Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

Outstanding, but much violence and scariness.

Adult Written byjcaron June 6, 2014

Make them read the book first

These films, although great, need more explanation for young minds. The original work by Tolkein is too immense to fully communicate on screen, and there is more hollywood sensationalizing of the plot in these films. That said, they continue to be very good films and stick very close to the literary plot. For kids i think its important to read the book for the literary experience, and to better understand the themes, and the reasons for the violence depicted in the movies. The themes of greed, courage, the snare of having too much information, and the message to be wary of technology are much better developed in the book; as well as Tolkein's masterful exploration of death through symbolism and the interaction of mortal and immortal characters in the same world. I think reading the book first will help kids to get the correct messages out of the plot rather than focusing on all the "action" and violence as the main attraction.

Parent of a 12 and 18+ year old Written bytbaudler1410 April 19, 2009

Best of the Best, but exceptionally intense violence and scarriness

Great Movie and very well done but excessive violence and grissly images should make the R rated range

Parent Written byStepMomSterToo January 11, 2011

Awesome

Love this movie. It's a great tale, and I would watch it with anyone who loves fantasy. A lot of battle scenes, too violent for young kids. But very good movie for teens and their parents.

Parent of a 18+ year old Written byCheese and Bread May 19, 2016

In the the top 10 best movies of all time

Adult Written byViffer March 17, 2011

Perfect for 11+

Love this film, very accurate to the books. The film lotr trilogy is aimed at a younger audience than the books, I'd be happy with my kids watching it from age 11, but not any younger. The Hobbit (prequel to lotr) book is perfect for this age.

Adult Written byPollyRoger April 9, 2008

There's a reason it won all those Oscars...

My favorite movie of the trilogy. I don't even want to count how many times I've seen it. My sister (who was 9, at the time) and I saw this three times in theaters alone. It's a wonderful ending to the trilogy, and makes the viewer wish there were more to come. Again, no sexual content or modern-day cursing, but strong violence, enough to have, in my opinion, earned an R-rating. Overall, words do not do this movie justice. It's suitable for anyone, except kids who can't handle the intense violence.
Adult Written byDerekthecleric May 20, 2017

Technically great, but not quite as good as everyone says

Fast-paced, chillingly powerful, and technically fantastic, but it really goes over-the-top with glorifying violence and simplifies the plot into a more straightforward good vs. evil plot than Tolkien's book. (my review for all 3 Lord of the Rings movies)
Adult Written bysommone r. January 1, 2017

very violent

this movie is violent and gory even more violent as deadpool even more violence than game of thrones

Adult Written byanonymousg October 20, 2015

This movie is outstanding! But it's not for everyone

Let me tell you, this is a fantastic, well made movie. The finale of Peter Jackson's epic trilogy leaves everything on the table and it does not disappoint. However, because of the grand scope and epic nature of the film, that also means the film does not hold any punches in regards to violence and disturbing content. Hideous creatures known as orcs have a disturbing, zombie-like appearance. Allies and foes alike are impaled, shot, and sliced in brutal fashion. Fortunately, the film skims on sex and language, but does contain some minor, celebratory drinking. It's a great film, but contains much violence and frightening imagery.

Adult Written byTheDarkKnightFalls May 9, 2015

The Lord Of The Rings - The Return Of The King

The epic conclusion to The Lord Of The Rings focuses on Frodo and Samwise's epic quest to destroy The One Ring. This film took me 4hrs to watch, mainly because of me taking breaks throughout the film. This is the most violent of the series, and the story was way to complicated for me to understand what is actually happening. This film mixes action with fantasy in this epic conclusion. The duration of this film is 3hrs 21mins, and the Extended Edition is 4hrs 23mins. That's 1hr 2mins of Extended Scenes. This is an amazing film for kids who are at least 10 years old. The best conclusion ever! A Great Film, Enjoy. My Classification: M - Some Violence

Adult Written byAmeliaKaderWood June 22, 2009

Epic, Brilliant and all other words to describe an awesome film!

This film was really awesome!! Very epic and brilliant, but perhaps it isn't wise for little kids to watch it, unless they can handle seeing some gore and icky-looking orcs. The story line was very good, specially since it's based on a great book trilogy. I think those who plan to watch this film, should watch all 3 movies instead-because seeing it all gives more magic and brilliance to the whole thing. I highly recommend this film, among the entire trilogy, because it would blow your brains out! Every one acted really well, and the directing of Peter Jackson was very well done. I give it 5 stars all in all, but I must warn again about some gore.

Adult Written bythewittyman27 April 9, 2008

lotr rox ur sox!

this movie wuz awesum!
Adult Written byAwesomeness142 May 25, 2015

The best!

This is my favorite of them all. It is a lot more violent than the first and second movie. There are some scary images such as ghosts, goblins, and huge beasts that trample everything in their path.

Adult Written bychristian2011 December 23, 2012

The greatest / final sequel of the LOTR Trilogy. Without a doubt.

In terms of incredible visuals, characters, film making, and special effects, it definitely deserves the 11 Academy Awards. The fight sequences are amazing and thrilling to watch, and the creature development makes it seem so realistic, it's like you a part of it. The heroes and villians are perfectly portrayed (brave and loyal) yet (scary and grotesque). However, this is the most violent LOTR sequel, but the violence isn't that graphic and gory like R-rated films, but it is intense and sometimes frightening. This is definitely one of the best fantasy-action films I've seen, which the content is made even suitable for a whole family to experience and enjoy.

Parent of a 12 year old Written byWeeklybob December 26, 2010
I haven't watched the entire movie, but at my nephews' house,we watched the extended edition(seperated on two discs). We watched the beginning, the end, and a few battles in between. I only watched those parts and I could tell what was going on.(I also watched the first one, so that helped me.) The Only parts that really disturbed me were smeagol eating the fish, somebody falling from about 300 feet above the ground into a spike and drowing, and Frodo's finger getting bitten off. (Getting bitten off is the scariest part). There is one part in which they cut off someone's head, but there was no blood.(But he has pretty mean lookin' teeth). The only other part you might find objectionable, is they have a drinking game.(The last one standing up wins,)and they smoke. But that's what they did back then. But overall it was a wonderful, beautiful movie.

Adult Written byNassir L. January 6, 2018

Intense movie with a lot of fight scenes

This last opus of this memorable trilogy concludes the story of Middle Earth and the quest to destroy the ring of power. Scarier than the first two with extreme battle scenes, it might not be suitable for children under 10.
Adult Written byBenjamin S. April 19, 2017

Very excellent trilling finish to a wonderful trilogy

One of the best movies I've seen, very clean. The violence is there but never over excessive. Wonderful role modelling and clear good vs. evil plot. Thirteen and up just because the plot is very complicated and there's a lot of camera switches. no language, no sex, a very small beer scene , and no profanity at all. Just make sure to watch the first two first.

Adult Written byNikeswoosh99 September 16, 2012

Classic movie should all kids should see it

Not much more violent than the other two parts of the trilogy. It has a lot of fantasy violence but it is not applicable to the real world so there's no real harm in watching it. My only reason for rating it as a pause for 4 and under is because they need to be able to follow the story.

Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

Award winning film!

Definitely the best of the year! Action-packed, well directed, wonderful effects, and the story line follows the book very well. Superb!!
Adult Written byRarityfan December 19, 2018

Do not miss this

I can't describe this, and you had to watch in cinema for the full effect. Can be too long and intense for some.