All parent member reviews for The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Beginning

Parent of a 2 year old Written byFumblingAngel July 16, 2010

Not Appropriate for Toddlers

This movie, although it's Disney, is too scary for kids. My 2 year old son happened to come in the room when it was being played for our roommate's daughter, watched the scene when the pirated come with their ship and is "killed", basically. Not physically, but you don't see her after. He was very concerned and continued to ask "Ariel's Mommy ok? Mommy ok"? He was very worried and scared. Definitely NOT OK for 2-3 year olds.
Adult Written byisabellav November 7, 2014

Great Family Film, as any other disney film

I am a long time disney fan, and I was thoroughly impressed with this movie. There is great music, a wonderful message for children, emotion, a fabulous villain and all the components that make a great family animation. It is not as wonderful as the first little mermaid, but for a prequel, it is definitely worth a watch.
Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written byWeedPuller September 11, 2014

Only for Ariel fans

The animation and music don't meet the standard of The Little Mermaid, or even of #2, Return to the Sea. The sisters are stereotypical femmes, fighting over mirror space, for example. The villain is really into fashion and wears wigs. Subtle stereotypes and Princess marketing aside, there's little cause for concern in this movie. But be aware that the mom's death and dad's (Triton's) depression, plus the electric eel minions of the villain could upset sensitive kids. The eels are introduced as scary, dangerous mystery creatures, kept in a cage. When you finally see them they're not that scary, but until then they are a bit dark.
Parent of a 5 year old Written byinesdeportugal November 2, 2012

No need for kiss a boy reference

We thought this film was really good. It's such a pity there is a sister mermaid that keeps talking about how much she wants to kiss a boy - this is not supposed to be a teen movie.
Adult Written bydanielleb November 25, 2011

Skip The First Scene!

We skip the opening scene when we watch this movie because my daughter is only 2 and very sensitive to when "bad things" happen in movies. She doesn't fully understand the absence of Ariel's mommy, but I just tell her Ariel and Ariel's Daddy miss her. She seems to accept that and enjoy the movie after. As a parent, I don't appreciate that Ariel's dad is (once again) portrayed as an unyielding drill sergeant. However, in the end the family comes together and music is allowed back in the ocean. The villain in this movie is harmless, has cute songs of her own, and turns good at the end. A rather innocent film featuring my daughter's favorite Princess.
Parent of a 7 and 8 year old Written byqtnn January 11, 2009