Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for The Kid Who Would Be King

"Goonie" meets "LOTR" in fun but sometimes scary adventure.

Parent of a 8 and 10 year old Written byGina K. January 26, 2019

Good movie, too intense for younger kids

I took my 8 and 10 year old to this movie. My 8 year old ended up sitting on my lap due to how creepy Morgana was. It had intense scenes that I thought were out of a PG13 or even rated R Movie based on the graphic depicting Morgana as a demon with a spooky voice. I do not feel this movie is appropriate for younger children and would be quite terrifying. Both of my kids agreed this should be 10 +. My 8 year said it was "very scary and intense". However, it was a very good movie if you have older kids. The plot was interesting with lots of action. The end had a nice message about the kids being leaders in the world and holding values which I liked.

Parent of a 7 year old Written byMollinska January 26, 2019

Much scarier than I anticipated

Great messages, exciting, and suspenseful. But some of the special effects (especially Morgana’s) were terrifying for young children. A child behind us (age 6?) started bawling and begging her dad to leave (they did). My 7-year old had to sit on my lap, facing away from the movie screen. The music and sound effects were also very scary- almost like a rated R terror movie. My 8 and 10 year old liked it, but said the bad guys were “WAY” scarier than Voldemort.
Parent of a 11 year old Written byHojomom January 26, 2019

Much scarier than anticipated.

This was much scarier than I was expecting with a PG rating. My almost 10 year old was very scared and my 11 year was pretty scared too. The kids are chased each night by skeleton demons and Morgana ( the evil sister of King Arther) turns into a creepy demon dragon they have to fight. The morals and story are good but just too scary for a PG rating in my opinion.

Adult Written byRBM05 January 29, 2019

Rating too soft. Violent, sexual for young crowd

I went with my barely 9yr old son who was covering his OWN eyes because he was so frightened and then covered his own eyes again at the sight of Morgana (can't remember if that's her name) but she's the villin in the show and at a certain point she appears to be underground, tied up to the roots of the tree which are the same color as her skin - my son was shocked and said,"shess naked!" That's when we walked out. Technically she wasn't but if you don't want the almost naked image of a fully formed women floating around in your little kids mind. Don't bother going. Add to that the sheer terror of the music and violence. It's probably a good show for parents. Not kids. Shame on the ppl who rated this show.

Parent Written byMrsKhaje January 25, 2019

Fantastic!

The Kid Who Would Be King was a fantastic movie filled with virtuous lessons. Don't lie, no matter what. Do what's right. Stand up for others. Don't be a bully. Don't give up. All lessons that kids and adults need a constant reminder of. I particular loved how Alex's mom apologizes for lying to him because she felt she was protecting him by lying. Lesson learned: Parents make mistakes and they shouldn't lie to their kids. Not only does it not protect your kids, but it harms the parent child relationship by destroying the child's trust in that parent. It ends up hurting them! I found this movie to be absolutely fantastic! As with all magical quests, there is always a battle and there is violence. No more than say an Avenger movie.

Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written byShannon D. January 30, 2019

My girls (6 and 9) loved it.

I was hesitant to take my girls (9 and almost 7) to see this after reading the reviews, but I'm glad I did. They both declared that they loved it. The younger one held my hand during the scary scenes, but she was never truly frightened. If your kids are OK with the Harry Potter films, then they will probably be OK with this movie. It's a fun hero's quest with positive messages.

Adult Written byJoTechYt January 31, 2019

Not for kids, but for teens.

Morgana (who is the villian) is shown with roots and without clothes. You can see that the roots form to her body and they barely cover anything. Merlin is shown in the beginning without clothes but is barely covered up by the fog. One kid named Bedders uses magic to duplicate money in a push coin machine. They basically stole the money to buy armor with it. Nobody dies in the story, and no real true emotional connection between Characters. There was, however, a connection between the main characters mom, but that is about all I saw in the movie. There was no consequences for kids going to war with demons, and somehow everyone lives. This is what is called, "Everyone gets a trophy" mentality and no one really loses. Also there is a lot of swearing and uses of Gods name in vein. To conclude, story was ok, but lacked any depth it could have had.

Adult Written bySomeSJW January 28, 2019

It attempts to introduce precocious and offensive material to young children!

This motion picture adaptation of the children's classic "The Sword in the Stone" contributes to the modern totalitarian ideology. This form of government is practiced in countries such as North Korea and Syria. Young children should not be exposed to ideas such as dictatorships at such a young age. These forms of governments are known for harsh laws that contradict the basic human rights laid out in the Bill of Rights. We cannot let this new generation experience the horrors of these vile governments. By not taking your child to this motion picture, you protect the integrity of this modern age.

Parent of a 13 year old Written byell123 January 28, 2019

Family fun

This is an update of the Arthurian legend featuring a group of 12 to 14 year olds ho go on a quest and battle the wicked Morgana and her army of fiery knights. Thankfully free of any adult innuendo but has enough action, CGI and dialogue to keep grownups and teens interested. However the battles are violent in parts with some reasonably scary monsters and for that reason not suitable for under fives.

