Parent reviews for The Little Prince

Animated take on classic tale is sweet but restrained.

Adult Written byCharity L. September 4, 2016

Confusing moral messages

The animation is wonderful, the music is great, and the story generally moves along well. We read most of the book with our kids and really wanted to enjoy this movie.

I found, though, that we were all disappointed by the messages it sends to children. Apparently having a plan for your life and working hard to achieve it is disdainful. Kinda worked for my life, so I don't see the problem. In addition, the mother is portrayed in a terrible light, over-scheduling her child to the point of ridiculous. Disobedience is presented as the inevitable consequence. The aviator at one point tells the kid to lie, and they have a run-in with the police for driving without a license. Adults can dismiss this as humorous commentary on senility. Children don't get it. "Why did the adult tell her to lie, mom?" My son asked. The daughter continually leaves the house (at one point climbing out the window of her second story room) and lies to her mother regarding her whereabouts. The girl appears to murder someone at one point in the movie by dropping a bowling ball on his head. I know cartoons used to do that back in the day, but her victim's body is shoved away, looking lifeless. He had no stars over his head with a goofy grin. The scene is dark and the man never recovers and we forget him as the movie moves on.

The general disregard for authority, including school officials, parents, and police, is disturbing. I don't want my children to lose their enjoyment of life and become money-making automatons. I do want them to become respectful members of society who can use disagreements with authorities as a catalyst for discussion and eventual change. This was a terrible movie for my crew, and I wished we hadn't watched it.
Adult Written bySarahJoy3D January 16, 2019

Visually Beautiful, Movingly Written

First, I would suggest screening it to see if it is appropriate for your child. That said, I was pulled in by the art, music and story. It told the story of The Little Prince through a spunky old man's narritive and interactions with a young (over worked) girl who was his nieghbor. If you've read the book you know to be prepared for truths of beauty and sorrow mingled. It is nothing like Disney, its own thing - in feel and mood I might compare it to 'Song of the Sea'.
Parent of a 9 and 11-year-old Written byliligabor August 31, 2016

A tearjerker for my 9 year old

Beautifully done but the dark moments were too sad for my somewhat sensitive boy.

Parent Written bywalkerjen February 19, 2021

So good!

By the third episode I was crying and hooked. Loved the diverse cast and that it tackles tough, modern issues.

Adult Written byBethdan June 21, 2020

Great movie but perhaps a bit confusing for 6 year olds

Charming animation and after a slow start a fantastic tale.

Our 6 year olds loved the fox and the girl and the old man’s stories.

Not too sad for us. The children liked the fox’s advice to follow your heart about what’s important.

They were a bit confused about why the old man was in hospital at the very end.
Adult Written byKen R. March 12, 2020

Another Version for you to seriously consider

Firstly, let me explain; this review is for the 1974 version.

Anyone who even dared to think of making a live action musical film out of Antoine de Saint-Exupery’s classic novel was going headlong into difficult territory. And when you bravely decide you’re going to take the challenge, you need equally brave artists to risk the journey with you. Stanley Donen was in good company when he embarked on ‘The Little Prince’ with the distinguished team of Lerner and Loewe in 1973. It would be the last work of the famous writer composer team together. It was always going to be a hit or miss affair as its theme doesn’t sit comfortably in a formal genre. For some, it’s not quite adult enough while it’s also too sophisticated for certain kids. In fact, this is a philosophical study of relationships and the difficulty of adults to maintain enough childish delight to sustain youthful exuberance into adulthood. This is profound stuff!

As for the music, it’s up there with many of this team’s great works but just a little differently so. Except for what some regard as a couple of forgettable songs there are more than enough soaring delights to please the team’s followers. It was never possible or necessary, to write great songs for small sketches that were simply intended to link parts of the story - why some critics fail to understand this is telling of their nativity. While I may agree that some sections of this production don’t come across entirely successfully - it was always going to be this way due to the unique situations being portrayed. This is no ordinary story or musical, and that should be part of its charm. Many profound thoughts are put forth and those with the sensitively and perceptiveness of heart and mind will benefit from seeing this one-of-a-kind classic work.

Richard Kiley is perfect as ‘The Pilot’ he is both strong and sensitive - with just the right voice to project the messages of each powerful song. When he and young Stephen Warner are desperately looking for water they share a duet that tells of the many moods of the parched land in “Sometimes The Desert” - together they give this glowing melody wonderful warmth. Bob Fosse as The Sssnake, offers up a powerful allegory representing the deceptive serpent in the garden, while Gene Wilder is totally beguiling as The Fox - both these segments are perfected by two more terrific songs. Sadly, even though it was nominated and won several major Awards The Little Prince failed to find the perfect audience but those who looked deeply inside its soul were the beneficiaries of a great cinematic wealth wrapped up in striking Christopher Challis photography.

Buy the 1974 version on DVD and discover the magic for yourself.

