Parent reviews for The Island

The Island Poster Image

Shocking, violent and disturbing

I had to stop watching this with my 13 year old as we both found it disturbing. I watched the rest alone. It’s sad and worrying that people watch this type of disturbing violent movie with kids and think that’s ok. Hi

Good but violet

There are definitely some scenes that will terrify squeamish people, one being a scene where a clone has his liver removed in full graphic detail, I walked out of the room on that one, and there are definitely violet chase scenes. 100% for older teens and not for kids at all.

Has Everything!

I wouldn't classify this movie as Family movie but I would definitely recommend it to any family. Action-packed, thought provoking, great visuals, very realistic, must see!

The island

Great movie. I watched it with my 13, and two 10 year olds. There are some disturbing parts. It made my 10 year old cry. But they really, really liked it.

I actually liked it for what it was.

I want to see this movie again to see how it holds up, but I think this was a fairly tolerable movie from Michael Bay (though I really didn't like the cinematography). The story was interesting, the protagonists were likable (but Johansson is too sexualized at times), and the action was entertaining, despite some iffy effects. But it probably should only be for older teens and up. There is some rough violence (including shootings, explosions, and a non-graphic stabbing to the throat), some occasional foul language (including an f-word) and sexual references and images (especially towards women), and a very suggestive scene between the two leads where they make out (there's some partial nudity). 7.0/10

I Like it I really really LIke It

Makes You Think

There's alot not to like about this movie; I recommend it because, in the end, it provides a strong message about using people for replacement "parts" and the dignity of people. Topical for cloning, fetal stem cell research.

Beware of Certain Scene, if you have kids under 10

I really like this movie, and so do both my children, ages 6 and 9. I have seen it twice, and do not recall at ALL, seeing "commercialism" or advertising. Guess it's there, but I was too busy watching the actors to notice. Now to the part I warned you about: Just after the man and woman escape their city, in their (only) friend's livingroom, he mentions in a matter-of-fact-way, that there is no santa clause. I had my kids with me, and I about DIED when he said that. I didn't say a word, hoping they didn't think too much of it.

Exciting thinker

I was really impressed with this movie. I previously had no idea what it was about but it really intrigued me and kept me thinking for a long time after. The whole issue of cloning is real and relavant and sometimes scary. This explores one possibility and is entertaining at the same time. The acting was great, violent but not excessive.