All parent member reviews for The King's Speech

Parent of a 15 year old Written byTsion January 29, 2011

R Rated??? Hardly. More like a strong PG.

THE KING'S SPEECH is the reason the movie ratings system is ineffective. Ladies and gentlemen, this is a movie that you WANT your kids to see. It is inspiring, uplifting, positive, intelligent, and offers nothing but the best role models for teens. It encourages audiences to be confident with themselves and follow their dreams. It tells audiences that hard work is necessary to achieve your goals, but no task is unachieveable if you are dilligent. It paints beautiful, healthy portraits of friendship, marriage, and parental figures. Then, however, we get to the R rating, which is, to be frank, really stupid. The main character curses twice in the film (each outburst lasts fifteen seconds or less, and that is all the language in the film) because he doesn't stammer when he curses. In these outbursts, the "f" word is used about ten times, in a rushed, random manner as well as "d**n", "h**l", "b****rd", and "t*t"s. The cursing is quick, inoffensive, and isn't sexual. It could hardly have come in a more harmless context. Aside from the language, there is nothing at all objectionable in the entire film. No violence, and no sex. Despite this, however, no one under 17 can get into the film alone. Please, parents, don't let the rating scare you away from this movie. If kids want to see it, let them. Even encourage them to! They will leave uplifted and inspired. So will you!
Parent of a 9, 12, and 13 year old Written byGalVal January 17, 2011

Perfect for 12 yr olds and up

Great message. Great morals. It is rated R because of the cussing. I would rather my children watch this, than many PG13 shows that are too sexual, violent etc.
Parent of a 11 and 14 year old Written bypwi11iam2 February 24, 2011

Ignore the "R" rating

Why this movie is rated "R" is beyond me. This is a PG-13 movie that your 12 year old should be able to see. The "R" is probably due to couple of scenes where the "F" word is repeatedly spoken. But mind you it is not gratuituous cursing. It is used to demonstrate an improtnat point of the movie. The positive messages in this movie far outweigh the fould language concerns. One of the best message movies about perserverance in overcoming personal obstacles. Also a history lesson. Excellent film.
Parent of a 17 year old Written bycandymolly1 February 17, 2011

very moving story about a sensitive man who was thrown in at the deep end because of the selfishness of his brother who gave up the throne for the sake of a horrible woman. But, with the love of his wife (the late queen mother) overcame his stammer and went on to be a great king loved by a whole nation. great moving tale portrayed by three great actors.
Parent of a 7, 11, and 13 year old Written bymom-o-3 February 3, 2011

Don't hesitate to take your family to see this one.

This was a wonderful movie my daughters and niece (ages 10, 11 and 13) enjoyed, too. This is the craziest R rating i have seen in my life - there is definitely something wrong with the rating system - i would have rated this PG and wouldn't hesitate to take my 7 yr old to see it. Not a bad message to be had, unlike most PG and PG-13 movies out there. What a shame. A sweet movie about overcoming challenges, beautifully acted and simple.
Parent of a 10 and 13 year old Written byAHH January 30, 2011

Don't miss this great message - bad language is an explainable tradeoff

This is a great movie with excellent messages for all of us. There is nothing other than two scenes with bad language that justify it being rated R. All in all it is a real shame in my opinion that an excellent, true, historical movie is rated R for this reason, when other terrible movies (like Little Fockers) are rated PG-13 even though the subject matter is outrageously inappropriate for children! I understand the rules require the "F-word" merits the R rating, but overall this is a terrible tradeoff.
Adult Written byShivs January 2, 2011

Excellent film is inspiring and a must-see

The King's Speech is a superb film which is full of positive messages and inspiring characters. I've seen in twice already and think the R rating is a shame considering the value of the film. The King's Speech has an amazing cast and is shot beautifully, all in all creating a wonderful movie experience.
Adult Written byLowe's man January 30, 2015

serves as an inspiration

The ascension of King George VI to the throne was unexpected. At this moment he felt that he needed to overcome not 1 but 2 problems- stuttering and the fear of speaking in public. He did an excellent job at his efforts. What makes this story all the more impressive is that he did it during a time of war. King George VI served as an inspiration to his people. In fact, he has inspired many from that day to this. I would highly recommend this movie for everyone, but especially from those who need to overcome a fear or other problem. The swearing, as has been noted, is very brief, is not directed at anyone, and is only done in anger. Moreover, the very little bit of swearing that occurs is not glamorized.
Adult Written bykipwalker44 October 22, 2014

