Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou

Another quirkfest from Wes Anderson; not for kids.

Adult Written byhamstergurl09 August 9, 2012

WOW.

This is by far one of the best films I've seen in quite a while. Out of all Wes Anderson's movies, this one is my favorite. It's very quirky, and I can understand why some people might not really get it. Wes Anderson has a very different way of looking at the world, judging by his films, and I appreciate that. This film has a great story, with lots of interesting stuff happening, like pirate ambushes and extraordinary adventures. It is both funny and dramatic. The acting is excellent. The visuals are imaginative (including some cool stop-motion sea creatures animated by Henry Selick!). People's reviews on here make it sound like this film is X rated or something; it's really not that bad. Characters smoke and swear, and there's some kissing. An affair and bisexuality are mentioned. Seriously, it's not even that bad! I highly recommend this film for people interested in marine biology or a compelling story.

Adult Written byPan April 9, 2008

I love this movie, but I know not everyone will get it!! You have to have an IQ larger than your shoe size, dearies :) No, I wouldn't say this is for the kids, or for most adults...they're just too ignorant :)
Adult Written byjmo97 April 19, 2017

Entertaining film from Wes Anderson

While it does take a while to get used to Anderson's humor and directing style, I think that in the end, the story has enough fun in it to appeal to different viewers (and especially for those who already are fans of his work). There is good dialogue, amusing action scenes, and some odd stop-motion visuals. Concerning what to look out for, there is quite a bit of foul language (such as f- and s-words), and the action scenes do have some blood (some of the violence includes shootings. Funny enough, I don't remember seeing any drug use in the film, other than people smoking cigarettes. However, there are a couple of scenes with a topless woman (she's seen like that for a few seconds in at least two scenes). Older teens and adults should have a good time with this movie, and keep kids away until they're older. 6.8/10

Adult Written byalexo21 April 9, 2008

ZZZZzzzzZZZzzzzZZZZz

Not good for kids. Partial nudity, drugs, violence. And why would any kid or even older teen want to watch this. It's very very slow paced and boring. To tell you the truth I didn't understand the message of this movie if there was one. I was hoping for something good with Murray and Wilson but it's a huuuge waste of time.
Adult Written byPlugIt_In August 26, 2018

Not as good as his other films, but still great.

I enjoyed this movie well enough, although the David Bowie covers were horrendous. There is some sexual content, as in Bare breasts seen once and a man saying he is part gay. An intense hijacking scene that is quite bloody. A man is shot in the shoulder; blood sprays. A man is eaten by a shark, blood is seen everywhere. A man is seen lying in a puddle of blood. 30-40 uses of fuck, or something like that. About 20 uses of shit. Good film!