All parent member reviews for The Muppets

Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written byMamaWu August 13, 2012

Overall, a great family movie which we plan to see again!

After reading all of the reviews, I was hesitant to let my 3 year old watch it with his 5 yo sibling. I decided to give it a try, prepared to fast forward through parts if necessary. I could have done without the first Jack Black scene, which ended in people (not puppets) punching each other. Other than that, my kids were not scared of the villains and we all enjoyed the music throughout the movie. There is a word here and there that we aren't allowed to use ("idiot", maybe) but I have found even 'G' rated movies have those, unfortunately (i.e. Toy Story). Overall, a cute, feel-good movie
Parent Written bymkap April 8, 2012

Don't Fear the Muppets

I love this movie, and so do my kids (ages almost 2 and 3 and a half). I want to address the minority of commenters who managed to find objectionable content in this beautiful movie. There are three or four punches thrown over the course of the movie, none of them graphic or disturbing. The villains are not scary - they're muppets, after all. A few people mentioned a scene where Walter (a muppet) tries to go over a fence that turns out to be electrified- this scene lasts about 4 seconds and is not disturbing, resulting only in some shaking, bad hair, a dirty face, and a somewhat dazed muppet who sits up immediately and is obviously not hurt. Unless you have scared your kid in advance by explaining the real effects of a real electrified fence (something I do not advise unless you live on a farm or a high security top secret laboratory), this is not a scary scene. Most mystifying to me is the commenter who objects to a song "Forget Me", asking "Do you want your kids humming that song?" My first thought was "Huh?" because I didn't recognize the song, even after seeing the movie multiple times. The song in question is sung by a group of muppet chickens, and here are the lyrics: "Buck buck buck buck buck buck, bucka buck buck buck (i.e., they sing it in chicken-ese). I don't know what the real lyrics are, but they are not in the movie, at all. In the plus column, the movie has catchy, witty songs, hilarious 80's nostalgia for the grownups, and good messages about friendship, loyalty, believing in yourself, and yes, electrified fences.
Parent Written byConscience Mama November 26, 2011

A Little More Info

I agree with the CS review, but would also add a couple things I would have liked to clue my children into beforehand. There is a "what the heck", Fozzie the Bear has some "farting" shoes which he references periodically through the film, and there is one scene when the Muppets are trying to sell their show to a TV exec and she shows them an example of the shows that are popular now - the example is called "Punch Teacher" and in the brief scene there is a teacher getting punched in a guillotine-style contraption. It was slightly alarming. Otherwise, I was able to tell my boys about the use of the words "butt" and "idiot" ahead of time along with the fight scene at the anger management retreat, which prepared us for a sweet family outing.
Parent of a 3 and 7 year old Written byJenC November 23, 2011

Awesome for kids and parents!

We won tickets to the premiere, and I took both our kids (7 and 3) without checking the rating. I'm glad I didn't check, because it would have made me worried about taking my little guy, and I honestly don't think there was anything in the movie that warranted a PG rating. I assume it's due to the mild violence, but really, it didn't worry me at all while watching. The kids enjoyed it a lot, but I think my husband and I loved it even more! A really happy, feel good movie for the whole family!
Parent Written bySEA_BoyGirlTwins_Dad December 3, 2011

Common sense media - you are losing me. These Muppets aren't for 5 year olds.

Why is it that movies lay claim to a "positive message" by having a happy ending, but dragging a child through a constant fear of failure during the entire movie. This movie fails over and over again to entertain the way we remember the Muppets entertaining us as children on TV. Rather, lovable characters are inserted into a heavy plot to bait us into believing that good times are just around the corner. This movie is an absurd re-introduction of the Muppets to small children. I recommend it for 8 years old and up that are more primed for suspenseful stories, and adults that want to see their childhood favorites recast in a punched up contemporary, big screen story filled with star studded cameo appearances that simply are missed on kids.
Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy October 11, 2012

Just perfect!

THis movie was pretty funny! It's comedy relief! I'm glad The Muppets are back! I love the old show and this movie!
Parent Written byConservativeParent July 3, 2012

My kids and I enjoyed

Overall great. I watched it with my 11, 9 and 6 yearolds. It has a great lessons in it, friendship and companionship. I would do without the (very) brief exposure to the sexual sidekicks to the "bad guy" and some violence with some gunshots (Split second) to illustrate Fuzzys location and other fist fights throughout.
Parent Written byDan G. April 23, 2012

Not as innocent as the original Muppet movies!

