Parent reviews for The King's Speech

Superb drama about overcoming fears is fine for teens.

Parent of a 15 year old Written byTsion January 29, 2011

R Rated??? Hardly. More like a strong PG.

THE KING'S SPEECH is the reason the movie ratings system is ineffective. Ladies and gentlemen, this is a movie that you WANT your kids to see. It is inspiring, uplifting, positive, intelligent, and offers nothing but the best role models for teens. It encourages audiences to be confident with themselves and follow their dreams. It tells audiences that hard work is necessary to achieve your goals, but no task is unachieveable if you are dilligent. It paints beautiful, healthy portraits of friendship, marriage, and parental figures. Then, however, we get to the R rating, which is, to be frank, really stupid. The main character curses twice in the film (each outburst lasts fifteen seconds or less, and that is all the language in the film) because he doesn't stammer when he curses. In these outbursts, the "f" word is used about ten times, in a rushed, random manner as well as "d**n", "h**l", "b****rd", and "t*t"s. The cursing is quick, inoffensive, and isn't sexual. It could hardly have come in a more harmless context. Aside from the language, there is nothing at all objectionable in the entire film. No violence, and no sex. Despite this, however, no one under 17 can get into the film alone. Please, parents, don't let the rating scare you away from this movie. If kids want to see it, let them. Even encourage them to! They will leave uplifted and inspired. So will you!

Adult Written byKylang January 30, 2012

Awesome movie but lacked pizazz

May contain spoiler Extra, Extra, Extra read all about it! Bertie’s got a big mouth and he’s going to shout it! The film The King’s Speech is about King George IV learning to overcome his embarrassing stammer. I enjoyed the story line of this movie. It is a true story, which makes it better because it is a real part of history. This movie had good acting and was well written but the movie lacked pizazz. This movie although was well written and had fabulous acting, I would not watch again. Actor Colin Firth portrayed the role of King George IV very well. Learning how to stammer as the King did would be very difficult. The colors of the movie, made the movie very dull for me. The colors of the wall often blended together with the actor’s wardrobes. The colors were very plain; they were often browns and grays. The film was set in the 1930’s, and to me the film looked like it was made in the 1930’s also. Meaning that the film looked very old and out of date. This movie was rated “R” for some language. Yes there are a few parts in which Bertie shouts out a few vulgar words, but I believe this does not need the “R” rating title. I believe this movie would benefit a younger age learning about an important part of history. Overall, this was a very meaningful movie. It had fantastic actors and a favorable plot. Adding some color and excitement to this movie would make it tremendous.

Parent of a 11 and 14 year old Written bypwi11iam2 February 24, 2011

Ignore the "R" rating

Why this movie is rated "R" is beyond me. This is a PG-13 movie that your 12 year old should be able to see. The "R" is probably due to couple of scenes where the "F" word is repeatedly spoken. But mind you it is not gratuituous cursing. It is used to demonstrate an improtnat point of the movie. The positive messages in this movie far outweigh the fould language concerns. One of the best message movies about perserverance in overcoming personal obstacles. Also a history lesson. Excellent film.

Parent of a 7, 11, and 13 year old Written bymom-o-3 February 3, 2011

Don't hesitate to take your family to see this one.

This was a wonderful movie my daughters and niece (ages 10, 11 and 13) enjoyed, too. This is the craziest R rating i have seen in my life - there is definitely something wrong with the rating system - i would have rated this PG and wouldn't hesitate to take my 7 yr old to see it. Not a bad message to be had, unlike most PG and PG-13 movies out there. What a shame. A sweet movie about overcoming challenges, beautifully acted and simple.

Parent of a 10 and 13 year old Written byAHH January 30, 2011

Don't miss this great message - bad language is an explainable tradeoff

This is a great movie with excellent messages for all of us. There is nothing other than two scenes with bad language that justify it being rated R. All in all it is a real shame in my opinion that an excellent, true, historical movie is rated R for this reason, when other terrible movies (like Little Fockers) are rated PG-13 even though the subject matter is outrageously inappropriate for children! I understand the rules require the "F-word" merits the R rating, but overall this is a terrible tradeoff.

Adult Written byLowe's man January 30, 2015

serves as an inspiration

The ascension of King George VI to the throne was unexpected. At this moment he felt that he needed to overcome not 1 but 2 problems- stuttering and the fear of speaking in public. He did an excellent job at his efforts. What makes this story all the more impressive is that he did it during a time of war. King George VI served as an inspiration to his people. In fact, he has inspired many from that day to this. I would highly recommend this movie for everyone, but especially from those who need to overcome a fear or other problem. The swearing, as has been noted, is very brief, is not directed at anyone, and is only done in anger. Moreover, the very little bit of swearing that occurs is not glamorized.
Parent Written byqtnn April 3, 2011

Violence free action

Don't let language or the ridiculous R rating deter you. Great drama & message for older teens and some mature tweens. Good way to introduce accessible personal drama and subtle humor. Led to hours of conversation about not only the message but evolution of monarchy.

Positive messages
Parent of a 6, 11, and 13 year old Written bymomof3terrifickids February 10, 2011

Beautiful movie! Take your kids and go see it!!!

