Kid reviews for The King and I

The King and I Poster Image

A Nice, Enjoyable Musical. (Emphasis on "Musical")

(One Spoiler) This movie is okay. I had been looking forward to watching this movie, and was a little disappointed. I'd forgotten how much singing there was in musicals. It seemed like there was a three minute song every two minutes. The songs were not really the Sound of Music quality. They just weren’t that great even though I had “Getting to Know You” stuck in my head for two entire days after we watched it. I didn't like "Hello Young Lovers" "Puzzlement" or "Something Wonderful", and "We Kiss in a Shadow" was really stupid. I did like "Whistle a Happy Tune" "Getting to Know You" "Uncle Tom's Cabin" and "Shall we Dance". I’ve forgotten the rest of them. I liked the plot and characters. The plot was interesting and had lots of potential, but really underdeveloped. If I made this movie, I would remove all the songs except the good ones I listed above, put in twice as much plot, and build up Anna and the King's characters and their relationship. The start of the movie dragged, but near the end it started to get interesting. It was getting interesting, it was going pretty good...and then the King dies. Wow. What a way to kill the story. Literally. At the heart of the movie, the King expires. Ceases to be. Kicks the bucket. I mean, what? I was just starting to enjoy the story, get engaged with the characters, hoping the movie would last longer, when the King dies. I almost cried. I wish he didn't die. I wanted the movie to keep heading the way it was going, for Anna and the King to get to know each other better, and just have more funny verbal sparring rounds. And what does he die from? Well, I'm not sure. One minute he's perfectly fine, and then him and Anna get into a fight. As King, it's his duty to whip disobedient servants, Anna tells him only barbarians whip servants, and if he does, he's a barbarian. The King stares at Anna a second, drops the whip and leaves. Anna doesn't see him presumably for a couple of weeks, and then she's told the King is dying. She goes to see him, and they reconcile about the fight, the King tells Anna she's great, Anna tells him he's great, and he dies. So what did he die from? A broken heart? A smudged reputation? He just can’t bear that Anna’s upset with him? The King’s death scene is not too bad. His eyes close and his hand goes kind of limp and then Anna gasps. You don't have to say he's dead. You could just tell your kids he fell asleep and Anna's worried or something. Don't get me wrong, this IS a good movie, it's just not developing the plot enough. And compared to some of the stuff that's out there, it’s great. Common Sense Media was mistaken in their review. The King doesn't have HUNDREDS of children, just eighty -something, and even if he has dozens of wives, you only see about twelve of them. I thought the play of Uncle Tom's Cabin was neat. Anna and the King were good characters, thy just weren't as developed as they could have been. So, watch this movie. You'll probably enjoy at least the last part.

this movie is as good as marry poppins

i think this because the music is great, the humor is spot on. but the best part is the king. i know people are always dissing this movie movie because he is a sexist. but just think of the time period its the mid 1700's america isn't even a country yet and in many Asian country's it was thought woman were lesser, now we know women have just as many capability's if not more than men but he was raised in that culture and in fact the whole movie is about the king learning that as i said earlier woman are equal. so this is what i think about this amazing movie. I hope it helped

Educational, beautiful, and all-around AMAZING

We watched this for school, and I am AMAZED. The music is beautiful and catchy, the plotline is intriguing, and the characters are lovable and well-developed. I will say that there is some suspense, and also may be boring for kids under 10. Also, this is the only movie that has EVER made me cry. At the end, Mom looked at me and was like "Wait, are you crying?" and I was like "No...maybe...yes..." Anyway, grab a box of tissues and dive into this amazing musical! Shall we dance?

The King and I

I think this film is one of the best classic musicals of the 50s. Filled with great songs like, Getting to Know You, Shall We Dance and I Whistle a Happy Tune. There is no violence whatsoever except for one part. This part is where a slave girl is about to be whipped and also there is one line in the film saying someone drowned. Overall this film is a great film for kids aged 9 and up to watch.

Why?

Any teenager should not watch this play! It is way too easy to misunderstand! Why did they bring this back not on Broadway? That wasn't a good decision! No one should watch this under 17, because of its incomprehensibility!

Good for everyone who likes singing!

One of the best musicals Ive ever seen!

Great Movie For All Ages

This movie is very good for everyone! Children that are used to watching family guy will find that this is much more amusing! One of my favorite movies of all time!