Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for The Last of the Mohicans

Violent historical drama. Not for young kids.

Adult Written byTreyT January 11, 2011

Intense, and well it should be. Excellently moral, yet believable.

While this film was undeniably violent, it was not distastefully so in my opinion. War on the Colonial American frontier was a gentlemen's war in the European tradition, but it was a war for men and women of true character, strength, and grit. The morality of the good men and the treachery of the evil were clearly contrasted. The theme is plain: the right wins in the long run, but at a great cost. The frequent, but only occasionally graphic scenes of fighting and death of men and women on both sides serves to drive this message unforgettably. I personally found the suicide scene beautiful, but it may be grounds for a bit of discussion on the topic. Finally, there are in other reviews references to a man being burned at the stake. This is a terrible scene, but it is one of redemption, when one man sacrifices himself for another whom he has previously wronged. Again, the portrayal of the violence of the act lends the message immeasurably more force. The one kissing scene is rather long and highly-charged, but it, too, serves to advance the development of the characters without anything I thought gratuitous. It is about as intense as such a scene can get while the characters keep their eighteenth-century frontier clothing on, and might be a little passionate for a few viewers (I don't know your kid.), but, as I said, it's tasteful. Otherwise, the cinematography is generally excellent, Day-Lewis's character in particular stands out for his flawless acting (this is not to say the rest of the actors were lacking), and the plot is generally fairly believable. The thing as a whole is glorious, sad, and triumphant in a restrained and real way.

Parent of a 14 year old Written byTsion June 26, 2010

A Raw, Beautiful, Old-Fashioned Epic (Plus the Violence)

The bottom line about THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS is that you should watch it. Period. It is a high-spirited epic of adventure and romance in the tradition of LAWRENCE OF ARABIA and DANCES WITH WOLVES. Not only is it fun to watch, but it is very poignant and moving (plus, it has spectacular cinematography and gorgeous music). But the question you're asking right now is, is it okay for kids? The answer is no. The movie earns its R-rating for violence, and definately should not be shown to anyone under the age of 13 or 14. However, as far as R ratings go, this one is pretty tame. Violence pervades the movie, with three large battle sequences that feature many people's deaths via stabbing, bludgeoning, and shooting. There is an immeasurable body count, however, most of it is bloodless (and average for any PG-13 movie). The exceptions: in a quick shot, a man is scalped (you see his white skull for a moment, with no blood). A man has his jaw broken quickly with a rifle, and you momentarily see his bloody face. A man is stabbed in the back, and he throat is slit (barely offscreen). A woman voluntarily falls to her death from a cliff. A man is bloodily impaled with a rifle, and a man has his heart torn out (the tearing is offscreen, but he later see the out-of-body heart). There is also a passionate kiss, but no sex. No language. Characters are brave and self-sacrificing.

Parent of a 14 year old Written bySonja2 December 4, 2009

Perfect for thirteen or older

I personally love this movie, any think any teen 13 and up should be able to handle the violence in it. Although anyone that is younger I might recommend skipping in two places in the film.

Adult Written byMatthew N. April 22, 2017

Not as violent as being portrayed.

Last of the Monica's is a must see movie. Zero stars for positive message is absurd. This movie details the struggles of frontier life during the French Indian war and does a great job depicting the pain and brutality faced by all involved. There is honor, sacrifice (British soldier gives his life for a woman), love, mercy and history...all worth talking about. War is not glammerized and the battle scenes are chaotic and raw. The complaints regarding the violence is way overblown and probably less than that of Lord of The Rings. I would reserve a 5 rating for saving private Ryan or braveheart, which are far more violent. I would recommend skipping the kissing scene as it is passionate though. First half is a little slow. Last 30 minutes is as good as a movie can get. Music is mesmerizing.
Adult Written bysarge123 June 12, 2015

Beautiful film features extremely brutal violence. 15+

The film's brutal violence features a man's heart being cut out, a scalping and various bloody shootings/stabbings.

Adult Written byleonard p. June 3, 2014

STUNNING MOVIE IN EVERY ASPECT

I absolutely loved this movie, and if you don't you have a terrible taste in movies.

Adult Written bycissykay April 9, 2008

For the fan of American history!

My 8 year old loves this movie, but my husband would fast forward through most of the intense fighting scenes. During the opening sequence the three characters are chasing a deer through the forest and Hawkeye shoots it. After killing the deer, they celebrate it's life and spirit, which for the true hunter, is what hunting is all about. The music is beautiful and I recommend buying the CD because it is so relaxing.
Adult Written byLowe's man April 23, 2016

should've been rated PG-13

I don't see anything wrong with 12 year olds watching this movie. In fact, this movie should've been rated PG-13 instead of R. That's because the violence is bloodless and nongraphic, not to mention tame, especially when compared to most of today's war movies. Even suicide is something that junior high students have heard of. This could prompt a discussion, particularly when viewed in a classroom. They'll also learn something about the French and Indian War (which, of course, took place before the American Revolution). Moreover, the romance is tame, especially when compared to other movies of the last 35 or 45 years. At times the movie can be hard to follow, but again so are wars in general. The pace is slow but well worth it, not to mention well-acted.
Parent Written byStepMomSterToo June 26, 2010
Great movie for adults. Very violent. There's tons of killing, acts of betrayal, war, vengeance, and suicide. An emotional movie at times, but a great one for the right audiences.

Adult Written bySam Marrick April 26, 2017

Amusing Colonial Melodrama

The only bad scene is when a heart is shown in someones hand after cutting it out offscreen. We only briefly see the bloody victim
Adult Written byKevinKlinelover June 11, 2017

The violence is historically accurate

It feels like a PG-13 to me because the violence is historically accurate.