All parent member reviews for The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

Adult Written byuranus1945 June 9, 2009

CONATINS STRONG GRAPHIC VIOLENCE AND DISTURBING IMAGES

This has to be the best film I have ever seen. It also happens to be WAY to violent for a PG-13, much more than the others. CONTAINS SPOILERS: Gollum slowly chokes Deagol, about 30 seconds; (Saruman is stabbed twice, then falls hundreds of feet and lands on a pike, spraying blood everywhere; his murderer is shot by an arrow); Sam beats Gollum over the head with a frying pan, blood oozes out; (a man is shot by an arrow, then rolls down a flight of stairs); a large battle follows, hundreds die, Nazgul lift up soldiers and smash them against walls; a man is mortally wounded, he is coughing up blood when Gothmog takes a spear and smashes it brutally into his chest (not shown, but the tearing flesh and dripping blood sound and the man's gagging and sputtering is just as bad); hundreds are slaughtered on a suicide mission; the largest movie battle of all time begins, contains bloody violence throughout; severed, mutilated, gory heads fly over the wall; (a man is shot); trolls smash men into pieces; Frodo is stabbed, he foams at the mouth; Sam stabs Shelob, drenching his hands in blood; orcs eat alive men (and even women and children), very graphic and disturbing; a massive cavalry charge, the largest ever captured on film, decimates an entire army; a man burns himself alive, and jumps of a thousand foot cliff while on fire; Theoden is ripped in half when the Witch King throws his horse on top of him; his beast is slaughtered by Eowyn, blood and gore splatter everywhere; Eowyn suffers a bloody wound; (Gothmog gets mained 4-5 times before getting axed to death) all the orcs and there allies are wiped out, millions are dead after the battle, the field littered with blood and body parts; the orcs in the tower all kill themselves (in graphic yet creative ways); (Frodo is brutally whipped); another gigantic battle occurs; tens of thousands are killed in a giant earthquake; Gollum bites Sam on the neck and nearly kills Frodo by choking him, Sam slices his gut, Gollum knocks out Sam and bites Frodo's finger off, TONS of blood comes out; he later melts in Mount Doom along with the One Ring. PHEW! Other than that, its an awesome, incredible film that everyone should watch!
Parent of a 12 year old Written byWeeklybob December 26, 2010

I haven't watched the entire movie, but at my nephews' house,we watched the extended edition(seperated on two discs). We watched the beginning, the end, and a few battles in between. I only watched those parts and I could tell what was going on.(I also watched the first one, so that helped me.) The Only parts that really disturbed me were smeagol eating the fish, somebody falling from about 300 feet above the ground into a spike and drowing, and Frodo's finger getting bitten off. (Getting bitten off is the scariest part). There is one part in which they cut off someone's head, but there was no blood.(But he has pretty mean lookin' teeth). The only other part you might find objectionable, is they have a drinking game.(The last one standing up wins,)and they smoke. But that's what they did back then. But overall it was a wonderful, beautiful movie.
Parent Written byTheDarkKnightFalls May 9, 2015

The Lord Of The Rings - The Return Of The King

The epic conclusion to The Lord Of The Rings focuses on Frodo and Samwise's epic quest to destroy The One Ring. This film took me 4hrs to watch, mainly because of me taking breaks throughout the film. This is the most violent of the series, and the story was way to complicated for me to understand what is actually happening. This film mixes action with fantasy in this epic conclusion. The duration of this film is 3hrs 21mins, and the Extended Edition is 4hrs 23mins. That's 1hr 2mins of Extended Scenes. This is an amazing film for kids who are at least 10 years old. The best conclusion ever! A Great Film, Enjoy. My Classification: M - Some Violence
Educator Written byjcaron June 6, 2014

Make them read the book first

These films, although great, need more explanation for young minds. The original work by Tolkein is too immense to fully communicate on screen, and there is more hollywood sensationalizing of the plot in these films. That said, they continue to be very good films and stick very close to the literary plot. For kids i think its important to read the book for the literary experience, and to better understand the themes, and the reasons for the violence depicted in the movies. The themes of greed, courage, the snare of having too much information, and the message to be wary of technology are much better developed in the book; as well as Tolkein's masterful exploration of death through symbolism and the interaction of mortal and immortal characters in the same world. I think reading the book first will help kids to get the correct messages out of the plot rather than focusing on all the "action" and violence as the main attraction.
Adult Written bychristian2011 December 23, 2012

The greatest / final sequel of the LOTR Trilogy. Without a doubt.

