Parent reviews for The Karate Kid (2010)

Remake has new stars, new country, but same winning spirit.

Parent of a 11 year old Written byFanner50 June 12, 2010

12+ to me.

Too violent for 9yo. I rate as more appropriate for 12 to 13+. There is an element of sadism in the violence between the children. It seems odd to watch children fighting, anyway. My kid is 11 and takes karate, so I am okay with martial arts. There is something dark about this movie. The fighting isn't sparring, it is brutal. The mom figure is well-meaning, but essentially clueless while she watches her son get the tar beat out of him. Not a role-model to follow. This borders on PG-13. On the up side, Jackie Chan give the performance of his career. The subtle product placement here is the country of China, which is portrayed as a big village and a dramatic landscape tourist destination.

Parent Written byjhartsock81 April 12, 2011
"new" Karate kid spits out a curse. Was not needed and takes away from a good family film. Over all almost as good as the first. Almost...

Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byblissful June 14, 2010

Good for our mature 5 yr old boy; Perfect for our 8 yr old boy

Our 8 year old boy is taking Kid's Karate and our 5 and a half year old boy is taking Lil' Dragons Karate. Yes, this movie had some violence in it, but you have to expect that when the movie is about a young boy learning to defend himself from bullies. The important thing is that violence was not glorified, and the consistent message was that the kids being taught "no mercy" had a bad teacher. There's one line where Dre (the main character) tells his mom he is going to learn Kung Fu, and she says, "I don't want you fighting" and he replies, "Mom, Kung Fu is not about fighting. It's about learning to make peace with your enemies." The movie has a very clear message that martial arts are about respect, honor, defense ONLY WHEN NECESSARY, and making peace with your enemies. There is nothing gratuitous about the violence in this movie. It's certainly not for all kids, but we felt very comfortable with our 5 year old boy seeing it, because he is that rare 5 year old who understands the subtlety of when it is appropriate to use martial arts and when it's not. I think for some 5 year olds it would be iffy. The boy says, "Kick @$$" but he is scolded for it when he says it, so it's not too bad. Our kids knew they'd better not repeat it. Overall, we were VERY pleased with the message of this movie: Focus, respect, honor, and a kid slowly becoming aware that the world doesn't revolve around him and learning empathy for others. This was very well done. Our kids loved it, and we loved it!

Parent of a 4 and 7 year old Written byJeannieDeibis June 16, 2010
Finally an adult (Mr. Han - Jackie Chan) tells a kid that bad language is not appropriate (too much language in PG movies, very irritating) and to help out parents (even if it's focus is on Dre's coat not being hung up)...loved their friendship! My 7 year old daughter wants to take kung fu lessons now, which I just might let her do, thanks to the great scenes of how kung fu 'calms, allows focus', NOT the violence some use it for.

Parent of a 10 year old Written bymrshadowman June 12, 2010
Horrible. Should be called "waste my time" Kid!

Parent Written byalovell July 15, 2010
This movie generated a lot of audience participation, and they do a good job of creating "bad guys" and developing "good guys"; however, there is a lot of fighting, and bullying.

Parent of a 9, 12, and 15 year old Written byKaren S April 26, 2017

Good, but too much violence and romance given the age of the characters

I enjoyed this movie, but found the fight scenes to be a little brutal given that the actors clearly look like children. Jaden Smith and the two Chinese actors all look about 11 0r 12 years old - and Jaden and the girl have a particularly sweet, almost fragile quality to their faces. It made me cringe seeing an actor that age thrown on his back on the pavement, writhe in pain, or cry out even when the karate instructor pushes him roughly into a deeper split. It also made me cringe seeing children kiss, even though the romance was very sweet and mild.... it was just wrong to me given the age of the actors. I loved the unusual fish-out-of-water element to the story, loved Jackie Chan, loved the scenes around the Great Wall, and loved the actors overall. Just didn't like them screaming in pain or kissing.
Adult Written bybeatlejuices November 18, 2011

These are just kids

Don't find two children falling in love convincing, romantic, or attractive. Smith hasn't even hit puberty, still scrawny.
Parent Written byInAnyEvent June 24, 2010

Perfect for tweens on up!

My kids loved this, as did we parents!

