All parent member reviews for The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones

Parent Written byDan G. August 23, 2013

Perhaps not as 'teen friendly' as we are led to believe.

Perhaps OK for older teens. But the following items may be too inappropriate for those 16 and younger. The movie is very violent, more violent than the other 'teen friendly' vampire movies, although it is not graphically gory. The film also deals with topics of the occult; tarot cards are shown to be an actual path to obtaining knowledge. And one of the heroes of the story teaches that all churches are the same, and not all that compelling, either. There is also profanity. There is suggestion of homosexuality. One character appears to be a transvestite, and there is a sub-theme of possible incest. These are all adult themes that should be left in adult movies, not inserted into "teen friendly' movies.
Parent of a 8, 10, and 12 year old Written byBarry Saunders November 29, 2013

Be careful as it freaked my three kids

I use common sense media a lot and normally go under the age what parents say, but we had to stop this movie as my boy 8, girl 10 and boy 12 got freaked out by the dog seen 15 minutes into the move. My 8 year old watched and loved the latest transformer movie and parents say 13. This movie is very real to life and I recommend watching movie before letting your kids watch it. After watching whole movie there is no way of letting my 2 younger kids watch it. Also agree that there are all adult themes that should be left in adult movies, not inserted into "teen friendly' movies
Parent Written bymartha collins September 6, 2013

loved it!!

great movie
Parent of a 11 and 22 year old Written byMidwestMom September 3, 2013

Uneven adaptation of novel

Went with my 12-year-old daughter who adores this series. I've also read the first book and part of the second. We both thought that the movie was very uneven and not as true to the books as we might have liked (difficult at best given the dense detail/description in the novels). The first 1/2 -2/3 of the movie was non-stop breathless action/violence. Pacing really didn't allow for much in the way of character or coherent plot development. Think that it would have been very difficult to follow if we hadn't read the books. We both didn't especially like the first part and might have walked out if we hadn't read the novels. We both liked the last third of the movie. Much more in the way of paced character development and story. Quite a lot of violence--but not extreme gross out sort--more like heavy magic battle scenes for the most part. Not especially disturbing for my daughter --but know your child. Mine is not disturbed by this sort of thing (but other sorts of more personal threat bother her...)
Parent Written bymikli December 21, 2013

Gory, why would anyone want to watch stuff like that?

Way too much gore. I couldn't even finish the movie. Why people want to see stuff like that is beyond me. It should be classified as a horror movie.
Parent of an infant, infant, infant, 10, 10, and 18 year old Written byParentofwisdom August 26, 2013

Kissing, Violent, Some Language Movie That Dosen't Live The Book

I saw this with my two 10 year olds and my 18 year old was able to join us, haven't seen her since she went to collage. we all read the whole series and this movie just didn't live up to the book. some language and violence. some kissing too. disappointing movie. need a refund for 48 bucks. we all hated the movie, including my husband. this was only age-appropriate for my 18 year old, me and my husband. kidnapping wasn't supposed to be like that, nothing like that. always need a sister for my 3 infants, 1 is one week old, the other is a month older, the other is 2 months old. not letting them see a movie until they turn older.
Adult Written byslasher23 August 16, 2014

Parent of a 10 and 13 year old Written byHoodSiegal February 13, 2014

Graphic violence and peril

* Spoiler alert * We started watching this movie with our 11 and 13 year olds based on the parent reviews, and it was a mistake. Even I didn't care for the graphic violence, complete with full sound effects. A menacing dog turns into a slithering demon-thing and chases a girl until she blows it up with a fiery explosion, a man is savagely beaten until he fesses up to something. When the scary mouthless guy meets the 2 kids at the cemetery, we finally turned it off. Maybe my kids are sensitive, but I am anticipating nightmares coming soon. CSM's age recommendation is way off here.
Adult Written byabbacus December 18, 2013

Does not live up to the book at all. ):

Being a huge fan of the CoB book I had very high expectations for the movie. TMI is my favorite book series, to date, so I wanted a good solid adaptation. As far as adaptations go, the movie wasn't awful. There were lots of things that I didn't like about it, but it could have been worse. I feel like this is pretty much just a film for the fans of the book(s). If you watch this without knowing the details of the plot from reading it, you will be terribly confused. More on that in a minute.... The movie started off very well. I loved the first 15 to 20 minutes. Then we get to the part where Clary meets Jace and the movie is still good. I liked the part with Luke toward the beginning. Shortly after this though, Jace takes Clary to the Institute and it was kind of downhill from there. Now, I think the strongest points of the movie were the action sequences and the acting in general. The fight scenes were very good and entertaining and there were quite a few of them. The only fight sequence I didn't like was the ending battle scene. It it wasn't bad it just dragged on forever (at least 30 mins) and that made me not like it. The casting I was not to thrilled with, but the acting the cast provided was good overall. The actors I were not impressed with were Godfrey Gao (Magnus), Johnathan Rhys Meyer (Valintine), and Jamie Campbell Bower (Jace). Lilly Collins as Clary, Aiden Turner as Luke, and Robert Sheehan as Simon were all great. Definitely my favorites in the movie. The huge problem with the film was how the plot/background/character/world building was handled. They tried to add in some character background and some history behind Shadowhunters but it wasn't enough. And this is the reason why people will get so confused. I knew this would be a problem when I heard they were making a CoB movie, and I wasn't really surprised that the effort was being made to adapt it to film. But just think about it....this is a book that is nearly 500 pages long - it's loaded with world-building, character development/relationships, and it is just very detailed and intricate overall. How to make this into a movie? Yeah, it won't be easy.... The movie was over 2 hours long and it's still missing so many important details that are crucial to understanding. I wish there would have been less focus on making scenes that weren't critical (there mostly just to add humor or cool effects) and more focus on the story. There were also many changes to various scenes. Some of which were okay, others I did not like. I'm not going to get into that though. Apparently the CoA is going to be made. It will be interesting to see how they do with that now that the first movie has left so much "messed up" for lack of a better term. To conclude, if you love the book like me you will most likely be disappointed, and if you are not a fan or haven't read this book you might find it entertaining but won't understand much of the deeper meaning of the plot. Would't necessarily recommend it, but I'm not going to tell you not to watch it.