Parent reviews for The Lake House

Corny romance will bore kids.

Adult Written byChirantha W. June 14, 2017

Great Movie

Most people say they won't get the time paradox or that it's flawed but that really doesn't matter alot cause this is a love story and not Sci-Fi. It's also one of the only English love storues I've seen with absolutely no sex which was great. I was surprised to see little ratings on positive messages or role models cause Alex was a great role model like trying to be good to his father, helping out Kate, teaching people to do what you enjoy in life. Also he was very considerate about Kate by not building up their relationship in 2004 when he met her cause it would be not only hard but also confusing for her as she didn't love him yet. Kate's supervisor is also a good example showing concern and companionship to her subordinates as well as a kind doctor.
This also made me come to tears cause the twin flame love depicted here is one of the truest forms of love according to many cultures and religions (Easy and West) Over all this is a family movie that all can and should watch.

Adult Written byS. P. S. April 10, 2017

Terrible science fiction movie

If he didn't get hit by the bus, she wouldn't​be at the lake house in 2008.
Adult Written byBeckstar October 31, 2011

not for kids

A Fantastic film, but VERY confusing and hard to understand. It's very hard to follow. After seeing the film, I still didn't understand it. It made me cry so much though. It really touched me. I wouldn't say it has a good moral though. As she was able to change what time has done, in reality...you can't do that. I didn't find it violent, but I heard there was a seen that is apparently 'disturbing', that isn't the seen where he gets killed by a car. I did not see this other scene as I didn't see every part of it. I missed about half an hour of it or something. I don't think Kids would like it as it is very romantic and the confusing factor might be too much

Adult Written bysarahkay89 November 17, 2010

Sweet movie. Teens and Adults will enjoy it. : )

I really like this movie. It was well written, sweet, and made me cry at the end.
It had some language in it.
One negative element was a (subtle) message of how Kate was in love with Alex, but she felt she could never have him, so she tries getting over him by having an old boyfriend move in. A message of "casual sex". Though no scenes show inappropriate material, its a message of "you can sleep with someone you don't really love, it'll all work out in the end." Good teaching opportunity for parents of teens.

Parent of a 7 and 10-year-old Written bylightandlife November 20, 2009
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

It Grows On You...

It is a bit disjointed and takes a while to put the pieces together, but after you leave the theater, it grows on you. I took a 14 and 16 year old with me. They both loved it...well, the 14 year old girl did. The 16 year old boy had a bit of trouble figuring out which time they were in...it does flip back and forth a bit. Could have really done more with that. The cussing is minimal and mostly not by the main characters. No sex, which was great. It was good. I'll see it again when it comes out on video.
Adult Written bymisslizzie April 9, 2008

One of My Top Five!

I really loved this movie. The story was beautiful and for once didn't use sex to tell a story. Overall, it was a great movie.
Adult Written byChris McCorkle April 9, 2008

A romance for your mind.

I was a little iffy about seeing this movie until my girlfriend (19) swayed my opinion about it and took me to the theater (I paid!).

At first I thought this was going to be a too-serious, heart-wrenching movie about a long distance relationship- only it wasn't. It was almost the opposite.

There were no drugs, sex, or anything objectable in this movie in my opinion; the drinking was far less than any child would witness at a family get-together (assuming wine or any other alcoholic beverage is present.)

The reason I WOULD NOT recommend this to ages <13, or even <18 for that matter, is not because of objectionable content, but only because of the storyline. If I had 13 year old children, they most probably -wouldn't get it.- I have rated it PG-13.

The space-time concept in this film challenged my mind more than the romance challenged my heart, and as a result, I would even recommend this movie to guy friends of mine.

This is a simple love story with an incredible time twist that will keep you thinking and saying "what if?" hours after the ending credits.
Adult Written byjenncraw April 9, 2008

Great love story

This is a great story, and if you like Somewhere In Time with Jane Seymore and Christopher Reeve, you'll probably like this one better. It has some great twists, but sometimes they are predictable. Still, a great movie with no sex!
Adult Written bywubbo April 9, 2008

Surprisingly Tame

While this movie does drag a bit and will bore the younger set, my 11-YO daughter found the concept of "love across time" to be quite interesting. Of course this is as corny a movie as you might imagine, but it was nice to be able to watch a movie without having to worry about inappropriate behavior by adults.
Adult Written byaurora4am April 9, 2008

A refreshingly clean, mellow, pretty, 'think about it' movie

My daughters, almost 9 & 14, and I watched this. We all enjoyed it! It was sad and happy. I call it 'mellow' but not 'boring' (to us anyway). We thought this was refreshing and relaxing to view. This director of photography did a great job on this one. I must add that we really like both main actors. I appreciate a good story to follow w/o the junk that Hollywood assumes we like and is constantly feeding us.
Adult Written byVampireGirl April 9, 2008

A very nice movie about a very romantic relationship

With this movie i beleive that this kind of thing is not an issue: drugs violence etc. Trust me your kids have seen worse. The fact that "common sense" said that it would bore kids i believe is an unfair assumption. My 13 year old neice loved it, saying it was a very good movie and that she wanted to quote "see it again, like with all of [her] friends" this was a great movie
Adult Written bylilly45872 April 9, 2008