Adult Written byMesned June 20, 2010

Great Movie

The Movie Is One Of The Best Movies I Watched, It Has Some Action, Comedy, Drama And Romance Scene's. On My Opinion The Best Scene's Of The Movie Is When Jaden Smith (Dre) Was Training With Jackie Chan (Mr.Han) For The Tournament, And The Final Of The Tournament. A Must See

Parent of a 8 and 10 year old Written bymommyvox June 11, 2010
Lots of very intense, borderline disturbing fight scenes between the children. No bloodshed, though. I loved the messages of perseverance, self-discipline and loyalty. For Christian families who might have an issue with the Kung Fu spirituality, I simply told my son that when Mr. Han mentions "chi energy" our family looks at that as the Holy Spirit (just as we have chosen to recognize The Force from Star Wars).

Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written bytk42one March 20, 2013

Fights too fierce

I previewed this before showing to my 9 year old and glad I did. The fighting is intense at times and the actions of the boys is downright cruel in many cases. They didn't have to dial up the bullying so much to deliver what is a great message. Many boys will find themselves enjoying the fights without realizing they are supposed to be seeing how *not* to act. All that said, Jaden Smith was good and it was interesting having it set in China and displaying some of its culture.

Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written bytyshkyzo April 10, 2011

Parent of a 9 year old Written byCBeth January 14, 2011

the message is that might makes right

It is so sad to perpetuate the notions that bullies will thrive no matter where, that they suffer no consequences, and that children can get no real protection from adults. The only way to survive is to learn to fight better than them. It's all about strength and battle winning the day. Not the kind of message that I think is positive in any way.

Parent of a 18+ year old Written byeddie8108 July 5, 2010
i saw this one in theatres lots of fight scenes dre get hurt alot ithink kids 10 and up should be able to watch this film my sister who is 8 had to close her eyes and crouch in some of the scenes iffy for kids 8 and under

Parent Written bygarden gal June 19, 2010

Great for 8+, Violence needs to be discussed in advance

The violence...way too much...this movie is targeting youngsters...why so obvious? Why not more Hitchcock (know it happened and didn't see it) (Did we need to see the kid's leg broken?) There is an end scene where the mean boys abandon their violence driven teacher and honor Jackie Chan, the good teacher. Unfortunately this message is lost on the younger crowd since they don't have the life experience to grasp things like societal honor, subtle shame, and other more mature components. I would have felt better about all the violence if this statement were more dramatic so the younger kids would understand the mean approach was not the right one. I'm afraid in this movie the mean approach was presented as an "option" vs the wrong thing to do. Having said all of that, the movie was fantastic. I wish we had waited till my son was older to have watched it or I had watched it alone and had pre discussions on it with him.

Parent Written byKLHerrmann September 28, 2014
Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy October 19, 2012

Love it!

This was a funny movie! It was also really action-packed! SO MUCH ADVENTURE! IT WAS AWESOME!
Parent of a 4 year old Written bysue_scraps January 28, 2011

Parents use appropriate caution and it can be a learning opportunity

We watched this with our four-year-old son on pay-per-view, because my husband wanted to see it. Our son has been taking tae kwon do since he was two (for the discipline, exercise, self-confidence, male role model, etc.), and we thought he might like to see what older kids learn from their martial arts masters and how they compete. The class has been good for him and we wanted to encourage him to continue with the sport. Our son did like the martial arts part of the movie, and the main characters (Dre, his mom, and Mr. Han). The romance was totally over his head, so it was not a problem - it wasn't so obvious as to make him ask questions. He is also not too aware of racial or cultural conflict yet, so that didn't come up except to talk a little bit about why the bullies picked on Dre. The language used between the bullies and Dre, and the bullies' behavior in general, did bother us, especially because the length of the movie made it hard for younger ones to grasp that in the end, the bullies had consequences both from their bad choices and from following a bad role model (their kung fu master). But we were prepared for that because of the original movie, so we did talk to him about that a little bit as the movie went on, to make sure he realized which was the "good" side and the "bad" side. At only 4 years old, it might have been easy for him to think the bullies were being glorified, OR that using your martial arts skills to hurt others is okay. But with the proper supervision and guidance, and if you know your child and think you can address the issues, it was a good learning opportunity and chance to discuss values with your child. The right setting is also important - we wouldn't have taken him to a movie theater where it might have been more overwhelming or influential, and where we couldn't talk to him or pause the movie. We also reserved the right to turn it off if things went too far. There are different concerns at different ages, which is why I rated it "iffy", but I wanted parents to know what a parent of a very gentle, sweet preschooler thought. It can be an okay movie for some younger kids.

Adult Written byRobert F. November 16, 2017