Kid reviews for The Lady Vanishes

Hitchcock comedy thriller is tame old-school fun.

No reviews yetAdd your rating

Teen, 15 years old Written by_marvel_fan_ June 22, 2021

Great movie for fans of classic movies

I really enjoyed this movie! I’ve been watched old movies lately and so far this one has been my favorite. It was really entertaining and fun to watch. In my opinion, it’s okay for teens and tweens.

Violence: Characters are kidnapped and drugged. One scene contains people shooting at each other (guns are shown on screen) One character gets shot and he dies. Other characters get shot but survive. One man is shot in the hand and blood is shown on screen (the movie is black and white, so the blood is shown but it’s not red). A flower pot is thrown onto a characters head, and the entire movie she seems to have some kind of head injury. The whole plot is around someone who was kidnapped and might be murdered.

Sexy Stuff: Two characters fall in love and end up sharing a kiss. An affair between two people is briefly discussed. One girl is engaged to a man but ends up falling for a different man, and the affair is kind of romanticized.

Swearing: Someone mumbles the word“Ass”. Besides that, it’s just things like “heck” and “stupid”.

Drinking/Drugs: Several characters smoke throughout the film (this was before people knew smoking was bad) Many characters are seen drinking alcoholic drinks. One drink seems to be drugged. Scotch and brandy are used to revive people that have passed out.

Good role models/messages: Not many great role models. One woman is very kind, and that’s about it. There’s a lot of fighting and tense situations in which characters do things they normally wouldn’t do. There’s a female lead, but the movie is sexist (not blatantly though) Very few characters of color, none of them main characters. Characters are from all throughout europe though, and they speak many different languages.

Again, I really liked this movie and I think it’s okay for older kids if they’re interested in old movies.

Hope this review helps :)

Teen, 14 years old Written byTaco Talks Movies February 21, 2021

Tame classic

There is some shooting and very little blood and characters are shot. Since it’s black and white the blood is less noticeable.

Teen, 14 years old Written bymasternicocoolman July 10, 2014

Iffy and not that good either

This movie is very dissapointing for a hitchcock so if I were you I'd just go watch a different one. sexuality is not a big problem. A bit at the begining but nothing bad at all. Violence may be iffy. At the end there's a gun battle where many poeple are shot but only one is shown with blood. Shot in the hand. An old lady that the audience has grown to know (The lady that vanishes) runs into the forest during this battle and it looks like she may have been shot. (SPOILER ALERT) She turns up fine later. A fight takes place at one point (hand-to-hand combat) but no blood or deaths. For laugwidge is not bad at all. D**b is used ones during the gun fight and so is what the h*ll. Those are the worst and are only used once. I hope this review was helpful to you.;)
Teen, 16 years old Written byevolinag October 19, 2012

Classic crime thriller has some mild violence. 8+

"The Lady Vanishes" is a thriller by Alfred Hitchcock.
Being released in 1938, it was made before Hitchcock went to Hollywood.
It is a classic crime thriller from the earlier days of filmmaking.
It is about the passenger of a train, an old woman called Mrs. Froy, who suddenly disappears. It seems that only one other remembers her, a young woman named Iris. Now Iris tries to figure out what happened to Mrs. Froy.
Well, as simple as the story might sounds, the movie itself is very thrilling and quite entertaining.
After a few minutes, the viewers get interested in the story and start trying to figure out what happened themselves. Not many crime thrillers are successful in creating such a nail-biter athmosphere.
Like in Hitchcock's later movies, the movie starts calm, but once the story goes on, it can get really gripping.
For lovers of classic movies, "The Lady Vanishes" is an entertaining and fascinating crime thriller of the old days where you did not need action or edge to make a good movie.
(SPOILERS may follow:)
As for the age restriction:
Note that the movie was made in the 1930s and that everything is black & white:
There is one scene near the ending in which we see a gunfight. One character is hit and dies. There is absolutely no blood.
A character is hit onto the head (he collapses, but survives).
The movie is not any disturbing or gory.
(END OF SPOILERS)
Kids around 8 years surely can handle this movie, i've seen more intensity in Disney movies.

Teen, 15 years old Written bymoviefan115 March 12, 2012

one mf my favorite Hitchcocks

this is one of my favoirte Hicthcocks. it's so much fun, and kids and their families will enjoy this entertaining thriller that theaches them nothing's what is seems, and that true love conquers all. Nice job, Hitch. :)

Teen, 17 years old Written bydontwantascreenname May 30, 2011

unexpectedly good :)

i first watched this film as an ap english assignment and was sure i would hate it. however, i found that the characters iris and gilbert were easy to identify with because i felt the same confusion they did at miss froy's disappearance. the realism of the characters enhanced the believability of the movie and actually made it a good experience. nothing inappropriate--the girls in their slips are actually wearing more than most women today wear in public. the premise (attempted murder of a spy) could be a bit scary if watched late at night by a very young child, but overall was very conservative. watch for the biggest goof--before iris hits a man with a champagne bottle the second time, the actor cringes, knowing what's coming.

my ten-year-old brother loved it, and there was nothing i felt i needed to cover his ears (or eyes) for.