All parent member reviews for The Parent Trap

Parent of a 1, 4, and 6 year old Written bythumai November 10, 2008

Great family movie for kids 5+... except for a few scenes

My 4 and 6 yr old girls (esp the older one) loved this show. My younger one enjoyed the show but still doesn't have the attention-span to watch a show this long. They loved the funny summer camp scenes and the dual/switching roles of Hallie/Annie. Somewhat inappropriate scenes for this age group were the scene of Martin in his speedo and the lookover he gets; the scene of Annie talking to Meredith about just being with her Dad because of money/sex; Mom being drunk getting off the plane. Being a stepmom myself (to a visting step-d), my kids didn't understand why stepmoms are always portrayed as mean and not nice to stepchildren (similar to many princesss Disney shows as well).
Adult Written bytommysportsgirl April 9, 2008

There was nothing wrong with this movie. It's a sequal as good as, if not better than, the original!!
Parent of a 14 year old Written byTsion August 11, 2009

A Fun Family Movie...

Parents need to know that this PG rating is very mild, aside from a few sexual references that will go over kids's heads. When shopping with her mother (who designs wedding gowns), a girl asks if making gowns for marriages makes her think of the "f word". The mother, startled, asks her to clarifly, and the girl says that she meant "father". An engaged couple seems to have had sex before marriage, and the groom's daughter picks up on this, saying to the bride that "marriage is supposed to be about more than sex". The same engaged couple makes a seductive remark about "checking out the honeymoon suite". Both of the main characters tell frequent white lies to get their parents back together, and those lies apparently go unpunished. One character gets very drunk, and is presented, at a bar, with a strong drink ("don't ask what's in it").
Adult Written byCorrine1028 March 26, 2011

Pretty good for tweens and teens!

I love the poker scene where they betting everything they have!:) Love the cabin prank!:) Even though it's messy. It's funny! There's a few things that bother me about like how there's no consequences for the girls lying, Meredith thinking that she can have their dad just like that and not want the girls.Also the consumerism of the oreos.The only part that worries me about sex is when Meredith says your looking at a girl who had their twelve year old molars out early.Some parts aren't for little kids.
Adult Written byMommaTracey April 9, 2008

Cute update of classic

I really like this movie. It's a fun movie that can be watched over and over again. Now my daughter (age 6 1/2) is watching it with me and enjoying it. I have only 2 complaints. First, I wish that the Mom hadn't felt the need to get drunk because while it is funny how she copes with the situations, it also makes drunkenness seem acceptable and it's not acceptable in our family. Second, I wish that the movie had been made with a little less skin and "sexy". I realize though that my standards are set WAY higher than the vast majority of people. If you are sensitive to this issue you should be aware that there is kissing, some "sexy" talk, and a British guy in a speedo. Overall, it's a Two Thumbs Up movie and I heartily recommend it. :~)
Adult Written byAbracadebra April 9, 2008

A family favorite

My 7 year old and I absolutely love this movie, and watch it a few times a year for our family movie nights. It is a great remake of the Disney classic from the 1960s, with a very appealing young Lindsay Lohan carrying off the dual-lead role with amazing skill. There are a few things that keep this movie out of the G rating territory: a scene in which the mum has a few too many drinks; an unlovely view of the butler in a Speedo; a reference to "the F word" that turns out to mean "Father." Single/divorced parents should be aware that the movie suggests that a one-parent family is incomplete, and you may need to be prepared to talk about that with your offspring. Otherwise, a fun, happy movie, with a great and varied soundtrack, and an ADORABLE Dennis Quaid thrown in to keep us mommies happy!
Parent Written byeliw November 8, 2014

THE BEST

i think its a really good movie and a littel inopropreit
Parent Written bycooldad101 August 4, 2010

Good.

My 9 year old really likes this movie and she has the book. Hardly notices when one of the twins jumps off the dock.
Parent of an infant, 4, 5, 7, and 11 year old Written bymkenna6 June 29, 2010

parent trap movie

This is the perfect family love/funny story! This movie is good for all ages! Their is a scene wher a girl has a dare and she had to jump into the lake nude but all its shows is her ancles... But the camp is an all girl camp so no boys were in the cap scenes... The movie is great and i think who ever hasent seen it yet is really missing out because its really good.
Parent Written byRob79 March 22, 2009

Cute remake

This one is fun to watch. The story is (still) implausible, but Lohan is appealing as the two girls and the other characters are well cast. Some behavior (tricks and lying) that could be criticized, but it's not central or overemphasized in the plot.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 July 6, 2012

the parent trap

Families can talk about divorce. How does this movie portray divorce? Is it realistic? Parents may want to reassure kids if they're distressed by the fact that the parents split up the twins and made no attempt to see the child they gave up. How does this movie compare to the original? Why are some remakes good, while others pale in comparison to the original?
Educator and Parent Written bychristian-witness June 29, 2012

ok

Adult Written byklatskinfamily April 9, 2008

Educator and Parent Written byCommonSenseChristian January 1, 2013

Pretty Good, but Booby-Trapped in Some Areas

The remake of the 1961 classic is quite enjoyable, and it's a nice change to see the now-troubled Lindsay Lohan in her first clean, youthful role. Hallie and Annie are cute, sweet girls, and their desire for family togetherness is laudable, if heartbreaking. As the main review has noted, the plot's amount of deceit may make it a no-go for some families, particularly deceit on the part of the parents. There's also, of course, the danger that children who've experienced divorce may hold out hope for the kind of ending Hallie and Annie get, even if that's not what's best for them. Since one twin lives in CA, the wine industry and drinking play a prominent role; not something to be taken lightly. The twins also play poker at camp, which leads to a nude dive in the lake (the camera is discreet). Those aside, if your tween is mature enough to understand that separations can be complicated, and that some kids are too mature for their own good, this is an enjoyable film.
Parent of a 17 and 17 year old Written bypoppinsfan August 14, 2015

Adult Written byclarence August 6, 2015

Educator and Parent of a 2 and 5 year old Written byILoveMyWife July 12, 2015

Ugly as heck!

This offensive movie made by LL uses God's name in vain around 10 times! There's also lots of drinking and nudity. NEVER SHOW THIS TO KIDS UNDER 16! Should be rated R or even NC-17, NOT PG YOU GOSHDANGIT! Hell I've seen less profanities in all the PG-13 and a few 'R' movies I've seen.