All parent member reviews for The Mummy

Adult Written bymoviemadness June 5, 2011

So-so action flick -watch out for the racism

The Mummy is pretty squarely a shoddy action flick in my book. Fun, light, cool fight scenes, and etc. for teens and adults. Definitely not for kids -the violence in this movie is scary. People are buried alive, eaten alive by bugs, crushed, sacrificed, and stabbed. Perhaps the most disturbing feature of the film is that the white characters are portrayed as noble, brave, righteous, loyal, and intelligent while all of the Egyptian characters are either evil, or dumb, greedy, and opportunistic. On the plus side, Evie is bright, resourceful, full of spunk, and an excellent leader.
Adult Written byJuggernaut93 May 4, 2011

Good scary movie.

Ah the Mummy. This takes me back. This is a truly great film, but probably not A very kid-friendly one. Whether or not this movie is good for kids depends widely on the views of the parent, and what they don't want their kids to see. So without further ado: Violence: standard PG-13 stuff, although a few notable intense scenes. One of the various monsters on this movie are carrion beetles about the size of a cell phone, that burrow into the skin of victims. In most cases this results in death. Another thing is the Mummy himself. When he first appears, he is grotesque and rotting, almost skeletal. Not your stereotypical toilet-paper mummy. He has been accidentally raised from the dead by one of the protagonists, and seeks to return to his human form. To do this, he must remove the body parts of other men, eyes, tongue, ears, etc. Of course, no such scenes are shown, but the undead fellow shows up later, looking more and more like a complete human. In one case, the corpse of one of these victims is shown. He looks much like the mummy did at the beginning, withered and rotting. Aside from the main Mummy villain, there are many other that serve as his minions. These more resemble traditional mummies, and are wrapped in rotting cloth or in some cases armor. Cursing is standard PG-13 stuff. As for sexual content, there is one VERY scantily clad woman near the beginning, who is the wife of the pharaoh. Thats about it. This movie is certainly entertaining, and I would recommend it for 13 and up, but even then parents may need to fast-forward some of the scenes involving the beetles, as they are quite gross.
Parent of a 11 year old Written bycorneater January 23, 2010

No questionable behavior

Awesome! This movie has overly impressed me since I saw it a long time ago. It is the perfect movie to watch when you want a thrill but, it is not at all scary. The acting is Fantastic and the movie couldn't have been done any better. Nice job all u! You pulled it off!
Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written byJOHNSSC September 13, 2011

The Mummy (Written by a 10 year old)

Though violent The Mummy has no blood and very little adult scenes. There is cussing and, at various times during the movie men are seen drinking/smoking, one women appears to be drunk in a scene. Three men are seen with there faces melting. This is an excellent movie for kids who want to see a zombie movie but are not ready for a full fledged one, in a lot of the scenes they try to mix in some humor.
Adult Written bybdh July 3, 2011

scary

very good movie
Parent of a 4 and 5 year old Written bylkrs42 February 13, 2011

Might be a bit creepy

It says in the review that language is not an issue. There is plenty of swearing with some "bastards, sons of b******, a**" in both this and The Mummy Returns. But my kids really enjoyed both.
Adult Written bySarah Grace October 31, 2010

Okay....

I was probably 12 or 13 years old when I first saw this movie all the way through (before then I wasn't allowed to). There is swearing, and that lady, Anaksunamun, at the beginning is wearing only paint and something that resembles fishnets. There are scary parts. One of the things that I didn't realize, but bothers me now, is that they have the ten plagues in this movie - except it's presented as if the Mummy has the power over them - whereas in the Bible it was God that controlled the ten plagues. And God isn't evil like the Mummy. Other than all that, I think the highlights were the bits of educational information (although some of it is twisted to fit the story, such as the book of the dead. There really is a book of the dead, but it's WAY different than portrayed in the movie).
Parent Written byPlague February 26, 2010

The Mummy

Very cool and fun movie. Kids who can take the scares will love it.
Parent of a 11 year old Written byJenoi January 8, 2010

A bit scary for 11-year old, but he liked it.

My 11-year old found it a bit scary, but enjoyed it. Kinda like Indiana Jones.
Adult Written byRachel D April 9, 2008

Fun for older teens/adults

A great mix of adventure, comedy and just enough to scare you. Fun and harmless.
Adult Written byRocky4228 April 9, 2008

Adult Written bytrojan51 April 9, 2008

Adult Written byjaxmama April 9, 2008

Not a "family" movie!

I was surprised at the amount of violence, especially the death of minor characters, in this film. In addition to the violence, there were many gross/gory images that don't seem appropriate for kids. Some occultic elements too. Brendan Fraiser is great and there are some fun moments in the movie but I'm sure not interested in seeing the sequel.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byTsion April 9, 2008

Scary, Suspensful, Scary, Action-Packed, and did I say Scary?

THE MUMMY is well worth viewing. The spectacular special effects and so-so (closer to the good side) acting keep you on the edge of your seat. Rachel Weisz is the best as the heroine. But it's not for the sensitive. Flesh-eating bugs, mummified corpses, and stringy flesh await you in this flick. But the good news: no sex, besides for some mildly revealing Egyptian outfits. Mild langauge like scattered "d**n"s. Violence is huge, with guns, swords, spears, and bug-spitting mummies. But none of it's very graphic. Worth watching, but not for all. Recommended.