Parent reviews for The Lorax

Dr. Seuss classic is cute, but watch for product tie-ins.

Adult Written bystuffing13 March 4, 2012

I wish I knew

The movie was cute and not too far out of the realm of the book. However, based on what I read from this site's review, I formed the opinion that there weren't really any scary moments. I chose to take my 4 year old and even though she tells me now that it wasn't scary, there were quite a few moments that she ended up in my lap or covering her eyes; thunder and lightning before the lorax shows up, when the onceler first looks through the window, and some of the intimidation moments from the bottled air guy - I'm sure there were more. Nothing lasted long and everything ends well, but if you have a sensitive child, there may be a moment or two with their face in your shoulder. The SCARIEST part was actually one of the previews for a movie called "ParaNorman". It's a cartoonish movie about a kids who sees dead people. As you can imagine, his dead friends are not all nice looking and the preview was quite scary!
Parent Written bybaltimore joe silk March 4, 2012

Junk Food for your Eyes and Ears

This movie is not for children who can't already recognize that attitudes expressed in a film may not be appropriate or representative of real life. But every cloud has a silver lining: The film would be very good for teaching bad writing. Junk food makers spend their money on packaging, not nutritional content. It's cheaper and easier. That's what this movie is: A junk food version of Dr Seuss. Beautiful, to attract you, but empty, even negative at the core.
Parent Written bylogicaldad March 3, 2012

disapointing.

I just came back from watching this movie with my 5 year old kid. I will have lots of explaining to do. The movie go to an over reach attempt to demonize business man or the use of natural resources. I hope my kid does not feel guilty for sitting on a wooden chair as it's made of the corpse of a murdered tree. This kind of movie as they are highly political and never offer a constructive message as to using the planets resources responsibly (i.e. trees). Message in this movie is that you cut a tree you are a murderer.

Parent Written byOrson1989 March 21, 2012

Give me a Break

The film is not suggesting that your child should feel guilty for sitting in a wooden chair. The film's message is that people should use natural resources in a responsible way and not destroy the planet in the process of using those natural resources. Think of it like drinking. Drinking occasionally is fine and can be good for your health. Being an alcoholic, however, is an overuse of alcohol and is not good for your health. The film's message is telling kids they should not be "alcoholics". Using natural resources in a responsible way is a message that every parent should want his or her child to understand.

Parent Written bykoj1 March 3, 2012

Disappointed!

Disappointing! It was too long, the first half was too slow, and those with an adopted child need to be aware of an insensitive comment on the theme.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byAidens_Mommy January 30, 2013

Finally a kids movie I feel good about!

I was very (pleasantly) surprised by this movie! I am so used to movies that attempt to desensitize our kids so I was very happy to see this movie had a great story and left the theater feeling very good about it. Even the other Dr. Suess movies have questionable scenes (The Cat in the Hat, The Grinch) so I was expecting to see some things in this one that I would have to explain to my six year old, but nope, this one is an actual kids movie! But don't think that parents won't like it, too.. I loved it! I have re-watched it several times with my son and the end makes me choke up every time. =)

Adult Written bySTRIDER9 April 7, 2013

See it please?!

This is a sweet movie with a heart touching message. Makes me wish i could do more in this world to help!!!!!!!!!!

Parent Written bydrothschild0 March 4, 2012

The Lorax is too scary for little kids.

If you are protective about what your children watch on tv, DO NOT take them to see The Lorax. There were two previews that were terrifying and the movie itself was scary. We had to leave 30 minutes into it. Totally disappointing...
Adult Written byBperk23 October 30, 2012

Environment

The movie is a great learning movie about the environment and why trees are important to us.

Educator and Parent Written byCindyBroxbeath April 16, 2012

Good

Amazing move, me and my boyfriend Steve saw it.

Drinking, drugs & smoking
Parent Written byJessiesmom March 5, 2012

Watch out for the trailer of ParaNormal -- too scary for kids!

Just a warning to parents -- My movie theater showed a trailer to ParaNorman which totally freaked out my kids -- 1st and 3rd grade. Especially my 1st grader who only watched a second of it before covering her eyes for the remainder. The image stuck in her mind and came back to her when it was time to go to bed. She was crying that she couldn't stop thinking about it. And this is unusual for my daughter. And I know the movie is rated PG, but they are marketing this film to first graders -- her teacher read the book to the class the week of the opening and they made the trees as a craft. I think the movie was fine for her to watch, but the trailer was not!

Parent of a 5, 8, and 11 year old Written byCassidy D. May 5, 2013

3 Cheers for the Furry Orange Peanut!!!

This is my girls favorite movie! They think it is hilarious and love talking about "The Furry Orange Peanut". It has a really good message about protecting nature and we have created "The Lorax Garden" at our house. It is a great movie and my girls are always reading the book. This movie is amazing!

