All teen and kid member reviews for The King's Speech

Teen, 17 years old Written byJnic April 22, 2011

Fantastic movie - not worthy of R rating

Don't let the R rating scare you. This movie is fantastic. Apart from a few brief scenes including intense language (though it is used in the context of the story and not out of vulgarity), this movie is absolutely appropriate for young teens. Although there is a significant amount of profanity used, these scenes are vital to the film's message and are far less worse than what I personally hear every day in school. The messages and highlights in this movie far outweigh the questionable material. PG-13 would have been a more accurate rating. Absolutely a movie worth watching.
Teen, 14 years old Written byilovevintage April 30, 2011

Shouldn't Have Been Rated R

First off, I think that "The King's Speech" shouldn't be rated R. PG-13 would have been fine, but it's just because of some vulgar language (including the "F-Bomb") that it was given the rating of R. Aside from that, this movie is absolutely wonderful. All of the characters are so relatable and the acting is superb. I am 14 years old and I saw it, and I think most other kids around my age could see it too. Some of the intense stuff may go over younger kids' heads so I think the youngest age to see it is 13. Such a wonderful movie, and such a wonderful message!
Kid, 12 years old April 22, 2011

A great movie that isn't boring

I thought this movie was going to be so boring the moment the movie started. I was proved wrong! I loved this movie and Geoffrey Rush acted so well! The movie could be really boring for young kids, but kids nine and older will like it a bit more then 8-. Colin Firth (The Duke of York then to king) doesn't stutter as much when is angry. So, he talks clearly when he swears, and he says a good amount of swear words. Overall- It should be PG-13 Maybe even PG, Not R. He just swears throught the movie like bloody etc. mild language He just goes on a rampage saying f--- bas---- etc. I reccommend this movie -Coffeeguy
Kid, 11 years old March 16, 2011

Good Movie

I like this movie a lot. The only inappropriate part is the scene where he swears a lot. Good Movie
Kid, 12 years old December 27, 2014

R/15?? No way

The main reason it was R/15 was because of the 15 uses of strong languag (f*ck) some of the language was toned down for Pg-13/12 12/PG-13- Contains strong language in a speech thearpy context. 15 - Contains strong language
Teen, 15 years old Written byTheSuperman765 April 7, 2011

i rate this title ON for ages 11+

The good stuff * Messages: The film has a stirring message: Our biggest limitations are the voices in our head that remind us of all of our imperfections and failures. But they're only voices, and our will is stronger than our fears. The film has some classist overtones, but they’re placed within historical context. * Role models: The three main characters serve as strong role models: Lionel Logue, though somewhat untraditional in his approach to speech therapy (at least for the movie's time period), believes in himself so much that he’s able to help others do so, too. The queen is a lesson in being supportive without condescension, and King George VI is a man not to be denied his life because of his past. What to watch out for * Violence: A character struggles with his temper, which is fueled by frustration. * Sex: A king abdicates from the throne because of his involvement with a divorcee. There are references to her “talents” behind closed doors. * Language: Strong language includes “bas-ard,” “bloody,” "t-ts," "d--n," "a-s," "h--l," and “bugger.” And in one memorable scene, a man yells out a stream of words like “s--t” and “f--k.” * Consumerism: Not an issue. * Drinking, drugs, & smoking: Some social drinking (sherry, whisky, wine).
Kid, 12 years old March 15, 2011

If they know it, they can see it.

This movie is really good!! The reason I put 11 and up is if they klnow the word f--k. If they know that word, then they can see it. But, it is really good!!!!!! Don't not see it or your life will never be complete.
Teen, 13 years old Written bygbarger91 May 13, 2016

An Interesting Look at the King of England

This film wasn't flawless, but definitely enjoyable. I do not know how this got an R rating, even if it had a lot of swearing. I probably would have given it a PG-13 or even a strong PG. Geoffrey Rush stole the show here, and did an outstanding job at portraying Lionel Logue, the therapist who helped King George's speech. I liked this movie, but I did like some movies including The Social Network better, so I would've given that the Oscar for Best Picture.
Teen, 14 years old Written byThegamingPirate August 19, 2015

A good movie to watch

This movie is worth watching. It has good messages and good role models. The only thing that I can tell that made this movie get an R rating is the language. There are some f words, and s words but not that many. I think it would be okay for a 10 year old to watch this.
Teen, 14 years old Written byProjektor June 13, 2015

One of my favorites of all time. Gret story, great actors!

This movie have very intense atmosphere and some emotional moments.
Kid, 8 years old June 10, 2015

Boring, lame mature drama has no swearing at all but has some smoking.

My rating:PG for smoking.
Teen, 15 years old Written bycrazyaspie34 May 15, 2015

Really good history drama!