Adult Written byZooWeeMama January 27, 2019

Great movie - but know your child before viewing

We really liked this movie. My 9 year old LOVED this movie. He was concerned it might be too scary so we watched a few of the trailers together and he decided it looked like something he wanted to see. (We had to leave The House with a Clock in the Walls because he was terrified). He said The Kid who would be King was not even close to being as scary. That being said, there are some scary elements that would frighten younger children or those who are more sensitive to scary things. Overall the movie has great messages and fun characters. I’d classify it as an adventure movie (vs. scary). I think the PG rating is accurate - it’s just not for EVERY kid. I wouldn’t recommend under 9 years old.

Adult Written byCongostace January 25, 2019

Exciting, fun, and diverse - my kids loved it

Really exciting, terrific story, and good message. I'm sure we'll see it again.

Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byEzra H. February 3, 2019

Classic Hollywood view of the father

Hollywood has a horrible knack for casting the father either as a buffoon or absent. In "The Kid Who Would Be King" the father is an absent drunk. Classic Hollywood narrative which brings down an otherwise pretty good movie.
Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byMamaRo January 25, 2019

Just like the classic 80s kid-adventure flicks

This was a lot of fun for the adults and the kids enjoyed it too. Just like they said: Goonies meets LOTR + Time Bandits, Legend... you get the picture. Some corny elements but that felt just right in this flick.

Parent of a 9 year old Written byAnthony C. February 3, 2019

Exciting and Funny, but not for younger kids

This movie is very exciting but the demons are quite scary. Morgana is also very terrifying for younger kids. Merlin is naked which is funny and a bit inappropriate. As far as sword fighting is concerned, that would not be good for younger kids. Overall this film is absolutely amazing.- written by C. aged 9.
Parent Written byrcontreras February 1, 2019

Honor, Teamwork and Selflessness

When I was young, a lot of movies and cartoons had a message of goodness amidst the evil. You had Optimus Prime, Duke (GI Joe), Luke Skywalker, etc.; and they all had examples of how to be. How to treat others and when the time came, to sacrifice even when circumstances seemed hard. This movie brought me back to those days. The days when being good meant something and not just expecting something in return. Prepare your little ones with the old stories or at least who the characters are before you see it. Example: Arthur Pendragon, Lancelot, Merlin, Excalibur, Lady of the Lake etc.
Adult Written byzbo303 January 30, 2019

Exciting family movie

My two boys (ages 11, 9) really enjoyed the movie. The scariness factor was on pace with most animated Disney movies from the 90's (i.e. Aladdin, Hercules, etc.)... I am amazed that other reviews reported kids crying and getting upset. I guess some kids are a bit sensitive. My boys liked the exciting battle scenes and general theme of the movie. As an adult, it was an entertaining show. Had some influences of Harry Potter and the LOTR movies. I would recommend to all.

Adult Written byHeadRush1987 February 3, 2019

Awesome Movie!

I liked the movie. I saw it with my friend. Just the language though

Adult Written byPLkmom January 29, 2019

A mix of GOT & Goonies but for kids

Brought my 7 & 4 year olds and they loved it. It was a little scary sometimes for my eldest (over the 4 yr olds head), but the creepy parts don’t last too long and the action picks up. There is violence. But the messages of this movie are so strong and such great lessons for kids: tell the truth, stick up for others, make your enemies your friends, be loyal. We really loved it!

Parent Written byDan G. January 27, 2019

Great movie for families without very young children

I took my family (myself, wife, and 14 year old daughter) to this movie and we all thoroughly enjoyed it. It was captivating from the start and it held my attention until about the last 5-10 minutes of the climax fight scene (the movie is a full 2 hours long). The movie is free of any bad language except for a few irreverent uses of God's name. There are no sexual situations, although the chief villain (Morgana) is shown a few times in a very form fitting 'root' outfit. No skin is shown (she is wearing a leotard thing that is covered in vines), but her natural female form (breasts, hips) is obvious, just as they would be in a one piece bathing suit. When Merlin arrives from the past as a high school aged boy, it is obvious that he made the trip without clothes and walks into a store to get some. There is no nudity in that scene, but the movie makes it clear he is naked before he gets clothes. Whenever someone has done, or is doing something bad, (primarily bullying) it is presented as a bad choice. A primary message in the movie is about the ability to overcome adversity by making allies out of your enemies. I would not recommend it for children who would be scared by the Dark Riders of the Lord of the Rings. The main bad guys of this movie are almost exactly like Ring Wraiths, and at one point many are literally sprouting out of the ground to come after the heroes and heroine. The main monster morphs into a pretty scary looking dragon like entity as well. Children differ on their proneness to being frightened, but I would estimate that most 10 year-olds will be able to handle the fear factor.

Parent of a 8 year old Written byKaterenda January 27, 2019

Super fun but scarier than expected.

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie as did my children, but I wished that the previews had showed more about the evil that the kids were fighting because we were not prepared for how scary it was. The scenes with Morgana and her demon army were quite frightening. My 8 year old was scared but ultimately enjoyed it. Could be borderline for sensitive kids that age. My 5 year old spent much of the movie burrowed on my lap (my mistake for not researching better, but I had just thought the movie looked fun in the previews). Fun movie with positive messages but just be careful with little ones! My 12 year old said it was one of the best movies she has ever seen ;)