Parent reviews for The Lorax

Dr. Seuss classic is cute, but watch for product tie-ins.

Adult Written byjerry d. March 4, 2012

Junk Food for your Eyes and Ears

This movie is not for children who can't already recognize that attitudes expressed in a film may not be appropriate or representative of real life. But every cloud has a silver lining: The film would be very good for teaching bad writing. Junk food makers spend their money on packaging, not nutritional content. It's cheaper and easier. That's what this movie is: A junk food version of Dr Seuss. Beautiful, to attract you, but empty, even negative at the core.
Adult Written byOrson1989 March 21, 2012

Give me a Break

The film is not suggesting that your child should feel guilty for sitting in a wooden chair. The film's message is that people should use natural resources in a responsible way and not destroy the planet in the process of using those natural resources. Think of it like drinking. Drinking occasionally is fine and can be good for your health. Being an alcoholic, however, is an overuse of alcohol and is not good for your health. The film's message is telling kids they should not be "alcoholics". Using natural resources in a responsible way is a message that every parent should want his or her child to understand.

Educational Value
Adult Written bytreemcleaf July 25, 2020

A Tree-refic Film!

This film has brought peace to many of my people. The message is phenomenal. As a tree the Lorax is a good buddy of mine. I think Danny Devito did an amazing job portraying the character on screen. If you haven’t seen this movie yet than I don’t know what’s wrong with you. Every single aspect of this movie is perfect!

Adult Written byJackson34 May 3, 2019

Great movie, great message

The story is, of course, prophetic and was ahead of its time originally. The movie is now super contemporary with its environmental message. The music is great, the animation is super fun, and the message is so important.

Includes some danger for the main character as he is stuck on a racing river, but he's fine in the end. When he loses his way, he begins to take his new animal friends for granted and his horrible family who comes to town are very money driven and are mean to the animals and disrespect the forest. As the story goes- there is lots of cutting down trees until they are all gone, the animals have to leave because there is no habitat for them left.

The movie is clever for adults too. The "bad guy" O'Hare is greedy and evil but there is not outright violence.

There is too much romance for the age- the young present-day character is "in love" with the girl next door and there is a bit too much of that story line. But overall, it's a great movie with a great message and music.

Parent of a 5 and 7-year-old Written byloved February 27, 2015

Not as good as the book or the original cartoon

The computer animation may look beautiful, but that's about the only real substance to be found. The environmental message can get lost in the rather bizarrely structured songs. The character are not the least likable, in that they're not very developed. The only real character with depth is the Once-ler, whom is more likable as a deranged corporate monster than as a creepy, hermit-like man. The film itself is not very coherent, and drags about after the first few songs. It seems more like it would've been appropriate as a television special, like the original, and not a theatrical film. And despite being an anti-corporate film, as I stated, the corporate/consumerism scenes are the only memorability to be found.

Parent of a 5-year-old Written byveyi March 12, 2012

Sorely Disappointed

This is my 5-year old's review verbatim: "The movie was not as good as Horton Hears a Who. And, really it wasn't even as good as any movie we have seen. And, We don't think it's a good movie because Dr. Seuss didn't really make it. It was not entertaining enough and it was boring."

Mom's review: I'm not sure who this movie is actually targeted to. It is not adults, nor young children. I can't imagine that a teenager would sit through the story for very long. I was disappointed with this movie on its own, irregardless of the fact that it does not follow The Lorax (book) story line directly.

I'm pretty sure that the filmmakers were trying to bring the whole Walmart issue to light. But did they have to hit us over the head by having the greedy characters be Southern or having the head villain be an obvious anglicization of the Chinese machine that we all rely on for cheap goods?

I gave it two stars only because it is not the worst movie I've ever seen.

Educational Value
Adult Written bylillie22b January 11, 2021

My ultimate favorite movie!!

I am 19 now, and The Lorax has notably been my favorite movie since it first came out. The movie is goofy and uplifting with multiple musical moments that always get me to sing along.

Adult Written byAcrook28 November 24, 2020
I loved this movie because it just showed a positive message on trees and how we should save are natural resources.

Adult Written byMaya Kara November 4, 2020

Amazing Movie!

The Lorax is a classic! When it first came out, I watched it with my 5 year old. I highly recommend!

Adult Written byCosplaykat September 13, 2020
Adult Written byKim B. July 5, 2020

Great movie for Ariana and Vanessa

My daughters (6 and 8) Love this movie to pieces! They love the music and they think its great.

Adult Written byChels91 May 13, 2020

Not fit for small children..

My 3 year old recently found this movie and I didn’t think him watching it would be a problem. The only things he took away from this film was the song “how bad can I possibly be”, calling people idiot and weirdo... not too happy with this film. It’s message is lacking and includes a lot of violence. Wouldn’t recommend it.

Adult Written byBen W. March 26, 2020
Parent Written byTeamTomich4 February 9, 2020

Quashing greed and save the planet

My family enjoyed this movie as well as the book. Kids are age 6 and 8. Catchy songs that speak the truth about what is going on in the world re: pollution and the of abuse of our resources, greed, materialism, etc. Also, about how easily the people can be convinced of what they "need" while padding to the pockets of the fat cats. Good message and entertaining.

Adult Written bylatonja68 February 28, 2019

Dr. Seuss movie "The Lorax"

I loved this movie, "The Lorax" by Dr. Seuss for several reasons. First, I enjoyed the message in the movie. I feel it is important to take care of our environment and now our youngsters can understand why trees are so important. Also, I loved the scenery of the vibrant colors in the town of Thneedville, and how the colors changed to dull as the plot unfolds. Finally, I absolutely loved all the fun-loving characters in the movie. This movie is an educational and upbeat movie I know youngsters will absolutely love! I recommend this movie for the whole family!

Adult Written byclicklech August 24, 2018
Parent of a 10, 12, and 15-year-old Written byHendo H. U December 28, 2017

Great!

Harder for younger kids to understand the horrors of pollution. Some scary moments

Parent Written byEmma C. December 9, 2016

Budding environmentalism

Disagree with the other reviews. While there may be some issues with merchandising (I acknowledge this point) the movie itself is engaging and fun with a deeper message that even the youngest of children can understand. At the age of 4 my son was able to talk about deforestation and the consequences that this may have after watching this movie. It awakened in him a broader understanding of what sustainability might mean and the potential consequences of living in an unsustainable way.

Parent of a 10 and 11-year-old Written bymaddox121 February 20, 2016

TRUE age rating (G5 because kids under 5 would not understand the plot)

Sex-

Crushes

Violence-

The trees are destroyed

Language-

"Damn" is used once, but very brief.

Drugs-

None. It's a dr seuss film)

G5 for brief violence and mild language

Parent of a 3, 9, and 11-year-old Written byhomeofplay March 7, 2014

So amazing!

Loveeee the constant message of being kind to the Earth. It's so strong + being promoted throughout every scene. This is an absolute favorite!