All parent member reviews for The Lone Ranger

Educator and Parent Written byHaney7 July 7, 2013

The Lone Ranger lighthearted entertainment.

This is a GREAT movie! I can't believe all the bad reviews. We weren't even going to go b/c of the negative publicity but the movie we wanted to see wasn't on at the theater we went to so we saw this one. It is light hearted, corn ball humor with a positive message. It lovingly pokes fun at the original Lone Ranger. This movie has the backdrop of the original old westerns, but with today's crazy special effects. We were prepared to just enjoy the popcorn, but were pleasantly surprised and entertained. There is one horribly graphic scene where the bad guy carves out the heart of one of his victims. My husband said they didn't actually show everything, I covered my eyes so I don't know, but there is plenty of warning for what he is about to do so you can not watch that part. Then there is a one legged salon girl who sort of has some sexual innuendo in a brothel, but it's all talk nothing ever happens. I would not say that this film includes sexuality except maybe for that scene in the brothel. Just girls in old fashioned western dance hall dresses, which are fairly modest by today's standards. The movie does run rather long. That was the worst of it. Very little if any profanity. The Lone Ranger presents an incredibly old fashioned hero, squeaky clean. The special effects are of course unbelievable but they sure fit the Lone Ranger nicely. Won't spoil it for you here, just wait and see. Go see this one, the critics are WAY OFF!
Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written bykning July 3, 2013

Violent with an identity crisis

This movie couldn't make up its mind whether to be serious or comedic. There were some humorous, light-hearted parts between Tonto and the Lone Ranger, but then there would be a gruesome, violent scene. It was jarring. As a parent, I would hesitate to take my kids because of the violence. They would have to cover their eyes/ears for several scenes, and then would be lost as to what was going on in the movie. The movie is also very long, and I think they would be bored. It's not an amazing movie, and it's just not worth risking it with the kids.
Parent Written bycrashmedic August 20, 2013

Entertaining for all ages

As with most reviews I have read here, I had to take some with a grain of salt. The poor reviews about this movie are way off base. I took my 3 children(12,8,5) to see it and they all loved it. Too many people get hung up on "violence". I think of what I watched on network TV as a child and the games we played and don't see much of a difference. Yes, there is violence just as there was violence in the original series and all the old westerns that were on TV. I also did not find the portrayal of Tonto offensive as the one poster mentioned. The portrayal of the native americans in the movie was somewhat historically accurate for the time period showing how the Europeans treated the native americans and broke treaties, took land and killed them for no reason. We are fairly strict in what our children watch on TV and see in movies. We generally look to this site for reviews before going to a PG-13 movie and if the reviews are not clear enough we see it without kids first. All in all we thought it was a very entertaining and funny movie that most children and adults can enjoy together.
Parent of a 8 and 17 year old Written byQuantumSam July 8, 2013

Lone Ranger -- don't underestimate this great movie.

Well done and exciting movie -- my 8-year old loved it and she normally falls asleep in such movies. Great homage to the Lone Ranger! My wife and I did not notice the long run time as there is so much action you never have time to get bored or even look at your watch.
Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written byTuesdayBear July 7, 2013

Be Prepared to Enjoy Yourself!

I enjoyed this movie simply because it was entertaining. You've got to go in ready to suspend your disbelief and just enjoy the ride. It's rare to see a movie that doesn't ask the audience to just have fun without thinking about deeper issues. Those issues are there, but they don't become so central to the story that you forget to enjoy it for what it is. Basically, it's a spaghetti western with a more modern feel to it. If you don't like that sort of movie, then don't go see it. Yes, it's long, but the pacing keeps it from seeming overly long. I was never bored. I was worried about the length, but that movie went by quickly! Yes, there is violence, but no more so than you see in a lot of movies these days. And the violence was definitely of the PG-13 variety. This was not an R movie. For once, I agreed with the ratings board. A couple of the scenes are intense. There was a child around 10 or so in the theater with us, and he was obviously bothered by one scene. Stick with the ratings guidelines and don't bring young kids to see it just because it's a Disney movie. Other than those caveats, I highly recommend this movie. I've been a fan of the Lone Ranger since I was a kid, and this movie did not disappoint me.
Parent Written bymomof2plus July 25, 2013

Mixed Review...Loved it BUT...

