Kid reviews for The Lorax

Dr. Seuss classic is cute, but watch for product tie-ins.

Kid, 12 years old April 27, 2020

Fun and exciting movie!

Until now, I enjoy watching The Lorax. Ted is on a mission to get a "real tree that grows out of the ground." He was warned by the O'Hare security to never leave town, but that didn't stop him. Ted is a good role model.
Great ending. Overall, it's a really good movie and kids who are at least five should watch this.

Kid, 9 years old May 11, 2021

This has a very good message!

This is great for all ages! I love this book based movie!

Teen, 17 years old Written byCool Stuff April 27, 2021

Some company sold bottled air?!

What a coincidence, Some "company" sold some bottled air to china,
and now they caused a big smog and polluted the air. CALLING IT "FRESH AIR" Btw the movie is awesome!

Kid, 9 years old April 17, 2021

good story for kids

The following content is slightly mature for ages three and above, Although this content is suitable for ages four and above, in my opinion. It has many reasonable thoughts that make kids think they have great Leadership! Which can result in strategies being made.

Kid, 5 years old April 4, 2021

Good adaptation of the book

A really well made adaptation of the book. It's a pity they didn't make the cat in the hat along these lines.
Teen, 15 years old Written byHarrypotterfanatic3 February 26, 2021

Great!

I liked this movie when I was a kid, and I still like it, to be honest! The songs are catchy, the message is important, and everything about this movie is great! It's one of my favorites to this day.

Role models: Audrey is the best role model because she actually cares about trees. Ted isn't a good role model because he only does this for Audrey. Oncie isn't a good role model either because he's a bit ignorant

Positive messages: it will tell you to care about forests more and protect the trees. It will also teach kids that you can always make a change if you care enough.

Education: none, except a brief mention of photosynthesis. I guess kids could learn to respect trees.

Violence: Oncie (The Once-ler) kills an entire forest of Truffula trees and sometimes hurts the Lorax.

Consumerism: there was a lot of promotion of other companies in the ads.

Sex: Ted only cares about trees because of Audrey, and is very much in love with her even though she is a few hears older than him.

Drinking, drugs, and smoking: none

Overall, a great movie! Just don't check out The Once-ler fandom and ignore every fangirl

Teen, 15 years old Written byregularreviewer January 12, 2021

Funny and heart-touching but there are some intentional parts that you can relate to.

I think the Lorax is a good movie that is PG, but the adversary is too much. He doesn't want people to leave the town, and also the town is bouncy and funny and unique-designed. The O' Hare company is very determined when it comes to chasing the boy. The company's "water" is... umm... idiosyncratic.

Sorry I couldn't finish the review! This review will be updated sometime in April.
Teen, 13 years old Written byPineappleQueen505 October 3, 2020

Doesn’t live up to the book (2 1/2 stars)

I would like to quickly mention that this movie neither deserves a 2 or a 3 out of 5 stars, so I am giving it a 2 1/2.
As much as I wanted to like this movie, I’m afraid I have more negative points than positive ones.
One of the largest problems for me is the casting choices, particularly Zac Effron as Ted. The deepness of the roughly 12-year-old boys voice is slightly unsettling and took me a while to get used to. Unfortunately, the movie seemed to choose their cast out of fame and not so much their suitability for the roles.
The plot also bothered me as it strayed so far away from the original books plot. I believe the makers of this movie could have made it a lot better if they made it more like the book and then make a few small changes. Instead, this movie feels more like a different environmental film with a few Lorax quotes and names in it.
The movie was also WAY too cringy for me in the parts with Audrey. Ted looked like a much creepier person when he was around her, wanting to find the seed so he could straight up MARRY HER, which is a bit weird. Even as a teen I struggled with these parts of the movie, so be prepared if you are watching with younger children.
Speaking of younger children, there are some parts of the movie which go unexplained. The movie can be very confusing and weird at times.
On a more positive note, I am guilty of loving some of the songs (particularly “How bad can I be”), and Thneedville looks gorgeous. The creators clearly spent a lot of time and effort into the city, and the creativity of every detail is just astonishing. The message of caring for the environment is really sweet and is present throughout the movie. Sadly, these are the only positive points.
I am disappointed to say that not even nostalgia could save this movie. Cringiness and constant confusion litters the movie, and the fact that the plot is only loosely based on the book really delivers the final blow. Die hard Seuss fans like myself will most likely not be pleased at watching this movie. However, it may be a fun family film to watch on Netflix if your children are older and a little more mature, and can handle the weird romance, etc.

Kid, 11 years old August 1, 2020

Good role models and educational and positive messages

I would suggest this to familys

Kid, 11 years old July 13, 2020

Cute, some scary stuff

A little darkness, budding romance.

Kid, 12 years old July 13, 2020

Fine on its Own, But The Emoji Movie Compared to the Book

Okay, so, I’m going to split this review up into two sections. One section is the parental guidance, and the other is the normal review, or quality.

