Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for The Lost Medallion: The Adventures of Billy Stone

Formulaic adventure film for kids is fun but a little scary.

Parent of a 8 and 10 year old Written bykandrews8383 April 12, 2015

Not too many movies with such a positive message

If you aren't into movies that suggest a higher being, and that everyone has a purpose, than this movie is not for you. I thought it was a great adventure and so did my children. Sure, it isn't an emmy award film but it was still a fun movie. There are a few parts where the villian kills people in a brutal way, but no gore, no cussing and absolutely nothing super inappropriate. As long as you explain to your children that it is just a movie, you will be fine. Great message that there is a purpose for everyone!

Parent Written byN T February 25, 2018

Almost A Wholesome Family Movie

It's really hard to truly find wholesome family movies or any type of content that is appropriate for children these days. The Lost Medallion comes pretty close. No crude behavior, no bad language and no political agendas in the movie. There is however a religious message about God and his love for everyone. It's not overbearing but it is there - depending on your point of view, this can be a positive or a negative. It's more heartwarming than anything because one of the characters is trying to make a group of orphans feel better and tells them God has a plan for them and he cares for them. It's at the end of the film. It was also refreshing to see a little girl character who wasn't also a kick-butt, ninja-gladiator who could take down a group of muscle-bound men, you know, what we normally see if film and tv. She's smart and independent, she helps save the day at one point and I believe she does punch someone, but theres also a point where she her needing help. TV and films currently program young women to be strong and independent, not needing help from anyone especially boys and men, so it was almost odd to see her playing the "damsel in distress" in one scene. There's a little bit of ageism with one of the character who states he is an "old" man once or twice but he redeems himself later by busting a few karate moves. My biggest issue with this film is the violence. And I don't mean the sword-type fighting. There are several deaths in the film which was surprising considering the overall "G-rating" of the story. I was surprise to see characters die, my six year old hid his face under his blanket and my ten year old said, "Oh my God, is he gonna die!" or "Hey, there's killing in this movie!". The main character (a child) also gets punched in the face (by an adult, the villain) which I also thought was inappropriate. As a parent of three boys, I find myself more accepting of violence if there's no crude behavior, bad language or political agendas in film. And that's sad, because I'd rather there not be any killing in my children's shows as well. But its a trade-off sometimes. Violence is black and white - Easy to tell your kids, killing is wrong. Fighting is wrong. So it's less complicated to explain these types of behaviors in tv and film vs. the subtle programming of other behaviors we see in our kid's content. And that's why I say The Lost Medallion is almost a wholesome family movie. Except for the issues I mentioned, it's the closest thing you're going to find. Because of the killing in the movie, I recommend this film for middle school aged kids and up. If there were no killing, I'd say 6 years old and up.

Adult Written byChristlray December 12, 2014

A family-friendly enjoyable "Indiana Jones" type of movie

Our kids 10 (boy) and 9 (girl) really enjoyed this movie. We did too. It does have some violence but nothing gory. One main character dies from an arrow but no blood was shown. The bad guy uses poison on his fingernails to grab people's necks and thus stab them with the poison. Then they just fall over (and supposedly die). The main characters (kids) do some martial arts type fighting. The acting was better than I thought it was going to be; I've definitely seen worse on our quests for family friendly movies!! The movie was a touch confusing but I still recommend it for an interesting and engaging flick. It was clean and didn't have any sexual innuendo nor swear words. I heard "Oh my gosh!" once. But there would be some scary images and intense scenes for younger kids. It was enjoyable to watch together and my son was on the edge of his seat!
Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written byJulie St-F August 12, 2017

They probably could have gotten their message across without the racial stereotypes

My kids picked this movie from Amazon Prime. Although as an adult, there is a very clear Christian subtext, my (non-Christian) kids totally missed that. What really stood out was the heavily dated racial stereotypes throughout the movie. Like, it makes 30 year-old Indian Jones moves look progressive. Basically, a couple white kids arrive, and show a tween tribal king that he's been a huge jerk, and then act out their white saviour complex by saving the tribal villagers from a nefarious, heavily racialized evil-emperor wannabe type. For good measure, there is a wise old asian man who speaks in proverbs to provide some sage advice to the kids. But even he is a trope. the messages of "it's what's inside that counts," and "find strength within you" aren't specific to one culture, and there was no reason for this story to rely so heavily on dehumanizing stereotypes.
Parent Written byAllison S. August 18, 2016

Religious message does not tie into the actual story

Be aware that the religious message at the end and scattered throughout is patriarchal. The message is tacked onto the story by the narrator and stands out like it's part of another story, not incorporated into the main plot. Acting is meh. The female character is portrayed as scared and screams a lot, with the boys coming to her rescue. The darker-skinned "natives" are ruled by a white boy. Plot is weak. But my kids loved it. Parents not so impressed.