Adult Written byJakk May 19, 2011

Exciting, fun, and fine for teens - doesn't deserve the R rating

The Matrix is a classic action film that's great for teens, and in no way does it deserve an R rating. There are a lot of fist fights and shootouts here, but there's almost no blood and nothing graphic is ever shown. The violence in this film is stylized and intense, but is still easily within PG-13 territory. Moderate coarse language is used throughout the film, including the s-word. The music during the closing credits includes a song with stronger language (though this will go unnoticed by most viewers). There are two drug references and one sexual innuendo, but those are closer to PG than R. The film has positive main characters who are willing to sacrifice themselves to save others (though there is one rotten apple in the bunch), and the film contains a lot of thought-provoking philosophical content that will interest intelligent viewers.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byjimanorris May 21, 2011

Good movie...

A little violent, but most teens should be able to easily tell it's not real.
Adult Written byCastellanos June 21, 2009

Classic Sci-Fi is a step above the average movie

The Matrix is one of the few films that you'll find in almost anyones movie library. This is no surprise however, because the Matrix is a step above many sci-fi movies like it. The plot does not falter at any point during the film and the acting is superb. The shootouts are exhilarating and the special effects were ground-breaking. I'd recommend the Matrix to everyone. Action fans will be satisfied by the violence and people looking for something more than just action will also be pleased by the ideas and questions that the Matrix raises. Parents should know that even though the Matrix is rated R, it is on the softer side of the R rating. There are lots of guns and shootouts (although mostly bloodless), a passionate kiss, and a couple of s**ts and damns.
Parent of a 5, 9, and 12 year old Written byThoughtfulDad March 20, 2010

Amazing film for thoughtful young adults

It's impossible to talk about the Matrix and kids without discussing the violence portrayed in this film. This film depicts martial-arts fighting scenes, point blank shooting and machine-gun volleys of destruction with a vividness that cannot be down-played. My wife and I are in a heated debate about whether or not this film is appropriate our oldest of three children. My 12 year old is growing up in a culture that provide 12 year-olds with a near limitless connectivity to the big, big world of the Internet. There are very few parents that have adequate technical skills to fully monitor / constrain access to the Internet from an averagely adept 12 year old. Personally - I'd rather pick my battles (no pun intended) and be there for my kid as he's growing up. Waiting until he's 17 and just about to head out the door… I don't think so. I happen to be a science fiction fan. Over the years, I've found a lot of joy in some of the wonderful stories, messages and mind-bending philosophies that are the hallmark of great science fiction. The Matrix is one of the works of science fiction that captures a lot of the greatness from different works across the genre: like a "highlight real". At the centerpiece of this film are characters that are filled with goodness, human self-doubt and in the end, a heroic commitment towards positive goals. In the review under the "Families Can Talk About" section above - the reviewer does a nice recap of some of those classic science fiction themes that find their way into The Matrix. Based on where my son is, I believe that this is going to lead to a lot of great discussions between the the two of us. I do not believe that the graphic violence will be part of those discussions. If you follow the plot of the film, the violence in this film occurs in a computer generated virtual-reality - not to "real" people. If this concept is too much to understand for your child, then I wouldn't recommend the film at this time. My feelings on this front are greatly influenced by the fact that my son is an extremely kind and thoughtful person - even more so when considering his age. I think this film offers more common ground for the two of us to engage than it will be a bad influence on his development. I don't know if I'm going to get agreement from my wife for another 5 years, but I do know I look forward to sharing it with my kid - whenever that happens and do hope that it's not too far in the future.
Adult Written bymoviemaker201 August 20, 2012

Was I Having an Awesome Dream?

I LOVED IT!!!! This was by far the greatest Sci - Fi epic I've ever seen!!! The storyline is magnificent, the characters are in such variety, and the special effects are way ahead of it's time. The story follows Neo, a computer program designer/hacker whom recently started to receive messages on the computer pointing towards a man named Morpheus and his crew of rebels, who have been looking for him for a long time, believing he is the re-incarnation of their potential savior. They show him that our world is a fake one created by machines in order to hide the ugly truth: in the real world, machines have taken over, and are growing humans in fields as energy. Morpheus trains him to become "the one," and fulfill his destiny: destroy the machines and restore balance. (Ironically, the film's special effects relied almost entirely on computers.) Violence: 8/10 This is an action thriller that's not for the faint of heart. Thirty minutes into it, a man's lips melt together, people are shot at, and a centipede-like machine enters a man's belly button. (We later see it removed with a device and it's covered in a pink substance.) Later, several men are shot throughout the film, some of it bloodless, some of it quite graphic. There is a very entertaining martial arts scene taking place in a dojo. Numerous scenes include martial arts stunts and fights. Lots of explosions. We see a pivotal character tortured and pitiful. His eyes are red from crying. Language: 6/10 There are tons of curses, swears, and cusses. (S*** is most commonly used.) Sex: 5/10 A few passionate kisses. A crew member of Morpheus's crew named Mouse creates a virtual training reality in which a woman in red is used as a distraction. He later says that he can design a sex simulation with her for Neo. One of the crew calls him a digital pimp. We later see him looking at a skimpy photo of the woman in red. Consumerism: 0/10 None. Drinking, Drugs, and Smoking: 3/10 A pill is used as a choice in one scene: Pick the red one for the truth, pick the blue one to be oblivious to it. There's a brief drinking scene. Wine and champaign are shown on tables and enjoyed in a restaurant scene. MPAA Official Rating: Rated R for sci-fi violence and brief language
Adult Written byshadowx13 April 9, 2008

My All Time Favorite!

