All parent member reviews for The Little Engine That Could

Parent of a 2 year old Written byJacx May 2, 2011

This is a great movie. My 3 year old loves it! It is a great fit for a boy or a girl.
Parent of a 2, 3, and 6 year old Written bylkbt March 26, 2011

Way too scary!

This movie was way to scary for my kids (4 and 6). We couldn't make it through the whole movie. My 4 year old stopped watching after the train almost fell off the scary bridge and the boy dangled over the abyss. My 6 year old stopped watching after the incredibly scary Nightmare Train. It was really frightening! The overall message of the movie may be good, but if you can't make it that far into it, even to see the resolution with the Nightmare Train, then the goodness is lost.
Parent of a 3 year old Written byRennyMom April 2, 2011

We put this movie on for a group of kids (ages 3.5 to 8) and every one of them was scared. I can't believe it is rated acceptable for ages 4, my son (3 and half) actually cried he was so frightened. I would not recommend this for kids under 7.
Parent of a 4 year old Written byBritt_fe March 30, 2011

adorable characters and great message

This movie was awesome. I hear my son saying, "I think I can," whenever I ask him to do something. The train is a great role model. It has really taught my son that he can do anything if he will just try. There are a couple of edge of you seat scenes. If your children are really easily frightened, this is probably not the movie for them. There are a couple of bullies and a nightmare train that may be a little much for some youngsters. My son (4), usually easily frightened, got a little worried, but when I explained that everything would be ok, he was fine and made it to the end of the movie. He now wants to watch it over and ove (50 times a day). He understands that even though it is a little creepy for a few minutes, everyone will be ok.
Parent of a 5 year old Written bymomofonesweetkid March 27, 2011

Nice gender neutral movie, cute characters, and nice message.

My 5 year old loved this movie. She did curl up in my lap during the nightmare train scenes, but overall, she really enjoyed it.
Parent Written bycoffeelovinmommy September 16, 2011

Super cute movie with a great message

My 2.5 yr old absolutely loves this movie. He sees the picture on the tv for this movie on netflix and points at it and says "choo-choo" and then as soon as I push play he gets a big smile and says YAY!! and claps his hands. He isn't scared by the Nightmare Train at all. And its really cute to see him kinda sing along with the songs. Love this movie and would totally recommend it to others.
Parent Written bypomsol November 21, 2011

A very good message.

My son is two, and he loves this movie. He never gets scared, and it seems like we watch it everyday. I can see why the nightmare train would be scary.. but it has never effected my son he gets excited every time we push the play button.
Educator and Parent Written bySunnyCA January 27, 2012

Positive message about trying your best

My 2 year old loves this movie and wants to watch it every day. At first he thought the Nightmare Train was a little scary, but now he's not even phased by it. When he has a hard time doing something, we just say "Be like the Little Engine" and he says "I think I can, I think I can" and usually gets through the task. My 5 year old son enjoys it as well and tolerates it more than Sesame Street. Strong message about not giving up, good for talking about bullying and nightmares.
Parent Written bygirlinthecurl July 8, 2012

Too scary for a sensitive 4.5 year old

We had to stop watching, even before the "Nightmare Train". My 4.5-yo got too scared at a scene where the train has to cross a large gorge and nearly falls off. (Reading about the nightmare train makes me realize stopping was a good decision.) It gave us a chance to stop and have a good discussion. So I'd say it's more for the 5-yr old and up crowd at least.
Parent of an infant and 2 year old Written byalicow79 August 29, 2013

Scary elements But Overall a Positive, Engaging Movie

I have to agree with other reviewers that there are scary elements. The Nightmare Train particularly can be scary, and I was surprised that my son wasn't bothered by it. Overall this is a great movie with a positive message if you feel your children can handle some scary scenes. We watch this movie frequently on movie night, and we discuss the means boys, what it means to be a mean boy, and how the Nightmare Train was defeated. Because of this movie, we purchased the book The Little Engine That Could.
Parent Written byPopeye1234 November 10, 2012

Too scary

Way too scary for 4 year olds like some of the other parents say. Maybe 6+ but depends on the kids.