In terms of incredible visuals, characters, film making, and special effects, it definitely deserves the 11 Academy Awards. The fight sequences are amazing and thrilling to watch, and the creature development makes it seem so realistic, it's like you a part of it. The heroes and villians are perfectly portrayed (brave and loyal) yet (scary and grotesque). However, this is the most violent LOTR sequel, but the violence isn't that graphic and gory like R-rated films, but it is intense and sometimes frightening. This is definitely one of the best fantasy-action films I've seen, which the content is made even suitable for a whole family to experience and enjoy.
Parent Written byNikeswoosh99 September 16, 2012

Classic movie should all kids should see it

Not much more violent than the other two parts of the trilogy. It has a lot of fantasy violence but it is not applicable to the real world so there's no real harm in watching it. My only reason for rating it as a pause for 4 and under is because they need to be able to follow the story.
Parent Written bypinkbailey9 December 13, 2011

Best series ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a great movie. I saw it when i was eight along with the rest . My dad puts the movie theater speakers all the way up and like when someone was about to get hurt i would freak cause i feel like im actually there but when i look its fine. ANyways mild violence but its fine. And I cant wait for the hobbit and im a girl
Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written bylitmom123 May 4, 2011

Know what your kids can handle

My two children watched this when they were only 8 and 9 and had absolutely NO negative repercussions. We did read the novels together first, so they knew where the story was going and nothing was a huge surprise. The only negative came from them being angry when the story deviated from the novels. As with all films and books, know your kids. It is one of our favourite movies of all times. We watch the trilogy once every year. :)
Adult Written byViffer March 17, 2011

Perfect for 11+

Love this film, very accurate to the books. The film lotr trilogy is aimed at a younger audience than the books, I'd be happy with my kids watching it from age 11, but not any younger. The Hobbit (prequel to lotr) book is perfect for this age.
Adult Written byMi3 February 2, 2011

good for mature 14 year olds and older

really good! graphic intese violence, not good for anyone 14 or under
Parent Written byStepMomSterToo January 11, 2011

Awesome

Love this movie. It's a great tale, and I would watch it with anyone who loves fantasy. A lot of battle scenes, too violent for young kids. But very good movie for teens and their parents.
Parent of a 10 year old Written bycrazydenza10 August 16, 2010

amazing but for teens
Adult Written byMovie Man December 11, 2009

The Greatest Achievement in Fantasy and in Grand Epics in Movie History.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is the single greatest achievement in film making of the new millenium. The acting: superb! The direction: outstanding! The story: breathtaking! The special-effects: mind-blowing! The battles: utterly moving and, quite frankly, awesome! PARENTS: Although this film, in my opinion, is a must-see, it is extremely violent for a PG-13. Battles include, fire, lots of gore, and scary images of monsters and orcs. Simply put, this is a great movie. I loved it and many others I know enjoyed it highly, and they don't usually like these types of films. I very highly recommend it! Thanks for reading - Movie Man
Parent Written byPlague December 3, 2009

Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

I true masterpiece and a beautiful finale to the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Peter Jackson will surley go down in movie history as the god of Fantasy.
Parent of a 9 year old Written byjaredfaux August 11, 2009

a heart warming film for ages 13 and up

an outstanding finish to an amazing trilogy. my only concerns were the gore,(many impaled bodys, severed limbs, much ) it had great role s and an amazing plot. at one scene, smeagle bites of frodos finger in a y, gory way. lots of peril and shed. characters screaming for lost ones, and the aftermath of a huge battle is shown explicitly. some scenes can be skipped to make it great for your young ones.
Adult Written byAmeliaKaderWood June 22, 2009

Epic, Brilliant and all other words to describe an awesome film!

This film was really awesome!! Very epic and brilliant, but perhaps it isn't wise for little kids to watch it, unless they can handle seeing some gore and icky-looking orcs. The story line was very good, specially since it's based on a great book trilogy. I think those who plan to watch this film, should watch all 3 movies instead-because seeing it all gives more magic and brilliance to the whole thing. I highly recommend this film, among the entire trilogy, because it would blow your brains out! Every one acted really well, and the directing of Peter Jackson was very well done. I give it 5 stars all in all, but I must warn again about some gore.
Adult Written bygreen_goblin May 9, 2009

Violent, brutal and scary.
Parent of a 12 and 18 year old Written bytbaudler1410 April 19, 2009

Best of the Best, but exceptionally intense violence and scarriness

Great Movie and very well done but excessive violence and grissly images should make the R rated range
Parent of a 1, 9, 10, and 14 year old Written bythejokerspencil March 17, 2009

Brilliant!

Everyone must be saying this is the best of all time and they are correct! I loved the heck out of htis movie the visuals,sets, editing, directing, acting it was a beautiful film! You won't believ eyoru eyes! I say be 15 to see this to appreciate teh effort and technicals and artistics and especially the music. Best Picture worthy.
Adult Written byLunamar April 9, 2008