Adult Written byjenovaii March 7, 2013

Sexism and Abuse

My major problem with this movie was the fact that Ted was doing everything to attract Audrey. He didn't care about trees or the environment or anything, and this was even called out during the film in a quite sexist remark from the Once-ler's side: "If a guy does something stupid one time, it's because he's a guy. If he does the same stupid thing twice, it's because of a girl." Then, at the end, it seems like Ted suddenly grows a conscious and decides to plant the seed for the greater good of the town. That's not the only inexplicable 180 that characters tend to do. The relationship between the Lorax and Once-ler also seems a bit contrived, with Lorax trying to get rid of and then saving Once-ler and...that kind of ends their character development. Where the relationship between Once-ler and his family could be explored, it is merely explained away and falls flat. This could have been a series of empowering scenes detailing how controlling and "poisonous" relationships, even within families, are not healthy, but instead it's overlooked. So: Sexism, ignoring abusive families, not developing potentially great characters. I'm sure there is a message about polluting and conservation in there, but it seems random and tacked-on rather than the main focus. Read the book instead.

Parent of a 3, 9, and 11 year old Written byhomeofplay March 7, 2014

So amazing!

Loveeee the constant message of being kind to the Earth. It's so strong + being promoted throughout every scene. This is an absolute favorite!

Parent of a 4 year old Written byThomasMommy March 8, 2012

Great movie, great message!

The movie was great, not a moment of it was scary for the 3 children (age 4- 7) we took. My 4 year old son loved it, and we've read the book about a half dozen times since seeing the movie. It's bright animation kept them entertained the whole time. The music was fun - though I would say the lyrics are aimed at the parents more then the kids. The only negative I can give is that the previews chosen for the movie were from Tim Burton and his style is rather dark and scary for some (though again, my son is looking forward to seeing Frankenwiener in October). I was actually moved enough at the end of the movie to shed a tear - and when the movie finally ended, the audience I was in, on opening day, actually clapped. I can't say I have ever been to a movie where people clapped at the end.

Parent of a 18+ year old Written byCheese and Bread June 1, 2016

Giving 1 star is being generous, if I could I'd give it 0

Worst animated movie ever

Adult Written byJEDI micah March 30, 2012

SO CUTE!!!

This movie should have been rated G, because I didn't see anything innapropriate for little kids. It is a cute movie for kids of all ages and it teaches people to have a care for the environment! The songs are also nice to sing along, and the voice cast is excellent! If Dr. Seuss was alive, I think he would be impressed with this movie!

Parent of a 12 and 12 year old Written bymamakinzy March 26, 2012

Lorax entertains

I brought my older kids to see this movie because we are all Seuss fans in our house. The kids and I enjoyed it and found the animation to be great and the music catchy. They enjoyed the woodland creatures and Grammy, voiced by Betty White. (she was a highlight!) That said, I was struck by the very distinct sides in the movie- you either loved the earth and protected it or you had a complete disregard for it. While the book reminds us all to care for and respect the environment, the movie is a bit polarizing and doesn't show that corporations can give back or do some good too. I would not recommend the movie to children under age 6 because there were some scary moments in the movie that may be upsetting to the little ones in your life. The movie also had strong displays of consumerism, which is clearly important to the storyline, but parents should take note. I do think there are positive messages that come from The Lorax: from protecting the environment, to respecting others and standing up for what is right, I think parents will have a lot of good things to talk about with their kids when the movie is over.

Parent Written bymamabird2012 March 25, 2012

A brightly colored, good humored story about the Golden Rule... :)

I took my almost 5 year old to this movie and I'll tell you why I'm glad I did... Not only is it a whimsical portrayal of Dr. Seuss, but it was done perfectly to the books he created. It's a story about what happens when we as consumers forget about the enviornment. Now, I'm no tree-hugging hippy by any stretch of the imagination, but it's such a great story about what happens when we take and take and take but never give back to our surroundings. My daughters eyes were lit up like Christmas trees at the animation. After the movie, we had a discussion on why it's important to save power and recycle, and how it helps the little fishes and bears and trees around us. She's been turning the water off while she brushes and helps out making sure the lights are off in her room if she leaves it. These are all small things we all should be doing anyway (if not to reduce mommy and daddy's power bills). We also enjoy reading Seuss books at bedtime and picked this one up to add to our collection. :) All in all, I thought the story was wonderful. It was a little long-winded in some parts, but it captured what Seuss was looking for when he wrote the book all those years ago.

Parent Written byJLFM April 1, 2012

Good Time Waster

Movie Score: 5/10 Family Friendliness Score: 9/10 Summary: The movie wasn't very good, but my kids loved it, and there's almost no questionable content.