All parent member reviews for The Orphanage

Parent of a 17 year old Written byTsion February 9, 2013

Fantastic Mystery...Creepy but Not Gory

THE ORPHANAGE is a perfect scary movie for adults and teens who like unsettling myseries without lots of blood, carnage, or violence. The movie is genuinely scary, but not in a disturbing or scarring way. It's more of a what's-behind-the-door type, edge-of-your-seat exhilaration. The plot revolves around a woman named Laura, who plans on re-opening the orphanage where she spent her childhood. Soon after she arrives with her husband and son, the son starts speaking to a strange "friend" and other apparitions. Laura believes her son's imaginary playmates are harmless until he disappears, and she must confront the restless spirits in the house to get him back. Violence in the movie is mild by current horror standards, but is the reason for the mild R rating. A woman shockingly and suddenly gets hit by a bus, and we briefly see a flash of her corpse with its jaw dislocated. A woman overdoses on pills to commit suicide. The "f" word is used once or twice in the film's subtitles. Other than that, the movie is devoid of graphic images or sexual content.
Parent Written bytreat02 February 17, 2012

good movie, not that scary, no worries

This is a great movie! I know its rating, but my ten year old and I saw it and really liked it. My only precaution is the f-word. There is not a lot of profanity but that is a little much. It's not a horror movie, but a sweet story with a couple of scary parts.
Parent Written byJohn Walsh February 11, 2012

A very emotionally disturbing piece

Despite it's R-Rating, it is more of a PG-13 movie. It is not very gory (there are, of course some bad injuries and decaying bodies). One use of F**k and S**t (both are in the same scene) and no sex. But it is VERY scary and the while the ending is uplifting, it is also horribly depressing and will leave you in tears. It is a very well crafted movie and I highly recommend it to a good variety of audiences
Adult Written byNeonKennedy November 10, 2011

good movie. It does get a little slow.

This ghost movie was most likely not made for little kids. Dark themes include: a little boy gets trapped in his own house and dies of AIDES, it is implied that young children bully a deformed child. a woman who works at an orphanage poisons and murders the children. A woman also becomes bloody road kill. The movie can be very spooky (when you watch it alone) but it is also engaging as the main character gets more involved in the mystery of ghosts.