All parent member reviews for The Muppets

Parent of a 3 and 7 year old Written byJenC November 23, 2011

Awesome for kids and parents!

We won tickets to the premiere, and I took both our kids (7 and 3) without checking the rating. I'm glad I didn't check, because it would have made me worried about taking my little guy, and I honestly don't think there was anything in the movie that warranted a PG rating. I assume it's due to the mild violence, but really, it didn't worry me at all while watching. The kids enjoyed it a lot, but I think my husband and I loved it even more! A really happy, feel good movie for the whole family!
Adult Written byMKJacobs November 23, 2011

Too scary for my kids

This movie was too scary for my four year old and six year old. The villains are very menacing (no one gets hurt, but one has an ax, another is sharpening a knife, there is a lot of punching in the face and mean threats). The humor was fun for my husband and me (lots of 80s references), but it felt like the movie was aimed at our generation of Muppet fans and not for young kids.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byZenMama November 25, 2011

Fun for parents AND kids

This movie is hilarious. My 3yo and 6yo enjoyed it. Nothing inappropriate, no double-entendre, just good clean Muppet fun. For those of us who grew up on the Muppets, there are a lot of references you'll get. There is plenty of intelligent humor to entertain parents.
Parent Written byConscience Mama November 26, 2011

A Little More Info

I agree with the CS review, but would also add a couple things I would have liked to clue my children into beforehand. There is a "what the heck", Fozzie the Bear has some "farting" shoes which he references periodically through the film, and there is one scene when the Muppets are trying to sell their show to a TV exec and she shows them an example of the shows that are popular now - the example is called "Punch Teacher" and in the brief scene there is a teacher getting punched in a guillotine-style contraption. It was slightly alarming. Otherwise, I was able to tell my boys about the use of the words "butt" and "idiot" ahead of time along with the fight scene at the anger management retreat, which prepared us for a sweet family outing.
Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written bysarafmc November 26, 2011

Fun movie, a little complicated and spooky for the small ones.

We took my 7 and 10 year olds, and my 4 year old nephew. The grownups and my kids liked it a lot. The 7 and 10 year old could follow the plot, and got the jokiness of the villains and dark spots. The 4 year old got scared, refused to watch anymore by about halfway through and had to be taken out - the dark scenes and the villains spooked him, even with his mom and cousin reassuring him. I'm not sure my daughter would have liked it when she was 5, and not even sure she would have gotten so much out of it when she was 6. I agree with other reviewers that this movie is at least half directed at grownup Muppet fans, lots of nostalgia for those of us who grew up watching the TV show.
Adult Written byricky12100 November 23, 2011

funny and goodmovie

if you have a kid that loves learning and laughing this is the moive
Parent of a 7 year old Written byNoraandco. November 25, 2011

Dom't pass this movie up!!!

We were all very impressed with The Muppets.... the movie had us laughing up a storm and the nostalgia of reliving the Muppets in all their glory was heart-warming. This movie was filled with positive messages from the beginning, and we all left feeling very happy that we chose to see this movie. There was some product placement- like Tab, Coke, Cars 2, Sephora, but all-in-all I have nothing but great things to say. THANK YOU for keeping this movie innocently funny!
Parent Written bymrscarmom November 25, 2011

Yea, I cried!

How refreshing and simple... and how cool to connect with our kids over somthing we watched, "when we were growing up"
Parent of a 9, 10, 14, and 14 year old Written bynew guy02 November 24, 2011

should be fine

i would like to tell parents with samller kids that this movie is rated pg and may contain some inapropriate content for smaller kids but this looks like it should be just fine and a great thanksgiving treat for all ages
Parent of a 7 and 8 year old Written byDanzaJoy November 25, 2011

Great family film for kids and adults

I laughed out loud so many times, and so did my 8-year-old, sometimes for the same jokes, and sometimes by myself or with my husband. I loved the Muppets in the '80s. I loved the '80s. So in addition to being a charming, wonderful story, it was a treat to go down memory lane. There's plenty of humor for both children and adults. And, despite too much cartoon violence for my tastes, the movie opened up my son's heart which poured out love and appreciation during and after the film. He's now asking if he can talk with Miss Piggy (he knows I'm a fan of hers on Facebook) to get the group together and can we please go see their studios. Instead of doing karate moves, he was very sweet to his seven-year-old sister (who was less thrilled and tired from the later-than-bedtime end time of the movie). Even my husband, who HATES musicals, liked this movie.
Adult Written byage 10+ November 27, 2011