Parental Guidance:

Okay, so, this is an Illumination movie that made a bundle at the box office. So what do you think? Of course it’s appropriate! Why is it rated PG? For the most out of nowhere reason for something to be rated PG. For brief mild language. Yeah. THE LORAX had brief mild language. And the funny thing is, it ACTUALLY DOES. Yep. It’s basically incomprehensible, but it’s in there! That’s not even that offensive, that actually hilarious! I mean, why? Well, I’ll tell you why. It’s because Pixar was going through their first Dark Age. They were basically only making sequels, and when they did make original films, they didn’t really seem to be normal Pixar standard. Pixar was actually the company that made the G rating cool again, and when they seemed like they might be starting to sink, all the companies tried to get PG ratings again. This movie’s solution? Throw in a swear word as out of nowhere as it was in Stuart Little. Anyway, other than that pretty funny history lesson, everything is “delightfully appropriate”, to quote Lemony Snicket. There’s… there’s just… nothing. I can’t think of a single inappropriate moment in the entire movie. I know this is super short compared to everything that I usually write, but that’s really all I have to say. Moving on, I guess.

Quality:

Okay, so, this movie should not have been as good as it was. It’s not even really that good, but when you compare it to the previous Dr. Seuss adaptations, that is to say, the two live action ones, this movie looks like Inside Out. (Horton Hears a Who is considered to be the best Dr. Seuss movie, which isn’t really a high honor.) And when I say it looks like Inside Out, it almost does. The animation is fantastic and really does look like Seuss’ world. Unfortunately, it’s primarily bogged down by the heavy-handed messaging, bland and generic characters, and lack of apparent respect for Seuss’ simple story, instead turning it into a big budget movie with a hypocritical message, considering Illumination’s numerous marketing stunts with and for the movie, including, but probably not limited to, iHop pancakes, Mazda SUVs, and a triple ad for the movie, the merchandise of the movie, and HP printers. Yeah. Dr. Seuss, everyone! Just head on down to your local iHop to experience the “timeless” tale! That’s another thing that really weighs this movie down. There are tons of dated pop culture references and mannerisms that will annoy anyone who has been on the internet since 2012. Also, as I mentioned earlier, very few of the characters have any real personality, particularly the two mains, whose names are… uh… Ted and, um, Audrey…? They’re so forgettable I barely even remember their names. As of now, I saw this movie around five days ago, and I remember basically every scene with them in it. I literally have no idea what either of their personalities are except for love interest for Audrey, and main character for Ted. We know more about the cliché characters than we do about our mains! There’s the embarrassing parent, who is embarrassing, the TOTALLY RADICAL grandma, who is TOTALLY RADICAL, and the generic corporate bad guy with no redeeming qualities, who is a generic corporate bad guy with no redeeming qualities. At least I know their personalities. They’re boring clichés, but at least they’re defined. However, I will give credit where credit is due. The sequences where the story of The Lorax is being told do mostly capture the spirit of the book. Sure, the Once-ler isn’t as interesting as he was in the original, and he is pretty dated, he’s still a fairly sympathetic character, and so is the Lorax. Before I end this review, I do have to say that the ending of the movie kind of ruins the ending of the original. Instead of ending on that subtle and powerful note of the boy, along with the young audience, being given a seed and a choice of whether or not they’re going to plant it, it ends with everybody immediately accepting the concept of trees and singing a forgettable and memeable pop song about it. It just… it just takes away from everything, and makes it a whole lot less powerful. Basically, The Lorax is a fine flick, unless you compare it to the original.

Score:
65/100

Kid, 10 years old July 11, 2020

let me explain everything (greed, movie trailers, etc)

This was the best movie ever!
a few things though
OH HARE: oh hare is a greedy guy for money however mr krabs is way more worse than oh hare
MOVIE TRAILERS: parents are saying there are scary movies in the trailers
other than these SUPER good movie
Teen, 15 years old Written bytheoncelerissexc July 10, 2020

H O T

Great movie to teach your little ones about the effects big corporations have on the environment! Might want to watch out for the Onceler though, he may be too sexy for some people to handle.

Kid, 10 years old June 6, 2020

Cute Kids Movie, Deep Meaning

I think this is a pretty good movie! It mostly matches the book, plus it has some catchy songs. I don't think it is very scary for more than a few brief moments sometimes. I think it has some good messages about using natural resources responsibly and keeping promises. I also think it is funny at times. I have watches multiple times and I highly recommend it. Thanks for reading and I hope this helped you decide if this would be a good movie for you and your family!

Kid, 10 years old May 11, 2020

the lorax

this movie is great and has a brill cast and the animals are soo funny

Teen, 15 years old Written byBigfan....1515 April 29, 2020

This is the worst show ever/ really green peace

This show is not a show for anyone it’s the most green peace show in the world and don’t think this is a fun show that anyone should watch
Teen, 13 years old Written byChristianSoldier April 29, 2020

Too goofy to hold any lasting values

This movie was silly, on top of ridiculousness, on top of goofiness, on top of more silliness. How do you grasp any morals when your villain is like, 3 and a half feet tall, you have a bigger, older Barb-a-loot bear who is less responsible than the littler ones, and the whole thing is intertwined with marshmallows!
Yes, there were some morals, but I'd say they all got mostly bogged down in the midst of all the silliness. I'll throw a bone, though: the songs were pretty good.
Kid, 11 years old February 2, 2020

OK

The Lorax is a OK movie. I think the book and the app are better. I would have rated it 2 stars honestly but I loved it as a little kid so 3 stars. It ruins the book but nostalgia kept me from giving it a bad rating.
Kid, 12 years old June 25, 2019

Amazing

First had my doubts but it is now my favourite movie, I've watched it around 7 times in a 5 day period it's an amazing film with a good storyline and moral, highly recommend it!

Kid, 7 years old April 27, 2019
Good message in the movie - you should always be good to the environment.