The reviewer of 'The Muppets' (Sandie Angulo Chen) missed some objectionable material that makes the most recent Muppet Movie more objectionable that the ones that were created by Jim Henson. 1. The two main human characters, a man and a woman, unmarried (and unengaged) take a vacation together and it is clearly shown that they are staying in the same motel room. Only one bed is shown, and in one scene, they are sitting on it together. This seems to teach children that it is OK for unmarried couples to take vacations and sleep together. 2. One song used for the movie is a current song by Cee Lo Green, called 'F**k You'. I am NOT kidding. The lyrics are not sung in the movie, as the chickens are only capable of 'bocking' instead of singing, but the inclusion of such a disgusting song is unforgivable. It is clear that things have changed at Muppet Movie Labs since Disney became involved, and it is not good.
Adult Written byJEDI micah April 4, 2012

THEY'RE BACK!!!

Like the old show, this movie is so cute! This is the perfect movie for the whole family! Kids will love it, and even you parents will love it especially!
Parent Written bymamabird2012 March 25, 2012

80's kids, rejoice!

I have to admit... I didn't take the kids to this one. As soon as I heard they were coming out with a new muppet movie, my fiancee and I made plans to see it along. We're 80's kids through and through... couldn't miss the opportunity to catch this gem! Now that it's out on DVD, I'll be buying it for the rest of the family. There was nothing in the movie that I would have cringed at in front of my DD, but I know at her age if it's not animated, she has little interest in it. Great movie all in all! And I love Jason Seigal!
Adult Written byShortswald March 3, 2012

Best Family Movie Ever!

The film is an excellent tale of following your dreams. The film's comedy is all innocent and childish. The characters of this movie are all great role models because they represent of pursuing their dreams no matter what obstacle they are facing. Kids will love this movie, I recommend it to kids of all ages, best muppets film ever and one of the funniest films I ever seen in my life.
Parent Written byidahodude February 28, 2012

too much and too little for under 6...

I was warned by folks on this site that it is a bit scary and violent, and yet was still surprised by just how much violence. I didn't see anybody mention the scene where the main character (a cute muppett kid) gets thrown on an electric fence and is shown sparking and sizzling for a couple seconds before falling to the ground smoking. My bad perhaps for not giving enough weight to other parents' warnings. My daughter was also fairly bored at times, needed a lot of help with the plot, and most of the jokes were aimed at adults.
Parent Written bymeetoo January 11, 2012

Left smiling, singing and dancing

lots of musical silliness and cameos - true Muppet style.. just wished there could have been more Muppet Show and less build up to the show!
Parent Written byOneMomsOpinion January 9, 2012

Good clean fun

Parent Written byJulie-wray January 7, 2012

Not great for younger kids

I did not like the violence (several instances of punching, including punching a teacher in restraints, throwing a bowling ball at someone, etc), and most of the themes/plot were boring for my 4-year-old daughter, some of it was even pretty depressing. For avid Muppets fans and older kids this movie may be great, but not so much for younger ones. When I asked her what she liked best, she said "the big party at the end", referring to the final scene with singing/dancing/happiness. Also the lovely message about finding your own talent was a minor sidebar given short shrift by the fact that the character suddenly became a virtuoso performer, with no preparation, hard work, or even earlier hints that said talent existed.
Adult Written byRaptor69 January 5, 2012

For Family

This is a great family movie
Parent Written byRobbyWBoy16 January 2, 2012

the muppets movie 2011

good extrodunarii muppet movie with lots of good songs.
Parent Written bymountain mama January 2, 2012

Excellent for the whole family!

My children (6 and 8) loved it, but I think my husband and I, having grown up in the 70's watching the Muppet Show, loved it even more. The characters sing and dance and pay homage to the old show, while engaging in battle with a stock villain. Good clean family fun!
Parent Written byTX_Guide December 29, 2011

Beware the Chicken Dance Number

I have tried to post this comment twice to warn parents of the use of a very adult song in this movie, but the post never make onto the board. Who thinks it is ok to feature the song "Forget You" in a children's movie? Seriously for five year olds? Do you want your kid humming that?
Parent of a 10 year old Written byfriendlytoanimals December 27, 2011

Super fun movie!

Our family all loved this movie! We couldn't stop singing the man/muppet song for weeks. This said, the muppets have always had some punching and flinging each other around that I wish they would let go of. Overall though, it's a sweet tribute to the told t.v. show and definitely my favorite muppet movie since the original.