An outstanding movie! Everyone should see this movie about overcoming your fears and struggles. Some highlights: positive role models, loving family, creative problem solving and determination to overcome intense obstacles. There is some cursing, but it is in context of the king's speech impediment. I will definitely take my boys (11 and 13) to see it.

Parent of a 9, 12, and 13 year old Written byGalVal January 17, 2011

Perfect for 12 yr olds and up

Great message. Great morals. It is rated R because of the cussing. I would rather my children watch this, than many PG13 shows that are too sexual, violent etc.

Adult Written bycritic sense November 5, 2012

Recommended Rating: All ages

This drama has no violent or sexual content to speak of, and there's depiction of casual drinking and smoking.

Drinking, drugs & smoking
Adult Written byShortswald March 2, 2012

A powerful story

A great film about a king trying to find his voice. The film is perfect with its incredible performances, strong script and story. Now the film is a drama/period movie that will only attract the audience that loves drama. I don't think kids will be disturbed by it, I think they will get bored by it because there is zero entertainment in it. The film has no sex, no violence, no action sequences, no hype at all. If you enjoy films with a story, and don't mind if its getting slow then you should watch this. Now for the language, there are some scenes in this movie that the protagonist speaks harsh words but just in two or 3 scenes in the movie, but with the exception of that it looks like a soft movie.

Adult Written byMovieAmma September 3, 2011

If you can take the cursing, take the film

This is movie has an inspiring story. There is a lot of cursing but it actually serves a purpose so if it doesn't bother you, then let your kids watch the movie.

Parent of a 5, 9, and 11 year old Written bykjhohman March 10, 2011

Good for tweens and teens

Could be a little slow for younger kids, and you'll have to give them some historical context, but this story about perserverence and hard work is excellent all around. One long scene of swearing for therapeutic purposes, but I found it easy to explain to the kids. After all, kids are going to HEAR bad words, they just need to know not to SAY them.
Parent Written byImjustsaying February 19, 2011

Good for older kids

Saw this with my almost 13 year old son. It was very good. He did seem a little bored here and there but said he enjoyed it. I really liked it. The time went by fast. I kind of expected it to be different but it was very good and Colin and Geoffrey were the best.

Parent of a 17 year old Written bycandymolly1 February 17, 2011
very moving story about a sensitive man who was thrown in at the deep end because of the selfishness of his brother who gave up the throne for the sake of a horrible woman. But, with the love of his wife (the late queen mother) overcame his stammer and went on to be a great king loved by a whole nation. great moving tale portrayed by three great actors.

Parent of a 11 year old Written bytackerma February 14, 2011

Common, kids 7+ already know the 'f' word.

This movie should not be rated R. I would show this to my 8 year old if he wasn't already so desensitized to violence, language and sexual content. Kids already know the f word, but think of how much more valuable the artistic content is in a film like this. Rounding their sensitivities about humanity.
Adult Written byMeerkat.dog.yo November 27, 2017

Charming drama may not appeal to young ones; lots strong language.

Parents need to know that while this wonderfully-made film has no violence or sex, this is a film to save for your teens. The lack of action and swordplay will likely bore your younger ones. The story follows King George VI as he ascends the throne. As the king of England, he public speaking is a regular for him. However, he has a severe speech impediment he must overcome by working with a speech therapist. As one might assume, there is not much action. Yet, if your teens are mature enough to appreciate this gem, they will be enthralled. The film also has quite a bit of strong language, earning itself an R rating. A certain oral exercise King George VI uses when speaking, is to pause and utter miscellaneous swear words to recompose himself. "F--k" is uttered over 15 times throughout the film, as well as "sh--t" just as many. Other words, though less plentiful, yet still spoken consist of "ass," bastard," "bugger," "prick," "balls," "willy," and "tits." Some kissing between the King and Queen. George VI's brother was originally ment to become King. He descened the throne immediately because he is having an affair with a divorced woman, something unsuitable for a king. This could spark a conversation with your kids. Was it the right thing to do to? There is brief mention of her "talents." Drinking of wine is seen. Overall, this is a wonderful a movie and it sends a great message; that is, to persevere and never give up even when the task in front of you seems impossible. If your teens are mature enough to truly appreciate this film, they will be glad they saw it.

Adult Written byGlee rockz June 4, 2017

Fine for kids

Good story of a person overcoming challenges. Anyone under 5 might get bored, but once you are old enough to appreciate it it is a fine film. No reason to be rated r. There is implications of sexual activity but most kids won't understand.

Adult Written byzeekattacklee July 1, 2015

Kings Speech review..

This was a very interesting film.. The film does have a couple of scenes where the F-word is muttered for him learning how to speak.. Otherwise, It isn't a film I would worry too much about, other than the language and what situations are going on.. Other than that, a great film for mature teenagers and adults..

Adult Written bykipwalker44 October 22, 2014

Excellent, teen-friendly drama is a must-see and doesn't qualify for an R-rating

"The King's Speech" is a wonderful movie that is great for teens to see. This movie is not deserving of an R-rating. The profanity only took up one brief scene, and was used in a therapeutic context. Teens should seen this movie instead of "The Hunger Games."