Parent and Kid Reviews on

The Invisible Man Poster Image
Our Review

Based on 18 parent reviews

Sort by:

Violent film that is superbly acted

A strong, violent and powerful film that centers Moss' experience as opposed to the Invisible Man. She sells this film, you identify with her and are on pins and needles as she tries to traverse this world where she is being kept a prisoner in public. The trappings of patriarchy are portrayed loudly and with a lot of panache in this thriller. The film feels like being on a knife's edge and waiting to see just how much will you be cut and how easy will you be able to walk away unscathed?

Not that scary

More of a thriller then a horror.

Great thrill ride

reboot with modern twists. I liked the story line, I liked the actor and actress and it had a good resolution. Some gore and violence, of course, but it is a horror flick. You need to expect this, of course.

The invisible man 2020

It was an was amazing horror the only thing not for 12 year olds is the language and violence apart from that brilliant 5 stars.

Very good but violent and bloody at points

Overall the movie is really good I think and I think it's best for 12+ because if your child is mature enough and understands abuse and suicide this is a great movie for them. Yes it is violent and there is a lot of blood at some scenes. There are a few scenes where people are beat, shot, and having their throats slit. There is one brief picture of the aftermath of a suicide and one character tries to kill themselves but it's not that intense. There is also some profanity but overall great movie.

Shocking horror film has graphic images, language.

The Invisible Man is a shocking and stunning horror film about a woman trying to escape her abusive boyfriend, who is a pioneer in the field of optics. Upon escaping she realizes he may not be gone. VIOLENCE: A woman and a man have there throats slit, showing blood splatter, spray and open wounds. Multiple law enforcement and security units are killed towards the end. First, a man is thrown against a wall and tased in the throat, then the killer goes outside beating and murdering security units, one of them shot in the leg and beaten, and another shot in the back along with tossed around. Very bloody scene. A man is thrown on the ground and brutally smashed in the face by the invisible man. Blood splatters on the wall and floor. He survives. LANGUAGE: Usage of F*ck, Sh*t, Motherf*cker is spread out through the film. OVERALL: 12+

Horror reboot with mild scares and frustrating plot is suitable for teens.

This reboot of the classic horror film The Invisible Man is situated within a domestic abuse context which may be too mature for children but can help spark discussion with teenagers about healthy relationships. With that said, there are no sex scenes or sexual references in the film. There is only a shot of the main character Cecilia sleeping in bed with her boyfriend at the very beginning. Swearing is minimal but strong, including a few F-bombs and "sh*t," usually expressed out of frustration or fear. The movie itself is quite spooky, but entirely appropriate for teens. The violence consists mostly of gunshots and stabbing, blood spurting and dripping, bruised and bloodied bodies, and lengthy physical altercations with the invisible man who grabs, throws, chokes, and drags people, as well as pulls Cecilia’s hair at one point. Cecilia’s sister gets her throat slashed by the invisible man and Cecilia is framed for it. Police officers are brutally killed by the invisible man in one of the hospital sequences, including an officer getting his knee snapped (this moment was particularly disturbing). There is also a scene with a needle injection that is brief but may cause discomfort for some. There is a teenage character who is in peril which some may find upsetting or shocking (the invisible man physically attacks and beats her). There is a lot of dread and suspense built up with extended periods of silence, heavy panting, doors creaking open, and camera shots which pan ominously from one room to another. The atmosphere was well crafted for sure, but nothing too intense or scary. The actual scares are mild. There are some jump scares, but only one or two are effective. There is a scene where Cecilia drops a bucket of paint down from the attic, revealing the form of her invisible boyfriend. This scene was the scariest in my opinion, but if you've watched the trailer you know what to expect. The acting was solid for a horror flick. I did not like the relationship dynamics between Cecilia and her sister, nor did I care much for Cecilia’s odd friendship with James and his daughter. These relationships were underdeveloped and unsatisfying. The movie was also very long and could have been cut down a lot. The last half hour was absolutely ridiculous, with the plot devolving into a humorous and strange cat-and-mouse chase. I did not appreciate the plot twist which rendered the movie confusing either (I will not spoil it). I would still recommend seeing the film as it presents a unique horror concept, although I think if the plot were simplified it would be better. OK for teens 13+.

Solid horror thriller

This is a fun, intense, not very scary movie. Violence 6/10. Two characters have their throats slit, camera lingers on them bleeding, holding their necks. A man is brutally beaten, shot in the leg, people’s necks are snapped. A husband is said to have been very abusive. Language 6/10. Some strong language including f—k.