Parent reviews for The Muppets

The Muppets Poster Image

5 and 8 year old demanded I turn it off

This really didn't seem like a children's movie. There was a lot of adult humor and themes, and the plot was too difficult for my 5 year old to understand. The idea of a woman in a relationship with man who is inattentive and emotionally unavailable was over my daughter's head. I thought this would be like the old Muppets with puppets doing funny little skits, but it was mostly actors accompanied by Muppets. My kids only watched 15 minutes and then asked if we could watch Wild Krats instead - a nonfiction TV show about animals. So, I guess that tells you something about the entertainment value of this movie. I'm disappointed I paid Amazon Prime's fee to rent this one. Wasted $4.
1 person found this helpful.

Dissapointing muppet movie

I only went to see this because it looked like it was the best thing playing at my local theatre. The other things playing were Arthur Christmas(which looks terrible),Happy Feet 2 (which also doesn't look that good),Jack and Jill(which I really wanted to see,but this looked better),Puss In Boots(which just looks REALLY bad),Twilight 4(which looks EXTREMELY bad) and Tower Heist(which I wanted to see,but it was only on late at night). Let's just say that I'm starting to regret not seeing something else. I've loved the muppets ever since I was little and even though this movie looked VERY good,it was kind dissapointing. Now i've only seen 3 of the muppet movies(the first one,muppets from space and this one) and I can honestly say that muppets from space was my favourite. I mean,don't get me wrong the movie was funny and when it's funny,it's REALLY funny even though there are some slow and boring parts. It just wasn't as good or as funny as it should of been. Sorry fellow muppet fans,but if your'e like me you will be dissapointed with this movie despite the critical acclaim(to tell you the truth I don't even know why critics liked it so much,but they did).So bottom line: if you want to see this movie, just rent it.Don't waste your money seeing it at the movies. Also I have no idea why this movie was rated PG because it is appropriate for all ages.

1 person found this helpful.

I know the age may seem extreme, but you need to be old enough to have your values sorted out because of the negative message

(Written by wife of user): I had my 9 year old watch this thinking this would be fine (I put a limit of 7 or 8 on any muppets movies because I'm sure they meet the qualification of Y7 for TV). I was wrong. Kermit is normally supposed to be a role model, but here he makes some pretty poor choices and they make it seem like he's making an important step forward for society. They even remind you of his role model persona because he seems disappointed about the Punch Teacher show and the way morals are going , so your child is already going to be perked to look up to him and he fails big time. The muppets under Kermit decide that preserving nostalgics makes them above the law, and it leads to kidnapping. There's also a reference to wet dreams and the pig puppet puts her (covered) privates in the face of the character they kidnapped for what seemed to be a VERY long time to knock him out/gag him whatever (her legs are on either side of his face). Finally my child kept rooting for the bad guy to be hit with a bowling ball. A puppet with the crude name of Gonzo by the way (yes it'll go over your child's head but I thought I'd mention it--as I really don't love muppet movies and want to point out that they are typically pretty rude, but a few are alright which is why I'm still interested in watching them) keeps swinging his arm over and over with a bowling ball but couldn't release it, but is able to do it at the bad guy. Once I realized that my impressionable child was being manipulated into thinking violence that could kill was a good thing and was a normal way to deal with a problem, I said that's it...no more of these movies for awhile, and I really hope my husband doesn't want to see the next one. Why couldn't the bad guy have been arrested instead of being attacked by nostalgic vigilantes? There's no reason they couldn't have raised money for another theater; it seemed like the writers were using the sad looking theater as an excuse to attack certain people/industries. There also was an implication that the English were evil as well. It's possible that your child could watch this as a preteen at the dentist because those are the only entertaining parts and it gets worse as time goes on and they probably won't get that far.

Disney The Muppets

A great comeback for the muppets.

Good for kids

It was a great family film with amazing puppetwork and jokes.

Not so interesting, fun moments and that's it

Our 5 year old watched about half and fell asleep, and wasn't seem to laugh at all. It's well made and colorful but not so great. The chicken singing Cee Lo Green was just hilarious.

Decent, but not as good as the original show

First, let me say that if I could give this film 3 1/2 stars, instead of 4, I would. Pros: *There is nothing objectionable in this film. No characters calling each other "stupid" or violence or overly scary villains. This is rare for kids films these days and I wish more film studios would tailor movies appropriately to a young audience this way. *There's copious amounts of singing and dancing - another plus for kids. *It's largely a happy and cheerful movie, which is refreshing. Cons: *The songs are actually pretty unmemorable. Again, there is nothing objectionable about the music; it just can't hold a candle to any of the songs from the original show. the choice to feature songs from the early 80s - the Muppet's heyday - wears thin quickly too. *The script could be tighter and better paced. Compared with a sharp, first-rate film like The Lego Movie, this story and the direction come across as a little amateurish and kind of lackluster. *The main female character is so underdeveloped, a mannequin could have played her. I'm glad Amy Adams received a paycheck for this film, but her talent is wasted here. *The film is very much a loving homage to the original Muppet studio, but in going back to these roots it just makes me want to watch the original episodes instead. The original Muppet Show was so much more superior to this film. Our family has watched this movie once, will probably never view it again, and will now turn our attentions to the original show.

Best for older kids, younger kids need parental guidance

This was the first in-theater movie I took my 3 year old daughter to. She enjoyed it, and most of the off-color humor went over her head. However there were a few parts that she found scary or confusing, and that I had trouble explaining. The villains, while quite silly to adults, could still seem mean and threatening to a small child. There is a scene where the example of bad TV is called "Punch Teacher" - a brief but shocking moment of violence. The movie also contains some frenetic, chaotic scenes which were a little overstimulating for my sensory-oriented child. We sat in the back of the theater so it wouldn't be so overwhelming. Overall I felt ok about her watching it with my supervision and guidance, and I really enjoyed it myself.

Just perfect!

THis movie was pretty funny! It's comedy relief! I'm glad The Muppets are back! I love the old show and this movie!