Excellent, teen-friendly drama is a must-see and doesn't qualify for an R-rating

"The King's Speech" is a wonderful movie that is great for teens to see. This movie is not deserving of an R-rating. The profanity only took up one brief scene, and was used in a therapeutic context. Teens should seen this movie instead of "The Hunger Games."
Parent Written byJStorz July 1, 2014

I think it is a wonderful view of history! Let any 10 year old or older watch this. It is a wonderful film!
Adult Written bycritic sense November 5, 2012

Recommended Rating: All ages

This drama has no violent or sexual content to speak of, and there's depiction of casual drinking and smoking.
Parent Written bythenoah September 12, 2012

bad

one of the ten worst movies of all time and shouldnt be r rated could let a 2 year old watch, but it couldnt entertain them and shouldnt entertain anybody.
Adult Written byShortswald March 2, 2012

A powerful story

A great film about a king trying to find his voice. The film is perfect with its incredible performances, strong script and story. Now the film is a drama/period movie that will only attract the audience that loves drama. I don't think kids will be disturbed by it, I think they will get bored by it because there is zero entertainment in it. The film has no sex, no violence, no action sequences, no hype at all. If you enjoy films with a story, and don't mind if its getting slow then you should watch this. Now for the language, there are some scenes in this movie that the protagonist speaks harsh words but just in two or 3 scenes in the movie, but with the exception of that it looks like a soft movie.
Adult Written byKylang January 30, 2012

Awesome movie but lacked pizazz

May contain spoiler Extra, Extra, Extra read all about it! Bertie’s got a big mouth and he’s going to shout it! The film The King’s Speech is about King George IV learning to overcome his embarrassing stammer. I enjoyed the story line of this movie. It is a true story, which makes it better because it is a real part of history. This movie had good acting and was well written but the movie lacked pizazz. This movie although was well written and had fabulous acting, I would not watch again. Actor Colin Firth portrayed the role of King George IV very well. Learning how to stammer as the King did would be very difficult. The colors of the movie, made the movie very dull for me. The colors of the wall often blended together with the actor’s wardrobes. The colors were very plain; they were often browns and grays. The film was set in the 1930’s, and to me the film looked like it was made in the 1930’s also. Meaning that the film looked very old and out of date. This movie was rated “R” for some language. Yes there are a few parts in which Bertie shouts out a few vulgar words, but I believe this does not need the “R” rating title. I believe this movie would benefit a younger age learning about an important part of history. Overall, this was a very meaningful movie. It had fantastic actors and a favorable plot. Adding some color and excitement to this movie would make it tremendous.
Parent of a 8, 10, and 12 year old Written bycacd December 31, 2011

Great Movie

I saw this with my kids (12,10, and 8 years old) and it was pretty appropriate. There is a very funny scene where the main character drops the f-bomb numerous times, so if your kids are not used to that kind of language I would suggest talking to your kids before watching that scene, or skip over it. Other than that the movie is totally appropriate for kids 10 and up. Overall, the main messages are to face your fears with courage, even if it feels scary. The King's Speech is a very moving movie and I would reccomend it to families.
Parent Written byWhatTheyMissed September 30, 2011

Another overrated movie!

This movie should be rated PG-13 for strong language in a historical context!
Parent Written byMovieAmma September 3, 2011

If you can take the cursing, take the film

This is movie has an inspiring story. There is a lot of cursing but it actually serves a purpose so if it doesn't bother you, then let your kids watch the movie.
Adult Written byQ81 August 18, 2011

A great movie about perseverance and overcoming limitations.

Very strong, motivational, and historically accurate movie. There is some cussing, but ironically most are used in a therapeutic method as opposed anger or lewdness, and ironically crates one of the funniest moments in the movie. The movie can be a bit slow in some points, but does so to give an understanding of the speaking limitation that the duke is having to deal with. There are so many different positive elements displayed by the duke his wife and his therapist that I would get board typing them out. Suffice it to say, this movie is well worth watching for anyone who can tolerate the language.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byspamollyk May 7, 2011

The swearing is part of the story

There are a number of places where the main character swears repeatedly - and I mean repeatedly - in order to work on his speech impediment. It's really a crack up for an adult, and my opinion is that it's ok for an older kid to hear because the swearing is really part of the story, and hearing some swearing is part of life. They can be reminded that hearing it doesn't mean you should use it yourself.
Parent of a 11 year old Written bymrs conn May 6, 2011