Parent reviews for The Legend of Bagger Vance

Lovingly told drama isn't for everyone; some iffy stuff.

Parent Written byjhartsock81 April 12, 2011
Slow movie, but what did you expect from a Golf movie.
Is a scene where main female character is shown in her underwear, but its modest for the time period.

Adult Written byKen G. January 7, 2018

A good film for the family

In this film you'll find less exploitation of the female body than can be seen in television commercials your children probably see every day. Foul language and drinking doesn't distract from the message of the film. Obviously this is a Golf film but, unlike other Golf films, this one has a message that will warm your heart.

Adult Written byMHW February 5, 2017

Takes God's name in vain multiple times.

If taking God's name in vain offends you then you will want to skip this movie. The movie starts off with the character taking God's name in vain. It happened again towards the beginning of the movie so I had to turn it off. Just wanted to forewarn people who might find this offensive.

Parent of a 13-year-old Written bycolten97 October 11, 2012

Another Excellent Fantasy-Sports Film

I usually like fantasy movies and I really enjoy sports films. Combine the two well - like "Field Of Dreams" and like this movie - and I am sure to rate this extremely high. I've seen it three times and enjoyed it immensely each time.

It reminded me a bit, too, of "The Natural," but instead of baseball, this one features golf and real-life legends Bobby Jones and Walter Hagen playing the local guy, "Rannulph Junuh". Like "The Natural," this is beautifully photographed, has a wonderful feel-good ending, a variety of characters, a beautiful lead woman and good acting.

The no-name child actor in here, J. Michael Moncrief, who plays "Hardy Greaves," narrates the film as an older man looking back on this story. The kid is a fine actor, too, and I really enjoyed his Georgia accent. Charlize Theron is the beauty, playing "Adele Invergordon," a woman who organizes this famous golf match between the greatest amateur player of the world, the best professional and "Junuh," who is the focus of this story. Theron's known for her dramatic roles but she exhibits a nice comedy touch in here.

Damon does his normal fine job of acting and Will Smith, as the angelic caddie "Bagger Vance," is uncharacteristically low-key, which I found nice to see. Bruce Magill did a good as Hagen and Joel Gretsch, likewise, for Jones. Magill is obviously the best real-life golfer here among these actors. Damon had to learn the game from scratch, and did a fine job with his swing.

The only part of this film that went a little overboard - but it's the fantasy part of the story - was the New Age-type preaching by "Bagger." However, some of his speeches were simply golf visualization, which has always been taught as a means to concentrate better on one's shot-making. I didn't think hearing the Lord's name in vain a half dozen times was necessary in here, either, but what are you gonna do? Other than those things, this is great film and I one I throughly appreciate every time I see it.

Adult Written bynconwell January 31, 2012

Incredible, Massively Underrated

Every one of us has faced an adversity (or two) in our lives where we decide flight is the choice instead of fight. Events occur that knock us off our projected course and reshape us as an individual without any sense of direction of how to get back; and this is a story of one of those journeys. Rannulph Junah (Matt Damon) is an up and coming phenom golfer from Georgia who is sent off to fight in World War 1. When he returns home, his confidence is completely shattered and proceeds to spiral into the depths of alcoholism. Upon inheriting a golf course, Junah’s old flame, Adele Inergordon (Charlize Theron)decides to solve the golf courses financial woes with a one-on-one golf tournament with the two best golfers in the world, Bobby Jones (Joel Gretch) and Walter Hagen (Bruce McGill). The town pleads for an addition from Savannah to represent them in the tournament and Rannulph Junah is selected. Severely reluctant, being an understatement, Junah decides to play and quickly realizes (along with everyone else) that he is a shell of his former self. One night while Junah is horrifically hitting golf balls, literally, out of nowhere appears Bagger Vance (Will Smith), and becomes Junah’s caddy for the match. Using a combination of life experience and an unexplainable knowledge Bagger Vance helps Junah find what he has lost, his “swing.”

Director Robert Redford uses golf as a medium to explain this, painful and emotional, story of a man who once had everything and lost it all fighting for his country in World War 1. He shows us that “remembering” involves reconnecting; in this case Junah is assisted by Bagger Vance in remembering his “swing” and conquering his fears, and most importantly that whatever may be buried deep in the past was only just a moment ago. Redford uses rather deep cinematography to focus in on the symbolism of everything around us, and how listening and feeling reconnects us to what we knew. This movie is a little on the cerebral and emotional side, and involves some soul searching to connect with the true point of the film. The performances by Damon, Theron and Smith are terrific.

(The film is rated PG-13 for language and some sensuality)