All parent member reviews for The Last of the Mohicans

Adult Written byTreyT January 11, 2011

Intense, and well it should be. Excellently moral, yet believable.

While this film was undeniably violent, it was not distastefully so in my opinion. War on the Colonial American frontier was a gentlemen's war in the European tradition, but it was a war for men and women of true character, strength, and grit. The morality of the good men and the treachery of the evil were clearly contrasted. The theme is plain: the right wins in the long run, but at a great cost. The frequent, but only occasionally graphic scenes of fighting and death of men and women on both sides serves to drive this message unforgettably. I personally found the suicide scene beautiful, but it may be grounds for a bit of discussion on the topic. Finally, there are in other reviews references to a man being burned at the stake. This is a terrible scene, but it is one of redemption, when one man sacrifices himself for another whom he has previously wronged. Again, the portrayal of the violence of the act lends the message immeasurably more force. The one kissing scene is rather long and highly-charged, but it, too, serves to advance the development of the characters without anything I thought gratuitous. It is about as intense as such a scene can get while the characters keep their eighteenth-century frontier clothing on, and might be a little passionate for a few viewers (I don't know your kid.), but, as I said, it's tasteful. Otherwise, the cinematography is generally excellent, Day-Lewis's character in particular stands out for his flawless acting (this is not to say the rest of the actors were lacking), and the plot is generally fairly believable. The thing as a whole is glorious, sad, and triumphant in a restrained and real way.
Parent of a 14 year old Written byTsion June 26, 2010

A Raw, Beautiful, Old-Fashioned Epic (Plus the Violence)

The bottom line about THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS is that you should watch it. Period. It is a high-spirited epic of adventure and romance in the tradition of LAWRENCE OF ARABIA and DANCES WITH WOLVES. Not only is it fun to watch, but it is very poignant and moving (plus, it has spectacular cinematography and gorgeous music). But the question you're asking right now is, is it okay for kids? The answer is no. The movie earns its R-rating for violence, and definately should not be shown to anyone under the age of 13 or 14. However, as far as R ratings go, this one is pretty tame. Violence pervades the movie, with three large battle sequences that feature many people's deaths via stabbing, bludgeoning, and shooting. There is an immeasurable body count, however, most of it is bloodless (and average for any PG-13 movie). The exceptions: in a quick shot, a man is scalped (you see his white skull for a moment, with no blood). A man has his jaw broken quickly with a rifle, and you momentarily see his bloody face. A man is stabbed in the back, and he throat is slit (barely offscreen). A woman voluntarily falls to her death from a cliff. A man is bloodily impaled with a rifle, and a man has his heart torn out (the tearing is offscreen, but he later see the out-of-body heart). There is also a passionate kiss, but no sex. No language. Characters are brave and self-sacrificing.
Parent of a 14 year old Written bySonja2 December 4, 2009

Perfect for thirteen or older

I personally love this movie, any think any teen 13 and up should be able to handle the violence in it. Although anyone that is younger I might recommend skipping in two places in the film.
Adult Written bycissykay April 9, 2008

For the fan of American history!

My 8 year old loves this movie, but my husband would fast forward through most of the intense fighting scenes. During the opening sequence the three characters are chasing a deer through the forest and Hawkeye shoots it. After killing the deer, they celebrate it's life and spirit, which for the true hunter, is what hunting is all about. The music is beautiful and I recommend buying the CD because it is so relaxing.
Adult Written bysarge123 June 12, 2015

Beautiful film features extremely brutal violence. 15+

The film's brutal violence features a man's heart being cut out, a scalping and various bloody shootings/stabbings.
Parent Written byPredatorman June 3, 2014

STUNNING MOVIE IN EVERY ASPECT

I absolutely loved this movie, and if you don't you have no taste in movies.
Parent Written byStepMomSterToo June 26, 2010
Great movie for adults. Very violent. There's tons of killing, acts of betrayal, war, vengeance, and suicide. An emotional movie at times, but a great one for the right audiences.