Dissapointing muppet movie

I only went to see this because it looked like it was the best thing playing at my local theatre. The other things playing were Arthur Christmas(which looks terrible),Happy Feet 2 (which also doesn't look that good),Jack and Jill(which I really wanted to see,but this looked better),Puss In Boots(which just looks REALLY bad),Twilight 4(which looks EXTREMELY bad) and Tower Heist(which I wanted to see,but it was only on late at night). Let's just say that I'm starting to regret not seeing something else. I've loved the muppets ever since I was little and even though this movie looked VERY good,it was kind dissapointing. Now i've only seen 3 of the muppet movies(the first one,muppets from space and this one) and I can honestly say that muppets from space was my favourite. I mean,don't get me wrong the movie was funny and when it's funny,it's REALLY funny even though there are some slow and boring parts. It just wasn't as good or as funny as it should of been. Sorry fellow muppet fans,but if your'e like me you will be dissapointed with this movie despite the critical acclaim(to tell you the truth I don't even know why critics liked it so much,but they did).So bottom line: if you want to see this movie, just rent it.Don't waste your money seeing it at the movies. Also I have no idea why this movie was rated PG because it is appropriate for all ages.
Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written bySmurfette711 November 27, 2011

Fun for the whole family!

This was a very entertaining movie. I liked the emphasis on doing the right thing and helping others. Good, clean fun for everyone! Take the grandparents to see it too :)
Parent Written bySEA_BoyGirlTwins_Dad December 3, 2011

Common sense media - you are losing me. These Muppets aren't for 5 year olds.

Why is it that movies lay claim to a "positive message" by having a happy ending, but dragging a child through a constant fear of failure during the entire movie. This movie fails over and over again to entertain the way we remember the Muppets entertaining us as children on TV. Rather, lovable characters are inserted into a heavy plot to bait us into believing that good times are just around the corner. This movie is an absurd re-introduction of the Muppets to small children. I recommend it for 8 years old and up that are more primed for suspenseful stories, and adults that want to see their childhood favorites recast in a punched up contemporary, big screen story filled with star studded cameo appearances that simply are missed on kids.
Parent of a 6 and 6 year old Written byjeffedsell December 16, 2011

You simply can't go wrong with this one.

Go see it. We've seen it twice and may go again.
Educator and Parent Written byhii! December 5, 2011

BAD

BAD
Parent Written byobnoxiousm November 30, 2011

Any great message for older kids is too nuanced for the littlest ones; this is no exception

Well, I cried. The Rainbow Connection gets me every time. As far as corny kids musicals go, this is fantastic. For adult viewing, if you can put up with a very Sesame-Street feeling for the first 20 minutes, it's surprisingly nuanced. All the major muppets are so much more complex and dynamic than I remember, in positive, emotionally mature ways. Piggy is shown to have learned from her terrible temper; Kermit seems to open up more than I ever recall. Animal learns a little bit of balance in his life. Gonzo and Fozzie are still pathetic, but hey, you can't have it all. I have three big concerns about this movie: the violence, the status of muppets, and the consumerism. I'll address them in turn. The violence is fine for most kids who are able to reason, but the very young ones could come to some very nasty conclusions here. There's a mildly violent kidnapping, some intentional fighting, and some serious vandalism, but it isn't the acts themselves that concern me. It's that they get away with it. The kidnapping in the film goes unpunished except for chastisement from Kermit, and an accidental violent act later acts as a sort of deus ex machina for the plot. Young children may not be able to process that violence is wrong when they see someone get away with it, so be mindful of your little ones' moral development. The status of puppets in the world of this movie concerns me a little. Walter is portrayed as a misfit and almost disabled for being a puppet, and his actual genetic relationship to his brother is unclear. Is being a puppet like having a disability? Are random people born into flesh families as puppets and subsequently treated badly as if they were another class of people? Talk to your kids about what it means to be different and whether being different is bad when you watch this. Even the older ones. Please. Lastly, money and wealth are equated with both tremendous power and freedom and horrific restriction and shame. While a balanced, nuanced look at rights in the arts, the plight of washed up performers, and the difficulty of balancing wealth and freedom, this may be too hard for young kids to understand. They may just see all the shiny bling and costumes and decide that money and fame are good, without realizing what it cost for characters like Fozzie, Gonzo, and Piggy. The muppets and villains both commit serious crimes for money. You might want to nix any associations of kidnapping and money in your little ones before they take hold and discuss it right after the movie. This is a great movie for all ages, but it could use a little aftercare in those whose morality still consists of avoiding punishment or being a good boy/good girl.
Parent of a 9, 11, and 13 year old Written bymjb1922 November 28, 2011

Lots of fun for Muppet fans (it's not the Sesame ones though)

My kids (9, 11 & 13) all enjoyed this movie. I remember the old show & LOVED the movie and laughed a lot. The music is upbeat and the working together message is great.
Parent Written byTX_Guide December 29, 2011

Beware the Chicken Dance Number

I have tried to post this comment twice to warn parents of the use of a very adult song in this movie, but the post never make onto the board. Who thinks it is ok to feature the song "Forget You" in a children's movie? Seriously for five year olds? Do you want your kid humming that?
Adult Written by45678 November 26, 2011

a

Parent of a 11 and 13 year old Written bybeachmama November 27, 2011

Great family outing:)

Very funny movie but "Gary" should have been played by Will Farrell who can actually sing AND dance....Some classic Muppet moments that made it all worth it!