All parent member reviews for The Muppet Christmas Carol

Adult Written byfirstbornwonder April 9, 2008

A must see family Christmas movie

The only reason why I would suggest PG is because, as with all versions of the Christmas Carol, the scenes associated with the visits from the spirits may be scary for the younger children. Otherwise, this is one version of the Christmas Carol that our family enjoys year after year no matter how old we get.
Parent of a 8 year old Written bylibrarian4little1s April 9, 2008

Adult Written byapplebutter December 7, 2012

Good Movie

This is a good movie. The Muppets are charming as ever. Michael Caine makes a not-too-scary Scrooge for the younger set. The music and songs are very good. There are a few parts that might be a bit scary for the younger set, mostly with the ghosts. Some are comical, but the last (a Grim Reaper) might creep out young, sensitive kids. Altogether a well-done and entertaining movie with a positive message.
Adult Written bynduns December 15, 2011

Uh... 4myB&K...

I can understand your kid maybe being scared of the Marley brothers, despite them being rather humorous, but how is the ghost of Christmas Past scary? She's the sweetest and gentlest of them all... it's because she looks like a china doll, isn't it? Yeah, that's not judgmental at all. Anyway, this still remains one of my favorite adaptations of the book. It's very well done and the songs are great. I only have a few gripes. The first one is... I didn't find this quite as funny as I used to. I used to think this movie was hilarious. Now it gets a light chuckle every now and then but that's about it. I'm also mixed about this version of Scrooge. In some bits, he comes across as more heartless than he's supposed to and in other moments, he comes across as more generous than he should. Still, I highly recommend this version.
Parent Written by4myB&K December 13, 2011

Ghost scary for 5 yr old and under.

There is an element of scariness. If you have younger kids, be aware that the first ghost of Christmas past can be pretty scary. Our 5yr old didn't want to finish watching the movie because of it.
Parent of a 11 and 15 year old Written byCeltic1962 April 21, 2011

Parent of a 7 year old Written bycatherine.audrey December 23, 2008

so fantastic, you've got to see it! we see it every year!

We have been watching this movie every year after thanksgiving since before we had a child. When the child came along we continued watching it. we distracted her during the ghost of christmas future part for a few years and now she has no problems with it. (now age 7) only bad part is the very long song. good time to go the bathroom.