All parent member reviews for The Lion King

Adult Written byMamaMegan April 9, 2008

An awful awful movie

I cannot understand why this movie has ever gotten positive reviews. It is horrifying and obscenely violent. The uncle's meanness, deceit, and manipulation are better suited to adult psycho-dramas than a kids movie. I deeply regret ever showing this movie to my 5 yr old. Awful.
Adult Written bysavvypaul September 24, 2011

I love this movie!

For all of the parents that are bashing this movie... seriously? Maybe you should have read up on it before you exposed your precious children to it, if you're all so into sheltering them from everything. It's not like Disney is keeping the plot a secret from everyone who hasn't already seen it... Do your research. I could see if the movie was advertised as having cute butterflies and teddy bears, but it wasn't. Do a Google search next time before you expose your kids to something. Don't bash a legendary movie just because you made a mistake. And as for the rating, tons of movies were rated somewhat oddly in the past. The first Planet of the Apes movie was rated G - would you show your kids that just because of its rating, even though it appears to be about apes that enslaved the human race? I would understand if you just didn't like the movie, but the fact that you got angry because its content shocked you is really annoying. The Lion King is actually my favorite animated movie, and I saw it when I was three (oh my god, it damaged me for life!) My parents explained everything to me, and I got over the bad parts. I hate to break it to you, but your children's lives aren't going to be peachy and perfect and filled with all things wonderful - bad things happen in the world all the time. Animated movies are good mediums for children to experience these negative things in a controlled setting with the support of a parent. I feel sorry for your children. If you get so pissed off when they start crying about a movie because you have to deal with them, what do you do when they wet the bed or spill something? Rub their face in it?
Parent Written byJoe1000 February 10, 2014

Your kids will be scared to death!!!

All of the Lion King serie is not at all for young children. It contains a lot of violent and very scary moments and characters. The hyenas and uncle Scar are very scary and the music and scenes are often very frightening. VERY DARK AND HEAVY MOVIE. It should not be rated G. Do not show to your children if you do not want them to have nightmares! This movie is good for adults and preteens only.
Adult Written byDeckerc September 17, 2011

A-M-A-Z-I-N-G

great movie STOP HATING ON THIS MOVIE HATERS
Parent of a 14 year old Written byblublublu March 13, 2010

Best Disney film of all time

The best kid movie ever. completely alright for all ages, although the mufasa death scene is unbelievably sad, and will make almost all kids cry. The movie is actually quite well made, which is why viewers get so attached to simba and mufasa, and why they hate scar so much. I dont know how to recommend this highly enough, because it is just so good. A movie your kid will literally want to see again and again (to the point that both you and them will be able to recite the lines by memory). Had the Academy Award for best animated film been around in 1994, The Lion King would surely have won.
Parent Written bydean57 November 13, 2011

good entertainment

Adult Written byJilly1981 September 15, 2011

Showing the pride and care in your family...

This is an all time favorite classic of Disney. The movie does come back in 3D! I've loved this movie as a child growing up. I think this movie is great for kids mostly of all ages. It teaches you how to respect your family in some parts of who to trust and believe in your own path to the future. It also teaches the young cub Simba, to learn the knowledge of courage and how to stand up for his rights. If your kids have the right courage to believe, anything can be possible. This also features Disney characters who help eachother out on a long battle for freedom of the family bonds. Basically it is like what Timon says "You gottta put your past behind you" to cover your fears and discover a new future!
Adult Written byKyla07 October 2, 2010

not for too young kids

I loved this movie, but was distraught when Mufasa died, (I watched it when I was young) and won't let my kid watch it before he isn't at least 5 years old. Its a good opportunity to let your kid experience death and how to deal with it, I wouldn't let him watch it alone.
Parent Written bypowercise September 16, 2011

Way, way too dark and violent.

We just walked out half way through. Way too violent and dark for my 6 year old.
Adult Written bydemaion September 15, 2011

Poor excuse for a commercial success.

Terribly violent story with catchy songs. Skip it and go straight to Pixar films
Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written byAppropriate August 10, 2010

Fitting for Life

Parents should be able to explain and watch this movie with children. Death of parent brings out fears; can be good to address. Overall realistic, and positive. Sing, dance or celebrate with your children!
Parent of a 5 year old Written byzelita October 8, 2009

Good for adults and 9 year olds

In general, Disney movies disguise adult contents and themes, dressing them up in children like characters. Read all the Adult reviews in this section and proof is there. As an adult and from a theatre production standpoint, Lion King is absolutely fantastic and has a great sound track. I have seen the movie and the show. Would I recommend it to 5 year olds? No. The themes are not appropriate from a development point of view to what 5 year olds needs or could be experiencing. The presence of violence, sex innuendos, reinforcement of social stereotypes and gender roles are constant throughout Disney's movies. Again, great for adults, poor choice for young kids.
Adult Written byKIS katrine February 5, 2009

The Lion King Review:

