All parent member reviews for The Muppet Christmas Carol

Adult Written byfirstbornwonder April 9, 2008

A must see family Christmas movie

The only reason why I would suggest PG is because, as with all versions of the Christmas Carol, the scenes associated with the visits from the spirits may be scary for the younger children. Otherwise, this is one version of the Christmas Carol that our family enjoys year after year no matter how old we get.
Parent of a 8 year old Written bylibrarian4little1s April 9, 2008
Parent Written by4myB&K December 13, 2011

Ghost scary for 5 yr old and under.

There is an element of scariness. If you have younger kids, be aware that the first ghost of Christmas past can be pretty scary. Our 5yr old didn't want to finish watching the movie because of it.
Educator and Parent of an infant, 3, and 6 year old Written byJarinsa C. October 9, 2016

Classic!!!!

We watch this film every Christmas Eve, and it never gets old! My 3yo is in the not scared of anything phase, so she can make it past the Marley Brothers point. The kids love Rizzio The Rat and The Great Gonozo and claim that it's there favorite part of the movie. We start the film past bedtime so the kids fall asleep in the middle. My 3yo is asleep before the Ghost Of Christmas Past comes, and my 6yo is asleep (thank god) right before the Ghost of Chirstmas Future comes. My 6yo can handle the all of the ghosts that she's seen so far without nightmares. A great film! Just send your kids to bed or to go play in their rooms when the Ghost of Christmas Future shows up! P.S (The kids are asleep by the time that Tiny Tim is projected to die)
Adult Written byjmo97 May 17, 2016

Works as an adaptation AND a Muppet movie

The Muppet Christmas Carol is a musical and a retelling of the classic story by Charles Dickens, and it's done fairly well: the songs are pretty entertaining and the acting is good, with Michael Caine as Ebenezer Scrooge being my favorite one. There's not much to the film that should be of concern for parents, but little kids might be frightened with the portrayal of the spirits, especially the one from the future. There's also a version that has a song with young Scrooge and his love interest singing about how their relationship isn't working out, which may or may not be confusing or sad for young kids as well. Other than that, the movie's pretty good to watch as a family!
Adult Written byapplebutter December 7, 2012

Good Movie

This is a good movie. The Muppets are charming as ever. Michael Caine makes a not-too-scary Scrooge for the younger set. The music and songs are very good. There are a few parts that might be a bit scary for the younger set, mostly with the ghosts. Some are comical, but the last (a Grim Reaper) might creep out young, sensitive kids. Altogether a well-done and entertaining movie with a positive message.
Adult Written bynduns December 15, 2011

Uh... 4myB&K...

I can understand your kid maybe being scared of the Marley brothers, despite them being rather humorous, but how is the ghost of Christmas Past scary? She's the sweetest and gentlest of them all... it's because she looks like a china doll, isn't it? Yeah, that's not judgmental at all. Anyway, this still remains one of my favorite adaptations of the book. It's very well done and the songs are great. I only have a few gripes. The first one is... I didn't find this quite as funny as I used to. I used to think this movie was hilarious. Now it gets a light chuckle every now and then but that's about it. I'm also mixed about this version of Scrooge. In some bits, he comes across as more heartless than he's supposed to and in other moments, he comes across as more generous than he should. Still, I highly recommend this version.
Parent of a 11 and 15 year old Written byCeltic1962 April 21, 2011
Parent of a 7 year old Written bycatherine.audrey December 23, 2008

so fantastic, you've got to see it! we see it every year!

We have been watching this movie every year after thanksgiving since before we had a child. When the child came along we continued watching it. we distracted her during the ghost of christmas future part for a few years and now she has no problems with it. (now age 7) only bad part is the very long song. good time to go the bathroom.