Parent reviews for The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones

The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones Poster Image

The one closest to books!

It's really amazing! JCB is literally the best Jace !!!! I can't believe he's jace inside and out in real life. I even hope he could play will herondale you know TID is better that TMI. But sadly...time flies...I'm frustrated that we would never see an epic work from shadowhunters world...

Great book, too many adult themes for my year boy.

LOVED IT.

I read all the books to this series before they came out with the movie. The ending isnt the same as in the book but close enough. I think the decision to not make the rest of the books into movies was the wrong decision. Currently watching the tv series and it's too into todays technology to be good enough. Also liked the actors/actresses. I think more needs to be made. Im curious how well they'd be able to follow the books.

Amazing!!!

This Movie is the best I have ever seen. From the details in the book, and the movie, they are almost similar. I love it. Please make another movie based of the books. Great job!!!

Better than the P.O.S. tv show

Granted this movie wasn't what a lot of people expected. I personally found it amazing. Jamie did an incredible job as Jace and so did the rest of the cast. The story wasn't perfectly lined up with the book, but a whole hell of a lot closer than the tv show, which by the way has a pretty "meh" cast. The acting was sub par and lazy in the show. Where as the movie didn't take long to suck me in and forget that it was all acting. If there were ever a wish I could ask for.. It'd be the second movie. The show was so much more of a let down.. Maybe with a little more intimacy too...the movie could get a little better reviews. Honestly, I would have killed to see a little more action between jace and clary...
some violent

Graphic violence and peril

* Spoiler alert * We started watching this movie with our 11 and 13 year olds based on the parent reviews, and it was a mistake. Even I didn't care for the graphic violence, complete with full sound effects. A menacing dog turns into a slithering demon-thing and chases a girl until she blows it up with a fiery explosion, a man is savagely beaten until he fesses up to something. When the scary mouthless guy meets the 2 kids at the cemetery, we finally turned it off. Maybe my kids are sensitive, but I am anticipating nightmares coming soon. CSM's age recommendation is way off here.

Gory, why would anyone want to watch stuff like that?

Way too much gore. I couldn't even finish the movie. Why people want to see stuff like that is beyond me. It should be classified as a horror movie.

Does not live up to the book at all. ):

Being a huge fan of the CoB book I had very high expectations for the movie. TMI is my favorite book series, to date, so I wanted a good solid adaptation. As far as adaptations go, the movie wasn't awful. There were lots of things that I didn't like about it, but it could have been worse. I feel like this is pretty much just a film for the fans of the book(s). If you watch this without knowing the details of the plot from reading it, you will be terribly confused. More on that in a minute.... The movie started off very well. I loved the first 15 to 20 minutes. Then we get to the part where Clary meets Jace and the movie is still good. I liked the part with Luke toward the beginning. Shortly after this though, Jace takes Clary to the Institute and it was kind of downhill from there. Now, I think the strongest points of the movie were the action sequences and the acting in general. The fight scenes were very good and entertaining and there were quite a few of them. The only fight sequence I didn't like was the ending battle scene. It it wasn't bad it just dragged on forever (at least 30 mins) and that made me not like it. The casting I was not to thrilled with, but the acting the cast provided was good overall. The actors I were not impressed with were Godfrey Gao (Magnus), Johnathan Rhys Meyer (Valintine), and Jamie Campbell Bower (Jace). Lilly Collins as Clary, Aiden Turner as Luke, and Robert Sheehan as Simon were all great. Definitely my favorites in the movie. The huge problem with the film was how the plot/background/character/world building was handled. They tried to add in some character background and some history behind Shadowhunters but it wasn't enough. And this is the reason why people will get so confused. I knew this would be a problem when I heard they were making a CoB movie, and I wasn't really surprised that the effort was being made to adapt it to film. But just think about it....this is a book that is nearly 500 pages long - it's loaded with world-building, character development/relationships, and it is just very detailed and intricate overall. How to make this into a movie? Yeah, it won't be easy.... The movie was over 2 hours long and it's still missing so many important details that are crucial to understanding. I wish there would have been less focus on making scenes that weren't critical (there mostly just to add humor or cool effects) and more focus on the story. There were also many changes to various scenes. Some of which were okay, others I did not like. I'm not going to get into that though. Apparently the CoA is going to be made. It will be interesting to see how they do with that now that the first movie has left so much "messed up" for lack of a better term. To conclude, if you love the book like me you will most likely be disappointed, and if you are not a fan or haven't read this book you might find it entertaining but won't understand much of the deeper meaning of the plot. Would't necessarily recommend it, but I'm not going to tell you not to watch it.