Parent reviews for The Kite Runner

The Kite Runner Poster Image

Very good but beware

This is an excellent film which treats some very difficult topics sensitively and without avoidance. However, the 12 rating is completely inappropriate. There is the suggestion of child rape by other, older children, a stoning to death of a woman and very disturbing themes including the buying of children from an Afghani orphanage. This child is later followed up and a scene follows in which he is forced to dance provocatively to music in front of several men. I have two 12 year old girls. One left the room halfway through, too disturbed to watch any more and I found myself shielding the other from several scenes. Definitely not for younger children!

Should be rated a 15.

Lulled by the 12 rating I made the huge mistake of not watching this before choosing it for a film night with my daughters aged 11 and 14. The 11 year old has seen plenty of 12 rated films before so I didn't think there would be anything she couldn't handle. The rape scene upset her so much that she ran from the room and hid under her bed sobbing. She has never done that in her life. I am actually quite angry with whoever decided this film merits a 12 rating and with whoever failed to mention any depiction of rape/sexual violence on the back of the DVD box. My kids no longer want to watch anything new that I suggest and choose the boring old favourites instead. I have given it 3 stars, but as we turned it off after the rape scene I've no idea if the rest of the film merits this rating.

Absolutely mis-rated. Definitely not PG13 material

While this movie has an "implied" rape scene- I would never allow any child under 18 to watch this movie. The scene is so emotionally and mentally disturbing that even I had a hard time dealing with it afterwards. It diluted any message of friendship and loyalty that it was trying to convey for me. I would just pick a different movie without all the unnecessary disturbing scenes for my child if I wanted him to learn about friendship and loyalty.

An Inexcusable Cash In Using Notoriety

A cynical cash in of a book that was written, cynically, to cash in on certain notoriety, by a man in a already excellently paid profession. Inappropriately rated as PG-13 in the US & just as inappropriately rated as 12A in the UK...The people responsible for this should either get their heads examined or stop taking bribes imo. Let's make one thing clear: The rape scene is just that. A Rape Scene. It does NOT classify as "implied" on any level. A bit of a look & the touch of a belt buckle is "implied rape" - this movie goes WELL beyond that (the director actually wanted it to be MORE graphic still). There is NOTHING worthy of learning from watching this movie that can't be learned from a less offensive and more balanced source. Do yourself a fav & don't garner this junk with your attention. If you want to discuss rape with your offspring then, by all means, do so...don't leave half the job to these bozos! Rape is a horrific thing and (though, thankfully, I've not experienced it first hand), it is my feeling, that in order to convey the level of horror it brings with it to the youth, depicting it visually is not the way to go. Imo, the info should be put across verbally & it should be left to the mind to process...the mind can imagine & fill in the horror of it infinitely better than any film. I, personally, find the existence of this movie to be an insult to any poor 12 year old who might have gone thru this type of terrible experience. An awful movie.

Not a Dry in the Theatre

By far the best movie I have seen in years. Story of courage, honor and redemption told by superlative acting.

Powerful film....

This movie was remarkable. While difficult to watch at times, it gave a searingly honest picture of friendship...including blinding loyalty, joy, betrayal and ultimately forgiveness and redemption. My two sons, 14 and 17, both thought the movie was 'very good' but haunting. Lots to discuss afterward. I would recommend it to a mature 14 year old and up with a parent watching as well. If unsure, what it yourself first and then decide. The subtitles can be difficult to see on a regular sized TV so be prepared to pause (why the 4 stars, otherwise 5) Excellent filmmaking.