This movie has action for those action fans out there but it also has what most action movies don't have a deep message. This movie makes you ponder life diferently and think about the world and what it is becoming. At the end of the movie don't think about the amazing action sequences, think about what this movie is telling you.
Educator and Parent Written byJulieMom March 18, 2015

Definitely Sci-fi. Lots of action and violence little blood.

While I agree there is very little blood for all the violence of this film, there is other content that would warrant a warning for viewers. There is a LOT of "Jesus" or "Jesus Christ" used as swear words in this film. There are also several scenes with verbal or implied visual sexual content, such as Mouse making suggestive comments to Neo about hooking him up with the woman in the red dress, then later he is alone looking at the same woman's picture in little clothing. (He obviously has an obsession.) The last scene with sexual content is when Cypher has left the Matrix and is back on the ship. He is practically lying on top of Trinity's unconscious form, and I wondered if he was going to grope her or rape her, as he tells her Matrix persona that he thought he was in love with her. These things are plenty for me to warn against young teens and younger kids watching this movie.
Adult Written byGamesandMovieReview November 13, 2011

A low-end R-rated movie.

This movie was a very good movie, and if your kids want to see it, don't hesitate. It is rated R for some epic violence and scary images. Anyone will handle it, unless they are toddlers.
Parent Written byComicGamer February 5, 2016

Greatest movie ever created

This movie was great for my 7 year old. He is ok with super-hero-esque violence (flying through walls, fight scenes). He also understands that he should not try and re-enact things he sees on TV. Much more tame then any of the latest Marvel movies. That being said different children may get different things from this movie. This movie teaches children about perseverance. Neo is a great role model because he continues to fight for what he believes in even though he was told (from the Oracle) that he WILL lose, he ISNT special, and HIS friends will die.
Adult Written byMadMagician August 26, 2015

Wonderful, exiting, and deeply meaningful.

One of the best movies in existence; this belongs in the Criterion Collection. I think that as long as a little gun violence and dark/apocalyptic themes are okay then this is okay for you.
Parent Written byroshanb March 17, 2016

Does Not Deserve An R-Rating

Good movie and well-acting but the MPAA rating is solemly wrong!!!
Parent of a 5 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 May 28, 2012

matrix

Families can talk about the relationship between humans and machines, and why Smith says that the first Matrix program, creating the perception of a utopia-like society, was unacceptable to the humans. Their attempt to keep the humans compliant through happiness did not work, so they had to try again with the past "reality" of a stress-filled world. There are also issues of destiny versus free will and loyalty versus self-interest. Parents should think about raising the issue of violence in movies, and the impact it has on viewers, especially impressionable or disaffected ones, as well.
Parent Written byagenthappyman July 20, 2012

Too violent for teens

Lots of bloody stabbings and fights and shootings.
Adult Written by4Spice October 19, 2009

great sci fi movie

awesome movie great action truth is if you want to know how old you have to be to watch this movie it all depense on you if your more mature you can watch it at 12 if not i rate 15
Adult Written byHeroneSilverton April 9, 2008

Definitely should have been PG-13

Though this movie is pretty dated, the special effects are top notch. I was actually very surprised I was watching something that wasn't just made! There is quite a lot of violence, and it was particularly gruesome when the bug crawled in the protaganists belly button, but other than that, this movie should have been rated PG-13, because I have seen many PG-13 movies that are worse than this R one.
Parent Written byPerson!!!! September 2, 2011

You should let your eleven year old son watch it

its not that bad and perfect for eleven year olds with the initial SJG
Parent Written bykmball July 10, 2011

Fun with the kids

My 12 year old thought this movie was AWESOME. I think that watching this movie together is just fine so that a parent can skip or have the kids turn away when needed. If your worried then recored it on cable and it is edited for you.
Adult Written bymasterofthemovies March 18, 2011
tame by today's comparison. i originally saw this when i was 8 and i was fine with it. the violence has almost no blood, unless its a close up. aside from that its an incredible thrill ride that is very smart and a classic.
Parent of a 6, 10, and 17 year old Written bySmartViewer September 18, 2009

What do you need besides a miracle?

Lots of action. Action that may be violent, but okay for anyone 12 and up. This is a very similar movie to others made around or before this time, such as "Robocop," and "The Terminator." But it isn't a huge "bang, bang, shoot 'em up" like "Robocop." It is a super awesome movie with a very complex plot, but if your kids are at least old enough to understand it, I highly recommend it for them. Oh, by the way, here's a message form my oldest son - "KIDS CAN WATCH ANYTHING!" Like that's true. :)
Adult Written byryanasaurus0077 December 18, 2011

Silly raters, The Matrix IS for kids, too. Just not the younger ones.

In my first review, I explained in a nutshell why Halloween (1978) would likely be rated PG-13 today. This time, I'm going to explain why the MPAA overreacted a bit in rating The Matrix R. Sure, there's some sci-fi violence throughout (some of which has a little blood), and there's a song by Marilyn Manson at the end that repeats the infamous F word a few times, but there's a slight chance this could've slipped by with a PG-13 nonetheless. Although, I would like to remind those 10-20 that the Oracle is depicted smoking at least once (maybe even more, it's been a while since I last saw this). Of course, this is one film I didn't mind showing my younger cousin, so intensity of violence and moderate language aside this should be OK for 10-year-olds.