Parent reviews for The Martian

The Martian Poster Image

Twists and turns that keeps you in your seat

After watching Interstellar I am forever apprehensive about seeing Matt Damon in space. What is his "real" motivation? But he establishes that he is a different character, but similar to Will Smith I ask the question...isn't there anyone else that can fill that role? The film has a lot of action and keeps you on the edge of your seat...even when you are fairly confident you know how it will turn out. The journey is still quite engaging. Although I understand the impulse of wanting to know "where are they now?" I think the film ending panders to Hollywood sentimentality.

i love it

i love it it is really good it teaches us about mars

Stellar Space Flick

I would definitely consider The Martian among the best space films out there. Right alongside Interstellar and Gravity. It is also a great movie for the family to watch together due to its low violence and light swearing. The story is also not one of those spiffed-up science mumbo jumbo movies either, which is something I'm sure many older viewers appreciate. It seems like most of the science throughout the movie is fairly realistic, even if only remotely at times. Also, it is engaging all the way through. The plot is tense, dramatic (but not too much), and has great flow. That, mixed with an incredible cast makes The Martian a sure fire must see. I recommend not to wait on watching it.

Tense moments but really good

We watched this with our 8 and 10 year old. Our 10 yo loved it but our 8yo left about 3/4 of the way through. A bit too tense and themes were not engaging him. We loved it! So realistic - totally recommend. There was a few f$#@s and s*&^s but they were in context. The first 10-15 minutes were pretty tense and we had to watch it between our fingers because it was so realistic (scenes of managing a medical procedure on self).

The Martian Robinson Crusoe

It is great for kids who want to be space cowboys. Down to earth, yet keeps the wonder alive. I came away more determined to support space exploration. Mild language but I think most families use those words so loosely that omitting them sounds fake.