My husband and I went to The Lone Ranger and while we loved it we were hoping to be able to go to it again the next time with our 10 yr old son who really wanted to see this...not going to happen:-(. Not sure what Disney was thinking with the cannibalism and excessive violence (ripping out of the heart was way too far), without a few of the scenes we would have gone a 2nd time and taken him. So Disney lost out on ticket sales not just from our family but from others as well I would guess. Also there are Lego Lone Ranger sets etc which are really cool and I'm sure would have been on his wish list had he been able to see the movie, so lost sales there also. On a positive note a previous poster pointed out how squeaky clean the Lone Ranger part was played and that was awesome. From our point of view it was an exciting and at times funny movie with parts that brought a time in history to life, great acting and awesome special effects. It kept our attention throughout. Loved how the story was told with Tonto and the little boy at the Wild West Show at a fair years later. Loved the ending also. From our point of view also would have been better without the cannibalism and excessive violence.
Parent of a 9 and 13 year old Written byQuiltMama80 December 29, 2013

Too many gruesome death scenes

Too much graphic violence for this family. We watched this with our 9 and 13 year old daughters that are mature enough for action violence but some scenes just don't know where to quit with the gruesome deaths in this film. And the movie itself was all over the place. We found about ten minutes of the overall movie entertaining, the rest was a true waste of time. It is an incredibly long movie that becomes a chore to watch.
Adult Written bySunnyZim October 5, 2013

Rattlin' Good Yarn

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie! Given all the bad reviews, I was expecting to get bored but on the contrary there was never a dull moment! It was quite violent however which is something that parents should be bear in mind, although a lot of violence (for example the heart-eating scene) is suggested rather than actually shown. Still, as my father would say, this was a rattlin' good yarn!
Parent of a 8, 12, and 15 year old Written bydjljejm July 29, 2013

Great movie!

Although a bit long, I think this movie is pretty good. I really enjoyed the perspective from which the story is told, thanks to Johnny Depp. Unless people get Johnny Depp's subtle humor, they probably won't think it's very funny, but I really enjoy him. The language was a bit much, but what bothered me the most was the cannibalism - it was disgusting. For that reason, my kids under 15 won't be watching it.
Parent Written byImjustsaying July 16, 2013

Great movie....really!

I read the bad reviews but saw this movie since my son wanted to see it. I was a great movie, never was I bored once. It moved fast and the plot was actually good even though the elitist critics say it wasn't. It was about 20 mins too long but over all I really liked this movie.
Parent of a 11 and 16 year old Written byCollegeGirl_Kid... February 3, 2014

The Good and the Bad

This movie has been the target of some silly critic and social media agendas. The unbiased review of it is that it is a dramatic comedy (which means it's funny, but has equal parts serious), and that while there are certain scenes that definitely make this movie iffy on some level (such as the scene where the bad guy cuts out a beloved character's heart and eats it--which was HIGHLY unnecessary on so many levels...), I found that I really liked this movie overall...minus the cannibalism. In fact, that one thing is probably what will prevent me from actually buying a copy of the movie. However, the movie is a loose adaption of the original Lone Ranger, and Johnny Depp plays a character who, as is revealed by the other Native Americans, has lost his mind from grief. "His mind is broken" the chief says sadly, which contributes in a great deal to the bizarreness of his character. Please note, there are some supernatural / magic elements in this movie (just like in Pirates of the Caribbean). Since nature is supposedly out of balance, you have some creepy meat eating rabbits, and one horse that is so weird that it's funny. It is not supposed to be historical fiction. Tonto and the Lone Ranger never existed, nor did the battles that took place. Overall, I think it was a great movie, beautiful effects, but the gory aspect of cannibalism--particularly one the human side--is going too far. The movie would have been much stronger without it. That's the only part that makes this movie not for kids. But, if you watch it wit your kids, make sure to cover their eyes at the part where it's coming, and you'll know it's coming. I'm a grown woman and I hid my eyes, as well as everyone else in the room.
Parent Written byGirlindaytona July 19, 2013

I loved it and will see it again!

I don't care what others have said, this was thoroughly entertaining! I loved it. Yes, it was a bit too long and caters to people who grew up with the Lone Ranger and are willing to allow a modern perspective. Much action. Good message. Good portrayal of the Indians. Funny. Armie Hammer did a good job and Depp was great as usual. In the end, after the long constant action scene, it didn't seem long at all.
Parent of an infant, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, and 18 year old Written bymykidsarebabies April 14, 2015

PRETTY MOVIE

SORRY
Parent of a 11 year old Written byKate S May 31, 2014

Best for 13 and up

I showed this movie to a group of 11 year olds and I wish I had chosen another film. After the kids said "This is really violent.," I started watching. The cast is great, the story is interesting, but there are some very violent scenes. Unfortunately, the movie goes too far with some of the disturbing scenes including a massacre of Native Americans. And, yes they could have made this movie 30 minutes shorter.