Parent of a 4 and 8-year-old Written byJennifer C. April 18, 2019

My kids were mezmerized with it...

Parent Written byChristina W. March 3, 2018

Great Movie!

I think this movie is fantastic and a great movie for families. I originally didn’t want to watch this film, because it had terrible ratings. But my daughter insisted on watching it, so we did. But when we finished it, I realized that the ratings should have been much higher. There was a bit of tears, but it was a fantastic movie. My eight year old daughter and I loved it.

Parent Written byNardya M. June 2, 2017

Beautiful movie

I love having movies available that can talk in such a beautiful way about emotions. Many children experience the loss of a loved one and I think this movie gives them some very beautiful words and thoughts for those difficult emotions.

Parent of a 11 and 15-year-old Written byRipstart April 25, 2017

I walked in the theater completely blind. I was really disappointed when leaving it.

First of all, this is completely family friendly. Nothing bad about it. My friends and I went to watch it and none of us understood most of it. Also, the girl literally FLED from home and left her mom just to see her very old neighbor she barely knew. Also, she tried moving in with him. Isn't it illegal to move in with a non-family member without a guardian's permission..?
Parent Written bykaren b. April 11, 2017

Upset 9-yr Old

My son watched this with me when he was 9. I don't remember the movie well, but he remembers it vividly. He insisted that I come on here and give it a review of zero stars. He finally confessed as to why the movie bothers him so much---he hates the movie because the old man dies in the end. I don't remember that at all. Anyway, I recommend age 11 because my 9-year old couldn't handle the suggestion of death.
Parent of a 6-year-old Written byNicole w January 14, 2017

In the words of my 6 year old "Beautiful movie!"

This is one of our absolute favorite movies!!! There are so many positive messages in this movie!!! Opened minded parents with a forever learning and growing mindset will love it! A parent may find this movie offensive if they are very controlling or do any of the following; over schedule there child, or puts their child's school / academic education before the emotional well being of the child. Or if they are a by the book, obedient rule follower, they will not appreciate this movie. That being said......

Story line, single workaholic business women living with her 8 year old daughter. This mother literally controlls every second of the girls life. Mother doesn't come home from work until late at night leaving the 8 year old girl alone at home all day, during summer break as well. Luckily she has a lovely neighbor next store, a lovable old aviator. She spends her summer vacation days with him tinkering with his plane, painting, flying kites, playing with a stuffed animal, and listening to his story of the precious little prince. All things children should be doing.....not studying every second of every day, which her mother expects her to be doing, literally every free moment she has..

The main message of this movie is to not forget what is it like to be a child. Hold onto that pure innocent child in you, especially important to do this for your own children. Try to remember what it was like. Very strong messages of FRIENDSHIP, LOVE , LIFE and even death. But very subtle, positive actually beautiful messages about death....not like a father getting trampled to death by a heard of buffalo right in front of his son...nothing horrific like that.

QUOTES FROM THIS BEAUTIFUL POETIC MOVIE

(((((The Little Girl: [reading out loud] Once upon a time there was little prince who lived on a planet that was scarcely bigger than himself.))))

((((((The Little Prince: it is only with heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye)))))

(((((The Little Prince: If you love a flower that lives on a star, it is sweet to look at the sky at night. All the stars are a-bloom with flowers...))))))

(((((The Aviator: Growing up is not the problem, forgetting is.))))))

(((((The Aviator: You're going to make a wonderful adult.))))))

((((((The Little Prince: In one of those stars I shall be living. In one of them I shall be laughing. And so it will be as if all the stars were laughing, when you look at the sky at night. ))))))

(((((The Little Prince: Hey, come and play with me.
The Fox: I cannot play with you. I'm not tamed.
The Little Prince: I am looking for friends. What does that mean - tame?
The Fox: It is an act too often neglected," said the fox. "It means to establish ties.
The Little Prince: To establish ties?
The Fox: Just that," said the fox. "To me, you are still nothing more than a little boy who is just like a hundred thousand other little boys. And I have no need of you. And you, on your part, have no need of me. To you I am nothing more than a fox like a hundred thousand other foxes. But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I shall be unique in all the world)))))

Oh here had to throw this in here in case you read some other awful reviews. The aviator does not tell the girl to lie! He trys to take her out for pancakes sheesh!!! Lol. We love him!

(((((The Aviator: Hey. Hey. You hungry? I know a great place where we can get free pancakes on your birthday.
The Little Girl: But my birthday's not for two weeks.
The Aviator: They don't know that.)))))

******I strongly recommend it for all. It is very encouraging film, for the parents how not to raise their children, and for the grownups how not to get lost is the adult world. ****((

Parent Written byShala F. August 15, 2016

Can be scary for kids

Lovely movie but pretty dark for some kids. My girls (7.5) burst into tears half way through worrying about who was dying or why everyone was being mean. They were ok by the end but are worried the movie will give them nightmares. So proceed with caution with the younger kids!