Have you ever watched a movie that inspires you or fills you with an animating, quickening, or exalting influence? The Lion King has done this for me. Set under the heavenly clear blue skies and starlit nights, in between the lush green meadows and dry bush's of Africa's Savannah, some animated wild animals come to life. Simba, a new born baby cub, (voice by Jonathan Taylor Thomas) is growing up in the joyous grasslands of Africa. But Simba isn't just any ordinary cub, his father, Mufasa (voice by James Earl Jones) is the king. Not only is he the king, but the hero of his son’s life. Soon "everything the sun shines on in the savannah" will belong to Simba, the future king. Yet, there is a problem. The problems name is Scar (voice by Jeremy Irons). One of the most evil lions that trot around the outskirts of the savannah. There is good and bad in everyone, but Scar has more of the bad. He also struggles to fight the battle of jealousy. Eventually, his jealousy of Simba becoming the future king leads him to killing Mufasa (the king) in a stampede of buffaloes. He makes Simba seem responsible for it and Simba being only a young child believes the fact that he was the one responsible for killing his father and runs away. As he grows up (adult voice by Matthew Broderick) and adapts a new life in the jungle, he manages to make friends with two hilarious and heart-warming characters, Timon (voice by Nathan lane) and Pumba (voice by Ernie Sabella.) Pumba is a warthog and Timon is a meerkat. Together, they teach Simba important, basic, life lessons and of course, "hakuna matata," Swahili for "no worries" They teach Simba to not worry about his past, but to face it and learn from it. One sunny afternoon, as the sun is beaming down and the wind is rustling in the lovely agaisha trees, Nala (voice by Moira Kelly), one of the lioness’s from Simba's childhood comes across Simba while hunting. She tells him that Scar is king now and doing a horrible job therefore Simba is needed to rule. Simba decides to return to the place he once lived in, to rule. He fights Scar, his evil uncle, for the position as king. The question is, does he win the fight? I recommend you watch The Lion King to find out. This movie not only brings tears and laughter, but teaches both young and old about important life lessons. There are many great aspects of film making in this movie. Music is one of them. The music and each song of this movie fit each scene perfectly and will keep your head bopping up and down throughout. The music in the movie is sung by the characters. Another great aspect of the film making of this movie is the set design. It is an animated movie, yet everything looks as if it could be real and is drawn extremely well. The lions are drawn well, as well as the savannah and the other animals. This movie is quite old and is drawn very well considering it is so old. I love this movie. It is beautiful and memorable. In my opinion, it's the best Disney movie ever made. 1994 is when it was made and it is still being watched today. The movie reminds me of my childhood since I grew up and lived in Africa for 8 years of my life. What an excellent movie it is. I think people should continue watching it over the years!
Adult Written byJediQueen April 9, 2008

Good but violent.

This movie is good but the last scenes and even some of the first are a little scary and depressing. The end battle is very violent and we see blood fly every time a lion gets hit. this movie also has a bit of a somber mood but it is sucessfully broken with Timon and Pummba they are both great for the kids. This Move also contains a strong Nazi reference but this won't affect the kids, but you might find your child goose stepping be warned.
Adult Written byCupcakesAndSprinkles September 16, 2011

Not scary at all

I think everybody has probably seen The Lion King atleaest once in their lives and i don't think anyone has seen it as SCARY. They show this movie in daycares, preschools, etc and i have never ever heard it described as scary.
Adult Written byAshnak April 9, 2008

Great Movie

This was a great movie but should have been PG for the nazi symbolism (goose-stepping hyenas)
Parent Written byrscottfishburn January 23, 2016

Hidden racism

I was surprised to hear that The Lion King was a racist film when a trusted friend told me that her experience watching at an adult was such. She explained to me many things which I later saw for myself, and which I believe are best expressed by the following critical review, which I will link here: http://girlsincapes.com/2013/05/10/tlk-hyenas/
Adult Written by 1047 December 21, 2015

Be Prepared- for a really good movie!!!

I think that everybody should see this movie once in their life. So, basically, it's Hamlet with animals and a happy ending. (BTW I haven't seen or read Hamlet. I just know that this movie was based off of it and everyone dies at the end of Hamlet.) This has a really good story, what may be the greatest Disney villain, some good characters, and some great songs. But here's what you need to know: Violence/Scariness: I know that most people here are talking about when Mufasa dies, and I agree that's a heavy scene that you'll probably need to talk kids through. But I wouldn't watch this for EIGHT straight years (I just rewatched it a year ago and LOVED it) because of the hyenas. The older kids will laugh, but younger kids and even some of the older ones will be seriously freaked out. Scar's song, "Be Prepared" could scare some sensitive kids. Ditto with the climatic battle at the end, although a lot of kids will just be cheering for Simba. Language: None, really. Sure, Scar says "fool" and "Idiot", but it's not like kids never heard those. Sex: There's one love song, but anyone can watch it. Drugs: HECK NO!!! Overall: Your younger kids may want to stop watching after "I just can't wait to be king" and resume at "Hakuna Matata", then stop altogether. But be warned: Your older kids will probably yell out the opening words to "Circle of life" at some point. Ciao!!
Adult Written byOliviaReviewsIt October 6, 2015

It Starts...

The Lion King is a fantastic movie, about a young lion cub named Simba who must confront his past and take his rightful place as the future king of the Pridelands. It has many good messages, about doing what’s right and finding happiness when times are tough. However, I have always thought that this movie is a bit violent for kids. There is a lot of peril involving Simba’s uncle Scar and the hyenas, specifically the chase scenes, and Mufasa’s death can be very emotional for both children and adults. Scar speaks threateningly of “killing Mufasa” and instructing the hyenas to “kill” Simba. Scar is a very manipulative character, and he repetitively plays with Simba’s emotions, such as making him feel responsible for his father’s death. There are quite a few threats thrown around, and the peril is quite high, so I’d suggest 10 and up on this one. There is nothing else to worry about, the humor is clean and so is the romance. It is a well-written story and in my opinion, the best Disney classic.
Parent of a 17 and 17 year old Written bypoppinsfan August 14, 2015