This is a great film. It teaches you about the war, as well as the situation in the royal family at the kings death. There is a scene about the complicated marriage of prince Edward and a socialite, that might not be good for youngsters but teens, definitely!
Kid, 9 years old April 27, 2014

Great Movie!

This movie is great. Being a stutterer myself, I found it very inspiring. This movie should be fine for Tweens, the main concern is swearing. Some social drinking, adult themes, (someone dies). And yeah, that's about it. Amazing movie! Very inspiring for someone who stutters. How good is it? The acting is really good and you can really feel what the characters are feeling. It won an oscar for best picture the year it came out.
Teen, 14 years old Written byyohibye123 March 13, 2014

The King speaks honor and language

Parents will really want their teens to see this! And they should!!! It is a great movie with amazing messengers about overcoming your fears and never quitting portrayed in sometimes moving and occasionally humorous ways. Comic relief is sometimes used to lighten the mood. Parents should be aware however that the King has a very bad temper and he sometimes looses it and curses. In one of these scenes he yells out about 15 s-words and 12 f-words all connected in one awkwardly long run on sentence. Another such scene (though very much less offensive) has him yell out 4 f-words. Logue says an f-word. There are 6 f words mouthed during his speech as cursing allows him to speak clearer. Outside of this scene he also uses "bloody" "bugger" "t-ts" "d--n" "hell" and a few others. Parents may also not like the theme of the King's brother having an affair (nothing is ever shown apart from a kiss). It is portrayed as bad though. A video of Hitler speaking is shown and produces a sense of fear because that is what they were feeling. The King smokes because his former speech therapist told him it helps but he is later told it is bad. This is a great pick for teens. Parents should exercise caution regarding the language. It is strong, but parents who are picky about language should REALLY consider making an exception for their teens even if you mute the swearing scene just tell them what transpires. It is crucial to the plot and manner that he overcomes his fears.
Teen, 16 years old Written byCommon1492 January 1, 2014

Kings Speech

Nothing all that bad not much to say superb movie well made should be PG-13
Kid, 10 years old August 22, 2013

Positive message in movie, but some swear words

This is a very good movie that has a positive message. There is nothing that is not appropriate in it to do with romance, consumerism or violence, but there is a scene of continued swear words (including the f word) and a few other occasional bad words. The only other thing is the occasional smoke but it is not major and the speech therapist says something like "it's bad for your lungs". It is also set in World War 2 and has a scene with Hitler giving a speech, but nothing that bad. I think if parents tell there kids that there are a few bad words, not to use them and ask (the parent) if there not sure if the word is bad or not, kids 11 and up should be fine.
Teen, 14 years old Written byGwenguin July 17, 2013

The amount of positive messages balances the swearing out.

This is probably my favorite movie ever, to be honest. It was amazing, i cannot even describe how amazing it was. It was very Inspirational. Most parents are probably worried about the swearing. Yes, he does say the F word many times in a row during a scene, but that scene is crucial to the movie, i think for understanding. It is okay, because i hate to break it to you, but once your kid is in about 4th grade they hear people around them swear all the time at school. None of the words said will be new to them. I saw this movie when i was 13 and was really upset that my mom was hesitant on letting me see it, as all the inspiration in this movie makes up for that swearing scene. I never swear, never want to, and this movie did not change that. I watched this with my friends. It isn't a matter of if it is appropriate, just if it will captivate your child's attention or not, and if they will actually enjoy it. I loved this movie, while my friends thought it was boring. Any kids under 8 you should probably not show this to them as they just wont understand what is happening at all. Any kids above 8 it is appropriate for, but they still might not understand the plot. I would say 8 is an appropriate age, but kids should be at least 10 to watch it because they will have a little more knowledge by then. :)
Teen, 14 years old Written byRGG270 December 26, 2012

A great movie for anyone who has the same problem as King George VI

Their is only one scene after King 6 can't stand up to his brother where he goes to his speech therapist and the speech therapist tells him another good way to help his stammering is by swearing, which he proceeds to do. other than that this film is uplifting about a man who finds himself and the courage to stand for his country and be a strong leader.
Kid, 11 years old November 29, 2012

NOT FOR KIDS UNDER 13, BUT MOVING FOR OLDER TEENS AND ADULTS!!!!

This Movie Is Spellbinding, and heartwarming. No Wonder it won best picture. But Parents, this movie is not for kids under 13, yet it does give a positive message about fighting your fears and confronting them. Includes strong language, including the following words: F, D, S, C, W, GD & B, along with a nude image, with a rough fight. My Rating - Rated PG-13 For Thematic Material Involving A Nude Image, Brief Strong Language, Drug/Alcohol Use, Sexual References & A Scene Including Coarse Violent Content
Teen, 17 years old Written byPrincessCharmed797 November 13, 2012