Parent reviews for The Mustang

Soulful horse movie has moments of shocking violence.

Based on 1 review
Adult Written byDavid magyar April 10, 2020

Adult Written byGilbourgeois June 24, 2019

A deep dive

The director manages to totally bring us in the story. I had an amazing series of different feelings going through me all along the movie

Parent of a 7, 10, and 12-year-old Written byRoss S. June 20, 2019

Terrific horse and his boy story

The moment the inmate Roman is forgiven by his horse Marcus, we least expect it. What a powerful story of honesty and forgiveness. If you watch the movie up to that point, you'll have had plenty of language, illicit jailyard transactions that happen too quickly to really understand, a scary storm scene in a dark kitchen with untrained horses, and some violence no worse than what I saw on my own school playgrounds.

If you watch the movie after that, the honesty and forgiveness go deeper. So do the violence and drugs. The murder is particularly troubling, both for watching the man die, and for the retributive justice after.

While the story is simple and the spiritual growth of the characters really moving, the social world of the prison is a little confusing. Even if you skipped the murder scene, I still wouldn't recommend this movie below age 14. Stop watching when prisoner and horse first touch, I'd say age 12. But what kid would ever want to stop watching there?

I still give five stars. Prison life's gonna be confusing, considering who the inmates were before they got there, right?