the religious things that we hear about the afterlife were manmade lies and that there is really no life after death. I was als ashamed of Jennifer Garner for some of the content that she took part in as I have been a fan of hers. Do NOT see this movie.

I'd wait until at least age 12, probably 13 even....

I loved this movie...unfortunately due to the language and frank sexual jokes, I won't show it to my kids. Of course it's that stuff that makes it so FUNNY...but once again, not for little kids. Too bad too, because I'd love to show it to them, but due to the content I stated above I just can't.